GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

North American GLK Single Zone Climate Control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GLK
North American GLK Single Zone Climate Control

Hello everyone, new to the forum. Just picked up a 2015 GLK gasoline engine. One of my deal breakers was automatic climate control, this one is dual zone. Good! I thought. The thing is, I used to work for Mercedes as a tech and there was always a button to turn it to single zone mode so that when you're the only person in the car you don't have to adjust the temperature twice, because you know... that's silly and you're most likely going to forget to adjust the passenger side so now you're controlling temperature really inefficiently. Then if your passenger got in the car and adjusted the dial it would then automatically enter into dual zone mode.

I see that European models have the zone button while North Americans have the max cool function because apparently as a people we're too stupid to understand auto climate control. There has got to be a way to set this to single zone by pressing a couple of buttons at the same time, holding down a button for a few seconds? I've tried different combos and no luck.

My last idea is since it appears it's the same exact control unit I may just be able to program it as a European climate control system and the max cool button should act as a zone button.

I know this is my first post, but I did search and didn't see anything. I saw one post where someone mentioned that maybe you can hold down the auto button for a few seconds but that doesn't seem to do anything for me.

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2015, 01:53 PM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
Zone button may be for front and rear. Some markets (not the U.S.) have separate settings for the rear seat "zone" as an option.

Originally Posted by r2sie2
Hello everyone, new to the forum. Just picked up a 2015 GLK gasoline engine. One of my deal breakers was automatic climate control, this one is dual zone. Good! I thought. The thing is, I used to work for Mercedes as a tech and there was always a button to turn it to single zone mode so that when you're the only person in the car you don't have to adjust the temperature twice, because you know... that's silly and you're most likely going to forget to adjust the passenger side so now you're controlling temperature really inefficiently. Then if your passenger got in the car and adjusted the dial it would then automatically enter into dual zone mode.

I see that European models have the zone button while North Americans have the max cool function because apparently as a people we're too stupid to understand auto climate control. There has got to be a way to set this to single zone by pressing a couple of buttons at the same time, holding down a button for a few seconds? I've tried different combos and no luck.

My last idea is since it appears it's the same exact control unit I may just be able to program it as a European climate control system and the max cool button should act as a zone button.

I know this is my first post, but I did search and didn't see anything. I saw one post where someone mentioned that maybe you can hold down the auto button for a few seconds but that doesn't seem to do anything for me.

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2015, 02:07 PM

2015 GLK
Zone button is for zone settings... one zone, two zone, three zone. North American dual zone models apparently sacrificed that button for max a/c. Just seems hard to believe there's no way to set it to single zone.

Originally Posted by MBKLUE
Zone button may be for front and rear. Some markets (not the U.S.) have separate settings for the rear seat "zone" as an option.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:29 AM

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts
yes
Originally Posted by r2sie2
Zone button is for zone settings... one zone, two zone, three zone. North American dual zone models apparently sacrificed that button for max a/c. Just seems hard to believe there's no way to set it to single zone.
I guess I don't understand why you feel you must adjust the second zone if there is no passenger. What is the point? Then again, I don't see the point of having zones in the tight confines of the GLK cabin. Seems more of a marketing tool to me than anything else. Big vents are available for occupants to vary or shut off air flow for their area. Heat seating may be available, windows can be opened slightly or closed... Again, in a vehicle with a much larger cabin I could understand the whole zone thing.

IF it is one or the other, I much rather have a Max Cool button rather than a zone button but, obviously, that's my preference. Give us the damn option of ventilated seats and I think that could make a much more useful difference in the big scheme of occupant comfort.

Last edited by MBKLUE; 12-02-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:42 AM

2011 GLK 350 4matic
The 2011 GLK Canadian version has a "mono" button to control the left and right temperature at the same time.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:52 AM

2011 GLK 350
Originally Posted by rshew
The 2011 GLK Canadian version has a "mono" button to control the left and right temperature at the same time.
Yup! Canadian version has "Mono" while US has "Max A/C".
Old 12-02-2015, 11:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 C8, 2020 defender 110X, 2019 720S, 2014 GLK 350 4matic, 2015 escalade platinum, 2013 RRS HSELux
My 2014 has dual controls.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:45 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
If I even thought about changing the temp or vents on the passenger side, the better half would have probably stuck a knife in my hand!
Old 12-04-2015, 05:57 PM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2010 GLK350
^Exactly this.

However, it is strange that the US GLK doesn't have this feature. My Lexus allows me to switch between single-zone or dual-zone with the touch of a button. I'm always in mono, unless the wife is in the car.