Why did you buy your GLK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 02:34 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
The Emerald Cruiser - my 2024 GLE 350
Why did you buy your GLK?

Aloha everyone,

I will be joining your ranks as a Mercedes-Benz owner at the end of the year, and I'm vacillating between a GLK 350, and ML 350, and possibly an E 350. I have driven two SUVs for the past 12 years (both Lexus RX 350), so am very used to the size of the ML. I can much better afford to load out a GLK, however. I have a coworker that has one, and while it is a bit smaller inside, it's not that bad. We're both right at 6' tall,and when I sat in the back seat behind the driver's seat, I still had some legroom. I have yet to drive it, but the way he describes it, it should be just fine. The more I look at the GLK, the more I really like it. Of course, I'm talking about the gas version, as the price of diesel here in Hawaii is even higher than that of premium, but around 30 to 40 cents a gallon

I am curious as to why you made the purchase you did. Was it solely for monetary reasons, or did you base your decision on other factors? If so, what factored into your decision?

When I said that I could more afford to load out a GLK, I'm primarily talking about the safety features (4MATIC, Driver's Assistance pkg, Lane Assistant pkg, Parktronic pkg, etc...). I don't really care about the leather seating option - my coworker's MB-Tex is actually softer than the leather in my 2008 RX 350 The same goes for the Appearance and Sport packages - they are nice, but not really necessary. I would like to add Keyless-go (I'm getting a little lazy in my old age ) to any car I would buy, as well as the Premium 1 and Multimedia packages. There's a really nice one here in Honolulu that has everything except for 4MATIC selling for only $48,680, but it will most likely be gone by the time I get my financing in order.

One last question. I noticed, on mbusa.com's configurator, that you can setup a 2014 GLK with the Premium 1 package and the Parktronic packages, but also leave out the multimedia package. It is my understanding that you don't get the rear camera unless you get the multimedia package. If that is the case, is it still possible to get the Parktronic package with the 360 degree camera view, or is the multimedia package added on by default? I have noticed that the configurator does not match what some people have posted as their configurations, and need a little help muddling through the possible combinations. To that end, does anyone have a packages/options list for the MY2014 GLK 350? I have tried to find one online, but have met with no success as of yet.

To wrap this up, I am curious as to why you made the decision to purchase a GLK over the ML or GL. I know that for some of you, like myself, money is an object, but also suspect that some of you chose the GLK for other reasons. I like all of the MB SUVs, but for me, the GL is too large and the ML, configured the way I would like, is just out of my reach financially, as is also the case with the E 350. I have the choice, then, of buying an ML not quite configured to my liking, or a loaded GLK. I don't really think I can go wrong with either choice, but wanted to weight the pros and cons of each vehicle as carefully as I can prior to my purchase decision.

Many thanks for any and all responses.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11' GLK350 - AMG Package
I purchased my GLK about a month ago because I wanted something bigger than a car but smaller than my Escalade and would still achieve acceptable gas mileage. Regularly carry 3 passengers and wanted something more roomy in the back than a car (hate taking co-workers to lunch and have them jammed up in the back). My Escalade was roomy and completely loaded (air conditioned seats were hard to give up in Texas) but the 12.8 MPG I was getting was getting very old! To me, although money is a factor, it wasn't so much the cost of fuel consumption but the sheer burden of filling up non stop while knowing you are being completey inefficient. Took a staight hwy drive at 65mpg mostly, 70 mpg when the limit allowed and hand calculated ~25mpg in the GLK, averaging ~20-21 on average weekly with about a 75hwy/25city mix. I'm 5'11" and enjoy the elevated entry into the driver seat versus a car (also considered a C or E class but did not miss the feel of "getting down into a car"). A month in I love the GLK and it is / does exactly what I intended it to do.

