GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Stupid Question: GLK Seat Movement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 08:39 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
Stupid Question: GLK Seat Movement

I have what I think is abnormal for the front seat movement. Example: Driving long distance and my wife decides to move her seat back a bit, giving her more space. What happens is when she hit the slider switch rearward: yes, seat slides back, but also the headrest raises up & down. When doing it from the driveway from front to rear or back to front, the entire travel seems to give the headrest a mind of it's own. A question of safety comes to mind, say, the headrest is at the top of its travel (AKA Michel Jordan), an accident occurs and my wife's headrest won't be saving her! Could someone try this out (move seat linearly front to rear) and tell me if their headrest slides up & down depending on travel.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:54 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
Originally Posted by Koenig1
I have what I think is abnormal for the front seat movement. Example: Driving long distance and my wife decides to move her seat back a bit, giving her more space. What happens is when she hit the slider switch rearward: yes, seat slides back, but also the headrest raises up & down. When doing it from the driveway from front to rear or back to front, the entire travel seems to give the headrest a mind of it's own. A question of safety comes to mind, say, the headrest is at the top of its travel (AKA Michel Jordan), an accident occurs and my wife's headrest won't be saving her! Could someone try this out (move seat linearly front to rear) and tell me if their headrest slides up & down depending on travel.
That's normal for the GLK but you can manually lower the head rest just by itself.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:04 PM

2015 ML350 Bluetec
Oh... I realize she can lower/raise the headrest manually, but why would the headrest move at all with just moving the forward<>rear actuator switch??? Should it not remain in the same 'height' position?
Old 07-17-2013, 10:22 AM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
Oh... I realize she can lower/raise the headrest manually, but why would the headrest move at all with just moving the forward<>rear actuator switch??? Should it not remain in the same 'height' position?
It must be a "German engineer" thing. LOL
I think the car thinks that you're trying to fit "Michael Jordan" in, so it just raise the head rest up to accommodate.
The head rest also lower if you move the seat forward .... to accommodate "Mini Me"?
Old 07-17-2013, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
It assumes that you're adjusting the seat forward or backward to accommodate a shorter or taller (respectively) person and then adjusts the headrest down or up (again, respectively) to match the person of different height. It's something of a safety feature considering that most people never adjust the headrests in a car and if not adjusted, they may not serve their intended purpose in a crash.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:40 PM

2015 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by balticgreen
It's something of a safety feature considering that most people never adjust the headrests in a car and if not adjusted, they may not serve their intended purpose in a crash.
Oh.. I hear you, but let's assume that's the thought.... "Safety Feature???" Why would someone look to verify if their headrest, which was adjusted earlier(say, memory button) if they just pushed the forward/rearward seat button to say extend their legs.... so, not realizing the headrest has moved, are now in a 'unsafe' position with the headrest riding higher. I know this is stupid, but where's the logic???
Old 07-17-2013, 09:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Red GLK350, blue '87 Toyota Land Cruiser
Perhaps they should spend their engineering talents correcting deficits in the car such as terrible non-centering steering and accident causing hidden heater controls rather than gee whizzery crap.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Oh.. I hear you, but let's assume that's the thought.... "Safety Feature???" Why would someone look to verify if their headrest, which was adjusted earlier(say, memory button) if they just pushed the forward/rearward seat button to say extend their legs.... so, not realizing the headrest has moved, are now in a 'unsafe' position with the headrest riding higher. I know this is stupid, but where's the logic???
I agree with you but I think the "safety experts" would say that each person only has one "correct" seating position for maximum safety and that if you move the seat backwards for more leg room then you're positioning yourself too far from the airbag or something. In other words, "don't do that." Of course people do it, though. I have two memory positions set with one for normal driving and one for slightly more relaxed, highway driving.