GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

AC not blowing cold air. Need Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350 Artic White
AC not blowing cold air. Need Help

I have a 2010 GLK350 with 55K (out of warranty). Yesterday, I notice the ac was no longer blowing cold air and the coolingfan seems to louder than normal. Engine temp indicates it is between 80 and 85 at idle. Before I have to take it in to the shop, I would like to know what I can check myself.

So far, I verified the AC button is on (I switched it off and on several times but no help). I checked the fuse and the ac system fuse looks fine. If I increase the temp, it blows out heat as expected. The back ac vent does not blow out cold air either. No indication from the system that anything is wrong, no error messages.

Anything else I can check?
Old 06-06-2012, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Could be many things, but most likely it lost all of its refrigerant... small leak somewhere most likely. A recharge would help for a short time until it all leaks out again. Small hole in the front evaporator no doubt. Without access to expensive tools and diagnostic techniques, you're better off taking it to a shop you can trust. Leak will need to be found, (using a dye and a strong UV light) then repaired, then the system will need to be vacuumed out with a small pump and recharged. The longer you wait, there is a possibility you can damage the compressor... do not run the system until it's fixed!

Last edited by MBRedux; 06-06-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:12 PM

2010 GLK350 Artic White
Thanks for the information MBRedux. I'm taking it to Star Motor Cars here in Houston, TX since someone recommended them. Hopefully it's nothing major.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by pranivong
Thanks for the information MBRedux. I'm taking it to Star Motor Cars here in Houston, TX since someone recommended them. Hopefully it's nothing major.
If their estimate appears to be too high, seek a second opinion from a shop that specializes in AC only! Good luck!
Old 06-08-2012, 05:01 PM

2010 GLK350 Artic White
Just an update: I took it to the Star Motor Cars yesterday. The service guy said there is an issue with the AC compressure because the 'pressure is equalizing'. He also said there could also be a problem with the Front SAM since they were not able to 'override' it. They won't know for sure if there is an issue with the Front SAM until the AC Compressor is fixed.

The quoted prices was $1300 for the AC Compressors (parts and labor) and another $800 for the Front SAM. I went ahead with the repairs because it is very hot and humid in Houston.

They had to order the compressor so they couldn't get to it until today. The AC problem and the noisy cooling was fixed by late afternnon and they found no issues with the Front SAM. So the final prices comes out to $1290. I guess that's better than the $2100 that was quoted.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Haste makes waste sometimes... hope they were honest joes... good luck! Compressors, especially these newer MB compressors rarely go so soon.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes-Benz GLK 350
Wink

Originally Posted by pranivong
Just an update: I took it to the Star Motor Cars yesterday. The service guy said there is an issue with the AC compressure because the 'pressure is equalizing'. He also said there could also be a problem with the Front SAM since they were not able to 'override' it. They won't know for sure if there is an issue with the Front SAM until the AC Compressor is fixed.

The quoted prices was $1300 for the AC Compressors (parts and labor) and another $800 for the Front SAM. I went ahead with the repairs because it is very hot and humid in Houston.

They had to order the compressor so they couldn't get to it until today. The AC problem and the noisy cooling was fixed by late afternnon and they found no issues with the Front SAM. So the final prices comes out to $1290. I guess that's better than the $2100 that was quoted.

Tks for the update..
It hurts ( $1290 ) but at least it's fixed and they found the problem, instead of poking around for a few days and not being able to fix it and still charge you. Stay cool
Old 07-06-2012, 08:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Part of the job to replace a compressor includes an evacuate and recharge of the system, thus restoring the correct level of needed refrigerant. If the issue returns soon(ish), you will need to have an interesting talk with someone there about your leak...
Anyways for now it's fixed, and with over 100 temps in TX. and here in IL., I would probably gladly spend the $1300 without hesitation also.