GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Finally got it done - GLK250 DPF/SCR Deleted and EGR disabled

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 04:23 PM

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4MATIC; 2011 ML350; 2005 C230k;
I you haven’t deleted EGR or DPF and only mod you have is software I wouldn’t worry then. Just plug back the adblue module so everything looks stock and you should be good.
Old 04-01-2021, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 270 Likes on 228 Posts
GLK 250
Originally Posted by ramo80
I think many of us just did the programming change. At least I did.
Unfortunately, I think a lot of the early adopters of "deletes" actually cut off and removed hardware along with the software changes. This is likely because the tuners weren't the savviest when it comes to adjusting parameters vs turning them all off. For example, some tuners can do dynamic EGR setting to where the EGR stays open long enough to warm up the engine sooner, then it shuts it off.

Tuning is an art and a science, and not everybody is good at both. For those who have already hacked off pipes and filters and such, there is no remedy available unless they return the vehicle to stock.

For those of who us only did a soft delete (software only) and have the ability to revert back to stock "on the fly," it's quick and painless. Plus, once you get the car back from the dealership who does the recall, you can put your performance tune back on (at least I think so, I need to confirm with @OETuning).
Old 04-01-2021, 05:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 Adventurewagen
I am happy with my delete and do not need the Mercedes recall repair, as I feel the engine is just fine with all the items removed. I had removed all items correctly, nothing to be cut or chopped off, and stored for???
Being in a place with no emission testing, might put me into a different situation than other Bluetec pilots.
The following users liked this post:
Peter V (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glk250 diesel
Originally Posted by C300fan2
Thats a good idea. I will try exhaust wrap next.
Hello
I did my replacement with same rawtec pipes everything fit tight an nicely but it apparently has same quality problems as it generates same dull whistling sound that seems to vary with engine rotation really annoying as it wasn't before and it's not the diesel sound; I can hear outside and from inside till 60 km/h.
Did you fix it somehow with exahaust wrap or sealant or at least did you identify from where it comes?
Old 06-03-2021, 08:34 PM

GLK 250
Originally Posted by andreigbs
[/color]

I made sure to hook up my Noco trickle charger before doing the reading/rewriting. I'm on the original 2014 battery, and I know it's weak. You don't want power issues while coding new software.

Also correct: it doesn't matter the brand of exhaust pipe. What matters is the tune. With the OETuning software, the car will still do regens when it thinks it needs them. If you remove hardware, you have to have a tune that stops any/all regens because without a DPF in place, you're likely to burn a hole in your new exhaust.

The best route, IMO, is to not need surgery on the car which isn't really reversible, whereas a tune is. Plus it's cheaper.
To be clear, would a software bypass pretty well guarantee no future problems with the emissions system (as far as having to replace the DEF heater, nox sensors, etc.)? I'm about to pull the trigger on buying a 250, but terrified of having a $$$ repair bill come up shortly after buying. For what it's worth, the car is a 2015 with 77k miles on it. Thank you!
Old 06-03-2021, 08:58 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
14 GLK 250
Originally Posted by RyanKelvin
To be clear, would a software bypass pretty well guarantee no future problems with the emissions system (as far as having to replace the DEF heater, nox sensors, etc.)? I'm about to pull the trigger on buying a 250, but terrified of having a $$$ repair bill come up shortly after buying. For what it's worth, the car is a 2015 with 77k miles on it. Thank you!
yes the software will disable the entire system. You will never have problems with it again if you disable the entire system.

Some leave the factory hardware in while some take it out.

I took mine out but as you can read that can cause whistle noise issues as the replacement pipe connection is not perfect.

i live with the slight whistle that goes away after a few min.

I also wanted the DPF to be taken out because that is what clogs and causes too much back pressure in the engine.

There is another user that says the dpf regens can still happen with the tune and you leave the system in. I don’t want to risk it. Straight flow for me no DPF.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,391 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
You chose to not disclosure your location, but in USA with Bluetec settlement - those vehicles just got 4 years extended warranty on whole emission system and most of engine parts.
Mine friend just bought 1 with no AEM performed yet, so he will claim $2,600 to 3,500 when after the AEM is done.
Don't know if it will work the same on GLK, but I sold my 2008 E320 Bluetec to neighbor.
He put straight exhaust in it hoping for more pimping, but the fumes were giving him headaches, so he brings it back to factory standarts.

