Windshield Wiper anomaly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 GLC 300
Windshield Wiper anomaly

Greetings,

I just took delivery of a GLK 250 BTC, which so far I am very pleased with. I'm coming out of an ML 350 BTC, and I like it better so far.

I do however have one oddity that is a bit annoying. I noticed that during a moderate rain, the drivers side windshield wiper drags water about 1/3 of the way back across the windshield. I read some older threads on this (2010?) and was wondering if there was ever an official (or unoffical) fix for this. Seems that if the problem has been around for this long, they would have resolved it by now.

Anyhow, thanks for any input anyone can provide.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK250 BT
I have the same issue. I recall seeing an earlier post about this but could not find it again.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
"windshield Wipers & Rain": https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...pers-rain.html
Old 05-10-2013, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,104 Likes on 809 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Have your Windshield"RainX-Pro'd" by a auto glass shop and put that behind you - a glass shop has the right gear to do the right job... no RainX-Pro on the rain sensor area
Old 05-11-2013, 11:38 AM

2019 GLC 300
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Have your Windshield"RainX-Pro'd" by a auto glass shop and put that behind you - a glass shop has the right gear to do the right job... no RainX-Pro on the rain sensor area
I read in another thread that RainX caused more problems than it helped, unless you have no windshield wipers at all. Would be curious however to know if anyone has specifcally used this to address this problem.

Thanks for the input !!
Old 05-12-2013, 01:35 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Rainex experience

Originally Posted by davatk
I read in another thread that RainX caused more problems than it helped, unless you have no windshield wipers at all. Would be curious however to know if anyone has specifcally used this to address this problem.

Thanks for the input !!
My simple solution. I buy Rainex windshield washer fluid @ about $3/gallon.Use it as the washer fluid and also put it into spray bottle and clean all exterior windows. Cleans well and is easy to apply. Dry off with paper towels and then go over with microfiber cloth to get rid of any smears.Have been doing this for several years and no problems. EASY,QUICK AND CHEAP!
Old 05-12-2013, 09:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GLA250 4MATIC
I tried to look out for it yesterday during some heavy and moderate rain and I saw a bit of what you were talking about, but it's not the wipers. At certain speeds, the way the windshield is angled, water starts to pool on the left side of the windshield. Wind is actually holding it up and preventing gravity from letting it come down. The water sticks to the wipers because of surface tension and gets pulled over the windshield. It's not that bad on my car. If I hadn't been looking for it, it would have never bothered me.

It's a combination of the windshield angle and speed. If you slow down, gravity will take over and the water will just run down. I only noticed it when going around 70mph, give or take 10 mph.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:28 AM

2019 GLC 300
Originally Posted by kozak79
I tried to look out for it yesterday during some heavy and moderate rain and I saw a bit of what you were talking about, but it's not the wipers. At certain speeds, the way the windshield is angled, water starts to pool on the left side of the windshield. Wind is actually holding it up and preventing gravity from letting it come down. The water sticks to the wipers because of surface tension and gets pulled over the windshield. It's not that bad on my car. If I hadn't been looking for it, it would have never bothered me.

It's a combination of the windshield angle and speed. If you slow down, gravity will take over and the water will just run down. I only noticed it when going around 70mph, give or take 10 mph.
I would agree that it appears to be a design issue and not necessarily a wiper problem. That said, some folks - like yourself seem not to have the problem as much as others - and I'm wondering why. Your statement about it being hardly noticeable is not my experience. Next time it rains moderately I'll try to catch some pics or a video.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:12 AM

GLK250 BT
Originally Posted by davatk

Thanks for the input !!
Not sure what problems Rain-X causes. I have been using it for about 20 years and notice the visibility deteriorate when it wears off too much.

It doesn't prevent the little band of water being pulled back by the drivers side wiper though, but it may reduce it. I can't do a comparison because i Rain-x'd my windshield right from day 1.

Perhaps one of those little wings that clip on the wiper might help elimate that low pressure area behind the wiper.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Gt. Dane
Not sure what problems Rain-X causes. I have been using it for about 20 years and notice the visibility deteriorate when it wears off too much.

It doesn't prevent the little band of water being pulled back by the drivers side wiper though, but it may reduce it. I can't do a comparison because i Rain-x'd my windshield right from day 1.

Perhaps one of those little wings that clip on the wiper might help elimate that low pressure area behind the wiper.
I have similar tenure and results with RainX fluid. No need to have a professional application, just start using the washer fluid.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:23 PM

GLK 250 2014
I have the same problem, but really bad in hard rain and especially in snow. It almost becomes dangerous driving on highways to a point that I try to avoid driving my 2014 GLK250
in hard rain and snow. I would like to hear from other people having this problem so that we can get MB to do something about it.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:13 PM

GLK250 BT
I complained to the dealer about this issue on my first service appointment, telling them it is a safety concern. Dont know what they did other than change the wiper blades, but the problem all but disappeared. That was about a year ago.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
There is nothing that can be done about it other than change the angle of the windshield. Too close to vertical. I've had this problem since day one on my 2010. new wiper blades, Rain-X tried them all no help.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
Just got my wifes GLK back from the dealer today for this very issue. This is the fourth time we've tried to solve it.

The windshield angle makes it prone to pitting and rock chips (our GLK is just over a year old and already had one windshield replaced, this new windshield is 2 weeks old and already cracked and ready for replacement again).

This latest go-around had the dealer replace our wiper blades because they were quite damaged from the pitted windshield.

I'm going to go another year with this and if I can't get a process down to solve the issue, we'll be getting rid of our GLK as the issue occurs directly in the drivers sight line and it's quite a safety issue when it's really muddy outside.