GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Any one cross shopping with 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Old 03-05-2013, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slk
Any one cross shopping with 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Jeep GC and GLK are on the same price range. 2014 raised the bar with 8 speed tanny, 8" + 7" infotainment, diesel option, quadra lift - seems like lot of gadgetry for the money. So I am wondering if any one considering looking at GC if you are in the market. Well I am. But a 3 pointed star is that good to hold on to? Your thoughts?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 Sport 4matic
Turned away from GLK250 order because of run-flats and no spare. Now going to buy 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel. Even trading in 2011 E350 Sport 4matic on the Jeep. Will have two diesels in our garage: present 2012 Passat TDI SEL and new 2014 Grand Cherokee Diesel. Turbo diesels work great driving in the mountains.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:12 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 GLK250BT, Polar White; 2016 GLE 300d, Polar White
Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver
Turned away from GLK250 order because of run-flats and no spare. Now going to buy 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel. Even trading in 2011 E350 Sport 4matic on the Jeep. Will have two diesels in our garage: present 2012 Passat TDI SEL and new 2014 Grand Cherokee Diesel. Turbo diesels work great driving in the mountains.
It's orange and apples. Have you read a link below?
http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...nd-rumble.html
Old 03-06-2013, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
"The diesel adds a stiff $4,500 to the sticker ($5,000 for the Summit model), partly thanks to the costs of the necessary diesel exhaust fluid treatment system."

Ouch...
Old 03-07-2013, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 Sport 4matic
The new Jeep Grand Cherokee is now a lot like an ML class with many premium features, but even with the diesel surcharge it is still about $15k less than an ML and about the same as the GLK.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:44 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 GLK250BT, Polar White; 2016 GLE 300d, Polar White
Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver
The new Jeep Grand Cherokee is now a lot like an ML class with many premium features, but even with the diesel surcharge it is still about $15k less than an ML and about the same as the GLK.
Check this old tread ML350 vs. JGC:
https://mbworld.org/forums/new-m-cla...-cherokee.html
Old 03-07-2013, 09:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Will wait and see a JGC eco diesel in person.
I have seen many vehicles that look great in photos and reviews, but when I test drove them, big disappointment.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:19 AM

GLK250 BT
If you are looking at a Jeep you should be aware of this:
http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dep...ss-release.htm
Old 03-08-2013, 12:03 PM

slk
It makes sense Jeep and Land Rover are at the bottom of the JD Power list. They make only SUVs and people are using for off roading, towing and what not unlike lexus which is never driven hard. Even Ultimate driving machine - BWM is falling short because people 'drive' them!

Anyhow coming back to the topic here is my observation so far. Jeep may not be good at servicing diesel in US, better to stick to MB if diesel is your thing. Comparing gas GLK and JGC, JGC has a lot more to offer, even the size. But MB service is much better. Then the comparable MB vehicle will be ML at much higher price point. Then it becomes comparing apples and oranges! And it goes on... bottom line is buy what you can afford. Like what you buy!

Last edited by ashwats; 03-08-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Gt. Dane
If you are looking at a Jeep you should be aware of this:
http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dep...ss-release.htm
thats extremely relevant....115 problems vs 178 with the Jeep...the lexus and porsche isn't looking so bad either with under 100 problems.
All I could add to this (if any) is that I too was in the market for a cherokee before I bought the GLK...first off, check the warranty...MB can offer a ton in this area you can even extend the warranty and pre pay for future service plans... while jeep is only a 3year bumper to bumper and thats it...another big thing to consider is to feel the interior and drive the car...its not up to par at all with MB standards, fit, finish, materials, assembly, ride and drivability...theres very few vehicles out there that can compare to a MB...just to give you an idea...I test drove a cherokee, an audi Q5 the MB ML, C350 and GLK350 4matic...

in all honesty the cherokee drove more like the MB C class on a high chassis...you could feel every bit of the road...very stiff suspension and ride...the interior on the cherokee has that ford F150 plastic feel to it...everything in that car screams "im trying too hard to be luxurious even though im just a truck in disguise"...
the audi q5 was great but it lacked a certain presence to it...it looked very bland and generic inside and out...kinda like the waiting room at a dentist office...very nice and quaint but nothing of excitement...the ML was beautiful but it drove as if you were disconnected too much from the road...almost as if you were on a monorail or something just magnetically gliding over the road...the GLK had it all for me, luxury, refinement, drivability, road feel and handling, pick up (3504matic) it really feels as if your in some kind of concept vehicle when you drive it. I love it...but everything i love about the GLK has been somewhat modified in the new GLK model...like the absence of a shifter in the center column, the boxy angular dash, and the chiseled angular exterior lines now look like if the car had anaphylaxis due to a bee sting in the front...

...and I also saw a late model cherokee on the side of the freeway on fire...cant say why it was lit up like the 4th of july but it was still flaming so in a way Im very happy with my GLK but I do understand the need for a diesel. i would certainly wait for the GLK Diesel.

...by the looks of that report you should also stay clear of land rover...ouch!!! also the lexus RS looks promising but theres something about the shifter being vertical and right under the radio that throws me off...call me crazy.

Last edited by erlomd; 03-08-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:55 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
Originally Posted by erlomd
...call me crazy.
You are crazy... there I said it.

Even though JGC and GLK are in the same price range but they are certainly not the same car/level.

If you have a big boat to tow, go with JGC.
For daily driving pleasure, GLK is all the way.

Just like someone else mentioned before, it's like comparing apples and oranges.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
damn right im carzy...lol
but hey you do have a point on towing capacity...the GLK offers 3500lb towing capacity while the JGC starts with 5000lb in a V6 configuration and the 5.7L v8 has up to 7200lb...of course this may change drastically with the diesel...so yeah if you have a huge >30ft open fisherman or a crane with a wrecking ball (you never know)...then yeah JGC all the way.

the MB diesel is rated at 2400kg towing capacity (around 5200lbs) so in diesel form it would be great for all your towing needs that a german luxury SUV can offer... :-)

but hey what people don't realize as they buy these GLKs for their soccer mom wives or as a plain jane daily commuter is that the GLK is a true off roader...theres very impressive videos showing off its talents...and I know from personal experience that it handles beautifully in the snow...even on 19" wheels with Pirelli low profile tires...I do alot of off roading activities (not in the car) but the GLK takes me to all those places without any problems...usually up in the california mountains

but I do see your point on apples to oranges...the GLK is a lot smaller...you would have to weigh in cargo space that your looking for into the equation...and as for passengers...I'm 6'1 and I have a memory seat position which lets the passenger behind me be somewhat comfortable...other than that its pretty much for very skinny people in back...
now that I think about it they should have just made the GLK a 2 door like the RR evoke...
and then just change the name to: verrückt weg von der Straßenausländer maschine
which translates to: crazy off road alien machine

but as someone else on here said: buy what you need, what you like and what you can afford.

Last edited by erlomd; 03-08-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:09 AM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
Originally Posted by erlomd
damn right im carzy...lol

now that I think about it they should have just made the GLK a 2 door like the RR evoke...
and then just change the name to: verrückt weg von der Straßenausländer maschine.
The 2 doors GLK might (or might not) arrive in 2016.
I wouldn't want one but some might.