GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

What's missing in your GLK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK250-BT
What's missing in your GLK?

I'm generally content with my decision to purchase the 2013 GLK 250. The size is perfect for my needs and it fits in the garage with room to spare. I'm also pleased with the power, torque and fuel economy.

About the only few things lacking from perspective that would make it the perfect vehicle for MY needs would be the following:

1. Two speed (low range) transfer case
2. Rear locking differential
3. Air suspension

I need to go off the beaten path in the winter and tow often enough that it would be nice to have these features. I would be willing to pay a premium to have these features in a small SUV.

I cross-shopped many other brands like the VW Touareg, and Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco-diesel but "settled" on the GLK. The VW and GC were just too large for my needs and the VW doesn't offer a low range transfer case otherwise it would have been a tough choice. Both also have V6 diesels which are nowhere near as fuel efficient as the GLK.

I realize that I represent a very small market segment that would want these options but it's a shame to have to "settle". At least in Europe you get the choice of many more configurations and options.

One can only wish.

Last edited by symphony; 04-06-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK 250 BlueTEC
For me, its a few differences between US/Canada versions and 2012+/2014 models.

I was looking forward to Disctronic. Instead it has not been offered in any 2014 250 BlueTECs. At the dealership i was told they had software issues which does no explain why it is my problem.

All the internet services are only available to US, like the dealer website or weather... Not that i would use it, but it blows reading about something in the manual and not having it. Also a lot of the on screen features (split screen, fuel economy graphs, seat adjustments). Once again, not necessary but i would prefer to have all of that useless garbage.

The windshield wipers are terrible. I expected more.

Turbo lag is brutal from a stop. But hey, i could've bought c63 for another 10k... So the demand of no turbo lag might be unreasonable.

OEM all weather mats and cargo mat are fine, but could have been a better fit in my opinion. With the mats, its the drivers foot rest that was avoided by all weather mat. And the cargo mat is just a random fit lol. Looks like its for GLK250 but also feels like it came off something else.

And another problem that i ran into is that Vossen has not put any 22s on GLKs. Despite the guy on these forums having 22" CV-3s on his GLK, the Vossen people recommended not to put 22s until they have tested that fitment for themselves.

Oh, also the choice of Harman Kardon vs Bang Olufsen would have been nice.
And the choice to have black roof liner with any other interior options.
Bigger gas tank would be nice as well. Like 100L would be perfect.

Am i happy with my GLK? Yes i am, but there is always a reason to complain lol.

Last edited by volkvin; 04-06-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fj cruiser 2014 GLK250
Not really sure what to make of this we bought a 2014 GLK250 and it has distronic "Works great". Sure the internet services are not here in canada but I synced with my iphone and have internet. The split screen would have been a nice option though. Never really notice much turbo lag "well not enough to bother me". As for floor mats I ordered weathertech and they are a perfect fit. While the choice for stereo is limited the Harmon Kardon meets our needs. As for a black roofliner all it is is a check in the right box, I've seen them with both grey and Black "ours is grey" and they both look great...

Originally Posted by volkvin
For me, its a few differences between US/Canada versions and 2012+/2014 models.

I was looking forward to Disctronic. Instead it has not been offered in any 2014 250 BlueTECs. At the dealership i was told they had software issues which does no explain why it is my problem.

All the internet services are only available to US, like the dealer website or weather... Not that i would use it, but it blows reading about something in the manual and not having it. Also a lot of the on screen features (split screen, fuel economy graphs, seat adjustments). Once again, not necessary but i would prefer to have all of that useless garbage.

The windshield wipers are terrible. I expected more.

Turbo lag is brutal from a stop. But hey, i could've bought c63 for another 10k... So the demand of no turbo lag might be unreasonable.

OEM all weather mats and cargo mat are fine, but could have been a better fit in my opinion. With the mats, its the drivers foot rest that was avoided by all weather mat. And the cargo mat is just a random fit lol. Looks like its for GLK250 but also feels like it came off something else.

And another problem that i ran into is that Vossen has not put any 22s on GLKs. Despite the guy on these forums having 22" CV-3s on his GLK, the Vossen people recommended not to put 22s until they have tested that fitment for themselves.

Oh, also the choice of Harman Kardon vs Bang Olufsen would have been nice.
And the choice to have black roof liner with any other interior options.
Bigger gas tank would be nice as well. Like 100L would be perfect.

