GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

engine oil level indication - dry or wet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350
engine oil level indication - dry or wet

I want to know how you folks check the engine oil level in your GLK 350. I have checked mine a couple of times and the dipstick bottom will be dry - no indication whatever of any oil being in the oil sump. I went to my MB dealer and the service adviser told me to only check the oil at a 5 minute interval after turning the engine off. AND, to never add oil unless the low oil level engine warning lamp came on, and then only add 1 quart of oil.
Today, I was wiping down the engine compartment and pulled the oil dipstick and the lower indicating portion was completely dry - no oil on the dipstick. Coincidentally, my neighbor came by and he is an owner of a MB with the same engine. I told him to look at this - as I pulled the dipstick to show him the completely dry indicator. There was oil on the dipstick this time. The time since I had first checked the oil level and the second check could not have been more than 5 minutes.
What happened??? I believe the oil tube that holds the oil dipstick is practically air tight and when I pulled the dipstick the first time, the tube vented and oil ran up the dipstick tube and wetted the dipstick. The second time I pulled the dipstick to show my neighbor, the dipstick was indicating the oil level because the oil had run up into the dipstick tube following the first time I pulled the dipstick as the tube had vented, allowing oil to fill the tube.
If this is right, there is something wrong with the tube/sump level. I don't know how the oil dipstick tube or oil pan/sump is constructed which provides the ability to measure the oil level in the sump. What I do know is this is a mystery and is not answered by waiting for 5 minutes after shutting off the engine to measure the oil level. That does not make sense to me. This is my first MB and I do not believe MB has designed an engine with such a requirement to wait for the oil to drain back into the sump to check the oil level. Does anyone out there have any experience with seeing the same phenomena?
Can anyone comment on their experience with oil level indication? My neighbor says he does not have any issue with his car oil level indication and he has the same engine.
Thanks for any comments and insights.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
On my GLK, (and all cars,) I check the oil on a level surface, engine off for at least a minute, pull the dipstick, wipe clean, re insert and check again.
The dipstick is o ring sealed, but that is to prevent unmetered air entering and bypassing the air flow meter.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:47 AM

GLK 350
Thanks for the reply.
My experience is there is nothing on the dipstick to wipe clean. It is dry as a bone. Once the dipstick is pulled and reinserted, the second pull of the dipstick yields a dipstick with oil on it.
That's my question - is this normal to pull a dry dipstick - i.e. no oil on the dipstick to wipe clean???
Old 10-07-2012, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Originally Posted by SROJOE
Thanks for the reply.
My experience is there is nothing on the dipstick to wipe clean. It is dry as a bone. Once the dipstick is pulled and reinserted, the second pull of the dipstick yields a dipstick with oil on it.
That's my question - is this normal to pull a dry dipstick - i.e. no oil on the dipstick to wipe clean???
I also get this on my GLK. But I only assume that it is sealed and when I pull and push it breaks that seal and let you really see what you have in there. Maybe I'll ask the dealer before I get her back from service.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:03 AM

2015 VW GTI.S4; 2016 Audi Q3 Prestige
I check my oil level only after the car has sat overnight or for 4 hours.

Thought being that all oil has come down from the engine crevices & will provide me a solid reading from the pan.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:25 AM

11 GLK350
Thanks for the reply.
i got the same thing when i checked a few months back. 2nd would come up oil but not first. (i never got a low oil light) i just threw in some more oil just to safe.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
- I went to my MB dealer and the service adviser told me to only check the oil at a 5 minute interval after turning the engine off.
Accordingly to "Notes on checking engine oil level" procedure in the (2011) GLK Operator's Manual (http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...l/2011_glk.pdf):

"When checking the oil level

· the vehicle must be parked on level ground

· with the engine at operating temperature, the vehicle must have been stationary for at least 5 minutes with the engine turned off

· with the engine not at operating temperature, the vehicle must have been stationary for at least 30 minutes with the engine turned off"

-What happened??? I believe the oil tube that holds the oil dipstick is practically air tight and when I pulled the dipstick the first time, the tube vented and oil ran up the dipstick tube and wetted the dipstick. The second time I pulled the dipstick -
From the manual, "Checking engine oil level":

"► Pull out oil dipstick.

Wipe oil dipstick clean.

Slowly insert oil dipstick fully into the dipstick guide tube.

Pull out oil dipstick again after approximately 3 seconds to obtain accurate reading.
The oil level is correct when it is between lower (min) mark and upper (max) mark of oil dipstick."

So by pulling the dipstick two times are you following the MB procedure.

