GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Sheer sunshade for sunroof

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350
Sheer sunshade for sunroof

I have a 2013 GLK. I am getting too much sun from the sheer sunshade. Has anyone found a solution?

Diana

Last edited by dianarob; 04-30-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:41 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
I have a 2014 ordered and wanted it w/o the roof since we have a lot of sun here in Arizona. I have heard that some people have installed a high quality window film, on the inside of the sunroof, that helps keep out a lot of heat. I would search for the film with the best heat repellent not necessarily the darkest.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:49 PM

GLK350, G55, AMG GTS, C63 507
I have tint on my windows and windshield which also helps with the heat.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:31 PM

2013 GLK
...we have a lot of sun here in Arizona. I have heard that some people have installed a high quality window film, on the inside of the sunroof, that helps keep out a lot of heat.

+1

I'm in Scottsdale; '13 GLK with pano-roof. Installed Huber Optic (heat repelling) tint on underside of roof glass and surrounding windows. IMHO, best product out there for tinting glass in extreme heat climates. Very pleased w/ results.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:34 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
Thanks for the recommendation. Where in Scottsdale did you get the work done and any idea what they charged? I'm in North Scottsdale and have my GLK ordered at Schumachers.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:03 PM

2013 GLK
MB Jim - HOWDY, neighbor.

North Scottsdale here, too. Troon North right next to Four Seasons. Anyway, Schumacher should do it for you (for a fee). When I bought my '08 there, Huber Optik was the ONLY product Schumacher used on windows. Bought my '13 GLK from Arrowhead MB; one of their guys installed H.O. for me (on a Saturday, at my house, cash is king sorta thing).

Danny's and a few other auto-spas in area install Huber Optik window film. A lot of shops here in Scottsdale are switching to some 3M heat repelling film; not sure why. I like H.O. so I stick w/ what I know. Product is so good at repelling heat gain its on a few S/W windows on my house, too.

I'd suggest checking w/ dealership, first, for price quote on H.O. or similar product; then contact a few of the local auto spas (Classic Car Spa, Danny's, etc) to check their install rates. Also inquire about the 3M stuff. Heat repelling is key; perhaps 3M is the better stuff nowadays. Dunno.

Finally, there are a few places in the Airpark that install both products. Google>Huber Optik Installers, Scottsdale, AZ and I'm sure you find a few.

Good luck...and enjoy your GLK!

Last edited by Landrover2001; 05-01-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:17 PM

2013 GLK 350
Originally Posted by Landrover2001
MB Jim - HOWDY, neighbor.

North Scottsdale here, too. Troon North right next to Four Seasons. Anyway, Schumacher should do it for you (for a fee). When I bought my '08 there, Huber Optik was the ONLY product Schumacher used on windows. Bought my '13 GLK from Arrowhead MB; one of their guys installed H.O. for me (on a Saturday, at my house, cash is king sorta thing).

Danny's and a few other auto-spas in area install Huber Optik window film. A lot of shops here in Scottsdale are switching to some 3M heat repelling film; not sure why. I like H.O. so I stick w/ what I know. Product is so good at repelling heat gain its on a few S/W windows on my house, too.

I'd suggest checking w/ dealership, first, for price quote on H.O. or similar product; then contact a few of the local auto spas (Classic Car Spa, Danny's, etc) to check their install rates. Also inquire about the 3M stuff. Heat repelling is key; perhaps 3M is the better stuff nowadays. Dunno.

Finally, there are a few places in the Airpark that install both products. Google>Huber Optik Installers, Scottsdale, AZ and I'm sure you find a few.

Good luck...and enjoy your GLK!
I'm over in the West Valley, but I actually spoke to a tint installer today and he recommended against tinting the pano roof. Is your Huber Optik film a dark tint, or is it a clear heat repellent or reflective tint? I am looking to get this done too, but my installer made me second guess it because he told me in extreme heat the glass (even though its blocking the sun/heat from entering inside the car) will get extremely hot and many times will shatter due to the extreme temps. He said because the pano roof is already a privacy (or dark glass) that adding extra film to darken it will cause it to potentially shatter, since the sun is usually shining directly on the roof for the majority of the summer days. I was thinking if it was possible to tint the privacy glass in the rest of the windows with no issue, why would it shatter the roof? But I guess I can see how it makes sense, since the roof gets direct sun more then any other window.

Last edited by RedlineAZ; 05-02-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:52 PM

2013 GLK
Originally Posted by RedlineAZ
I'm over in the West Valley, but I actually spoke to a tint installer today and he recommended against tinting the pano roof. Is your Huber Optik film a dark tint, or is it a clear heat repellent or reflective tint?
The Huber Optik installed on my car is almost clear, translucent on roof (its ceramic-based, heat repelling). The Huber Optik on my side windows is darker for added privacy but also heat repellant. The concerns raised by your installer aren't without merit; other installers won't touch pano roofs, sunroofs, etc for the very reason you mentioned. I know and accept the risks based on my multi-year experience w/ Huber Optik (its on my house windows, too) and the high-quality of glass used by MB, BMW, Audi and the like. Would I do it on an '86 Firebird T-Top? Heck no. I didn't do it on an '11 GM product I owned prior to the GLK, either. GM's glass was simply sub-par IMHO. Looking back, I was happy the GM pano roof both closed and opened without flying off But to each is own; could your GLK pano roof glass crack? I don't know. Possibly. I park in a garage at home and in the shade wherever possible. I also own a '12 E350 Coupe, pano roof, no upper heat repellant film. This summer will tell me if there is a substantial difference in cabin heat gain between vehicles, or not. There's a TON of online info. specific to Huber Optik on BMW's forums, H.O.'s own website, etc., maybe take a look around and read-up. You raise a valid point for others to consider.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:17 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
I was thinking about the concept of heat transfer. Heat will transfer to a cooler area. With that in mind it is possible if we simply cracked the SR a little, we could reduce the heat buildup in the cabin. Remember that a car, sitting in the sun, will get significantly hotter inside than the outside ambient temperature. With that in mind, cracking open the SR a little will let the very hot air in the cabin to transfer to the cooler ambient air. You could, of course, crack open any window to the the very hot inside escape.