Am i happy with my GLK? Yes i am, but there is always a reason to complain lol.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:41 PM

2014 GLK 250 BlueTEC
Originally Posted by Cwdawson
Not really sure what to make of this we bought a 2014 GLK250 and it has distronic "Works great". Sure the internet services are not here in canada but I synced with my iphone and have internet. The split screen would have been a nice option though. Never really notice much turbo lag "well not enough to bother me". As for floor mats I ordered weathertech and they are a perfect fit. While the choice for stereo is limited the Harmon Kardon meets our needs. As for a black roofliner all it is is a check in the right box, I've seen them with both grey and Black "ours is grey" and they both look great...
Roofliner colors are linked to interior colours. With black leather interior black roofliner is not available, through dealer or through the online canadian configurator.

Same with Distronic, if you follow through canadian dealer, you will not be able to get it. It is not even mentioned on the overview page of the Driver Assistance Technologies:
http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content/...?isflipfocus=1

I only wish i had Distronic...
Old 04-07-2014, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
We still love our 2011.

I have no interest in going off-road so we chose the 2WD and it runs great.

The only thing I wish it had is the xenon lights option; I didn't know about those when I got the car or I would have gotten them...
Old 04-07-2014, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by symphony

About the only few things lacking from perspective that would make it the perfect vehicle for MY needs would be the following:

1. Two speed (low range) transfer case
2. Rear locking differential
3. Air suspension

I need to go off the beaten path in the winter and tow often enough that it would be nice to have these features. I would be willing to pay a premium to have these features in a small SUV.
Why do you need any of the above? The first limiting factor will be the giant wheels with low profile tires (which of course can be swapped out).

1) 1st gear is very short for slow crawling or climbing. Keep in mind that your GLK gets moving in 2nd gear unless in sport mode.
2) Traction control will lock whatever wheel is spinning - not sure what's the benefit of locking dif. noways when the traction control almost fully stops the spinning wheel.
3) So you can replace it every 2-3 years? Those things are extremely unreliable especially on newer cars and very costly to replace.

I wish GLK came with active seats than can be had on E/ML/CLS
Old 04-07-2014, 11:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 GLK350
Oddly enough I don't have a 12v power outlet in the trunk. Space is there for it. Just not there.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4Matic
Originally Posted by mikedr
Oddly enough I don't have a 12v power outlet in the trunk. Space is there for it. Just not there.
That is something you could easily add. Mine got relocated from the driver side to the passenger side when I had a subwoofer installed.

If only mine had the Comand system, hitch, and lighting package...those are the options I wish were on the CPO I bought!
Old 04-08-2014, 10:30 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
NYCGLK is right about #3. Had 2 Rovers with air and the compressors are working all the time. First car compressor lasted about 100k, second one only 53k. Just a gimmick
for most and not really off road.
What you really are lacking, for off road, is Articulation and Suspension Travel. Put a steep ramp in front of one front wheel and see how far up you can drive and still have the rear wheels on the ground. This measures the 'Twist" of the suspension and is need for going over rocks and logs. The Defender I owned had probably the best articulation of any stock vehicle. Won't get it with stock independent front suspension or McPherson struts. Second, for off road you need lots of ground clearance and shield for when you don't have enough. Just installing larger tires ain't gonna' do it. For hard beaches and woodland trails, the GLK is good enough, A lower gear would just get you off road enough where you need a winch or a retriever or one of those dogs with the barrel around its neck..
Old 04-08-2014, 12:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
Most of this stuff is available on the European version, although I threw in a few dream features that are not.
  • Toggle between Eco/Sport/Manual should be on the steering wheel
  • A more configurable display, I'd like to see my digital speed readout + perhaps music info. at the same time (especially if the navigation is on the other screen)
  • Delete model designation (I'll de-badge myself, but would have been great if it came from the factory this way)
  • Adjustable brake pedal, it's way too far forward for me to find a really comfortable seating position under braking
  • Rear heated seats
  • Front seat cooling
  • Summer tires from factory
  • Splitview
  • Three features I would have added if it were my vehicle and not my wifes: panoramic roof, HK Logic 7 & a trailer hitch.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:08 PM

2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
Roofliner colors are linked to interior colours. With black leather interior black roofliner is not available, through dealer or through the online canadian configurator.

Same with Distronic, if you follow through canadian dealer, you will not be able to get it. It is not even mentioned on the overview page of the Driver Assistance Technologies:
http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content/...?isflipfocus=1

I only wish i had Distronic...
Which dealer did you buy from? Distronic for 2014 was on the hidden order sheet at Hyatt. It's the same sheet that shows other non-standard configurations (ie: our 2014 has command nav but it does not have a sunroof).