Last edited by kajtek1; 06-03-2021 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Yes, a good tune will prevent future issues. But since the emissions recall applies to that 2015, why not get it fixed ASAP and then enjoy 4yrs/48k miles warranty on not just the emissions system, but also the turbo, fuel system, EGR, engine internals and many other parts?

You can always tune it afterwards too…
Old 08-03-2021, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes GLK 250
Got it done as well

Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan

This is the website information from my local tuning shop - ECUprogram in calgary

I have been a forum member for a long period of time. Somehow i forgot my user name and password to login whenever I tried to make this post. Anyway, I have seen many members asked if it possible to get the GLK DPF/SCR/EGR delete in the past. Recently, I have found a tuning shop in my local area and completed this modification. To begin, I would like to show the website that I found which makes me super interest and exciting about this modification.

So for the price of $1099 CAD i can have a stage 2 tune and increase 60 HP and 40 TQ?!?!?! Yes that is correct for the tune! But you have to get the DPF delete kit, which is $799 CAD and approximately 5 hours of labour to install the DPF delete kit. The total cost for me for this modification was about $2,500 CAD. But man! the difference of the power and how the vehicle perform was day and night!

First of all, my GLk250 currently at 115000 km. I did not purchase the extended warranty which is another factor that pushed me to complete this modification. I had my DPF filter replaced at 50,000km under the factory warranty. I also had my NOX sensor replaced at 60,000 km, again, under the factory warranty. These two repairs always makes me worry about the cost for the long term ownership for the GLK250. According to the dealer invoice, the DPF replacement was about $4,000 CAD and the NOX sensor was about $800. There are no way I can afford these kind of expansive emission repairs and I do love my GLK250 and planning to keep to drive for a long period of time. So ever since then, I have been doing a lot of research and see how I can deal with this problem.

During my research, I found a lot of diesel truck owners and VW jetta owners completed a DPF/SCR/EGR delete. But unfortunately, I cannot find any DPF delete information regarding with our GLK. Hopefully my posting will help the fellow GLK owner if they decide to proceed with the DPF delete. I called around in Calgary area and see if any shops willing to do a DPF delete for my GLK. There were multiple of them informed me that there are no dpf kit available for my GLK and most of the shops are not familiar with Mercedes. Until I found Sam from ECUprogram! Oh man! He is like a diesel expert! He told me is possible to do it, but he never worked on a GLK before. Like I never met a mechanic that is honest like him. He told me he was able to help me delete my DPF and SCR, disable the EGR valve, which makes the modification is completely reversible whenever I decide to sell my vehicle.

After the modification and tune completed, my GLK feels like a brand new vehicle with lots of power! It almost feels like the break is not good enough the for amount of power. It getting late at night now. I will post more pictures tomorrow! If you have any questions about this modification, please don't hesitate to ask me. I learned a lot about he GLK from this forum. Now i believe is my time to give back. Cheers !!
Got my 2013 GLK 250 with 120k KM's deleted and tuned and I honestly can't believe how much better it is. Sam at ECU programming in Calgary said it has 240hp and 430 pounds of torque now and it sure feels like it. Pretty excited to not have to worry about that garbage emissions system anymore. I have a 2018 440i gran coupe M performance and I almost have as much fun in my GLK now.
dbellefeuille (08-09-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 10:15 PM

glk250
Originally Posted by jrmelny
Got my 2013 GLK 250 with 120k KM's deleted and tuned and I honestly can't believe how much better it is. Sam at ECU programming in Calgary said it has 240hp and 430 pounds of torque now and it sure feels like it. Pretty excited to not have to worry about that garbage emissions system anymore. I have a 2018 440i gran coupe M performance and I almost have as much fun in my GLK now.
send me a message, I’m in Red Deer and looking to have this done but sams shop is closed around my days off
Old 08-10-2021, 02:38 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 GLK 250
Hi Andreigbs - did you redo the tune after the mods? If so, did it bring it back to the HP and torque as before? Thx.
Old 08-10-2021, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
@arocarty Not yet, although I'm tempted to. Need to confirm with OETuning if I can update my flash loader with the new stock software first, since it currently has the original software and if I revert to that programming, the MB stealer would know something is up.

