GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK Low Beam Headlight Replacement - and the dreaded spring/clip

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350
Thanks so much for all the information. After reading all of this online I was able to change out both Low Beam Lights in under an hour. Most of that time was spent on the awful Driver's Side (which was also the one that went out) but I would have never been able to do it without this thread of comments.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB GLK 320cdi
"Headlight bulb replacement in a Mercedes GLK350" video clip:

Maybe next time I don't have to drop the bumper
The following users liked this post:
Wendal (04-21-2016)
Old 05-27-2014, 11:03 AM

GLK
This was a challenging little job.

Many thanks to these postings. I don't have really good mechanical skills or dexterity. But, with the various tips, photos and videos, this little job made a lot more sense. The driver's side is done - and I didn't break anything! I do hope that new bulb lasts a long time.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:45 AM

2001 SLK320
Actually I just changed my passenger side headlight for the second time around in less than 26000 miles (total miles 53000) on my 2010 GLK-350. I went ahead and put extra bright (again, another top of the line Sylvania HD bulbs) on both sides. Now that I know how easy it is to change these bulbs, I was done in less than 10 minutes with both sides. Simply, pull off the cover by turning it anti-clockwise and don't detach the cable plug. Pull up on the spring from the top just a little but firmly, and voila, the bulb is out. Note the side of the bulb that was facing down, detach the bulb, (use latex gloves) replace the new bulb while holding the wire plug, then insert that into the socket. Push down on the spring clip where you pulled up on to remove the same, all the while making sure, the bulb is completely seated. Give a gentle tug outward to make sure the bulb is firmly behind the spring. Replace the cover. DONE.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:06 AM

2011 mercedes benz glk 350 SUV
Thanks! but I need advice? I have a 2011 glk350 Mercedes Benz SUV my lowbeams out on

The passengers side and I really think I could change it myself so I go to like 8 different auto parts stores including salvi advanced auto parts places like that etc and they tell me just the darn light is $100 and that they can't put it on I have to take it to a dealer which means a ton of money on a little light bulb that would take less then 3 minutes to change according to your video above its probably going to take me a little longer anyway they did have a light for 15 dollars would that work instead of going and spending the 100 on the bulb or do I need the 100 dollar bulb specifically and what is this damn bulb called the lady said at the store she can't sell me something that she doesn't know what it is so I take her outside show her the car and gave me some advice which was to look on google leading me here and to read the owners manual and try it myself if I don't have the money to go paying hundreds of dollars for a dealer to fix it right now so I really have no choice but to do it myself and hope for the best and that I do it the right way please give me some advice im trying not to over think it and do it step by step and watch your video over and over and until I know I'm 100% ready to do it without fail then I'll touch it also im waiting on a name of the bulb. If there's anyway you can comment back and let me know I would be really grateful! This is so tough for me. And I need some help and info! Please help? Thanks for your time and help Linda.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63; 2011 E350 Coupe
Google Phillips. I seriously doubt if the bulb will be $100.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:10 AM

GLK
My GLK is a 2012 model; the head light bulbs are basic halogen bulbs. They are a standard part used in many, many U.S. cars and readily available at any of the parts store in my small town.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:28 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by GeeLK
"Headlight bulb replacement in a Mercedes GLK350" video clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTAThOQn9n0

Maybe next time I don't have to drop the bumper
After watching video and knowing how the clip was seated, it took me all of 5 minutes to replace the bulb...by feel rather than trying to view into housing or removing wheels...thanks GeeLK!
Old 06-30-2014, 08:42 AM

2001 SLK320
Originally Posted by Lindaa_louu
The passengers side and I really think I could change it myself so I go to like 8 different auto parts stores including salvi advanced auto parts places like that etc and they tell me just the darn light is $100 and that they can't put it on I have to take it to a dealer which means a ton of money on a little light bulb that would take less then 3 minutes to change according to your video above its probably going to take me a little longer anyway they did have a light for 15 dollars would that work instead of going and spending the 100 on the bulb or do I need the 100 dollar bulb specifically and what is this damn bulb called the lady said at the store she can't sell me something that she doesn't know what it is so I take her outside show her the car and gave me some advice which was to look on google leading me here and to read the owners manual and try it myself if I don't have the money to go paying hundreds of dollars for a dealer to fix it right now so I really have no choice but to do it myself and hope for the best and that I do it the right way please give me some advice im trying not to over think it and do it step by step and watch your video over and over and until I know I'm 100% ready to do it without fail then I'll touch it also im waiting on a name of the bulb. If there's anyway you can comment back and let me know I would be really grateful! This is so tough for me. And I need some help and info! Please help? Thanks for your time and help Linda.
Go to Autozone in your town and ask them for the bulb. The last pair I put on were the high-end halogen bulbs, which they say will last a lot longer, and I believe I paid close to $35/bulb including tax. Call me at 618-303-5264 in case you need some hands-on advice while you're closer to your car. It shouldn't take anymore than 15 minutes total to get it done.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Cool

man where is the DIY post that shows me how to replace the stock lights with the OEM HID lighting package?

not only do they funtion better, they look better while they are both on and off

havent found a thread yet and the dealer said "factory only" can you get them installed
Old 12-17-2014, 12:04 PM

GLK 350 4matic
Great advice!