There are some really cool things available on that list... but they don't show it unless you ask.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:48 PM

2014 GLK350
The unavailability of options in the US that are available in Europe annoys me.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
GLK63 would be nice.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:14 PM

2014 GLK350
Does GLK63 exist in Europe?
Old 04-08-2014, 02:53 PM

2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
Originally Posted by mikedr
Does GLK63 exist in Europe?
Nope, but they do have far more engine choices than we do. They have a V6 diesel that would have been intriguing to me.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:56 PM

2014 GLK350
Sadly, the current generation GLK is at the end of the road basically. I think they're going to announce the new one in January 2015, as a 2016 model for sale late next year?
Old 04-08-2014, 05:12 PM

2014 GLK 250 BlueTEC
Originally Posted by koalatm
Which dealer did you buy from? Distronic for 2014 was on the hidden order sheet at Hyatt. It's the same sheet that shows other non-standard configurations (ie: our 2014 has command nav but it does not have a sunroof).

There are some really cool things available on that list... but they don't show it unless you ask.
Ya, i had no clue about it until afterwards... fml... I bought at lonestar. I asked about distronic, and was given a ****ty asnwer by sales, instead of showing me these option sheets. They probably wanted to move their inventory, but im pissed
Old 04-08-2014, 05:22 PM

2014 glk 250 bluetech
I got it from Lonestar as well. But I picked my options thru Mercedes Canada website(Build your own GLK) & did not know about this option availability. In fact it still does not show under Driver Assistance Package.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
Why do you need any of the above? The first limiting factor will be the giant wheels with low profile tires (which of course can be swapped out).

1) 1st gear is very short for slow crawling or climbing. Keep in mind that your GLK gets moving in 2nd gear unless in sport mode.
2) Traction control will lock whatever wheel is spinning - not sure what's the benefit of locking dif. noways when the traction control almost fully stops the spinning wheel.
3) So you can replace it every 2-3 years? Those things are extremely unreliable especially on newer cars and very costly to replace.

I wish GLK came with active seats than can be had on E/ML/CLS
Not just on newer cars. Are any of you old enough to remember the MB 300 SEL? You could always tell a 300 (as compared to the 280) by the splayed out rear wheels from the failing air suspension.

The 6.3 version was fun, though...
Old 04-08-2014, 06:39 PM

2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
Originally Posted by Sidhusgrttoy
I got it from Lonestar as well. But I picked my options thru Mercedes Canada website(Build your own GLK) & did not know about this option availability. In fact it still does not show under Driver Assistance Package.
Yeah like I said, they don't list this stuff online. I had Hyatt show me their actual internal ordering screen. The advanced driving assistance is still in there, as is the package we did: Premium Package w/o sunroof, $2,100 MSRP rather than $3,600.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:15 PM

2014 GLK 250 BlueTEC
Originally Posted by koalatm
Yeah like I said, they don't list this stuff online. I had Hyatt show me their actual internal ordering screen. The advanced driving assistance is still in there, as is the package we did: Premium Package w/o sunroof, $2,100 MSRP rather than $3,600.
So sad. I couldve had my Distronic and black headliner with black leather and ashwood trim... Brutal.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:19 PM

2016 Golf R, 2014 GLK
So sad. I couldve had my Distronic and black headliner with black leather and ashwood trim... Brutal.
Sorry - if it makes you feel any better they talked us out of the black headliner - we went grey and glad to have done so as the black on black would have been really dark with no sunroof and our front windows being tinted.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 CLS550 4Matic; 2010 E550, 2007 SL550
My GLK is the perfect vehicle for me. After having three Jags, three Jeeps, a C300, and an E350.

I wish it had the seats from a E350. The GLK seats are good, but for long trips, the seats in the E are just better.

Ventilated seats.

Adjustable pedals.

EDIT: One more thing. The fabric retracting liner on the pano roof bounces around and makes a rattling noise if the window is open to any significant degree. I would do something about that.

That's it. I love my GLK.

Last edited by PilotAlan; 04-26-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 glk 250BT (RIP, 3/1/17}, 2010 C300
a chauffeur.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 glk 250BT (RIP, 3/1/17}, 2010 C300
Ya, i had no clue about it until afterwards... fml... I bought at lonestar. I asked about distronic, and was given a ****ty asnwer by sales, instead of showing me these option sheets. They probably wanted to move their inventory, but im pissed

distronic is a special order item with an up-charge of 250. I got it on my 2014.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's missing in your GLK?