Hope this helps

Last edited by baggedlvintegra; 08-07-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:43 PM

GLK350
Comfort, ride, fit, finish, integration of options and style.
Other x-overs look like cookie cutter style curves.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by baggedlvintegra
I purchased my GLK about a month ago because I wanted something bigger than a car but smaller than my Escalade and would still achieve acceptable gas mileage. Regularly carry 3 passengers and wanted something more roomy in the back than a car (hate taking co-workers to lunch and have them jammed up in the back). My Escalade was roomy and completely loaded (air conditioned seats were hard to give up in Texas) but the 12.8 MPG I was getting was getting very old! To me, although money is a factor, it wasn't so much the cost of fuel consumption but the sheer burden of filling up non stop while knowing you are being completey inefficient. Took a staight hwy drive at 65mpg mostly, 70 mpg when the limit allowed and hand calculated ~25mpg in the GLK, averaging ~20-21 on average weekly with about a 75hwy/25city mix. I'm 5'11" and enjoy the elevated entry into the driver seat versus a car (also considered a C or E class but did not miss the feel of "getting down into a car"). A month in I love the GLK and it is / does exactly what I intended it to do.

Hope this helps
Wow, I didn't know the gas milage for the Escalade was that bad! The GLK will most likely get me about the same mileage I'm getting in my RX - maybe a little bit more with the ECO stop/start. Do you use the eco mode often? I agree with your statement about "getting down" into a car. Personally, I like the higher seat with the better visibility. I'm an inch taller than you and, frankly, was surprised by how much leg room I had while sitting directly behind the driver's seat. Thank you for your response and, yes, it helps.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by chkmte
Comfort, ride, fit, finish, integration of options and style.
Other x-overs look like cookie cutter style curves.
I agree with your cookie cutter assessment. I really like the angular look of the GLK. In fact, I think I like that style better than the ML, which is a bit too rounded. The GLK resembles a smallish G wagon. My coworker has a MY2011 GLK, and I was very impressed with the fit and finish of his vehicle.

Just out of curiosity, what is the color of your interior? Here in Hawaii, I would think that black is not the right color choice, especially with MB-Tex, but my coworker says it doesn't really get that hot. Of course, he has the windshield screen to block the sun's rays from his seats. I was thinking of going with the almond or gray interior for specifically that reason.

Thanks for your response.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:38 PM

2013 GLK250BT
Why GLK?

My reason was DIESEL. I know that you aren't interested in a diesel, but since the GLK is the only 4-cylinder diesel with 4WD that's available in the USA, it came on my radar. Also, it fits in my garage, elevated seated position vs. a car. You really should consider the diesel, as I get 36-38mpg on a regular basis. This more than compensates for the price premium. (My premium is only about 20 cents over premium unleaded.)

The GLK is really more luxurious than I need or expect, but it's just a bonus.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by mike-nc
My reason was DIESEL. I know that you aren't interested in a diesel, but since the GLK is the only 4-cylinder diesel with 4WD that's available in the USA, it came on my radar. Also, it fits in my garage, elevated seated position vs. a car. You really should consider the diesel, as I get 36-38mpg on a regular basis. This more than compensates for the price premium. (My premium is only about 20 cents over premium unleaded.)

The GLK is really more luxurious than I need or expect, but it's just a bonus.
Not to mention the diesel variant also gets 4MATIC automatically! I'll have to crunch the numbers on the GLK 250. I work on a military base (Schofield Barracks), and it is my understanding that all military bases on Oahu do sell diesel, but I don't even know which pump(s) have it. I normally only see the three gasoline grades. I do a fair amount of highway travel, so my mpg is pretty good. When my wife drives my car, she unfortunately has a lot of stop and go traffic, so her mpg is pretty sad. What with the ECO stop/start and the diesel option, we may just do alright. Thanks for mentioning the GLK 250.

Thanks again for your response.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:57 PM

2010 911 Turbo Cabriolet, 2014 Mazda3
Stop/start is only available on the gasser by the way, as the diesel is already so efficient.

Diesel is also one of the major reasons why I got my GLK250. I realize the diesel Q5 version just came out and it's supposed to be a good performer as well. But I see way more of them (as well as X3's) on the road than GLK's where I live (Boston). So it feels more exclusive. In fact, one of my friends just recently bought an X3 and the other a Q5, both 2013 models. After sitting in those vehicles I have no regrets getting my MB.

