GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Added An Auto-Dimming Homelink Mirror to My Base GLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GLK250 Bluetec, 2011 BMW 335d
Added An Auto-Dimming Homelink Mirror to My Base GLK

I just added an auto-dimming Homelink mirror with compass to my base model GLK250 which had a manual dimming mirror. I purchased the mirror from a salvage yard GLK which had these features.

I had seen some W-204 C-class posts regarding this, but nothing GLK specific.

It took all of 15 minutes to install and everything was plug and play. The same connectors were on the new mirror as on the one I took out. It took me longer to figure out the Homelink programming.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
Good information! Always amazes me when the wiring is present for an upgrade like this as I have found this to be true on vehicles from American manufacturers as well as from other countries. Now if I could only find a GLK in a salvage yard with the OEM trailer hitch!
Old 01-19-2015, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Originally Posted by Rascally Wabbit
Good information! Always amazes me when the wiring is present for an upgrade like this as I have found this to be true on vehicles from American manufacturers as well as from other countries. Now if I could only find a GLK in a salvage yard with the OEM trailer hitch!
It's more economical to just put the same wiring harness on all of them than try to pick cars out of an assembly line to be wired for specific options...
Old 01-20-2015, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by rmfnla
It's more economical to just put the same wiring harness on all of them than try to pick cars out of an assembly line to be wired for specific options...
Yes, now I need to figure out what other features I am missing which are already pre-wired......
Old 01-20-2015, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Question Where is the compass mirror display \on my 2014 GLK???

I thought that the 2014 GLK had a built in digital direction (N/S/W/E etc) in the rear view mirror?!

I just noticed that my 2014 with the autodimming home link mirror does NOT have a digital direction display in the mirror!

Did yours have the direction display in your stock version?

OR was this only after you installed the upgraded version you got one with direction display?

Old 01-20-2015, 06:18 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 C8, 2020 defender 110X, 2019 720S, 2014 GLK 350 4matic, 2015 escalade platinum, 2013 RRS HSELux
Originally Posted by rb23lb
I thought that the 2014 GLK had a built in digital direction (N/S/W/E etc) in the rear view mirror?! I just noticed that my 2014 with the autodimming home link mirror does NOT have a digital direction display in the mirror! Did yours have the direction display in your stock version? OR was this only after you installed the upgraded version you got one with direction display?
It has a direction arrow built in but not sure if it's in the mirrors as mine shows the direction in the screen. Probably part of the MM and nav package.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by rb23lb
I thought that the 2014 GLK had a built in digital direction (N/S/W/E etc) in the rear view mirror?!

I just noticed that my 2014 with the autodimming home link mirror does NOT have a digital direction display in the mirror!

Did yours have the direction display in your stock version?

OR was this only after you installed the upgraded version you got one with direction display?

No, my stock mirror did not have the direction display. I gained it when I installed the auto-dimming mirror.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:14 PM

2009 SLK 350
Thank you for this information! I have been looking at the price differences between several 2014 models (all used and CPO - I like the unlimited miles warranty and letting someone else pay the huge 2 year depreciation ). But I was on the fence about a model without the auto-dimming feature but at a great price. The last two cars I had had those features and it was a godsend as I drove a lot at night. When I had to get a rental car and it didn't have it I felt like I was driving like a blinded owl!

Has anyone attempted to add driver side/passenger side auto dimming mirrors? I would greatly appreciate it if anyone knows!
Old 03-01-2015, 03:36 PM

MB GLK 320 CDI -09
I wonder if it would work with the side mirrors as well? does anybody know? are they controlled by the reverse mirror?.. could one even get folding mirrors? i have seen that it is one more plug on the dip mirror..i wonder if i have the wiring for it.. possible..
Old 03-01-2015, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Styxx
Has anyone attempted to add driver side/passenger side auto dimming mirrors? I would greatly appreciate it if anyone knows!
I've been looking into doing the side mirrors as well, but haven't been able to find out if I will need new door controllers or not.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:50 PM

MB GLK 320 CDI -09
I´ve found a pair of mirrors for a 130 bucks think i might go for a long shot and just try..they even have BLIS but doubt it would work, will update in a few weeks when installed
Old 06-19-2015, 09:40 PM

2013 Glk350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Kosterkille
I´ve found a pair of mirrors for a 130 bucks think i might go for a long shot and just try..they even have BLIS but doubt it would work, will update in a few weeks when installed
How'd they end up working out?
Old 06-20-2015, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by cjmoy
No, my stock mirror did not have the direction display. I gained it when I installed the auto-dimming mirror.
I have an autodimming mirror with NO compass!

Did I get a defect? Or do all 2014 GLKS not offer the compass in any of their mirrors?
Old 09-10-2016, 09:36 AM

1985 380 SL, 2007 C230, 2015 GLK 350
Homelink interior mirror

I have a 2015 GLK, recently purchased used, with standard interior rearview mirror. I got a Homelink mirror from ebay LKQ from a 2011 C class 'crash car' (I don't know about the compass, but my car has it in the instrument cluster) and I'm in the process of replacing the mirror. I read about having to have the MB dealer program the dimming feature. I went to a local dealer and he would only program if he installed. After he found out it was 'used' he then declined to do anything saying the garage door opener and dimming feature wouldn't work as it was from a different car. I'm not sure if he knows what he's saying as, I think, the garage door transmitter is in the mirror itself and there are instructions in the owner's manual to program that (I have a 2007 C class purchased used with Homelink and I programed that for my door).

