GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

CHIP Express Diesel Tuning Chip for GLK 250 BlueTec

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 250 BlueTec, Audi S5, Porsche Cayman S, Ducati 848, Cessna 172
CHIP Express Diesel Tuning Chip for GLK 250 BlueTec

Hi. I'm new to the forum and was wondering if anyone on the forum tried this product?
http://www.chipexpress.com/products/4473/

I have a 2015 GLK 250 BlueTec and looking for a good plug in upgrade.

I'm also open to suggestions.

Thank in advance.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
That thing is complete garbage. It's a simple device that connects to the turbo boost and possibly fuel rail pressure sensors to produce lower readings than actual in order to fool the ECU to squirt in more air and gas at lower RPMs. At best, it will make your engine run rich and use up MORE fuel than needed - until the ECU adapts. At worst, it will prematurely wear out or outright destroy your motor.

If you're open to suggestions, here a good one for you: don't f__k with it. There is no such thing as a plug-in upgrade. If there was free power to be had, Mercedes would have already given it to you. If you wanted a more powerful car, you should have bought the 350 gasoline engine model or moved up to an ML. If you wanted a more economical one to run, I am afraid I can't help you there as even a Prius is worse than the 250 Bluetec.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:54 AM

I already have more powerful and faster modes of transportation. The GLK is my practical family car and I'm simply asking if there's a way to unleash more power. Does anyone else wish to provide some helpful suggestions? Certainly there has to be something available out there for the GLK 250 BlueTec.

Last edited by -006-; 05-07-2015 at 03:58 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:19 PM

GLK 250
Originally Posted by -006-
I already have more powerful and faster modes of transportation. The GLK is my practical family car and I'm simply asking if there's a way to unleash more power. Does anyone else wish to provide some helpful suggestions? Certainly there has to be something available out there for the GLK 250 BlueTec.
Hi there, I think Burger Tunning makes a plug and play. I have included in the link below, I have not had a chance to test it out as they no longer sell to California residence due to state laws. Let me know if you decided to give it a shot, I know those guys do great work for BMW.

Also I would contact Terry from BMS before purchasing, he is very knowledgeable and eager to help.

terry@burgertuning.com

http://burgertuning.com/Mercedes_JBD...nce_tuner.html

Coming from a Chipped GTI, I can tell you that an engine tunes do make a significant difference with turbo engines. I think the manufacture would purposely detune their engines for product segmentation. For example I believe MB would loose some of the buyers for the GL 350 Diesel if they tuned the GLK 250 or the ML 250 to its full potential.

Last edited by drydupfob; 05-07-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
There is always a way to unleash more power out of any engine. The downside is that it ALWAYS comes at the expense of longevity and reliability.

The second device mentioned is identical to the first in operation. By all means go ahead and use whatever you want on your car - just don't b!tch afterwards how there are issues with the car or that it's unreliable and that Mercedes won't pick up the bill for the repairs because you have voided your warranty. Caveat emptor.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:47 PM

GLK 250
Originally Posted by Diabolis
There is always a way to unleash more power out of any engine. The downside is that it ALWAYS comes at the expense of longevity and reliability.

The second device mentioned is identical to the first in operation. By all means go ahead and use whatever you want on your car - just don't b!tch afterwards how there are issues with the car or that it's unreliable and that Mercedes won't pick up the bill for the repairs because you have voided your warranty. Caveat emptor.
I totally agree, however people have had 200k plus miles on chipped GTIs with no issues. Maybe Mercedes are different, I think the guy just wanted some options on the plug and play system, no need to jump all over him.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 glk 250BT (RIP, 3/1/17}, 2010 C300
consider your warranty b4 you do anything like that.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Unless the engine has somehow been artificially restricted or detuned - which is not the case with the motor in the GLK 250 - any power upgrade has to either come as a result of modifying the engine itself to produce said increase in power without a sacrifice in reliability, or at the expense of reliability if the engine itself is not modified for the said increase in power. There is no magical device, formula, fuel or voodoo that will let you eat your cake and have it too.

