GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Gas Blunder and Parking Sensor Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes Benz GLK220 4Matic BlueEfficiency
Gas Blunder and Parking Sensor Issue

So I drive a 220 CDI (diesel) and I went to fill up today. Before I turned off the engine, the guy started filling the tank! I turned it off right away. The car seemed to run fine; I drove another 5 km or so afterwards. Should be okay right?

On another note, my right front parking sensor is going off for no reason. I thought there was a leaf or something stuck to it but there's nothing. It's very cold here (-10 degrees celcius) so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Any help? Thanks.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
The blunder was pumping gasoline into a hole labeled DIESEL ONLY? Hmmmm...shop somewhere else in the future?
According to several folks at this forum and the M-B owner's manual, you should have immediately filled the tank with diesel. In cold weather, it is permissable to run up to 15% gasoline in your tank. A little gasoline won't hurt in the context of a full tank.

Wayne
Old 12-25-2012, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by venchka
The blunder was pumping gasoline into a hole labeled DIESEL ONLY? Hmmmm...shop somewhere else in the future?
According to several folks at this forum and the M-B owner's manual, you should have immediately filled the tank with diesel. In cold weather, it is permissable to run up to 15% gasoline in your tank. A little gasoline won't hurt in the context of a full tank.

Wayne
Sorry, I meant that the guy was filling up with 'diesel' while the car was still running. I read somewhere that this is okay for diesel so hopefully there won't be any issues.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
Originally Posted by bha1980
So I drive a 220 CDI (diesel) and I went to fill up today. Before I turned off the engine, the guy started filling the tank! I turned it off right away. The car seemed to run fine; I drove another 5 km or so afterwards. Should be okay right? -
That depends. If you "turned off the engine" right away and minimum 90% of tank volume was diesel when filling was completed, you may be safe. If not, a drain of the tank should be be the next action taken.
- On another note, my right front parking sensor is going off for no reason. I thought there was a leaf or something stuck to it but there's nothing. It's very cold here (-10 degrees celcius) so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Any help? Thanks.
The -10 degrees celcius temperature as such is not the sole source of the (false?) warning. Any scratches on the front of the sensor, or has there been an impact in this area of the bumper?

If there is a malfunction in the Parktronic system, the red distance segments illuminates and an acoustic warning sounds.

If sensor(s) is/are dirty, only the red distance segments illuminate and no acoustic warning sounds.

Make sure the sensor is clean, use a mild vehicle wash detergent with plenty of water, if suspected being dirty. Use a soft, non-scratching cloth.
Any chance there is, or builds up, a thin film of ice on the sensor in question? Or have the GLK been thru a carwash or any other humid environment? Moisture being the suspect, use a hairdryer in front of it - gently! - and note any change.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by GLKKa2H
That depends. If you "turned off the engine" right away and minimum 90% of tank volume was diesel when filling was completed, you may be safe. If not, a drain of the tank should be be the next action taken.

The -10 degrees celcius temperature as such is not the sole source of the (false?) warning. Any scratches on the front of the sensor, or has there been an impact in this area of the bumper?

If there is a malfunction in the Parktronic system, the red distance segments illuminates and an acoustic warning sounds.

If sensor(s) is/are dirty, only the red distance segments illuminate and no acoustic warning sounds.

Make sure the sensor is clean, use a mild vehicle wash detergent with plenty of water, if suspected being dirty. Use a soft, non-scratching cloth.
Any chance there is, or builds up, a thin film of ice on the sensor in question? Or have the GLK been thru a carwash or any other humid environment? Moisture being the suspect, use a hairdryer in front of it - gently! - and note any change.
Thanks for the tips.

Actually, yes, I just went through a car wash when the sensor started going crazy. When I got to work, I just turned off the sensors and then turned them back on again and now it's fine.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:09 PM

You're welcome,and thanks for the feedback, thus can an issue "be closed".

Don't forget to refill the tank frequently, to reduce the percentage of gasoline. N/A - an embarrassing mistake!

