GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Media Interface Plus - FREE UPDATE for GLK Owners?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w202 C220
Media Interface Plus - FREE UPDATE for GLK Owners?

While browsing the mbusa.com website, I stumbled upon this...

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicl...%3aA2129009305

Click here if the above link doesn't work for you

When you click on that link, it gives you another link (.PDF) to see if your GLK is eligble for the FREE update to have your text/sms read aloud to you.

Looks like my GLK is eligible, but I don't have the "USB Adapter Cable"...though I have the multimedia package and the OEM iPod adapter in the glove box.

Anyone performed this update, either on your own or through the dealer? If so, chime in so we can figure this out and get the free update!
Old 09-13-2011, 11:32 AM

GLK350 4 Matic
This update is applicable only if you have bought the media interface plus accessory. Right?
Old 09-13-2011, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350
Wonder if this is unique to USA, and not Canada.

I just tried, but my interface is a little different. Along the bottom I have Media Int. Not Media Interface.

And I can not find 'Playlist' anywhere. I even added an mp3 to the USB stick.

Any Canadian's able to do this?
Old 09-13-2011, 03:16 PM

w202 C220
I have the iPod + AUX input wire in the glove box, but no USB adapter. Anyone else know how this works and who it's applicable to?
Old 09-14-2011, 10:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
I have the multimedia interface. The cables are in the glove box. If you don't have the cable necessary, it can be purchased from your MB parts department. It was I think about $40 US, BTW thanks for the link.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:53 AM

w202 C220
Originally Posted by MKenM
I have the multimedia interface. The cables are in the glove box. If you don't have the cable necessary, it can be purchased from your MB parts department. It was I think about $40 US, BTW thanks for the link.
So with the USB adapter, I'll be able to do the update?
Old 09-15-2011, 02:47 PM

GLK350 4 Matic
I don't think just the usb adpater is enough, you need the 'media interface plus' which is a separate adapter and will cost u $300. After that you need a usb adapter which is $50.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:42 PM

GLK 350 4matic
Firstly, you need the media interface so that you can plug in a USB cable. Secondly, you need to PURCHASE this media plus box, the box will come with a usb plug so that you can plug into the car. Thirdly, 'to obtain the software update free of charge for the email and texting (SMS) functionality', only means you get free SMS function after you spend all the money for the media plus. Don't expect too much 'free' stuff from MB. I basically only get 'free' car wash every time I send my car for the over-priced service.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:33 PM

ml 350 2011
multimedia + interface

Originally Posted by yualfred
Firstly, you need the media interface so that you can plug in a USB cable. Secondly, you need to PURCHASE this media plus box, the box will come with a usb plug so that you can plug into the car. Thirdly, 'to obtain the software update free of charge for the email and texting (SMS) functionality', only means you get free SMS function after you spend all the money for the media plus. Don't expect too much 'free' stuff from MB. I basically only get 'free' car wash every time I send my car for the over-priced service.
I have had this interface in my 2011 ML350 for 10 months. It works well with my iphone for streaming. No playlist email or text reading regardless of SW updates. What the media interface does do is to interfere with the standard BT connection by disrupting the incoming caller audio. It is best to not use it if you want your BT phone to work. You can get a long cable ant connect it to the glove box cable. Music will play well and you will see track list playlist etc. Forget the MIP it will cause you all sorts of grief. Mercedes service doesn't have a clue about the problem.

Last edited by cyclebob; 02-03-2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-04-2013, 12:01 AM

2009 Lancer Ralliart
Originally Posted by cyclebob
I have had this interface in my 2011 ML350 for 10 months. It works well with my iphone for streaming. No playlist email or text reading regardless of SW updates. What the media interface does do is to interfere with the standard BT connection by disrupting the incoming caller audio. It is best to not use it if you want your BT phone to work. You can get a long cable ant connect it to the glove box cable. Music will play well and you will see track list playlist etc. Forget the MIP it will cause you all sorts of grief. Mercedes service doesn't have a clue about the problem.

Most informative post all week! thanks!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350 4Matic and CLK 430
Media Interface Plus

I've had the media interface plus accessory for 2 years now on my 2009 ML 350.

Works great - no bluetooth phone issues. My iphone 4 connect to both the Media interface plus bluetooth AND the MB (phone) bluetooth separately, so there is seamless integration.

Pandora from iphone pulls up great when connected and audio streaming works pretty darn good when you don't want to connect.

Also, the SMS and email feature is ONLY with certain blackberry models.

It works well with my work phone (Blackberry Bold).

This feature does not yet work with any other phone models.

Anyhow, if you have a Blackberry and want the SMS/email...you only need the media interface plus....nothing else.

You may need to download the updates if your media int. plus is older...but it's free from mbusa.com.

You do need to have the factory ipod/audio option already in your car.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:20 PM

GLK 350
Am I the only idiot who cant figure out where to get it on the website? The first link doesnt work for me.... the sencond just takes me to MBUSA.com
Old 03-11-2013, 09:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Originally Posted by king-david
Am I the only idiot who cant figure out where to get it on the website? The first link doesnt work for me.... the sencond just takes me to MBUSA.com
Come on now the links are two years old. Did you really expect them to work?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:47 PM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by MKenM
Come on now the links are two years old. Did you really expect them to work?
Haha... oops! So i guess there's no way to get the update now? Thats a pretty cool feature... I might not ever use it.. but I want it