GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

New GLK 250 Owner Pissed !!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK 250 BT
New GLK 250 Owner Pissed !!

I purchased a new 2014 GLK 250 Jan 17th. Well just a few short weeks later some inattentive driver rear ends me while I was stopped, An ambulance was trying to get thru traffic. Almost everyone else was stopped. She did $2300 So far in damage, I have an aftermarket trailer hitch, it looks bent and the DEF cover is cracked.and there is a big hole in the bumper cover.

The car had 3900 miles when the accident occurred, so it is still very new. My question is should I ask for a new vehicle? The car does not really drive the same.I trade cars about every 3 yrs. so now it will have a wreck on the vehicle history.

I went to the Emergency room and nothing was broken on me, but I have the most severe headaches I think I have ever had. Started physical therapy this week and will probably have to go for another 6-7 weeks.

Thanks, Mike
Old 03-07-2014, 11:50 PM

GLK
Originally Posted by R1200mike
I purchased a new 2014 GLK 250 Jan 17th. Well just a few short weeks later some inattentive driver rear ends me while I was stopped, An ambulance was trying to get thru traffic. Almost everyone else was stopped. She did $2300 So far in damage, I have an aftermarket trailer hitch, it looks bent and the DEF cover is cracked.and there is a big hole in the bumper cover.

The car had 3900 miles when the accident occurred, so it is still very new. My question is should I ask for a new vehicle? The car does not really drive the same.I trade cars about every 3 yrs. so now it will have a wreck on the vehicle history.

I went to the Emergency room and nothing was broken on me, but I have the most severe headaches I think I have ever had. Started physical therapy this week and will probably have to go for another 6-7 weeks.

Thanks, Mike
Sorry about the accident.

Since she rear-ended you, you should be covered 100% and you shouldn't have to pay a dime out of your pocket for the repairs. You would not be able to ask for a new vehicle whether you had 100 miles or 100,000 miles on it. The car is now yours.

You could try to go off-record in which she'll pay for your damages without reporting anything to the insurance company, but there needs to be a mutual trust.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 glk 250BT (RIP, 3/1/17}, 2010 C300
if there was bodily injury involved the insurance company already knows of the accident. Unfortunately since the damage does not exceed more than 70% of the vehicles worth the insurance company will not replace the car. I know this from experience.

The only way they will total the car is if you can demonstrate that the loss percentage and subsequent repairs make the car unsaleable as a used car as you cannot get the full value of it if you try to resell. The vehicle history report on Carfax will show the repairs if you take it to a shop.

BTW I would not use anyone who does not regularly work on Mercedes or who would try to use non OEM parts. Be very careful with your insurance company's policy on parts.

Last edited by LesF; 03-08-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:16 PM

2014 CLA 45 AMG; 2012 GLK 350 4MATIC (totaled); 2009 VW GTI (sold)
I can offer some insight here.

In May 2013 my 2012 GLK was rear ended at 80 km/hr, it had only 33,000 km on it. At first insurance estimated damages at $30,000 CDN and still NOT a write off! I was hurt in the accident too with neck issues. However once it was discovered that the frame on the GLK was bent, vehicle was instantly written off and insurance issued me a cheque for a brand new one! I have since turned that into a 2014 CLA45 AMG so it worked out in the end

Long story short, it will take more than $2300 damage to get a new one.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:31 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
I would like to add that Mercedes uses a special clear coat on the paint called Cerami-Clear by PPG, though others make it too. If they use regular clear coat it is softer and it will be hard to polish and wax with a consistent appearance.
In hindsight, I wish they didn't use it because the hard "fumed silica" is only in the top 20 microns and can be polished out if not careful. Unless the whole car is being clear coated you are stuck with it.
When I had a bumper repainted the shop said, "Don't worry, we offer a lifetime warranty on the clear coat." I explained that this wasn't the point. I need a car I can consistently polish and wax and since the rest of the car has Cerami Clear I need to stick with it.
I gave them a product sheet for PPG Deltron 8150 which meets California Low VOC requirements - if that's an issue for you. My shop ordered it and applied it though I had to insist. You might want to do the same.
I looked at the PPG website and they list 4 or 5 different Cerami Clear products. I can't tell which is for which. Maybe someone on the site is smart about this stuff and can educate us. I think this is a 2K hardness product.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:20 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014

Thanks, Mike
Mike,
Check your policy. Some have Total Loss coverage. This provides 100% replacement during first 12 or 18 months. I have that with State Farm in Canada. But I don't know how badly damaged the car must be before that kicks in. I need to read the fine print!
Old 03-08-2014, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Mr Hawkins - the current "major" supplier of production paint is BASF/Galsurit - and the newer technology in place internally is general term "nano-clearcoat" which offers "similar-to-ceramic". PPG does not currently supply production Mercedes paint to my knowledge and has not for 5-6 years. For collision repair work Mercedes Certified Collision Centers by and large choose the Glasurit "systems"., although in non-metallics colors there are other BASF products not specifically branded Glasurit that are used widely as well. Please note that the clearcoat, and clearcoat process on metallic paint is somewhat different than the clearcoat process on non-metallics.