It's true that there is less space (both passenger and cargo) in the GLK than either of those rivals. But it's just my wife and I so we normally won't have anyone sitting in the back. With the seats folded down there is plenty of luggage space for any extended trips.

The infotainment system in the MB is sub par but not a deal breaker. The overall build quality of the MB more than makes up for it. It just feels a lot more solid and luxurious. The fact that I'm getting 25% higher mileage is just icing on the cake.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-07-2013, 07:13 PM

2015 E63S AMG & 2013 GLK350
My GLK is my wife's daily driver so she had the most input in choosing and ordering it including the spc alum trim which I'm glad she chose. My first choice was an ML63 which I know is very different from the GLK but after two ML's ('99 ML430/'05 ML500) she had enough of the larger size and poor fuel economy. We looked at a few other brands but in the end fell for the looks of the GLK in and out (lighting & multimedia packages are a must), convenience features, and while the 302hp/273tq engine is too small for an ML it gets the GLK along just fine

In the end my wife and I couldn't be happier with the GLK, though an AMG version with more than just appearance would be nice but that's why I have my C63
Old 08-07-2013, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by TTA850
My GLK is my wife's daily driver so she had the most input in choosing and ordering it including the spc alum trim which I'm glad she chose. My first choice was an ML63 which I know is very different from the GLK but after two ML's ('99 ML430/'05 ML500) she had enough of the larger size and poor fuel economy. We looked at a few other brands but in the end fell for the looks of the GLK in and out (lighting & multimedia packages are a must), convenience features, and while the 302hp/273tq engine is too small for an ML it gets the GLK along just fine

In the end my wife and I couldn't be happier with the GLK, though an AMG version with more than just appearance would be nice but that's why I have my C63
It's funny that you mention that 302hp and 273 ft. lb. of torque are insufficient for the ML, as everything I have seen, at least on the 2013 ML 350 indicates that those are the specs for the ML's engine. Are they wrong, or am I interpreting that information incorrectly? I'm a bit confused by that. I like the size of the ML, but will take better mpg, if possible, from the GLK. I agree that the looks are one of the GLK's best features. I, as well, would be interested in seeing an AMG version of the GLK Oh, and congrats on your C63. I may just have to get one for me and give my wife the GLK, like you did

Last edited by bud.jones; 08-07-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by glayfan40
Stop/start is only available on the gasser by the way, as the diesel is already so efficient.

Diesel is also one of the major reasons why I got my GLK250. I realize the diesel Q5 version just came out and it's supposed to be a good performer as well. But I see way more of them (as well as X3's) on the road than GLK's where I live (Boston). So it feels more exclusive. In fact, one of my friends just recently bought an X3 and the other a Q5, both 2013 models. After sitting in those vehicles I have no regrets getting my MB.

It's true that there is less space (both passenger and cargo) in the GLK than either of those rivals. But it's just my wife and I so we normally won't have anyone sitting in the back. With the seats folded down there is plenty of luggage space for any extended trips.

The infotainment system in the MB is sub par but not a deal breaker. The overall build quality of the MB more than makes up for it. It just feels a lot more solid and luxurious. The fact that I'm getting 25% higher mileage is just icing on the cake.

Hope this helps!
Where are you located? Here in Honolulu, we see quite a few MB, BMW, and Audi vehicles, moreso in the "ritzier" parts of town. I don't see all that many GLKs, more MLs and a few GLs. My wife occasionally picks up our four nieces, but they are all young (the oldest is only 12, although she's pretty tall for her age) and don't take up all that much room anyway

Why do you say that the infotainment system is subpar? I ask because I haven't heard that specific comment from anyone. The closest thing I've heard is that it is very slow when trying to access the 'Net for the MB apps (it only has a 3G connection ). As long as I can charge my iPhone 5 and listen to my music via BT streaming, I'm OK. I understand that I won't be able to control my music via the steering wheel controls, but until my iPhone 5 can be recognized, by the GLK, via the iPod connection kit, I'll have to depend on BT streaming. I think Apple should get off the schnide and open up the APIs for the lightning connector. After all, Steve Jobs' favorite car was a Mercedes - Apple should really be working closer together with them.