What the background for the mystery/phenomenon is - MB engineers only knows(?)
Old 10-09-2012, 12:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK 350, 300ce
I'm with shotgun_banjo and GLKKa2H on this. Why worry about the first pull since the instructions tell us to dip then pull to get a reading? Wiping clean does not really indicate if any oil is supposed to be on the dipstick or not, it's just standard procedure.

Could be that while operating, the seal on of the dipstick in the dipstick tube keeps oil out purposefully.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 GLK 350 4matic, 2014 BMW M235i
Thanks for the reply.
My 2012 behaves in exactly the same manner. I just about s**t a brick the first time I pulled the dipstick, until I figured it out. I guess this is normal - pull it, wipe it, reinsert, pull it again for oil level check. The second check revealed a normal oil level. Weird, but ok once you get used to it.

3.5L
Old 10-15-2012, 05:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
--
Originally Posted by GLKKa2H
Accordingly to "Notes on checking engine oil level" procedure in the (2011) GLK Operator's Manual (http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...l/2011_glk.pdf):

Seems like not everybody gets a manual
Old 10-15-2012, 07:20 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
^^
Correction: Seems like not everybody READ the manual

I am one of them.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:42 PM

civic corrado glk
yup i don't have one as well
Old 01-22-2013, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Cool

Thanks for the reply.
Yes. Perfectly normal. Explained in the manual. Pull twice. Check oil level once. Done.

Wayne
Old 06-13-2013, 05:37 PM

2012 E350
May cause a problem

I wasn't aware of having to insert the dipstick twice and thought I had run out of oil. My dealer's service department told me I am not the first person to make that mistake and some folks added oil and then discovered they had too much oil in the engine, requiring more work to remedy the problem. In my opinion part of the show-and-tell when a car is picked up is being apprised of this two-dip situation, especially for old car guys who no longer have anything else they can do but check the oil level--I am one of them.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:49 AM

99' Lexus RX300-retired, 01' BMW 330i
I thought there is no oil dipstick for GLK hahah. Could you tell me where is the oil dipstick? Pictures would be very helpful. Do we have dipstick for tranny as well and where is it? Thks

Last edited by Showa; 06-15-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:24 AM

2012 E350
Sorry that I posted my message on the wrong thread. I have an E350.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:29 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
Originally Posted by Showa
I thought there is not oil dipstick for GLK hahah. Could you tell me where is the oil dipstick? Pictures would be very helpful. Do we have dipstick for tranny as well and where is it? Thks

I've found the oil dipstick a long time ago but could not find the tranny dipstick.
Could you please tell me where is the tranny dipstick??
Old 06-14-2013, 06:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
Originally Posted by Showa
I thought there is not oil dipstick for GLK hahah. Could you tell me where is the oil dipstick? Pictures would be very helpful. Do we have dipstick for tranny as well and where is it? Thks
I don't think there will be a "2103 GLK350 Pebble grey, Almond/mocha MB-Tex, AMG styling pkg, Premium 1 pkg, Multimedia pkg, Heated seats, Keyless go" - hence no oil dipstick

For your MY 2013 350 GLK do I believe the oil dipstick is repositioned with regard to earlier models, note a benzworld post, courtesy of freedomgli: "It's on the right hand side (standing at front of vehicle facing the engine) near the firewall. For some stupid reason it has a green pull knob instead of the more common yellow pull handle with finger loop."

I'm not aware of any dipstick for tranny.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:31 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by MBNA109
I check my oil level only after the car has sat overnight or for 4 hours.

Thought being that all oil has come down from the engine crevices & will provide me a solid reading from the pan.
I realize this is an old thread... but I notice that if I check my oil level after it has sat overnight, it actually shows LESS oil.

Overnight - midway between the low and high marks.

After vehicle is at operating temp and after waiting 30 minutes, oil will show high to slightly overfilled.

Anyone else notice this?

... not sure if my car is overfilled or not.

Also seem to have the same issue on my C63.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Red GLK350, blue '87 Toyota Land Cruiser
Just like carpentry---Pull twice, check once.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by tuffcalc
I realize this is an old thread... but I notice that if I check my oil level after it has sat overnight, it actually shows LESS oil.

Overnight - midway between the low and high marks.

After vehicle is at operating temp and after waiting 30 minutes, oil will show high to slightly overfilled.

Anyone else notice this?

... not sure if my car is overfilled or not.

Also seem to have the same issue on my C63.
oil expands when hot...and there are 8-9qts of it. On my air cooled Porsche nothing registers on the dipstick until car is fully warmed up.