GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2013 GLK 250 BlueTec doesn't have hold function

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Mercedes-Benz GLK 250 BlueTec
2013 GLK 250 BlueTec doesn't have hold function

I took delivery of my 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec in July, then I put two small blind spot mirror on both side mirror right away because I already got used to them and rely on them to check blind spot. However, I found my GLK never has a Hold function and never has arrows beside the blue P icon so can't use park assist function. Does anyone have the same issue?

Other than this, I am pretty happy with this GLK. It has been driven just over 6000km.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK 350 2013
Hmmm, ... Hold function and hillstart assist are supposed to be standard.

Mine came with it. (2013 GLK 250 ... took delivery in July this year).

I believe Parktronic with active parking assist only comes in the Premium package, which I also got (without the sunroof).

You have to give the brake pedal a pretty solid push once you're stopped for the Hold function to kick in. I thought it was a bit gimmicky when they showed it to me, but now I'm using it more and more.

Last edited by fcch; 10-22-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:41 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
You need to be on a pretty good hill angled upward for it to work also, at least on my 2010
Old 10-22-2013, 06:28 PM

SLK 350 2013
Originally Posted by bop11
You need to be on a pretty good hill angled upward for it to work also, at least on my 2010
Agree. I have one traffic light near the house .... when I'm stopped there, it feels like the blood in my legs wants to drain back up to my hip .

It's a short hilll coming up off a rail crossing.
I didn't even know there was a hill start assist until I pulled away from that light one morning.
The following users liked this post:
100Pyatt (03-01-2024)
Old 10-22-2013, 06:43 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by onmywayreic
never has arrows beside the blue P icon so can't use park assist function. Does anyone have the same issue?
You'll only see arrows when the car detects a space big enough for it. If it's never displaying arrows even when there are spaces large enough, there might be something wrong with the sensors or some other part of the system such that it's not detecting suitable spaces.

Originally Posted by fcch
I believe Parktronic with active parking assist only comes in the Premium package, which I also got (without the sunroof).
That depends on the country. The OP doesn't have a location listed so I don't know where he/she is. In Canada, Parktronic is in the Premium Package but in the USA, Parktronic is either standalone or part of the Parking Assist Package (new for 2014). I can't speak for other countries.

Here's a video for the HOLD function.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
On the early ones like my 2010, there is no indicator on the dash but you can feel it because the car doesn't roll back when you move your foot. I think there is a time on it also like 10 seconds. It was only to keep the car from rolling back when moving your foot to the gas, not a long time rest period.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:23 PM

I live in Ontario so my GLK is a Canadian version. Mine has premium package and AMG sports package. I did notice the hill assist was working which can hold the car for a second, but that is not HOLD function. I am going to take it to the dealer to check. The Parktronic has never worked but it doesn't bother me at all.

One little thing bother me everyday is the Auto climate control, push the Auto button, then A/C lights comes on, even when temperature is low like 4 degree, A/C still gets on automatically. so I have to turn A/C off manually each time.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:19 PM

GLK250 BT
I took delivery of my 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec in July, then I put two small blind spot mirror on both side mirror right away because I already got used to them and rely on them to check blind spot. However, I found my GLK never has a Hold function and never has arrows beside the blue P icon so can't use park assist function. Does anyone have the same issue?

Other than this, I am pretty happy with this GLK. It has been driven just over 6000km.
If you see the P then likely you have the park assist. The left hand one only works if you have the left turn indicator on. I find that you need to be close to the cars for it to work on the passenger side.

You may have to press hard for a second or two for the hold to work. It does work on the flat in my GLK.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:50 PM

2013 GLK250BT
AC Mode

I live in Ontario so my GLK is a Canadian version. Mine has premium package and AMG sports package. I did notice the hill assist was working which can hold the car for a second, but that is not HOLD function. I am going to take it to the dealer to check. The Parktronic has never worked but it doesn't bother me at all.