I also was considering a BMW X3 xDrive 35i, but decided to go Mercedes instead. I question the location of the cupholders, being just forward of the gear control stalk in the center. While I haven't sat in the car, it looks to be awkward and a bit unsafe. My wife prefers Mercedes to BMW, so that made it a done deal

Last edited by bud.jones; 08-07-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:17 PM

TTA850, what exterior color is on your c63, Diamond White Metallic? It looks different in the picture from your wife's GLK, which appears to be Polar White. It that just an effect or am I right in that assessment? As for color, I've have silver-colored cars for the past 16 years, and don't know if I want to continue that tradition. I'm really torn, as I like both the Mars Red and the Lunar Blue Metallic on the GLK, but wouldn't count out the Dark Gray Metallic. I guess it's a good thing that I have until the end of the year to decide
Old 08-07-2013, 08:49 PM

2015 E63S AMG & 2013 GLK350
Originally Posted by bud.jones
It's funny that you mention that 302hp and 273 ft. lb. of torque are insufficient for the ML, as everything I have seen, at least on the 2013 ML 350 indicates that those are the specs for the ML's engine. Are they wrong, or am I interpreting that information incorrectly? I'm a bit confused by that. I like the size of the ML, but will take better mpg, if possible, from the GLK. I agree that the looks are one of the GLK's best features. I, as well, would be interested in seeing an AMG version of the GLK Oh, and congrats on your C63. I may just have to get one for me and give my wife the GLK, like you did
Thanks, and I do highly recommend an AMG - the C63 coupe is probably the best car I've owned so far and my favorite car to drive

Yes the ML350 has the same engine as the GLK350 but I feel the engine suits the GLK much better, I dont know if its gearing or weight but the GLK is about a second faster to 60mph and when I test drove the ML you could feel it.

My C is diamond white and the GLK is polar, my wife liked the brighter polar white and didn't want to pay for paint. I absolutely love diamond white, it looks amazing under different light conditions. Was it worth $1500+ I don't know but all I can say it I'm very happy with it. I too came from a silver car and before that a string of black cars so I've been eyeing white for a while. Lunar blue is also very nice I just wish it was a little more blue like the designo mystic blue metallic available on the CLS.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:04 PM

Why do you say that the infotainment system is subpar? I ask because I haven't heard that specific comment from anyone. The closest thing I've heard is that it is very slow when trying to access the 'Net for the MB apps (it only has a 3G connection ). As long as I can charge my iPhone 5 and listen to my music via BT streaming, I'm OK. I understand that I won't be able to control my music via the steering wheel controls, but until my iPhone 5 can be recognized, by the GLK, via the iPod connection kit, I'll have to depend on BT streaming. I think Apple should get off the schnide and open up the APIs for the lightning connector. After all, Steve Jobs' favorite car was a Mercedes - Apple should really be working closer together with them.
My gripe is more directed towards the size/resolution of the display as well as the somewhat unintuitive control of the Command system (lack of touch screen operation and menu structure). My previous Mazda CX-5 had a similar size screen but was easier to use in that regard. For a 40K car I think they can/should improve on that.

Granted I didn't go for the Multimedia package because I didn't feel like spending another $2800 on merely the rearview camera (all other features I didn't really care for). And that would give you a slightly bigger (7" vs 5") display but no better control. But if all you care about is BT streaming then you will be fine with the way it is.

Another minor gripe would be the plastic door pins. They really look cheap in an otherwise very luxurious cabin. I'd definitely recommend paying the $40 for the AMG ones (if you could find one equipped, not sure if they are retrofit-able).

True, if would be nice if stuff like heated seats, push-button start, and rearview camera can be made standard on a car like this. I guess their justification would be that none of their direct competitors are offering such equipment for free....But at least BMW allows you to select most of the popular features a la cart vs. bundling them in expensive packages.

