GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

New Car Adjustments

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 GLK 350--AMG Package 20" Chromed Wheels, Loaded
RE: the lift gate--It says somewhere in the 2012 GLK manual that you can close it manually. Also, have you noticed the hand indentations on the top of the tail lift. It can be closed maunally but probably not enough reason to close it like that when a button does it. By the time you get to the front of the car and in the car, its down and closed so it really doesn't matter.
The one thing that I like that is fun to play around with, is the "Birds Eye View" on the Nav-- but it doesn't seem to show as many street names on that view.
Still kind of different look.
Did do the voice training on the voice activation and it works flawlessly. Actually love the GLK and this is coming from an "E-Class" guy.
Enjoy!
Old 12-14-2011, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 227 Likes on 154 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Originally Posted by B16RacerN2NR
I see you're in Illinois, who is your closest dealer? I'm a tech at D-Patrick and I can have one of the sales guys show you with no problem if you're close enough

Last time I was in Chicago for training, one of the instructors was saying how MB was getting a lot of complaints about this noise, since people heard this god awful noise and assumed something was broken, that they were going to change the drive unit. I haven't tested it out yet ( I actually just bought a 2012 X204 yesterday for my wifey for Christmas ) on the newer ones but I can GUARANTEE you 100% that the noise was not caused by something broken but it was caused by the clutch in the drive unit allowing for manual movement.
Well i think MB has to put in bold black letters on the owners manual about that so that not to freak out potential customers. I still do not want to force it to close after setting the height manually after what i heard. Until I see a formal letter from MB addressing this tailgate snapping noise I won't believe you (sorry even though you are a tech guy-tech guys sometimes are wrong and owners find it the hard way)

Last edited by shotgun_banjo; 12-14-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:01 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo
Well i think MB has to put in bold black letters on the owners manual about that so that not to freak out potential customers. I still do not want to force it to close after setting the height manually after what i heard. Until I see a formal letter from MB addressing this tailgate snapping noise I won't believe you (sorry even though you are a tech guy-tech guys sometimes are wrong and owners find it the hard way)

I agree with you.
The noise is disturbing.
My sienna does have power lift gate, but when I close it manually, NO NOISES at all.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:12 PM

2015 VW GTI.S4; 2016 Audi Q3 Prestige
What is this COMAND "voice training" I keep seeing people reference in other threads?
Old 12-15-2011, 02:13 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
Originally Posted by MBNA109
What is this COMAND "voice training" I keep seeing people reference in other threads?
You can train the system to have it understand better to your voice and/or accent.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Cool

Originally Posted by MBNA109
Originally Posted by ble2716
You can train the system to have it understand better to your voice and/or accent.
A prerecorded list of words & phrases that you repeat for the car. The menu is somewhere on the TV screen. Look it up in the COMAND manual.

Unsolicited RAVE review of the rain sensing wiper system: Lisa says, "I love the wipers!" I have to agree. In addition to the auto feature, the blades are the best I ever had on an auto. Silent. Gets rid of all the water. Silent. They leave the glass clean. Oh, and did I mention that they are SILENT?

Wayne
Old 12-15-2011, 08:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Glad to hear the wipers are silent. The ML makes a sick irritating noise after the 5th wipe that doesn't go away unless I use RainX.

Will have more to say around the first week of Feb. when the "Hers" is scheduled to arrive. Please let the elves in Bremen give me the Pirellis.
Already read the owners manual online in anticipation.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

Originally Posted by dgiturbo
Glad to hear the wipers are silent. The ML makes a sick irritating noise after the 5th wipe that doesn't go away unless I use RainX.

Will have more to say around the first week of Feb. when the "Hers" is scheduled to arrive. Please let the elves in Bremen give me the Pirellis.
Already read the owners manual online in anticipation.
The Elves heard my prayers. Good luck!

Wayne
Old 12-16-2011, 09:04 PM

06 Pontiac Vibe, 01 Dodge Ram, 01 Honda CBR600
Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo
I got a little more clarification about this from our MB rep...

According to him, the power lift gate clutch on the drive unit WILL NOT be damaged if used before it disengages. However, it is not designed to be used in this manner as it's only means of opening and closing. So if you must use it in this manner a few times, it's not problem but just don't use it that way consistently and expect it to last.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks fo the whole story. The we brought our GLK home I tried to close the tailgate manually out of habit. 8.5 years with a manual tailgate will do that. I immediately let go and hit the close button. I have used one of the buttons ever since.

Wayne
Old 12-16-2011, 09:35 PM

06 Pontiac Vibe, 01 Dodge Ram, 01 Honda CBR600
Originally Posted by venchka
Thanks fo the whole story. The we brought our GLK home I tried to close the tailgate manually out of habit. 8.5 years with a manual tailgate will do that. I immediately let go and hit the close button. I have used one of the buttons ever since.

Wayne
When the tail gates in our GLK's get to the top, you can hear it click. That's the clutch disengaging. You are then free to move it manually that way all you want
Old 12-17-2011, 02:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 227 Likes on 154 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
When the tail gates in our GLK's get to the top, you can hear it click. That's the clutch disengaging. You are then free to move it manually that way all you want
But if it set manually you won't hear a "click" and that means the clutch or gears are locked on that manner until you fully close it automatically. So the way we should interpret the rep's explanation is "close it like that and you will damage it for sure and we won't fix it for you" and that is not a good thing on my mind so no manual height for me! Does someone knows how much the motor for the liftgate? I think I would start putting loonies on a jar everyday if I'll be keeping my car for along time to save up for lift gate motor repairs.

another thing.....there should be a way to disable the power lift gate without pressing the button more that 2 seconds on the gate itself every time....some cars from other carmakers have that feature.

Last edited by shotgun_banjo; 12-17-2011 at 02:37 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The one time I tried manual I felt enough resistance, as in a lot of resistance, to remind me to press the button. I see no valid reason to do otherwise.

Wayne
Old 12-19-2011, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
I agree.

Hell, I love those buttons!