GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Installed backup camera but it doesn't move the trajectory lines.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350 2010
Installed backup camera but it doesn't move the trajectory lines.

Hi guys,

I have read a lot at the forum about how to install back up camera for GLK and finally did it.
I connected power to the lighter and RCA video to COMMAND but the trajectory lines are not moving when I turn the steering wheel. Howdo I fix that?
Old 02-03-2014, 05:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK
Is this the original camera?

Because I have the same issue. I believe in my case its either an aftermarket product or something very basic.

If the lines aren't moving its not an error but I believe it to be normal - thats how the specific product you have was integrated.

Only reason I can think of (about) it not working (if it is original and intended to be dynamic as the car book suggests) than it has to do with lack of communication from either the wheel or a central command of some sort.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:25 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
If you have turned off the lines produced by the GLK and using the camera generated lines. They won't move. I am not sure the original GLK lines ever moved. DOn't wory about it, mine haven't moved for 4 years and I haven't hit anything.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:13 AM

GLK
Originally Posted by bop11
If you have turned off the lines produced by the GLK and using the camera generated lines. They won't move. I am not sure the original GLK lines ever moved. DOn't wory about it, mine haven't moved for 4 years and I haven't hit anything.
I think they move. When I checked the car manual they discuss this as if they move - and I think its an addon option (as if you have to custom-order it).

However, I didn't quite figure what he installed. Those lines are either logically "Fixed" on the camera image (from the camera sensor itself) or generated within the multimedia system.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:36 PM

350 GLK, C280
If the camera generates the lines, then they probably turned off the MB generated lines through the engineering menus. It is very confusing to have two sets of lines and since yu can't turn off the camera's lines, they probably turned off the MB generated lines
Old 02-03-2014, 05:31 PM

GLK 350
Backup camera on my 2010 GLK do not move.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350 2010
yes, it is a ebay-like camera, not original one. I installed it myself. The lines are stand frozen and don't move. Who generates those lines? COMMAND or Camera? If it is the Camera then there must be a way how to pass Steering wheel position to the camera. Who do I do that?
Old 02-03-2014, 08:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GLA250 4MATIC
I would assume that MB would not include extras, like steering wheel position, in your car if you didn't get a backup camera factory installed. Older MBs had the lines frozen.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:27 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
Originally Posted by glkwalker
yes, it is a ebay-like camera, not original one. I installed it myself. The lines are stand frozen and don't move. Who generates those lines? COMMAND or Camera? If it is the Camera then there must be a way how to pass Steering wheel position to the camera. Who do I do that?
Normally the aftermarket cameras, like the ones from ebay, do have the lines built-in so you can't really disable it.
The last time I check, I could not find one without the lines from ebay.
I have have also check the backup lines from engineering menu and they do not move as well, so I end up disable it leaving the lines from cameras itself only.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:28 AM

GLK
I agree with the above comments. I think those lines aer graphically fixed (especially in after market products!)

By the way, how did you guys check the engineering menus for the lines? from the main wheel console? (SETTINGS?).

Additionally, to the guy who installed the camera, can you link me to a manual you used? Where did you plug the RCA video cable? (Trying to locate where the sockets are ).
Old 02-04-2014, 10:27 AM

350 GLK, C280
search this web for 'backup camera part1
Old 02-05-2014, 01:03 PM

GLK
Thanks, heres the link if someone future-reads this message: https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...era-part1.html

Anyways, I got into engineering mode in my car. Looks way different than what the post shows. Also, the entire dashboard in 2014 has changed (think it was changed back in 2012) - so the tutorial won't do anymore.

As far as I noticed, if I read between the lines of the tutorial, than the dashboard cosmetic changes made the entire disassembly operation even harder.

Now I guess my glk firmware is different, so I see less options (nothing regarding rear camera). This may mean my camera was installed with an aftermarket that is not supported or recognized but also - may have been connected to the main console with RCA-sort of cabling (and not a propriety data cable)