GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Noise behind dashboard?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 09:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK350
Noise behind dashboard?

My GLK has a noise that sounds like it's coming from under the dash somewhere. It's only audible on weight transfers, like slowing to a stop or under acceleration from a stop. It sounds like something is loose and shifting; like it's falling to one direction under acceleration then falling back under deceleration. It's pretty consistent and annoying....I'm going to take it to the shop to let them track it down but I was curious if anyone has experienced anything similar and knows the potential source.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Nothing you can do... they all develop some noise.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:18 AM

GLK350
Normally I would agree with you, but this noise is very specific and traceable. It's not like the door seal squeaks caused by body torsion....it's definitely some object that's falling back and hitting something under acceleration and falling back forward when stopping. I've tried emptying the glove box and center console storage to make sure it's nothing shifting in there. Even checked under the seats to see if something rolling around under there. To me it definitely sounds like it comes from behind the dash; my wife thinks center console area.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Red GLK350, blue '87 Toyota Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by MBRedux
Nothing you can do... they all develop some noise.
Man, that sounds like a dealer's answer. A guy that used to work for us, when a customer said his instrument smoked, said they all do that once in a while.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by 420tee
Man, that sounds like a dealer's answer. A guy that used to work for us, when a customer said his instrument smoked, said they all do that once in a while.
I have seen entire threads devoted to this issue.... I have posted at least a dozen or so pleas for help with the same issue.... I have repeatedly said that the dash on my wife's GLK sounds like a beat-up NYC Taxi cab.... I have ripped apart that dash in an effort to see what was causing it and part of the reason is the lack or harness retainers,... she has taken it to the "dealer" without resolve,.... so unless something actually broke off and is rolling around under there, you may have to live with this. Let us know... thanks.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:39 PM

GLK350
Well, the noise source has been found and fixed. Apparently a pen made its way into the air duct below the passenger side seat and traveled rather deeply into it and sliding around on starts/stops and turns. I suppose I was hearing the noise as it escaped through the dash air vents while driving which made it sound like the noise was originating in the dash.

I'm curious to see if the pen was mine or was leftover from the car's days as a dealer loaner vehicle prior to my purchasing it. I doubt it's mine; I keep my car pretty spotless and I don't think anyone other than my 16 month-old daughter rides back there (and she doesn't play with pens, or anything that would fit in that duct for that matter).

It does give me some concern though. When trying to isolate the noise I did use a flashlight and tried to peer into the ducts below the seats and didn't see anything foreign. But I was surprised at how large the duct openings were and noticed how stuff from the floor could easily find it's way in there. I plan on owning this car for a while and as my toddler daughter gets older I can envision this becoming a problem. I think I'm going to fashion some black mesh/net cover type fix.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Noises make me nuts... how cool that you found that one!
Old 12-19-2011, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Thanks for the followup. Sounds like a perfect place for a piece of black panty hose and a tie rap.

Wayne
Old 12-19-2011, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
We call them tie hip-hops; nobody says "rap" anymore.

Oh, you mean wrap...
Old 12-19-2011, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Yep. Wrap. Spell checker let me down.

Wayne
Old 12-19-2011, 09:22 PM

GLK350
LOL....rap....wrap....yeah, I'll definitely be addressing those vents with something. A few vertical fins in the duct design every couple of inches would probably help too (if anyone from MB ever checks in here...hint....hint).

The pen was definitely left over from the car's days as a dealer loaner...some ball point from a finance company I've never heard of. It was a no-charge fix, which was nice, even without me mentioning the possibility that it was left in there by one of the dealer's clients. The service manager was telling me they fish stuff out of those all the time; the most recent was a kid's marbles.

I'm just glad it was found and fixed. I was prepared to trade for another GLK in the event they couldn't find the source. It was THAT annoying.

Last edited by PeteSC; 12-20-2011 at 09:16 AM.