While I realize this is not Rennlist or the C63 forum, that particular tidbit holds true for every vehicle ever made on this planet. Yes, some cars (usually with identical engines) were detuned for marketing reasons, and in those cases the extra power could be had without subjecting the motor to any stresses that it wasn't designed to cope with. The OM651 motor in the 250 with the twin turbos is at the top of the food chain for that particular engine. If you wanted to chip a Euro GLK 200 or 220 (with their 141 and 168 hp respectively), then it would be fairly safe to assume that you could try to get more power relatively safely seeing as the same motor is already producing more power in the 250 and Mercedes still stands behind it in terms of warranty. When you have the top-spec output for any given engine and you push it to give you even more, then you overstress the motor at the expense of reliability and longevity. It really is that simple.

I have first-hand experience with building, tuning ang blowing up race car engines for many years amd partially own an indie Porsche/Audi/VW performance shop, so take this for what it's worth. I don't mind spending some time on the forums helping others and being helped myself when I need it, but what I don't appreciate is when people come here asking for advice, others take the time to answer their questions, and then they don't like the answers and throw it back in your face. If you already know what's good or safe for yoru car, please don't waste our time asking about it and then arguing when you don't like the answers you get.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:25 AM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
Not an engineer but it seems to me that "twin-turboing" a 2.1L 4-cylinder engine for 200hp and gobs of torque in a 4200 pound aerodynamic brick (and that's before towing anything) is putting a fair amount of stress on the engine already. You have to wonder why one of the GLK engine options (not in the U.S.) is a 3 liter V-6 DIESEL.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:41 PM

GLK 250
Might not apply here, but Dinan makes a tune for the 2.0 BMW Turbo engines and they give you the same warranty as the factory on those.

http://www.dinancars.com/product/d44...ries&mid=1233/

I have not had much experience with turbo diesels, so it might be different. But I am just curious what the difference is between the two.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by drydupfob
Might not apply here, but Dinan makes a tune for the 2.0 BMW Turbo engines and they give you the same warranty as the factory on those.

http://www.dinancars.com/product/d44...ries&mid=1233/

I have not had much experience with turbo diesels, so it might be different. But I am just curious what the difference is between the two.
For starters, the N20 is a gasoline engine, not a diesel. A decent motor that puts out about 240 hp / 260 lb-ft stock, has VANOS and revs to 7,000 rpm, and can be relatively safely tuned to about 270 hp / 290 lb-ft before you need to add an alcohol or methanol injection system due to a relatively high compression ratio of 10:1.

In comparison, the OM651 motor in the GLK 250 has a compression ratio of 16.2:1 seeing as it's a diesel and thus has no spark plugs but instead uses pressure and temperature to make the air/fuel mixture spontaneously ignite. How much more pressure do you think it can safely take before you blow off the cylinder head? The injectors already squirt diesel in at 29,000 psi. As it is, it puts out 200 hp and 370 lb-ft of torque (for comparison, a Ferrari F430 produces about 345 lb-ft). Not much room for improvement there me thinks.

And, if you think that the BMW is somehow more advanced than a similar Benz, Mercedes already makes a 2.0L 4-cylinder turbo that puts out well over 350 hp / 330 lb-ft in stock form, in the A45 / CLA45 / GLA45. No aftermarket tuning required.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:10 AM

Thank for all the info everyone.

Diabolis, you seem to have a strong and informed option throughout the forum and I appreciate the perspective. I was just looking for other perspectives as yours was just the first answer of what I hoped would be at least several answers for my full consideration before making a decision either way. That is afterall my intended purpose of coming to a forum. It is also possible that a new and different technology or product is launched that you are not yet aware of and is worth exploring so if someone on this forum is aware of such a product, I along with others would certainly like an opportunity to be introduced to it so we can all take the time to learn more about it.

That all said and in the end, I may ultimately end up leaving this vehicle stock in consideration of the warranty and the fact that it's the practical family vehicle of our fleet at home but I intend to take it all in before making a decision.

I trust that we can all agree that it would still be nice to make this vehicle even just a little more enjoyable performance wise than it already is so perhaps another question could then be what other performance mods aside from engine tuning would be worthwhile but I'll just start another thread for that.

Thanks again and don't be afraid to keep your contributions and perspectives coming on this topic. I value and appreciate it all.

Last edited by -006-; 06-05-2015 at 04:54 AM.