GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

I'm getting tired of this.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350 4matic
I'm getting tired of this.

When the dealer did the 10K service on my GLK 350 4Matic, they overfilled the engine with oil. I had to take it back and have them take out the extra oil. I had the 20K service done today, and, they did it again. I even told the service writer to tell them to be careful and not overfill it again?? The detailed bill I got indicates these idiots put 9 quarts of oil in the engine - AGAIN! A look at the dipstick confirmed it. Guess I'll have to take it back again.

Regards:
Oldengineer
Old 08-22-2012, 02:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
Originally Posted by Oldengineer
When the dealer did the 10K service on my GLK 350 4Matic, they overfilled the engine with oil. I had to take it back and have them take out the extra oil. I had the 20K service done today, and, they did it again. I even told the service writer to tell them to be careful and not overfill it again?? The detailed bill I got indicates these idiots put 9 quarts of oil in the engine - AGAIN! A look at the dipstick confirmed it. Guess I'll have to take it back again.

Regards:
Oldengineer
Sorry to hear of your recurring issues with this service dealer. Im sure you addressed this with your service representative prior, and its frustrating to hear that both the service technician and your service representative didn't pay any attention to details.

I've done the oil and filter changes on my cars because I can't trust anyone else...lol. Maybe something to consider?

Pete
Old 08-22-2012, 11:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
--
I also put a big sticker on top of the engine, right next to the filler cap, with the correct quantity. Of course I told the SA. It worked for me.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:22 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
I have recently had that problem twice on my C350. Both times I had told the SA I didn't want the oil over the maximum mark. The first time, the SA asked me how I knew it was overfilled. I told him that is what the dip stick is for.
For the first time, they refunded my money for the oil change. The second time they gave me a free detailing.
It is very important that the oil level is at or even a little below the full mark.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:54 PM

GLK350 4matic
I took the SA out to my car, pulled the dipstick, and layed the end of it on a clean paper towel to show him how far it was overfilled. He got his tech, and, the guy claimed he always puts 9 quarts in these cars because they "burn" oil and he wants to make sure they stay full. I about lost it. Anyway, 15 minutes later they had the extra oil out of it. Wonder how many engines and cat convertors these people have screwed up. What nonsense!

Regards:
Oldengineer
Old 08-24-2012, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
He got his tech, and, the guy claimed he always puts 9 quarts in these cars because they "burn" oil and he wants to make sure they stay full. I about lost it. Anyway, 15 minutes later they had the extra oil out of it. Wonder how many engines and cat convertors these people have screwed up. What nonsense!

Regards:
Oldengineer
Burn lots of oil (and all the other things you mention) if you put too much in. Did he add Seafoam too?
Old 08-24-2012, 10:04 PM

2015 VW GTI.S4; 2016 Audi Q3 Prestige
I took the SA out to my car, pulled the dipstick, and layed the end of it on a clean paper towel to show him how far it was overfilled. He got his tech, and, the guy claimed he always puts 9 quarts in these cars because they "burn" oil and he wants to make sure they stay full. I about lost it. Anyway, 15 minutes later they had the extra oil out of it. Wonder how many engines and cat convertors these people have screwed up. What nonsense!

Regards:
Oldengineer

I would reem them a new one on the customer survey. People need to be fired on this starting with the training manager.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:57 PM

GLK350 4matic
I seriously doubt that the dealership will try to survey me on this. They knew I was PO'd. From now on I'll do my own service on the car. I serviced the Jaguars I used to own myself, and, I doubt that this vehicle is any harder to work on.

Regards:
Oldengineer
Old 08-25-2012, 09:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Red GLK350, blue '87 Toyota Land Cruiser
I reemed the young salesman I dealt with for, among other things, being totally unfamiliar with the car. Had no idea where the oil dipstick was, told me the heat sink on top of the engine was the computer, etc., etc. Never heard a word from MB or the dealer. Never been back either.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 GLK 350 4matic, 2014 BMW M235i
I just had a nice chat with the SA at the local M-B dealership where I bought our GLK new earlier this year. I recently had the 10k mile service performed and we talked about the 9-quart deal vs the 7.4 indicated in the operators manual. The SA says the GLK has both a low oil level warning and high (overfill) oil level warning. Can anyone here confirm this?

3.5L
Old 08-28-2012, 03:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
--
Originally Posted by 3.5L
...... and high (overfill) oil level warning. Can anyone here confirm this?

3.5L
I didn't get an audible/optical warning other than the discovery of overfill on the dip stick. I'm aware of a low oil level sensor, but none for overfilling.

(Lately I hear a lot of "creative" answers from [uneducated] SA's,
I'd call it BS, but maybe it is pure ignorance
)