As soon as I can get my new stock software put on the flash load tool, I will go back to tuned. When I do, I expect more power than before, since I had a busted intercooler boost pipe that was letting out most of the boost. The only concern I have is that I wasn't getting any "insufficient boost" codes, which I need to get clarification on from OETuning (ie, does their software resort to set values and ignores the dynamic/real values).
Old 08-29-2021, 08:01 PM

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts
GLC300 (mine) GLK250 (wife's)
Ok, I know that my current situation is old news for you guys in the US with the nice Benz recall but our Canadian lawsuit is moving at a glacial pace. I'm assuming that it will be resolved at some point but maybe not soon enough to prevent me from pulling ALL of my hair out. Here's my problem -

2015 GLK250 - Got a CEL 2002 (DPF soot content above threshold) about a year ago, cleared it but it returned about a month ago. It's been coming back every 100 km or so since then. Passive regens are happening when they should, soot content is very low after regen and the DPF pressure sensor reads normal.
After some research I took the car out with my Autel reading live data. I scrolled to the Nox sensors which both read "not operational". So why the didn't I get a Nox sensor 2200 error? This stuff is just a minefield and it's not certain that Nox sensors are causing the 2002 code. Nox sensors are crazy expensive and, from what I understand, new ones need to be coded to the car by the stealer so DIY is not much of an option.

From where I am right now, an OE tune with Adblue delete seems to be my best approach. It hopefully would prevent an endless cycle of chasing CELs and codes If/when the Canadian suit comes through I can revert back to my original tune before the recall then go from there. But if there's a simple solution that I've overlooked it would be nice to know.

I'd appreciate any perspectives on any of the above
Old 08-30-2021, 06:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
GLK250
Moi, j'ai fait faire la suppression dpf plus la programmation stage 1 par malone tuning. Depuis, plus aucun problème et j'ai toute mes pièces pour un retour a l'origine. J'ai envoyé mon ordinateur par fedex et recu en 3 jours. Tres fiable comme programmation et tres connu dans ce métier. A vous de voir.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:40 PM

CLK 250 BLUETEC
DPF clogged

Dealer wanted $2500 to replace filter. I put a can of diesel purge in a half full fuel tank, cel light went out within 100km. 1000km later still not on.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:31 AM

So I went ahead with OE Tune and my results were (to put it kindly) mixed. OE have been recommended here and elsewhere and my initial interactions were quite positive. I asked for a standard tune with an Adblue delete and along came the MyGenius transfer device and an email containing the MyGenius client software with instructions. I uploaded my engine tune, sent it off to OE and received my tuned file by email the next day. All good so far.

When I tried to open the software again to load MyGenius with the new tuned file I got a virus alert "Heur.AdvML.C" from Norton anti-virus. Deleted the file and re-installed it but got the same warning. OE told me that it was probably a false positive so I did some research and it seems that "Heur.AdvML.C" is a Norton machine learning algorithm that predicts the characteristics of a virus. One interesting comment I read was "usually caused by poorly-written software". I temporarily disabled Norton, downloaded and re-installed the MyGenius software. Then a new problem cropped up, the software couldn't talk to the device. Ryan at OE found and installed a couple of drivers which hadn't auto-loaded for some reason and this allowed the device to accept the tuned file from the app.

Loading the tuned file to the car was straightforward but the load did not exactly follow the documentation. Instead of seeing ORIGINAL and MODIFIED files as the documentation states, I got a message "Log file generated". The device now only contains the tuned file and nothing else. This defeats the purpose of getting the MyGenius device because a trip to the dealer (recalls etc.) will require a reversion to the original tune which I can't do as it's no longer on the device. When I told OE the response was "if the car starts and runs, the tune loaded correctly". Well no it didn't. After 3 weeks of fruitless back and forth with OE it seems that I've been put on the PITA shelf because they've stopped responding.

