GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

MBUSA MAY LIE TO EVERY GLK CLASS OWNER

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 GL550 650/201
MBUSA MAY LIE TO EVERY GLK CLASS OWNER

I just got my new GLK350 last week, according MBUSA.COM described it should be equipped speed-sensitive hydraulic power assist steering as a standard option, this information could be found at http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicl...model-GLK350W2, then select and expand menu Chassis And Traction Control/Stability Systems.
But it is totally a lie, GLK class in US market was never equipped speed-sensitive power steering, owners can ask dealer for a vehicle data card, then you will find out if this equipment is on the list, the equipment sales code should be 213 SPEED-SENSITIVE POWER STEERING/VARIO STEERING,but nothing.
Any idea what should i do now?
Old 04-16-2011, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
It sounds to me that they would treat it as a website oversight, thank you for letting them know, apologize for inconveniencing you, but not give you anything. They may even have a disclaimer in the website.

Now, if your invoice or other description of YOUR actual vehicle described the equipment, and it was not present, it would be a different story.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Originally Posted by a3po911
I just got my new GLK350 last week, according MBUSA.COM described it should be equipped speed-sensitive hydraulic power assist steering as a standard option, this information could be found at http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicl...model-GLK350W2, then select and expand menu Chassis And Traction Control/Stability Systems.
But it is totally a lie, GLK class in US market was never equipped speed-sensitive power steering, owners can ask dealer for a vehicle data card, then you will find out if this equipment is on the list, the equipment sales code should be 213 SPEED-SENSITIVE POWER STEERING/VARIO STEERING,but nothing.
Not being that much of a techie. What kind of power steering do you think you have? Did you test drive the car before you bought it? Were you happy with the steering? Does the steering respond differently than what you thought?
Old 04-16-2011, 07:03 PM

2009 GL550 650/201
Originally Posted by MKenM
Not being that much of a techie. What kind of power steering do you think you have? Did you test drive the car before you bought it? Were you happy with the steering? Does the steering respond differently than what you thought?
Here you go what i found in WIKI about difference:
Speed Sensitive Steering
An outgrowth of power steering is speed sensitive steering, where the steering is heavily assisted at low speed and lightly assisted at high speed. The auto makers perceive that motorists might need to make large steering inputs while manoeuvering for parking, but not while traveling at high speed. The first vehicle with this feature was the Citroën SM with its Diravi layout[citation needed], although rather than altering the amount of assistance as in modern power steering systems, it altered the pressure on a centring cam which made the steering wheel try to "spring" back to the straight-ahead position. Modern speed-sensitive power steering systems reduce the mechanical or electrical assistance as the vehicle speed increases, giving a more direct feel. This feature is gradually becoming more common.

I really did a test drive on local road before purchase,and really didn't find out the difference in that test drive since it needs more high speed to get different feeling,but no dealer will allow a high way test drive.
Honestly, i don't care what kind of power steering is better, i just think the official website should tell us the truth.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by a3po911
You are 100% correct. Great find... but not a lie. It's probably a new level steering system that's now offered on some models (overseas maybe) due to all the complaints that have received since the GLK was introduced, especially from me... You did check your window sticker BEFORE you walked out the door?... didn't you? If it's not there, then it doesn't have it and Nola is correct. It's a website oversight, glitch, error, whatever you wish to call it.

It has however been my #1 complaint with this Merc. since I bought it for my wife. The standard stock steering is a hydraulic pump power assist system (a throw back to prehistoric times ) that feels a little sluggish (especially with the 20" wheels) from a dead start and sloppy turns-ins with very little (if any) feed back. It also fails to self center correctly.

It's the low point for me and the #one reason my wife normally drives the car instead of me.

Last edited by MBRedux; 04-16-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:36 PM

2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
That is my only major complaint as MBRedux pointed out. The fact that the wheel does not self center and makes you work at it is my biggest gripe. Even at low speeds you need to work harder. IMO
Old 04-17-2011, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by MKenM
That is my only major complaint as MBRedux pointed out. The fact that the wheel does not self center and makes you work at it is my biggest gripe. Even at low speeds you need to work harder. IMO
Notice what the MB website now says:

Chassis
Front Suspension - 3-link McPherson struts with two-piece lower control arm
Steering-wheel turns - 2.8 turns lock-to-lock
Turning radius - 37.7 ft.curb-to-curb.
Rear Suspension - Independent multilink
Steering - Rack-and-pinion, speed-sensitive hydraulic power assist with variable centering
Old 04-20-2011, 10:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GLK350
Originally Posted by MBRedux
You are 100% correct. Great find... but not a lie. It's probably a new level steering system that's now offered on some models (overseas maybe) due to all the complaints that have received since the GLK was introduced, especially from me... You did check your window sticker BEFORE you walked out the door?... didn't you? If it's not there, then it doesn't have it and Nola is correct. It's a website oversight, glitch, error, whatever you wish to call it.

It has however been my #1 complaint with this Merc. since I bought it for my wife. The standard stock steering is a hydraulic pump power assist system (a throw back to prehistoric times ) that feels a little sluggish (especially with the 20" wheels) from a dead start and sloppy turns-ins with very little (if any) feed back. It also fails to self center correctly.

It's the low point for me and the #one reason my wife normally drives the car instead of me.

I paid particular attention to steering on my commute today and find it does not exhibit any of those characteristics. Centers perfectly, corners evenly, runs very smooth and easy to control. Very responsive. Has a heavier feel compared to the bimmer, but steers fine nonetheless.

You said the steering is sluggish from a dead start? Like you're turning and starting, or accelleration, or what? I'm confused by this.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mazda 5, GLK350
2011 has better steering than 2010s, I test drove a 2010 and when I got the 2011, it was literally day and night.
Was a lot stiffer (not wobbly light)
had more accurate steering
allowed a better feel for the car
Old 04-21-2011, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
I have a 2011 and have not noticed any issues with the steering and I'm pretty sensitive to that aspect of a car's performance.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by CJBROWN
I paid particular attention to steering on my commute today and find it does not exhibit any of those characteristics. Centers perfectly, corners evenly, runs very smooth and easy to control. Very responsive. Has a heavier feel compared to the bimmer, but steers fine nonetheless.

You said the steering is sluggish from a dead start? Like you're turning and starting, or accelleration, or what? I'm confused by this.
None of the GLK's self center the way for example a Lexus ES 350 does. When taking a full left or right at low speeds (when turning a corner) the wheel will not come back to full center without some gentle coaxing. The wheel is harder to turn (offers more resistance) at low speeds. At high speeds the wheel comes back to center easier but not any where near as fast as the Lexus and that is usually what you want. So maybe yours is a flike.