Dead Battery - Warranty Coverage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK
Dead Battery - Warranty Coverage?

Hi all,

The battery in our GLK went dead at around 2.5 years. Mercedes roadside service jumped the battery for my wife, but it didn't start the next time either.

Does anyone know if this would be covered under the warranty, or are batteries considered consumables even at only 2.5 years?

If Mercedes does not warrant them and I need to get a new one, I will just do it myself.

If they do cover it, I will take it in to make sure it isn't something else like the alternator or other part of the charging system. The auto parts store will test the battery and possibly even do a basic charging system diagnostic so that would give some comfort level. I have a suspicion that a new one installed by the dealer with diagnostics would run around $200 - 300 given my last horrible experience there.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
Originally Posted by MilesBFree
Hi all,

The battery in our GLK went dead at around 2.5 years. Mercedes roadside service jumped the battery for my wife, but it didn't start the next time either.

Does anyone know if this would be covered under the warranty, or are batteries considered consumables even at only 2.5 years?

If Mercedes does not warrant them and I need to get a new one, I will just do it myself.

If they do cover it, I will take it in to make sure it isn't something else like the alternator or other part of the charging system. The auto parts store will test the battery and possibly even do a basic charging system diagnostic so that would give some comfort level. I have a suspicion that a new one installed by the dealer with diagnostics would run around $200 - 300 given my last horrible experience there.

Thanks in advance!
i got a new battery on my 2010 E class in October 2011....same thing happened to me...car died....MB Roadside Service jumped me...and I drove it to my MB dealer....it took them all day to recharge the existing battery...test it...then determine if it will hold the charge to a satifactory level...it did not, so I got a new battery.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:44 AM

GLK
Thanks PHML!

Update:

Mercedes said they have a 4-year or 50k miles warranty on the battery. We are around 2.5 years and ~35k miles.

Roadside assistance came out again (in my driveway right now). Same guy. Only this time he actually tested the battery, which for some reason he didn't do yesterday. It tested as bad. He will replace it under warranty now.

Mercedes should change the process to do this every time or if that is how it is supposed to go, then better educate the techs and could have saved themselves the expense of a second trip.

I am still going to take it in and have the charging system checked, which they can't do with the gear they have on the roadside assistance vehicles. (My neighbor had a dead battery on his Nissan a few weeks ago, and their service vehicle WAS able to check that on the spot. Note to Mercedes!)
Old 05-18-2012, 10:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
Originally Posted by MilesBFree
- I am still going to take it in and have the charging system checked, which they can't do with the gear they have on the roadside assistance vehicles. (My neighbor had a dead battery on his Nissan a few weeks ago, and their service vehicle WAS able to check that on the spot. Note to Mercedes!)
Given you do have a multimeter you could get a pretty good idea by testing the charging - if the battery is fairly charged:
Connect to the + (positive) terminal adjacent to the battery, and chassis.
Let engine (and alternator) run with as few loads as possible. Multimeter should read 13.7 - 14.3VDC.
Switch on the loads the GLK might have, like headlights, rear window - and seat heaters, operate pano etc., and note multimeter reading. Should not drop a lot - or after a short while not much at all.
The outcome to be told/taught Mercedes.

Last edited by GLKKa2H; 05-18-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: adding 10V to numbers!
Old 05-18-2012, 04:03 PM

GLK
Originally Posted by GLKKa2H
Given you do have a multimeter you could get a pretty good idea by testing the charging - if the battery is fairly charged:
Connect to the + (positive) terminal adjacent to the battery, and chassis.
Let engine (and alternator) run with as few loads as possible. Multimeter should read 3.7 - 4.3VDC.
Switch on the loads the GLK might have, like headlights, rear window - and seat heaters, operate pano etc., and note multimeter reading. Should not drop a lot - or after a short while not much at all.
The outcome to be told/taught Mercedes.

Thanks GLKKa2H, I appreciate the response.

But the voltage is nominally 12V.

Fully charged the battery should be about 12.6V.

IIRC, 75% charge is maybe 12.4V.

Much into the 11V range and it is getting close to dead.

If you are measuring battery voltage, then you don't need the car running, i.e.- measuring across the terminals. You don't even need the key in it.

I got the same voltage across the terminals as I got across the jumpstart points, so if anyone is checking the voltage on the GLK, you don't need to pull off the plastic piece that sits over the battery.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
My bad, sorry, I didn't catch my "miswriting" until now.

To read "13.7 - 14.3VDC." Voltage in that range is to be expected from a well working (charging) alternator.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:51 PM

GLK
Originally Posted by GLKKa2H
My bad, sorry, I didn't catch my "miswriting" until now.

To read "13.7 - 14.3VDC." Voltage in that range is to be expected from a well working (charging) alternator.
From the alternator. Good idea to test that too.

The battery is going to be around 12.6 V.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:42 PM

2013 ML350
I bought a 2010 CPO last year, my battery just gave out and took it to the dealer, its just about 4 years old and i have 41,000 miles.

No questions asked, they just dropped in another, tested everything, took about 45 min and then washed the car and I was on down the road.

It is under the blower assembly in front of the passenger area and has special venting, I called a few auto part places and they said I needed to get it from the dealer because of how it is mounted.

