Washing white 2013 GLK Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Washing white 2013 GLK Issues

No carwashes or conventional carwash products allowed so I bought the wash kit from MB. I did not think that the results were satisfactory even though I followed the directions. Oh, and the wheel brush fell apart after 2 wheels.

Has anyone else had a poor experience with this wash or know a way to use it properly? It does not get the real dirt/bugs out, for example. The car is garaged except from 8am to 6 pm as a rule and we rinse off the car once a week.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK250 BT
You need to get the bugs off as soon as possible. They will etch your paint. Failing that you need to soften them. Let them soak under a wet towel for a half hour or remove them at the end of a rainy day. You can also use detailer or commercial bug remover to soften them.

Do not rub them with a wash cloth until you get almost everything off. The shells are very abrasive and will scratch. If you have a pressure washer you can use it to clean the worst of them off but be careful not to spray into your radiator or A/C.

I don't believe MB car wash is anything special, but I would purchase quality wash from a specialty site rather than Walmart products. I would also recommend you use a two bucket system - one with your soap and one with clear water to rinse your wash mit after each time you do a section of your car. The gets the grit off your mitt and keeps the grit out of your wash water.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Thank you Gt. Dane

Thank you for the good advice. I will try the detailer as well as the wet towel in different parts of the car.

After spraying with a PW at a low setting I did manage to get most of the junk off. It seems to be the plastic skirts below the doors that have the most problems with bug and road junk retention.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:47 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
A heavy coat of wax helps on the rockers & front fascia. I have the 3M clear Bra up front. Been using the purple Maguire's Car Wash concentrate for many years with good results but it will not take off the big stuff. 3M adhesive remover available in a quart can is very good at removing debris from painted surfaces & it does not harm the finish. Prevention is always best.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:03 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
Easiest and cheapest way to get bugs off front of cars is to use plain baking soda. Bugs are acidic. The basic baking soda quickly reacts. Over half a century ago I managed an old time filling station while in college. It included car wash and lube. That baking soda worked wonders on the Texas bugs of the day and was to SOP of the day. I still use the formula today. You can add a handful into a half liter of water, mix and with a sponge put on the bugs. Let it sit a couple of minutes then proceed to wash the car as usual. The bugs will be gone.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350,Ford Escape,Camry,C280
Remember baking soda is an abrasive. Popular in tooth paste. Be careful how you use it.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GLK
I use Meguiars Final Inspection No. 34; awesome product. Spray lightly on vehicle, let sit for a 15-20 seconds, wipe off with microfiber towel. While NOT advertised for removing bugs, etc., this product works wonders and is gentle on your car's finish. Benz will look showroom new after using.

Amazon.com: Meguiars Final Inspection, 1 Gallon: Automotive Amazon.com: Meguiars Final Inspection, 1 Gallon: Automotive
Old 06-02-2013, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,105 Likes on 810 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Mosst have not been told of the propoer care for the Mercedes current paint tech - the good news is that it is easy.

The new tech clearcoats are very hard - think ?nano ceramic clear coat" - but that hard clear coat is not glass-smooth and things like bugs will stick a bit.

With a clean-fresh MB - check Amazon and order Einszett Glanzwax which is actually a sealant specifically designed for this type of MB (and Porsche) clear coat - like $20 anbd that can will last 405 6 month applications on your GLK - on a clean GLK wipe on a thin even coat one section at a time - let dry/cure for about 30 min for that section - then wipe off the haze - good for wheels too - followup care care for added lustre and depth can be any spray nano-carnuba quick wax....which is also a dry wipe off product.

If you are going to clear-bra - find a shop thru 3M Venture Shield web locator and find one that does a "hand cut" rather than computer cut kit for best results..

DO NOT USE BAKING SODA ... dilute dishwasher deterent.. small tab .. in a spray bottle..spray on to loosen that sh*t up and wipe off.. you won't have that particular problem any where as bad after you have the proper sealant in place..
Old 07-30-2013, 11:16 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
Several reviews on the Einszett Glanzwax (blue tin) recommend applying a polish before the glanzwax.

Is this necessary for a new car? Or does the polish help the wax in some way?

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Mosst have not been told of the propoer care for the Mercedes current paint tech - the good news is that it is easy.

The new tech clearcoats are very hard - think ?nano ceramic clear coat" - but that hard clear coat is not glass-smooth and things like bugs will stick a bit.

With a clean-fresh MB - check Amazon and order Einszett Glanzwax which is actually a sealant specifically designed for this type of MB (and Porsche) clear coat - like $20 anbd that can will last 405 6 month applications on your GLK - on a clean GLK wipe on a thin even coat one section at a time - let dry/cure for about 30 min for that section - then wipe off the haze - good for wheels too - followup care care for added lustre and depth can be any spray nano-carnuba quick wax....which is also a dry wipe off product.

If you are going to clear-bra - find a shop thru 3M Venture Shield web locator and find one that does a "hand cut" rather than computer cut kit for best results..

DO NOT USE BAKING SODA ... dilute dishwasher deterent.. small tab .. in a spray bottle..spray on to loosen that sh*t up and wipe off.. you won't have that particular problem any where as bad after you have the proper sealant in place..
Old 08-04-2013, 12:47 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Nano wax

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1

Have very good success with EAGLE ONE NANO WAX & DETAILER. Used it for several years.