87.10%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

GLK350 vs. RDX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 GLK350 4Matic; 2011 335i xDrive
Congrats on the GLK! I just traded in my 2009 Acura RDX SHAWD base model (bought brand new, no technology) for a 2012 GLK350. I have had the GLK for 2 days and I am not sorry yet. The only things I miss about my Acura are: the seats were a little bigger/more comfortable and b/c of the reasonable price I felt ok leaving it anywhere and didn't get too upset if it got dinged.

The RDX was a very good car and it is a great "bang for the buck". However, if you want a luxury car and have the money without emptying your 401(k) or something, it is nice to upgrade. We are a couple without kids (and no plans for them), so having the extra space is not important to us. I just like having AWD/4Matic and I like being a little higher on the road (hubby drives an '11 BMW 335i xDrive and it sits on the road). If you do have kids and need the space, the MDX is a great choice. I think the MDX and the RDX are day and night (I guess like the GLK and the ML, but the MDX is still reasonably priced). I do not think the RDX is anything like the CRV, my mother-in-law drives that and I don't like anything about it. I have to drive her around in that cause I can throw her walker in the back (don't want to scratch my car and she doesn't cart anything else around) The body, design, engine, everything is different from the RDX.

The things I didn't like about the RDX were: the engine. I felt like it was very jerky and didn't like the 4 cyl turbo. You needed the turbo to get the car moving, but I didn't like when the turbo kicked on, felt like the car was straining to move. Also it had a weird downshift that made the car jerk and there was getting to be a lot of road noise. I also didn't like the bubbly design anymore, felt like it looked like every other small SUV out there.

I was trying to decide between the 2012 BMW X3 3.5 and the 2012 GLK350. I went with the GLK cause I felt like the X3 was just a little too big (2011 and newer are bigger than previous) and soccer mom-ish for me. (Again, no kids.) And I didn't love the redesign, too bubbly and a big black bumper on every color. I had a Jetta and a Altima that were a pieces of crap, so I will forever stay away from Audi and Infinti (they junk them up with buttons so you forget about their unreliability). Had no desire to even look at the Volvo. Hated the way the RX450h drove, felt too loose and boat-like, actually got car sick on the test drive. I was so disappointed because I really liked the idea of a hybrid.

Anyways, congrats and I hope you like the GLK and feel like you made the right choice!