One little thing bother me everyday is the Auto climate control, push the Auto button, then A/C lights comes on, even when temperature is low like 4 degree, A/C still gets on automatically. so I have to turn A/C off manually each time.
Regarding the AC button, I always activate mine manually when it is needed, otherwise I leave the compressor off. This will help prevent the stagnanat smell from the HVAC system from forming. (Yes, replacing the cabin filter can remove it, after it's there.) I'm mold sensitive, so every little thing I can do the prevent any mold is worthwhile for me. Even when using the compressor, I switch it off several miles before parking for the day to let the warm air dry the vents from condensation and/or prevent damp conditions for mold to form.

It may or may not help fuel economy, but that's not my main motivation for taking these extra steps.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:23 PM

2010 BMW 335d, 2013 GLK250
Thanks for mentioning the hold function. I was extremely happy when it worked last night since I never even knew such thing existed on our cars. Now I've been using it quite consistently on those long traffic lights. For those who are having trouble activating the function, I found that you do need to shove the pedal quite hard for it to kick in. You'll need to step on it hard and quick once you've come to a complete stop. Slow application won't do anything.

I found the parking assist to kick in quite reliably if you follow the procedure carefully. You can't just storm past a parking spot and expect it to look for an available spot. What I found best is to approach the spot under 20km/h and stop once you're inline with the car in front of the spot you're trying to get in to. The P icon should've already been on when you're approaching and the arrow should appear once you're stopped next to the car in front of the spot. Once you see the arrow beside the P icon you can put the car in reverse and hit Ok.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:33 PM

I finally got Hold function worked!!! I found the car has to be on a up hill condition, I felt the hill assist worked first, then applied brake a few more time and saw HOLD on dash screen.

For parking assist, still no luck, but will try more just for fun, I don't need it anyway.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:32 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
For parking assist, still no luck, but will try more just for fun, I don't need it anyway.
I wouldn't let it go just because you don't need it. Your car is still under warranty, right? There could very well be something wrong with the sensors and if there is, you should get it fixed while the car is still under warranty. Don't wait until years later when you want to sell the car but your warranty already expired.

So, if you're fairly certain that you're attempting to use it correctly, take it in for service and have them check it out. If you're not sure if you're using it correctly, go in and talk to your salesperson. If he/she cares anything at all about customer service, he/she will be happy to demonstrate the Parktronic for you. (I'm surprised that wasn't done at delivery.) If he/she doesn't get it to work either then something is wrong and you know to schedule that service appointment.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:40 PM

Rental car

The A/C function will not cool the car below the temp you set. It will remove excess humidity from your car to reduce fogging.
The following users liked this post:
100Pyatt (03-01-2024)
Old 01-31-2014, 04:45 PM

09 E350 W4M
I finally got Hold function worked!!! I found the car has to be on a up hill condition, I felt the hill assist worked first, then applied brake a few more time and saw HOLD on dash screen.

HOLD doesn't need a gradient to work. This is separate from the Hill Start Assist, although both are part of the same feature through a special ABS module.

To get HOLD working you have to give the brake pedal a firm push all the way back. Once activated the HOLD icon illuminates on the center instrument cluster display.

To release either just gently touch the brakes or press the gas pedal.

I also think you're a bit confused regarding PARKTRONIC and ACTIVE PARK ASSIST.

The Blue "P" in the dash is the indicator for the ACTIVE PARK ASSIST. It has a set of pre-requisites before it is activated and detects parking spots etc. and can perform the steering during the parking maneuver.

PARKTRONIC on the other hand has been around in Merc. cars starting with the S and E for over 15 years and consists of ultrasonic sensors on the front and the rear bumpers that warn you as you approach obstacles in slower speeds.

There are two of these in the car, one on top of the dash in the front and another in the rear headliner in view of the rear view mirror. If you pay attention, the two interior most "segments" light up whenever the system comes on automatically or when you first turn on the car.

If Parktronic isn't working you usually get a warning and the red segments stay on in the display and you should have it checked out by the dealer but I think you just meant to say you haven't got the Active Park Assist to work not Parktronic actually.