Originally Posted by pnoyworx
Easy way is to just do it through the fender, no fuss. You don't even have to remove the wheel.
The Mrs. texted me a picture of her dash notification yesterday "Check left low beam" Checked the forum yesterday before buying a replacement bulb for advice. Thanks to all! pnoyworx, I took your advice and removed part of the inner drivers side fender and replaced the outer running lamp. This saved me from having to add more money to the swear jar. Took a little extra time, but time well spent. Thanks
Old 03-11-2015, 02:29 PM

mercedes benz slk230
I lost the darn clip. M.B. wants me to buy a headlight. Does anybody know where I may find one? Pls e-mail me at tvaughters@aol.com Thank You
Old 04-26-2015, 02:10 PM

GLK350 4Matic
GLK350 4matic low beam head light change

ok.....my low beam headlight on the driver side had been burned out for 5 days on my 2012 GLK350 4matic.....I purchased the Sylvania 2 pack at auto parts and really thought I could do this myself....however, after reading the comments on the MBworld web-site and on other blogs, I figured this was way too complicated and I better call the body shop for replacement. The dealership wanted $350.00 just for the labor on 1 light replacement (since I bought my own bulb).....the local auto body repair shop who services MB wanted $175.00 for 1 light replacement. They said it would take 1.5 hours and the bumper has to be removed. I was going to pay it and get it done, but thought to myself, come on.....this can't be this difficult. So, with my large hands on my 218 lb body and WITHOUT a mirror or superglue or anything else, I successfully removed the plastic pin that hold the wiper washer fluid in place, took the 2 plastic coated cables that were under that and move them to the top of the washer hold bottle arm (to get them up and out of my way) I then reached in with my left hand and unscrewed the plastic cap that covers the low beam headlight casing......once removed I reached in and unplugged the electrical connection....after that I felt my way to the position of the wire spring (keep note, that I had looked at previous pictures of this so I knew what to expect and what it felt like....) I took my index finger and placed it in the opening between the top of the light casing and the wire spring and I pushed up...the spring easily popped up and out of place, allowing me to easily remove the bulb.....keep note of the bulb position as you pull it out, that way you can put the replacement bulb in the same position.....I inserted the new bulb (no tape or super glue necessary) with my index finger I found the top of the wire spring and pushed it back down in place...you can actually feel with your fingers to tell if it is all straight and lined up.....once back in place, I plugged the electrical connections back in, screwed the cap back on, moved the 2 plastic coated cables to back under the washer bottle arm, reinserted the screw pin that holds the washer bottle in place and closed the hood.... took me about 3 minutes, unbelievable........I went ahead and replaced the passenger side as well so the 2 bulbs matched in brightness.... I can't believe how easy it was and that the dealership wanted $350 for each side...... if you are in the Houston area I will gladly answer any questions....
Old 04-27-2015, 09:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63; 2011 E350 Coupe
I changed out the HID bulbs for bi-xenon lights I got from Philips. The job looked daunting, but turned out to be not that difficult. The biggest issue was gaining access to the light assy. I'm 6'5" and my hands are not dainty.
Before I tackled this chore, I read up on every head light post I could find.
I found that MB has two types of retainer clips. One that slides up and the other hinges and swings out. Before you start, you need to determine what type of clip you have. Makes the job easier if you know what you are dealing with.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:13 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Maybe it is because I have a 2010, but my dealer replaced both bulbs in 15 minutes for $20 each while I waited. Expensive for a bulb but no hassle with the clip. The originals lasted 70,000 miles and I had them do both at the same time. These are not HID just the old fashion incandescent. The head lights on my GLK are projector type and maybe that makes a difference between $40 and $375 as the newer GLK's have reflector type.?
My wife's 2006 C280, has the HIDs and they are still going strong after 80,000 miles.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:18 PM

2011 GLK 350
Ya'll are all experts.

I get the round 4" cap off both sides (left and right) of my lights, then get totally turned around about which bulb is even which. I still don't have a clue which is low, high, turn, marker, starbord, port, running, tail, boom tip, etc.
Some big, black piece of plastic that looks like a handle is in the way of my entire bulb cluster. If I pull, it'll probably break. Mercedes trash. I be damned...

Anyway, I determined that after 25 years of average mechanical experience... .. (ie rebuild a few 2 strokes, an outboard, a small and large block chevy, timing chains on a couple nissans, a honda transmission and even an entire 550 John Deere diesel rebuild) ... That if I can't change a god damn light bulb then before I take a Miken bat to this 2011 beauty with only 21,000 miles on it, then I best sell it. I dont want anything that can't be worked on... ...So that's what I did. Just finish washing, and now parked on side of highway. Will be happy to see her go. Wish us luck.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
Realise I am hijacking a thread here but, @strick22, welcome to the forum & I also hear your pain. Our 2010 has a mere '54K on it & the Mrs. is the one who drives it mostly. Earlier this year I purchased a '97 Jeep XJ which I can maintain & have enjoyed the time spent on it over the last six months. At one point the Jeep was considered to be a replacement for the GLK & it still might be. Good luck to you on finding a suitable replacement for your GLK!
Old 03-06-2016, 04:24 AM

GLK 220 CDI 4matic
Any luck?

