New GLK- Safari Bars/Brush Guards/Bumper Bars and Universal Media Interface

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350
New GLK- Safari Bars/Brush Guards/Bumper Bars and Universal Media Interface

Hello all,

Just joined this forum. Glad I found it because there seems to be a lot more GLK information than benzworld.org.

Anyway, I just bought my GLK and I absolutely love it. I am considering installing the Universal Media Interface to upgrade the stock LCD Screen to Nav (this also incorporates an ipod integration system and bluetooth music). Has anyone with a GLK done this?

Also- I am considering getting the safari bars (aka nudge bars) shown in the link below (the front and rear bumer guard). Has anyone here bought these? They seem to be one of the only manufacturers of safari bars specifically for the GLK. I think they look OK but I am more interested in them for purposes of practicality (i.e., so people don't mess up my bumper). Any input on looks/practicality/experiences with non-Mercedes safari bars on their GLK would be appreciated. Post pics if possible Thanks.

Auto-Beauty, Inc ; Introducing VanGuard Off-Road Products
Old 01-20-2011, 03:35 PM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
congrats on the new purchase. in my own opinion the safari bars kill the look of the glk. to offroadish looking.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:38 PM

GLK 350, E430
Hmm. Not sure that the round chrome tubes look right to me with the angular styling of our GLKs. But they sure do up the testosterone and turn down the 'baby-ute' factor. It's good to see someone is making more add-ons for us. So, good find.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:40 PM

GLK 350, E430
Oh hey and...VEERODDER...that is a sick looking GLK dude. I've seen your posts and meant to comment before now. Sweet!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:44 PM

GLK 350
Agreed on the chrome, which is why I am thinking of powder-coating them black (since my GLK is steel grey I think that black would blend in more). I also am not yet sold on the look but I agree with harmonda that it "ups the testosterone." I kind of like that about them. They are actually pretty inexpensive so I am thinking that I will get them and can always remove them if I find them to be offensive looking.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Originally Posted by adamg2302
Agreed on the chrome, which is why I am thinking of powder-coating them black (since my GLK is steel grey I think that black would blend in more). I also am not yet sold on the look but I agree with harmonda that it "ups the testosterone." I kind of like that about them. They are actually pretty inexpensive so I am thinking that I will get them and can always remove them if I find them to be offensive looking.
Not my cup of tea but each to his own. Since the link doesn't give prices what are we talking about? You said you wanted these for the bumper protection. Where do you live that you think you need them? Because they are well just you know. Like Harmonda said they ruin the lines.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:04 PM

GLK 350
MkenM- I live in Chicago. People here just seem to destroy bumpers when they parallel park. It's ridiculously annoying.

I still am thinking about whether I am going to make the purchase but, as far as the tubular bars not looking good with a sharp-angled vehicle, I would have to disagree simply based on the attached pic. Obviously the G isn't everyone's cup of tea but I happen to think it's a great looking vehicle. Unfortunately I can't find great pics online of GLK's with a bull bar attached so I cant figure out whether, as some of you believe, the look is mismatched (i.e., a more refined looking vehicle with a serious off-road accessory).

As mentioned by others in different threads, I would also like the black bumper pads that only seem to be available in Europe.
Attached Thumbnails New GLK- Safari Bars/Brush Guards/Bumper Bars and Universal Media Interface-g.jpg  
Old 01-21-2011, 08:08 AM

GLK 350, E430
Can't deny that evidence right there. That's a good looking G.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
get bumper bullies, cheaper and easier
Old 01-21-2011, 10:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
none
ya, I'm not sold on the looks. I would love to have the real skid plates. Haven't seen anyone offer them in the US though.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:28 AM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
adam, i'm originally from chicago, i lived in the gold coast for a while too. if people had to street park, bumping and grinding was the only way to get a car to fit. luckily i had a indoor parking spot.
i can understand why you want something to protect your bumpers. i have seen pads that unroll and hang from the bumpers, but it seems like an invitation for careless drivers to be more agressive..

harmonda- thanks for the compliment!!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:08 AM

GLK 350
Nice, Veerodder. Glad that there is another Chicagoan that understands. I luckily have an indoor spot also but still have to park on the streets when running errands, shopping, etc. Plus the valet parkers here would not exactly be described as "careful drivers" (side-note: Ferris Bueler's Day Off was filmed here and the valet parking scene seems to be pretty accurate).

I know all about the bumper bully and the other roll-down mats but they seem to be pains in the _ss (you have to unroll them every time you park, then they get all dirty and you have to put them back in your car, etc.). Doesn't seem to be a good solution. My friend has this pretty cool contraption (shown here on a GLK) which helps on the front end but doesn't provide complete protection.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...HNHogQf9teWlCA

Overall, I have always liked bull bars on other SUV's but I think I just have to wait and see a GLK with a bull bar in person before I pull the trigger on the ones that I originally posted about.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:25 PM

GLK350
Question?

I always thought the front and rear bumper guards (ie the chrome bumper tubes) would cause more damage to the car if someone backed or bumped in to them? I think the front bumper guard is attached to the subframe via 2 bolts.

Anyone with experience with these products?
Old 01-21-2011, 02:08 PM

GLK 350, E430
ok, BumpShox look really handy. Maybe not on my GLK but my F250 would certainly benefit. It is soooo long that I often park really close (read: against) walls in parking decks so it doesn't stick out too far and catch a car or two in the tail. My front plate looks like crumpled tin foil.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:25 PM

GLK 350, E430
DAIWONG...My GLK is new to me but I have had several vehicles with added brush guards and receivers. In a low, low speed impact you would have tire rolling, tire flexing, suspension part flexing, play in the transmission and drivetrain, etc. All those things have a small amount of give and should absorb the small amount of energy involved. They would do that long before the bar or it's attachment point would be anywhere near their limit. However, if you had an impact beyond that...and I won't guess the speed because there are too many factors...it is my opinion that you would see damage in your suspension in particular long before the bar material or the attachment site or assembly would fail. ...and that is scary because some of those things can get expensive. Your bumper is designed to sacrifice itself in an impact before anything else is damaged (including you). Anything that goes in front of your bumper and then attaches directly to the "frame" of the car is negating that allowance.

The net result...again...my opinion...bars like these are meant to enhance the look of your car, maybe protect your car from hitting objects much lighter or allow you to (in a controlled manner) push something...again much lighter than your car. They are actually not going to be a good thing in an impact at speed with a stationary object or something anywhere close to the weight of your car.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
OK then although they are not my style what effect and I would think that there might be some would there be in a head on or rear end collision where air bags might need to be deployed. Do any of the manufacturers have any facts on the effect they might have?