As for the tune, the CEL has not come back, there's a slight raspy sound from the engine at certain revs, the tranny seems to upshift earlier and downshift later at low revs, there's no discernable increase in performance or fuel economy. The bottom line is that I got some of what I needed but not all. What I did get in spades was frustration and a sneaky feeling that the tune I received is somehow sub-optimal. Maybe the Canadian version of the US emissions recall will come in time to make this little adventure meaningless.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:15 AM

Received 133 Likes on 88 Posts
GLK250 ML350
I don't know why you didn't choose Sam @ ECU program. He done it so many times now and all his reviews are positive. I was one of the first few in Calgary that got it done and as of today, the car still running strong. Maybe is the price difference, but sometimes you pay for what you get.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
sometimes you pay for what you get.

You ALWAYS pay for what you get; sometimes you get what you pay for. Big difference.

As for your experience with OETuning @karmikan I'm sorry to hear you had difficulties with the loading and setup of the tune. When I got mine two years ago, it worked straightforward out of the box so to speak. I didn't have any issues installing the MyGenius software to my little $100 Lenovo. I simply updated the device as the instructions said, then downloaded my existing OEM ECU software and emailed it off. Two days later I got back my original file as the backup and the modified tune as well. I saved both to the MyGenius device and confirmed they were on there before rewriting the new power tune to the ECU. Loading the modified tune took maybe 5 minutes? The car was on a battery tender the whole time, which certainly helps when you're on the original 6+ year-old battery.

After the tune was loaded I took it out for a spin, and man what a difference. Later I asked for a separate modified tune that turns off the AdBlue system, and loaded that in the same way when I got it a couple days later. The truck ran great until I put my original file back on, to take the car in for the AEM recall.

I still have the MyGenius device with 3 tunes on it (original, modified, modified + AdBlue delete) but so far I'm enjoying the newly found power that comes with a new boost hose, no need for any tunes yet.

Last time I spoke to OE guys, they said they can update my original file with the newly installed software from the AEM recall. That way I can load my power tunes back and still revert to stock AEM software for trips to the dealer. More than likely I will need to visit the MB stealer to have them replace the faulty AdBlue heater, which is another reason I haven't bothered with the tunes yet.

I just think you might be one of the few with sub-optimal experiences, and I know it can be frustrating. I only opted for OE because of the price and availability (of lack thereof) of local tuning shops that could do what I wanted. It's always better to have a local place to go back to if you have issues, rather than shipping stuff across borders and have to rely on emails only to fix problems.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan
I don't know why you didn't choose Sam @ ECU program. He done it so many times now and all his reviews are positive
I thought I was choosing apples to apples but OE offered the ability to switch between tunes in my driveway. Given the positive reviews there was no way to anticipate what happened.

Andreigbs - You make perfectly sound points in your post and I probably am one of a minority who have had a bad experience with this firm. It seems to me (without having much knowledge of the inner workings of their software) that Norton anti-virus might be at the core of my issues, possibly as a result of Norton's machine-learning predictive algorithms. However, I surely can't be the first user of OE software who also has Norton. Is this potential software conflict the cause and if so how did OE solve it? I don't know because they've gone silent. Leading up to their silence, I went through one of the most frustrating email experiences I can remember. Their response to each email I sent was basically a cut and paste from their instruction set sometimes unrelated to my question. Almost 3 weeks of this stuff was pretty exhausting. Are OE busy, understaffed or disinterested? Whatever, they succeeded in making their problem my problem. .
Old 09-30-2021, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
It's definitely frustrating. I would definitely try to get the original tune back, as the log file won't be of any use really. If you downloaded it with the MyGenius device and emailed it to them, they should have emailed it back to you in the proper format along with your modified tune (whatever mods you asked for), so that you can load them both onto the MyGenius device.

