question about 4matic system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X204 GLK350 4matic
question about 4matic system

Hey guys, I am new to Mercedes. I have a GLK350 4matic

Is this 4matic system considered a AWD system or a 4WD system? I think its AWD but honestly i dont even know the technical differences anymore lol
Old 09-06-2015, 05:58 AM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
Originally Posted by mujjuman

Is this 4matic system considered a AWD system or a 4WD system? I think its AWD but honestly i dont even know the technical differences anymore lol

It is AWD.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 GLK250, 1983 Caterham super 7
Originally Posted by mujjuman

This should give your memory a little kick start. http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/wh...l-wheel-drive/

Suffice it to say that if you want to go "off road" adding big tires to a GLK is futile and mostly an exercise in "looking the part".
Old 09-06-2015, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Actually - GLK 4matic is All-Time-All-Wheel-Drove - ATAWD - as distinguished from other AWD systems that only "kick in" the other two wheels when sensors show losing traction -
Old 09-06-2015, 07:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK350
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Actually - GLK 4matic is All-Time-All-Wheel-Drove - ATAWD - as distinguished from other AWD systems that only "kick in" the other two wheels when sensors show losing traction -
+1
Similar to Audi's Quattro. But 50/50 rather than 40/60 I believe. But don't quote me on the exact distribution.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:01 PM

2011 B-Class 200 Turbo
More for all weather conditions, like most "awd" cars on the road today.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Mercedes GLK350 4Matic in White
From MB HQ-

From a WIKI 4Matic page:
The second generation of 4Matic was re-introduced on the W210 series in 1998/1999. Available only in left hand drive the cars were again manufactured at the Magna-Steyr plant in Austria. The second generation of 4Matic used a full-time 4-wheel-drive system with three open differentials front, centre and rear. Traction control is achieved using ETS (Electronic Traction System). This employs the ABS system with additional valves to monitor and then partially brakes any wheel which loses traction. This much simpler system is also used in the Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV.

The second and third generation 4Matic systems are currently available on the A-Class, B-Class, C-Class, E-Class, G-Class, S-Class (and former CL), GLA-Class, GLK-Class ("GLC"), ML-Class ("GLE"), GL-Class ("GLS"), CLA-Class, CLS-Class, Vito (and Viano), although certain right-hand-drive models are not available due to the position of the steering column. These later systems include engine and automatic stability controls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4Matic

Although torque is transferred between front a rear axels transparently, the split is 55% rear - 45% front until the system required traction to be split differently. Magna-Steyr of Austria produced 4Matic components and I believe helped to create the current 3rd generation 4Matic and the 4th generation Front wheel drive/Awd system used in the GLA, A series, CLA.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Mercedes GLK350 4Matic in White
Just to add: after driving a Audi A4 Quattro (twice-and loved them), our feel is that 4wd/AWD are the way to go. On purchasing a GLK (used) and a new 2015 CLS550 4Matic, on my mountain skinny roads the 4matic technology has proven itself over and over again whether it be winter sand covering spring dry roads, torrential downpours or snow and icy roads. 4matic is on all the time and all 4 wheel are providing a percentage of pull/push power for increased handling. Having driven partial AWD (slip and grip) systems, they often fail by being too slow to aid in grip or kick in so hard control becomes a issue. The stability control further enhances the safety and it is almost unfelt when small power fluctuations happen or one or more wheels is auto braked for returning control back to the driver. We all would like to claim we are excellent drivers (egos in hand), but reality is the fact that deep potholes, crumbling edges of roads, rippling asphalt caused by heaving and a million other problems endanger our journeys everyday. many can be avoided in daytime but when the night arrives and there is reduced street lighting, any extra help to keep the driver and their occupants safe and continuing down the road is what matters. 4matic and its adjacent safety features do just that.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:46 AM

2011 B-Class 200 Turbo
The only thing I like about our 2010 JGC Ltd is the Quadra-Drive II. Cant even get it to spin out on ice. Of course the system is more geared for offroading than a 4 Matic would be. (in mechanical robustness)