Good luck with your purchase!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:17 PM

I should mention that the GLK250 comes with runflat tires because part of the trunk is being used to house the 7.2 gallon diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) tank required. Now I have not driven the GLK350 for ride quality comparison but I find it to be more than acceptable the way it is. The firmness level is just right and it handles road bumps/imperfections like a dream (but I personally tend to prefer a somewhat stiffer ride so your opinion may differ).
Old 08-08-2013, 01:24 AM

My gripe is more directed towards the size/resolution of the display as well as the somewhat unintuitive control of the Command system (lack of touch screen operation and menu structure). My previous Mazda CX-5 had a similar size screen but was easier to use in that regard. For a 40K car I think they can/should improve on that.

Granted I didn't go for the Multimedia package because I didn't feel like spending another $2800 on merely the rearview camera (all other features I didn't really care for). And that would give you a slightly bigger (7" vs 5") display but no better control. But if all you care about is BT streaming then you will be fine with the way it is.

Another minor gripe would be the plastic door pins. They really look cheap in an otherwise very luxurious cabin. I'd definitely recommend paying the $40 for the AMG ones (if you could find one equipped, not sure if they are retrofit-able).

True, if would be nice if stuff like heated seats, push-button start, and rearview camera can be made standard on a car like this. I guess their justification would be that none of their direct competitors are offering such equipment for free....But at least BMW allows you to select most of the popular features a la cart vs. bundling them in expensive packages.

Good luck with your purchase!
Ok, I understand where you're coming from now. My coworker also has the 5" screen, but he bought CPO and that's what was in his GLK. I have also heard about the difficulty with the spread out controls (on the steering wheel, or the COMAND scroll wheel, or the central console), but that is just something with which I'll have to get accustomed.

I also noticed the door pins. In my RX, they're located just above the lever you pull to open the door. I've noticed these same door lock pins in Mercedes and BMW vehicles for a while, but the AMG door lock pins, from what I've read, sit flush with the rest of the door when the lock is engaged. They apparently don't dig into your arm like the standard pins.

I also agree with your desire to see more a la carte options purchasing. I've posted before that one of the things I most appreciated from the Saturn dealership is that everything was a la carte. In other words, they didn't negotiate, but simply gave you a sheet of paper with the prices and you added all of the options you wanted. I don't think I would use anything from the multimedia package besides the voice control and rear view camera, especially considering we don't have XM satellite radio in Hawaii

Still, I can fully deck out a GLK (on the mbusa.com website) for less than the MSRP of the 2014 ML 350s listed my local Mercedes dealer's website. I think that may be enough to convince my wife that the GLK may, indeed, be the better choice
Old 08-08-2013, 01:30 AM

I should mention that the GLK250 comes with runflat tires because part of the trunk is being used to house the 7.2 gallon diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) tank required. Now I have not driven the GLK350 for ride quality comparison but I find it to be more than acceptable the way it is. The firmness level is just right and it handles road bumps/imperfections like a dream (but I personally tend to prefer a somewhat stiffer ride so your opinion may differ).
Thanks for that information. I wasn't not aware of the RFT on the GLK 250. I've also heard that diesel has a specific smell, and some people have mentioned using gloves to avoid getting that smell on their hands. I'll have to do more research on diesel before I make a decision between the 250 and the 350. I've also heard that the ride quality for the 350 is very nice indeed. I can't wait until I can get my wife to the lot to take a test drive.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:52 AM

GLK350, G55, AMG GTS, C63 507
1- ITS A BENZ.
2- I love how it looks, it is the best looking SUV in its category.
3- It is quite unique here, i dont see it often.
4- Price wise it is affordable and i can add the options i want without compromising anything.
5- Size wise it is perfect not too big not too small just right.
6- The drive is very comfortable and drives nice such a great daily driver.

I could go on.. Good luck with your choice, you such put the GLK on the top of your list!