MB stood behind it with no issues, so Im happy.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:59 AM

2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
Coming full circle here. The GLK didn't start this afternoon. I turned the ignition, and it wanted to start, but it didn't. Im using my Sears battery charger now...going with the slow charge...2 amps...and overnight....crossing fingers it starts tomorrow morning....otherwise, its time to call MB Roadside Service, or have my E-class to give it a jump...and drive it to the MB dealer. Oh btw the GLK is a 2011...with 20K miles on there.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:34 PM

2013 ML350
i have always found original manufacturers batteries to be junk

Lexus LS460, 2 years
Lexus SC430 3 years
Mercedes E320 3 years
Mercedes GLK 350 3 years

None of these cars should come with a 2-3 year battery, but they all did.. I always get better luck on the 2nd battery.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,104 Likes on 809 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I hope the self-"jumpers" understand the proper procedure - on the recipient MB - key-out, keyless-go out during hookup.. or heck to pay.

I have no idea why someone would not want to call free Roadside Assist and get that process in motion.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:15 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Roadside service can be somewhat of a joke. My wife hit a pothole which bent the rim and flattened the tire. 2-1/2 hours later, I was able to finally get there, put on the spare (1/2 hour total) and drive away. 3 hours and Roadside still had not shown up. This was a weekday afternoon about 2:30. Unless I need the car towed on a flat bed, I doubt I would call "Roadside Assistance" again. Probably why someone would not want to call free Roadside Assist.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,104 Likes on 809 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Bop, call MB Customer Service and report the issue - and start the process for a $100-$200 customer satisfaction discount certificate off your next service... I am not excusing the service time, I am just saying a call may get you some type of "satisfaction".
Old 09-10-2013, 03:14 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Was several years ago. Didn't stop me from buying 2 more MB's, just will not count on the roadside assistance.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fj cruiser 2014 GLK250
Originally Posted by cmasten
i have always found original manufacturers batteries to be junk

Lexus LS460, 2 years
Lexus SC430 3 years
Mercedes E320 3 years
Mercedes GLK 350 3 years

None of these cars should come with a 2-3 year battery, but they all did.. I always get better luck on the 2nd battery.
Wow, you've had bad luck I've always found the battery that came with my vehicle to be the best. The one in my toyota is 7 years old now and no issues the Subaru is 6 . My dodge was 10 yo when I replaced it and then every 2 years after that. I sure hope when our merc arrives they have better quality batteries than you found...
Old 09-13-2013, 11:50 PM

2013 ML350
same was true in all my hondas too :-(

3 accords
2 preludes
1 pilot

none of them got more than 3 years and were all replaced under warranty.

I dont listen to the radio with the car off or anything either, maybe the heat here in So Cal?
Old 09-18-2013, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Heat will do it...
Old 09-27-2013, 03:17 PM

Just to give you guys an update...MB Roadside Asst was able to jump me after my overnight charger didn't do the trick. I drove straight to my MB Dealer on Sunday morning...dropped off the GLK and got a rental C-class. My MB service rep says he had to jump it again Monday morning to get it to the service bay. In the end, it was the battery. MB installed a new battery for me....under warranty...no charge.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
I was monitoring the battery voltage to see if the starter battery was getting old - at just over 2 years use no less. I charged it up and it read 12.76 v. A little low but not terrible. I would prefer over 12.85. It sat overnight and I ran around the next day. I read the battery again and it's more like 12.5. This is a problem. I put the charger back on it but now I take the HVAC ductwork off the battery to to take a look at it and I find myself staring at a little squirrel cage fan running like mad.
What the h*** is this? I go inside, turn on the key and kill the climate control - fan still running.
If this fan stops when the car is locked - and I've not verified that it does, this could be a significant drain and a source of my battery drain problems.
When I went to charge the battery the other day it was down at 12.26 - below 1/2 charge and a real problem...
It's not a hot day at around 70 degrees F. Would the electronics need this?

Any experts on the forum that can enlighten on this?
Old 11-05-2013, 09:43 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
84 300d 2009 e320 bluetec
The battery that comes with the car usually has a longer MBZ warranty. The replace battery is likely 2 years. Also with the CPU and other electronic, only a <2A charge rate and an < (forgot the voltage) should be used if the battery is installed. Have the headlight off. I would also disconnect the charger before starting the car.

You got a good deal when a 4 year old battery is replaced for free.

Sears sell the glass mat type battery.

BTW: Roadside assistance also replaces the battery. Many of them don't charge for labor.

Last edited by dave2001auto; 11-05-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:48 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
Originally Posted by mjhawkins2346
I was monitoring the battery voltage to see if the starter battery was getting old - at just over 2 years use no less. I charged it up and it read 12.76 v. A little low but not terrible. I would prefer over 12.85. It sat overnight and I ran around the next day. I read the battery again and it's more like 12.5. This is a problem. I put the charger back on it but now I take the HVAC ductwork off the battery to to take a look at it and I find myself staring at a little squirrel cage fan running like mad.
What the h*** is this? I go inside, turn on the key and kill the climate control - fan still running.
If this fan stops when the car is locked - and I've not verified that it does, this could be a significant drain and a source of my battery drain problems.
When I went to charge the battery the other day it was down at 12.26 - below 1/2 charge and a real problem...
It's not a hot day at around 70 degrees F. Would the electronics need this?

Any experts on the forum that can enlighten on this?

possibly a fan to ensure the aircon dries and doesn't build up mold?