Originally Posted by tvaughters
I lost the darn clip. M.B. wants me to buy a headlight. Does anybody know where I may find one? Pls e-mail me at tvaughters@aol.com Thank You
Hi.
Did you get any response?
In need of the damn clip myself
Old 02-12-2017, 01:17 PM
tpw

Overcoming frustration

I just spent an hour or so replacing a low beam lamp that should have only taken 15 minutes. This was on a 2013 (I think) GLK.

I hope this helps others avoid the frustrations I had....

The manual says that once you remove the round cover (easy) and disconnect the wires (also easy) that you should push up on the bulb to release it from it's socket. WRONG!

This model year - and presumably subsequent years - has three metal flanges that hold the bulb in place. It took a little while to figure that out. After getting a trouble light down in the area and my wife's handheld mirror from the bathroom, I was able to see the three flanges that are not mentioned in the manual.

Getting the bulb released from those flanges requires you to be a bit of a contortionist, but it is doable. Once you get the bulb released, it is pretty easy to change out the bulb and put everything back together.

So, do yourself a favor, get your wife's handheld mirror and a trouble light and study the area before proceeding; you will save yourself some frustration.

It sure is a better approach than removing the wheel well cover or the bumper like others have suggested.

Good luck.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:15 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
10 GLK350/ 15 Accord/ 94 Supra Turbo
Originally Posted by tpw
I just spent an hour or so replacing a low beam lamp that should have only taken 15 minutes. This was on a 2013 (I think) GLK.

I hope this helps others avoid the frustrations I had....

The manual says that once you remove the round cover (easy) and disconnect the wires (also easy) that you should push up on the bulb to release it from it's
socket. WRONG!

This model year - and presumably subsequent years - has three metal flanges that hold the bulb in place. It took a little while to figure that out. After getting a trouble light down in the area and my wife's handheld mirror from the bathroom, I was able to see the three flanges that are not mentioned in the manual.

Getting the bulb released from those flanges requires you to be a bit of a contortionist, but it is doable. Once you get the bulb released, it is pretty easy to change out the bulb and put everything back together.

So, do yourself a favor, get your wife's handheld mirror and a trouble light and study the area before proceeding; you will save yourself some frustration.

It sure is a better approach than removing the wheel well cover or the bumper like others have suggested.

Good luck.

good suggestions but the issue with the spring clip is that it is for the 2010-2012, the 2013+ has a different design.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW 335i
First off thanks to @GeeLK that video was extremely helpful. On a sidenote **** Mercedes I had to remove the driver side inner fender well just to get to the goddamn headlight. Second the damn spring clip is from 1982. Serious Mercedes? A goddamn clip? Anyhow the passenger side was a piece a cake slight scrapes to the hand. The driver side was a nightmare. The only way to deal with the driver side is to remove the inner fender well so you can get a full visual when the clip completely falls off.

The following users liked this post:
B737 (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 08:41 AM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
2012 GLK
what a pita. thank you for posting 335. the wheel well liner technique seems to be the path with the least ambiguity.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:37 AM

Glk 350
Glk 350 2011 model

This morning i tried following the instructions in the operations manual for replacement of headlamp, I got the cover off and the clip that holds the windshield washer spout but there is simply no room to remove the inside cover and access the lights or even the "dreaded spring". I called My local MB dealer and i was told they replace it as a courtesy to customers. I am thrilled. I must add the despatch guy that took my car in came back after 15 min and said for this model becuase of where the lights are they have to remove the wheels to access the lights. I felt vindicated becuase the operation instructions don't work. I am also a happy volvo owner and it takes maximum 15 minutes to replace any front headlamp. I am glad this MB dealer does it as a courtesy. This dealer just earned by business for a long long time. Not sure if i am allowed to name them on this forum but i will say they are in northern part of monmouth county NJ on route 9 south bound.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:50 PM

2003 SL500-2010 GLK350
Spring clip replacement

Hello everyone!

I managed to lose the spring clip into the abyss. Does anyone know how I can get another one? It’s an extremely hard part to find. If I have to, I will tear into it. But I’d rather just get a new one.

Thanks SO much!
Old 10-09-2017, 09:05 AM

2001 SLK320
How to get that Dreaded Spring out

[

Try to extract that lost spring with a flexible magnetic retrieving tool, and it can be found at Autozone or any other auto parts store.

Navreet

QUOTE=JMDavis;7279408]Hello everyone!

I managed to lose the spring clip into the abyss. Does anyone know how I can get another one? It’s an extremely hard part to find. If I have to, I will tear into it. But I’d rather just get a new one.

Thanks SO much![/QUOTE]

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Quick Reply: GLK Low Beam Headlight Replacement - and the dreaded spring/clip