On the OP's original question - a Mercedes Certified Collision Center is ALWAYS the best choice for collision repair work - and under the terms of Mercedes Roadside Assistance if your vehicle cannot be driven/safely then Roadisde will provide free towing to the nearest MBCCC even if 100's of miles away - and safety issues can include cracked headlight/tail light lenses.

Any insured/repaired accident will recuce future resale/trade-value - and recovery of that "dimished value" component is not required/mandated in most states - but should ALWAYS be ascertained and attempt to recover in every accident claim.

Keep the beat !
Old 03-10-2014, 03:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 E63 AMG
Sorry about your accident. I had 2010 E550 4Matic, rear ended at about 45 mph when I was standing still. About 10k+ damage, all repaired by MB certified body shop. Got about $2k for deminished value. I still took a bath when I traded it in. Wish I leased it. I am now leasing 2014 GLK 350, learned my lesson. With hand held devices, a lot more of these attended accidents are bound to happen.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 143 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
You won't get a new car with that damage. My GLK also have the replacement plan. Your car must be written-off first by your insurance before the replacement plan kicks-in. I also got rear ended on my GLK when it is just 6 months old and cost +$4000 repairs and a bad back. A girly driving a Audi who is texting is the blame.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 glk 250 bluetech
My 2014 GLK got rear ended causing about $5000 damage in Bumper & sensors. The Insurance company got it repaired according to MB standards by MB approved Body Shop. I got two quotes from two different dealers asking the trade in Value for GLK. One quote with the repaired GLK and the other quote with no repairs/Damage History. I spent $100 & filed a civil suite to claim the difference in depreciation of Value ($5000) to the other Guy. Why do I have to pay down the road for some other idiot's mistake.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 glk 250BT (RIP, 3/1/17}, 2010 C300
When my wife's c230 kompressor was heavily damaged in a rear end collision the insurance company wanted to fix the car but I told them that I would lose 5k if I tried to resell the car based on the accident. They fought me tooth and nail. Since the damage was significant 65-70 percent of the cars value, I demanded they total the car. When I told them the next time they spoke with me it would be my lawyer they totaled the car for it's value which included the potential 5k loss.

Your problem is proving the damage will effect the future value. Unfortunately these days 5k is not a lot of damage. Unless you suffered major uni-body damage you are I think between a rock and a hard place in trying to recover the potential loss.

Good luck.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:48 PM

2013 GLK350 4-Matic & 2003 E320
Sidhusgrttoy, did you win the lawsuit?
Old 03-22-2014, 03:35 PM

2014 glk 250 bluetech
Originally Posted by GLK350AMG
Sidhusgrttoy, did you win the lawsuit?
Yes. The other guy settled before going on the trial.I waived my filing fees of $100.00 for him. But I went all prepared with documents at the pre trial mediation.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:42 AM

2011 B-Class 200 Turbo
Unless the car is flattened, the car is repairable. Crash tests are too good!
Old 03-31-2014, 11:05 PM

2014 GLK 250 BT
GLK

Hey everyone, Sorry for the delay but work has been hectic.
An update, the car was repaired at an authorized MB repair shop and they did a fantastic job. The ins. co (Geico) is fighting me on the Diminished value, they offered me $450 this AM. The accident occurred in Ga. which has a Diminished value law or something. I contacted a company which specializes in Diminished value. They are going to write up a report for me to give to the Ins co. No guarantee I will get more but I think it is worth a shot.
I have been going to physical therapy for the injury I sustained in the accident, we will see how everything comes out in a few weeks/months.
On the other hand, I love the GLK, so far on the hi way I am getting 40+ MPG. Thanks for all the replies/info. Mike
Old 04-01-2014, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Geico sucks.

Last year Geico Insurance Co. donated $20,000,000 ( twenty million dollars ) to police departments in the form of new laser and radar guns. Other insurance companies donated large amounts as well.

and other sources.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:31 AM

2014 Glk250 BlueTec
Hey everyone, Sorry for the delay but work has been hectic.
An update, the car was repaired at an authorized MB repair shop and they did a fantastic job. The ins. co (Geico) is fighting me on the Diminished value, they offered me $450 this AM. The accident occurred in Ga. which has a Diminished value law or something. I contacted a company which specializes in Diminished value. They are going to write up a report for me to give to the Ins co. No guarantee I will get more but I think it is worth a shot.
I have been going to physical therapy for the injury I sustained in the accident, we will see how everything comes out in a few weeks/months.
On the other hand, I love the GLK, so far on the hi way I am getting 40+ MPG. Thanks for all the replies/info. Mike

I too am waiting to hear from Geico for a diminished value claim. I traded in my Audi for a new GLK250 and was given $3000 less for my trade due to an accident. A woman hit my parked car and put $6000 worth of damage to my car. The Carfax has it listed as an accident that happened without me being in the car. Luckily, NJ has laws to get back the diminished value amount if the accident wasn't your fault.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:56 PM

'14 GLK250
I'm glad to hear of other folks pursuing diminished value claims. I'm in the same boat...

I was rear-ended on the interstate in my previous car (a Subaru). $10k in damage, independent appraiser came back with $4550 in diminished value. Insurance company countered with 1/3 that amount and I haven't heard from them since. We're headed to small claims court it would appear.