GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

What does "satellite radio capable" mean?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pending
What does "satellite radio capable" mean?

Hi all,

I'm trolling all the used 2011 GLK listings, and see "AM/FM/Satellite radio capable". I'm assuming that means the Sirius/XM unit is not installed. If this is the case, what are the options and price to install the Mercedes satellite radio? I see it is $400 option when building a new vehicle, but I'm sure that's not the case for used vehicles!
Old 02-26-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
Lol, satellite radio is subscription-based. It is already installed, you just need to subscribe and pay the monthly fee.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:27 PM

Pending
Originally Posted by dcjwlee
Lol, satellite radio is subscription-based. It is already installed, you just need to subscribe and pay the monthly fee.

Haha I know it's subscription based. When "building" the GLK, satellite radio is a $460 option, or part of the multimedia package. I'm asking if I happen to buy one without XM, if it's easy to have the factory XM radio unit installed. Or is it a massive nightmare?
Old 02-26-2012, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
Originally Posted by radionightster
Hi all,

I'm trolling all the used 2011 GLK listings, and see "AM/FM/Satellite radio capable". I'm assuming that means the Sirius/XM unit is not installed. If this is the case, what are the options and price to install the Mercedes satellite radio? I see it is $400 option when building a new vehicle, but I'm sure that's not the case for used vehicles!
If it says "AM/FM/Satellite radio capable" that means it is installed and you simply have to subscribe to use it. I;m sorry if I was unclear about that.

Considering that even the stripped bare loaners have satellite radio, I think you would be hard-pressed to find a GLK that doesn't have it.

As for installing it aftermarket, in the rare case that you decide to, it will be far more expensive than what is listed on the website because you will get raped on labor.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
If you need verification, call-remeber that pre-internet communication?, the listing party and ask if the sat radio is present.

Wayne
Old 02-28-2012, 10:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Originally Posted by venchka
If you need verification, call-remeber that pre-internet communication?, the listing party and ask if the sat radio is present.

Wayne
Wayne is right. If it is capable that means that it will accept a satellite receiver which also means that the shark fin will have to be equipped with the satellite antenna. And then the question is, does the radio need to be updated, flashed or downloaded with the appropriate software to display the right screen for Sirius?
Old 02-01-2015, 02:20 PM

Mercury Mountaineer
Question Satellite Capable Radio?

What does "satellite radio capable" mean?-radio.jpg This is the radio in my 2005 Mercury Mountaineer and it has a SAT button. Does this mean I can subscribe to XM/Sirius satellite radio? If so, how? Thanks!
Old 02-01-2015, 06:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Originally Posted by pwoollybooger
Attachment 303214 This is the radio in my 2005 Mercury Mountaineer and it has a SAT button. Does this mean I can subscribe to XM/Sirius satellite radio? If so, how? Thanks!
Being a newbie we would at least assume that you would be asking a question about a Mercedes Benz not a Mercury. In any case the fact that it is capable usually means a satellite tuner can be attached to the head unit.

If the unit has a satellite tuner when you turn on radio and push the "Sat" button you will hear a Sirius commercial. There will be a menu item that will show you the tuner serial number. You call Sirius and give them the number pay for it and they will turn on the service.

Last edited by MKenM; 02-01-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:07 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
You can always buy a Sirius standalone like a Sportster or other. If the radio has an audio input then it would just plug in. Of course you need to put that antenna on the outside of the truck. I have a unit with a base that I use at home into a stereo amp and on my boat in to a receiver. I just carry it back and forth which means I only pay for one license. I have two antennas so I don't need to keep re-dressing that.