Wish you a:

Last edited by GLKKa2H; 12-28-2012 at 07:09 AM. Reason: I STAND CORRECTED
Old 12-27-2012, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
The OP is not asking whether gasoline is harmful to a diesel engine. He is asking if it is harmful to leave the engine running while gas is being pumped... No where in his post does he state that the attendant put the wrong type of fuel in. Where do people come up with this stuff? It's like they only see what they want to see and then reply to it. The GLK forum seems to have more of these kind of people that just want to put any answer they can come up with out there as fast as they possibly can.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK350
Originally Posted by dcjwlee
The OP is not asking whether gasoline is harmful to a diesel engine. He is asking if it is harmful to leave the engine running while gas is being pumped... No where in his post does he state that the attendant put the wrong type of fuel in. Where do people come up with this stuff? It's like they only see what they want to see and then reply to it. The GLK forum seems to have more of these kind of people that just want to put any answer they can come up with out there as fast as they possibly can.
lol, it seems like we're all in such a hurry we don't take the time to read properly oh well. Happy New Year everyone
Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 PM

So I drive a 220 CDI (diesel) and I went to fill up today. Before I turned off the engine, the guy started filling the tank! I turned it off right away. The car seemed to run fine; I drove another 5 km or so afterwards. Should be okay right?

On another note, my right front parking sensor is going off for no reason. I thought there was a leaf or something stuck to it but there's nothing. It's very cold here (-10 degrees celcius) so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Any help? Thanks.
I think the main concern of idling while filling up is the possibility of a fire. That said, if your fuel filler cap is not properly fastened it will trigger a CEL (Why, I don't know).

If basic troubleshooting provided above for your parking sensors does not work I guess it is time for a trip to a reliable ship that works with these cars.

I see your location is Seoul. Permanent resident or service member?

Edit: I envy all of you with diesel Mercedes. I truly wish they would bring them stateside. Soon, I keep telling myself. Soon.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

Dude,
It was an honest mistake. Did you read my "?" in the first post?
Chill.
Every internal combustion engine manual on earth says, "Stop engine before refueling." Lawyer speak in case of a 1 in 1,000,000 refueling accident. Besides, who gets full service in the U.S.? Again, an honest mistake.
Happy New Year!

Wayne
Old 12-27-2012, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by venchka
Dude,
It was an honest mistake. Did you read my "?" in the first post?
Chill.
Every internal combustion engine manual on earth says, "Stop engine before refueling." Lawyer speak in case of a 1 in 1,000,000 refueling accident. Besides, who gets full service in the U.S.? Again, an honest mistake.
Happy New Year!

Wayne
Sorry Wayne, it wasn't directed specifically at you. I guess if anyone it was directed at GLK. But really, it isn't just a problem on this forum there is the whole TCU reset myth (using the gas pedal and ignition), DRL's acting as fog lights, and all these things are debunked using the search tool or a quick search engine query.

In New Jersey it is against the law to fill up your own vehicle (). So full service it is!
Old 12-28-2012, 02:26 AM

I think the main concern of idling while filling up is the possibility of a fire. That said, if your fuel filler cap is not properly fastened it will trigger a CEL (Why, I don't know).

If basic troubleshooting provided above for your parking sensors does not work I guess it is time for a trip to a reliable ship that works with these cars.

I see your location is Seoul. Permanent resident or service member?

Edit: I envy all of you with diesel Mercedes. I truly wish they would bring them stateside. Soon, I keep telling myself. Soon.
The parking sensors are fine now; I just turned them off and on again and it stopped bleeping unnecessarily.

I'm a permanent resident in Seoul. Diesels are getting really popular here and it's the only model of GLK that's sold. Most C classes here are also diesel (200s and 220s) and they have diesel variants for all the classes. Fuel efficiency is better and diesel is actually cheaper in Korea than gasoline. However, it does get quite loud especially during the winter months. I'm not sure how loud a 3.5 gasoline engine is but I'm assuming it would be quieter than a diesel.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:05 AM

Sorry, I meant that the guy was filling up with 'diesel' while the car was still running. I read somewhere that this is okay for diesel so hopefully there won't be any issues.
I STAND CORRECTED, with regard to the gas blunder issue. It’s quite embarrassing that I needed a second eye opener to realize I didn’t catch the very clear clarification you provided.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by phil17
- Happy New Year everyone
And to you!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:00 AM

No worries on the misread guys. Honest mistake

Happy 2013 to all!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The pesky fuel filler cap triggered Check Engine Light on my Volvo S70 is why we now own a GLK 350.
That's a whole other story!

A most prosperous and happy new year to all!

Wayne