The E350 is also good as well as the ML but my GLK would be my pick because of size/SUV/price.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:30 AM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by mike-nc
You really should consider the diesel, as I get 36-38mpg on a regular basis. This more than compensates for the price premium. (My premium is only about 20 cents over premium unleaded.)
In my area, diesel fuel is actually cheaper than premium gas. Diesel is within pennies of mid-grade gas while premium is at least twenty cents (sometimes thirty cents) more than mid-grade. So here, at least, the 250 itself is cheaper compared to the 350 4Matic, the fuel is cheaper per gallon, and you get more miles out of each gallon. That makes it a no-brainer for me.

The infotainment system in the MB is sub par but not a deal breaker.
I don't know that I'd say "sub-par" but I get what you mean. BMW's iDrive and Audi's MMI feel more... advanced, I'll say. They definitely look more advanced and I like Audi's use of Google. However, I personally find them more difficult to use than COMAND, especially while driving. I also find it maddening that Audi's interface is "backwards," requiring that you turn the control knob left to move down a list instead of turning it right.

I've also heard that diesel has a specific smell, and some people have mentioned using gloves to avoid getting that smell on their hands.
They do smell different. Also, gasoline evaporates relatively quickly. Diesel fuel is very oily and evaporates much slower. So, if gasoline gets on the pump handle, it doesn't take long for it to evaporate. If diesel fuel gets on the pump handle, it will stay there longer with a higher chance of it being there when you grab the handle to fill up your diesel car. Once it transfers from the handle to your hand, then it evaporates from your skin much slower too and all the while your hand stinks. That's why people mention gloves. Gas stations often have plastic diesel mitts available on the pump islands, or you could grab some paper towels normally used for windows instead. Some diesel owners carry gloves in their car.

I don't want to scare you away from diesel due to the pumps. It's just something to know. You might even find big differences between different gas stations regarding how dirty the pump handles are.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by N91K
1- ITS A BENZ.
2- I love how it looks, it is the best looking SUV in its category.
3- It is quite unique here, i dont see it often.
4- Price wise it is affordable and i can add the options i want without compromising anything.
5- Size wise it is perfect not too big not too small just right.
6- The drive is very comfortable and drives nice such a great daily driver.

I could go on.. Good luck with your choice, you such put the GLK on the top of your list!

The E350 is also good as well as the ML but my GLK would be my pick because of size/SUV/price.
N91K, I agree with all of your statements, but most especially with #1 All of them make sense, and #4 is most likely why I'll lobby my wife to get the GLK. This will be a joint decision, and I would rather she not grudgingly go along with what I want, but actually come to the same decision herself.

As I've posted before, I've wanted a Mercedes since I was around eight years old, and now will finally purchase one. I really should have pulled the trigger six years ago, but I went with the Lexus because of the price. While the RX 350 is a really nice SUV, I still regret not getting the ML then (that was in December 2007 - I would've gotten the GLK if it had been out then). Oh well, at least I'm going to getting one now

Oh, and thank you very much for your response. These responses, along with the thread about the three things you don't like about your GLK, are extremely helpful to me with respect to choosing which of the three vehicles I have targeted.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by balticgreen
They do smell different. Also, gasoline evaporates relatively quickly. Diesel fuel is very oily and evaporates much slower. So, if gasoline gets on the pump handle, it doesn't take long for it to evaporate. If diesel fuel gets on the pump handle, it will stay there longer with a higher chance of it being there when you grab the handle to fill up your diesel car. Once it transfers from the handle to your hand, then it evaporates from your skin much slower too and all the while your hand stinks. That's why people mention gloves. Gas stations often have plastic diesel mitts available on the pump islands, or you could grab some paper towels normally used for windows instead. Some diesel owners carry gloves in their car.

I don't want to scare you away from diesel due to the pumps. It's just something to know. You might even find big differences between different gas stations regarding how dirty the pump handles are.
balticgreen, I have considered diesel, but even though the military bases here (I'm retired Navy, so I only buy gas on the base - premium on the base is cheaper than the mid-grade off base) sell diesel, it's still relatively hard to find the diesel pump. It's normally off by itself somewhere, and not all of the shopettes have a diesel pump - it's primarily at the larger gas stations on base.