My questions to the forum are:
1) How do you remove the mirror?
2) Member CJMOY; You mentioned you programmed the Homelink. Did you mean the dimming feature? If so, how did you do it?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Denis
Old 09-10-2016, 02:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
10 GLK350/ 15 Accord/ 94 Supra Turbo
the dimming feature typically has nothing to do with the car, there is a built in sensor that detects like impute and adjust the dimming feature, the mirror should be self sufficient from any of the "brains" of the car. I have installed the auto dimming and homelink on multiple cars, the only thing I look for is the mount and make sure it is comparable, the wiring is simple really, ground and power, some have two separate power wire for the mirror but you could always tap them both into any power source. I typically like the Infinity mirror and have installed it on multiple cars.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:45 AM

1985 380 SL, 2007 C230, 2015 GLK 350
Homelink Rearview Mirror repacement/Installation

As a follow-up to the mirror replacement, I found a mirror on Ebay being sold be LKQ's, a used car part company, for $64 including shipping. The ad was very concise and listed all the MB's the mirror would fit, mine was in the list. I ordered and received the mirror. I installed it yesterday after viewing the on-line video and it was a "Plug & Play" operation as cjmoy had defined. I followed the video and recommendations from cjmoy for removal of the old and it was pretty easy to install the replacement. I had purchased previously an interior trim removal tool ‘kit’ from my local Auto Zone, it’s inexpensive and very useful for any interior work. I have used it extensively on my 380 SL, C, Buick Reatta,and Ford truck. Using these plastic tools avoids trying to use screwdrivers and tools not appropriate for the task, and saves damaging interior finishes and parts.

The hardest part was setting up the garage remote as the mirror was from a different year MB and the procedure different from the outline in my owner’s manual. After some trial and error I figured out the correct procedure. All the features work correctly, i.e., dimming, opener operation, map lights, and compass. There was no need to go to the dealer at all.

Denis
Old 12-03-2016, 09:43 AM

GLK 350
I've done the same as above (C class mirror), but through a big parts place called Weber Brothers. Hardest part was finding the color mirror I needed. Installation was super easy on my 2015 GLK 350.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GLK 350 4Matic
I’m in the same basic situation as Denis70. I’ve got a 2015 base GLK 350 and wanted to upgrade the mirror, primarily for the garage door opener function. Found one for cheap at a local salvage yard...off of a 2011 GLK. Perfect fit/match...even the right color. 10 minute (if that) install. Plug and play...all good. Everything works as it should...sorta. I must be doing something wrong with the garage door programming. I can program the openers (found a how-to video for a 2011) and they work just fine...until I turn the “key” off. The next time I get in the car, the mirror (lights, compass, dimming) works fine...but the garage door programming is lost. I’m wondering if the 2011 mirror requires a constant “hot” to maintain the programming? But it seems Denis70 didn’t have an issue with the programming being lost. So I’m a little befuddled. Like I said, I may be doing the programming wrong...like maybe there’s a final “save” procedure I need to do once the programming is completed? With all that said, this is my first M-B. I’ve had it a week and I LOVE it!

UPDATE: I talked with the Homelink folks. They advised that there is no "reset" procedure (other than holding down the two outside buttons to clear out any previous programming) that would affect the saving/maintaining of the programming. (I believe...and I could be entirely wrong...that the "pinhole" reset only has to do with the compass settings. I don't believe it has anything to do with the garage door openers/Homelink part of the mirror.) Homelink further advised that there is no "final save" procedure to accomplish in order to lock in/save the programming. They said as soon as the button is programmed the programming is saved and should be maintained. They suggested that perhaps my mirror was simply faulty. The salvage yard where I obtained the mirror had several of them, so I simply swapped out the first salvage mirror for another one. The second one works! And for those of you who have later GLK models and have commented about not having a compass on your mirror (I understand that the mirror compasses were omitted in favor of a display compass at some point during the GLK's production run) it seems you can easily swap out your current mirror for a mirror from an earlier model that does have the compass. I was told that all the mirrors from 2011-2015 are interchangeable...so if you have a later model that doesn't have a mirror compass, you should be able to swap it out and have a "fully loaded" mirror. Like I said, my GLK is a 2015 and the salvage mirror is from a 2011 model.

I did notice something that I haven't figured out yet...and I haven't seen anything online about it. If you hold down the pinhole reset button you'll get to the setting for geographic zone. If you continue to hold it down, you'll get to the calibrate mode. If you hold it down even longer, you'll see "L" on the compass display. If you then push the button, you'll see "R" on the display. I assume those mean Left and Right...but I have no idea what the setting is for. I also noticed that the bottom of the mirror...where the map lights are...have "L" and "R" with little witness lines at the lights. I don't know what all that's for. Maybe some of you folks do?

Last edited by bseencsu; 07-07-2018 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 06-23-2018, 03:53 PM

Received 152 Likes on 132 Posts
2013 GLK350
try doing a software reset on the mirror.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GLK 350 4Matic
Originally Posted by JohnnyC
try doing a software reset on the mirror.
Thanks for the reply, Johnny. Do you mean holding down the two outside buttons to clear the previous programming (I’ve done that)...or is there some other software reset that can be done? Thanks again!
Old 06-24-2018, 04:17 AM

Received 152 Likes on 132 Posts
2013 GLK350
hold down the reset button with a pin.