Basically, when you plug in the MyGenius device into the OBD port, you should see at least two options for writing: Original and Modified. If you don't see that, take a screenshot and email it to them. Definitely check your emails from them and make sure they did indeed send you your original file back, so you can save it to the MyGenius device. If they didn't send you your original, that's on them and they need to make it right.
karmikan (10-01-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by andreigbs
If you downloaded it with the MyGenius device and emailed it to them, they should have emailed it back to you in the proper format along with your modified tune (whatever mods you asked for), so that you can load them both onto the MyGenius device..
This is interesting. After I sent my downloaded file to OE, I received a return email from them containing just the tuned file, my original was NOT included. Are you saying that OE should have re-formatted my original and returned it with the tuned file?
Another thing, you mentioned that your tuned file came to you in a couple of days. Mine took a little over 4 HOURS. Just checked the time stamps and I sent my file to them at 5:55 PM and the tuned file was returned at 10:13 PM the same day. Is that indicative of anything? - don't know.

I'd appreciate your comments on file names/sizes to see if they agree with yours:

Original file -MYGFile.FPF (414 KB)
Tuned file - MYGFile_000_MOD.FPF (411 KB)

After the tune was uploaded via the OBD port, the MYGFile_000_MOD.FPF file stayed on MyGenius without being re-named. The MYGFile.FPF file disappeared.

Thanks for your help sir
Old 09-30-2021, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
OE should have re-formatted my original and returned it with the tuned file?

Correct, since when you download the OEM software it is not currently in the right format to be rewritten to the ECU, should you need to. Therefore, they take your OEM file and are supposed to format it for rewriting. They send back the original which is now like a backup and they send you the new modified tune.

your tuned file came to you in a couple of days...mine took a little over 4 HOURS... Is that indicative of anything?

I think they're busy at various times, so I wouldn't read too much into their response time for getting the initial set of files back. My guess is that they have the tuned file common to all GLK250 Bluetecs, so you're not getting a custom file, meaning they're not taking your OEM version and performing custom tuning of that; it's an "off the shelf" tune basically.

I would check your MyGenius software to see if your Original can be put back onto the MyGenius device. There is no reason it should be removed, unless perhaps you left a box checked/unchecked when loading the tunes from OE into the MyGenius.

I haven't plugged in my device in several months, it's stored away safely so I can't recall the exact sizes of files (sounds right though), but I do recall seeing all my files on the device before AND after I wrote the modified file to the ECU.

I currently have 3 files on the MyGenius and can choose to write any of them at any time.

Last edited by andreigbs; 09-30-2021 at 05:11 PM.
karmikan (10-01-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 10:56 AM

Many thanks Andreigbs. I've just emailed OE for the re-formatted OEM file. Keeping my fingers crossed that they actually respond.
andreigbs (10-01-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 08:26 PM

OE responded to my email this PM - "Factory stock map is accessed by selecting "ORIGINAL". “ORIGINAL” map can only be accessed after a MOD file has been loaded to the vehicle."

"Original tune is packed with each tuned map loaded to MyGenius."

This after I carefully explained, on multiple occasions, that I didn't get either "ORIGINAL" or "MODIFIED" files after loading to the vehicle and the upload messages I saw from MyGenius didn't follow the documentation. I even sent a screen shot of the contents of MyGenius after loading. Seems I'm back at square 1

(edit)
On reflection, I'm going to drop this whole thing and put it down to experience. If/when I need to revert to the OEM tune I'll get a separate off-the-shelf tune from someone, should be readily available. Thanks for your help Andreigbs. .

Last edited by karmikan; 10-02-2021 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 10-04-2021, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Yeah, to me that's just bad service at this point. And perhaps a faulty MyGenius device? In either case, they should be providing far better customer service support than they are. No excuses.

In my case, the money I spent for the tune + AdBlue delete was well worth it. I was able to run the car nearly 2 more years without any exhaust system issues, and we lucked out with the AEM recall. Now any repair to the system should be covered for quite some time.

Wishing you best of luck in Canadia...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally got it done - GLK250 DPF/SCR Deleted and EGR disabled