Thanks for your explanation about the evaporation rate of diesel. Now I know why gloves are always suggested (and knowing is half the battle, Go Joe! ) I agree that different gas stations have different levels of "sanitation." I've seen pumps that would make you want to wear a bio-hazard suit before using
Old 08-09-2013, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK 350 2013
For me, I needed gas mileage ... I drive at least 200 miles per day just to get to work so a diesel was needed. 4x4 or AWD is needed as winters here leads to some interesting conditions. Diesel here is 10-15¢ less than premium and I can find it in 75% of the service stations.

I looked around, didn't need a pick-up truck any more as the company has a motor pool. Spec'd out some possibilities and am very happy with my GLK 250.

The handling is fine for the winding regional highway I drive on and the comfort suits me fine. I'm only 5'8" and my girlfiend is only 4'11", no kids so the limited cargo and rear leg room isn't a problem.

I also guide for atlantic salmon so the roof rails and trailer Hitch were a must (trailer and drift boat come in at less than 1500 lbs)

Deal maker was the styling. ... I just couldn't see myself in a Rolling Jelly bean even if I could have found a diesel model.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:34 PM

Just ordered 2014 glk
Smile Just took European delivery of 2014 350 GLK

My family and I traveled to Germany and took the factory tour of M B and picked up my 2014 Palladium Silver GLK. The people at Mercedes were wonderful. They gave us a voucher for a cab to take us to a 5 star hotel that they paid for and then another voucher for a cab to take delivery of the car. We drove the car for 15 days in Europe with ins. provided by Mercedes. The car was great and I can't wait for it to arrive in the U. S.. We drove all around Europe (7 countries) and the navigation system never failed us.

I got the Ash MB-Tex/Black interior with Black Ash wood trim.
Premium 1 Package
Multimedia Package
Parktronic with advanced parking assist
Interior Ambient Lighting Package
Bi-xenon headlights w/active curve illumination, adaptive highbeam assist
Appearance Package
harmon/kardon Surround Sound System
heated front seats
Keyless-Go
Lane Keeping Package
Black Forest Alps Rally Package
I love the car and I think European delivery was a lot of fun. The car handled like a dream and we hit speeds of 115 mph with no problem. We did the Black Forest Rally package (5 days) and all of the hotels that Mercedes booked for us were five star. I will do European delivery again. I got an email from M B this morning saying that my car is already on a ship heading for home.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:36 AM

dboyd767, that sounds like a really nice car there! I used the configurator and built almost exactly the same car - I really like those color choices. Your trip sounds amazing as well. Congrats and good luck with your new GLK!
Old 08-18-2013, 10:00 PM

E350, 2013 GLK 250
Hello..first post on here. My husband and I just purchased a 2013 250. I was "dug in", no, no, no on the diesel until I started following the forum and reading posts and getting a little more educated. What really stood out for me was that the 250 had standard AWD, which was not pointed out to me by the salesman. Thank you forum for that! I drove the BMW again, drove the 2014 MLK 350, more room in the rear of the X3, but the ride and "heaviness" of the MB had me at hello.

I don't want a big SUV! I've had horses and big quad-cab duallies and for my "go to" transportation, the GLK really seemed to fit. I was able to drive the 350 and 250 back to back a few times and compare torque vs. hp, and the 250 won it for me. I liked the Appearance Package 5 spoke wheels, and they seemed (and are) easy to keep clean. The particular style I favored is only on the 250. I am also kind of tired of the ovalesque style that is prevalent in some of the SUVs, and preferred the more Land Rover-ish lines on the MLK. I just didn't like the way the ML looks? Hope to not offend anyone, kind of soccer mom-ish to me? If you frequently had taller back seat passengers (which I don't) for long trips I might would choose something else.

First long trip to Houston from NW Florida we averaged 37-38 mpg and we are just at about about 1,200 miles on the odo. Very nimble, great acceleration and handling and I am more than pleased. I didn't really expect this sort of mpg, especially before more "break-in". Thus far, no complaints. Husband is 6' and very comfortable. Hope that is of some help for those shopping. As of 8/16/2013 we ran into some diesel prices as low as $3.59 in some of the I-10 stops along the way.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why did you buy your GLK?