MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLK-Class (X204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204-94/)
-   -   Finally got it done - GLK250 DPF/SCR Deleted and EGR disabled (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204/697383-finally-got-done-glk250-dpf-scr-deleted-egr-disabled.html)

GLK Super Fan 02-03-2018 03:39 AM

Finally got it done - GLK250 DPF/SCR Deleted and EGR disabled
 
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...220227e2dd.jpg

This is the website information from my local tuning shop - ECUprogram in calgary

I have been a forum member for a long period of time. Somehow i forgot my user name and password to login whenever I tried to make this post. Anyway, I have seen many members asked if it possible to get the GLK DPF/SCR/EGR delete in the past. Recently, I have found a tuning shop in my local area and completed this modification. To begin, I would like to show the website that I found which makes me super interest and exciting about this modification.

So for the price of $1099 CAD i can have a stage 2 tune and increase 60 HP and 40 TQ?!?!?! Yes that is correct for the tune! But you have to get the DPF delete kit, which is $799 CAD and approximately 5 hours of labour to install the DPF delete kit. The total cost for me for this modification was about $2,500 CAD. But man! the difference of the power and how the vehicle perform was day and night!

First of all, my GLk250 currently at 115000 km. I did not purchase the extended warranty which is another factor that pushed me to complete this modification. I had my DPF filter replaced at 50,000km under the factory warranty. I also had my NOX sensor replaced at 60,000 km, again, under the factory warranty. These two repairs always makes me worry about the cost for the long term ownership for the GLK250. According to the dealer invoice, the DPF replacement was about $4,000 CAD and the NOX sensor was about $800. There are no way I can afford these kind of expansive emission repairs and I do love my GLK250 and planning to keep to drive for a long period of time. So ever since then, I have been doing a lot of research and see how I can deal with this problem.

During my research, I found a lot of diesel truck owners and VW jetta owners completed a DPF/SCR/EGR delete. But unfortunately, I cannot find any DPF delete information regarding with our GLK. Hopefully my posting will help the fellow GLK owner if they decide to proceed with the DPF delete. I called around in Calgary area and see if any shops willing to do a DPF delete for my GLK. There were multiple of them informed me that there are no dpf kit available for my GLK and most of the shops are not familiar with Mercedes. Until I found Sam from ECUprogram! Oh man! He is like a diesel expert! He told me is possible to do it, but he never worked on a GLK before. Like I never met a mechanic that is honest like him. He told me he was able to help me delete my DPF and SCR, disable the EGR valve, which makes the modification is completely reversible whenever I decide to sell my vehicle.

After the modification and tune completed, my GLK feels like a brand new vehicle with lots of power! It almost feels like the break is not good enough the for amount of power. It getting late at night now. I will post more pictures tomorrow! If you have any questions about this modification, please don't hesitate to ask me. I learned a lot about he GLK from this forum. Now i believe is my time to give back. Cheers !!

formerjeepguy 02-03-2018 05:49 PM

I read this with mixed feelings. On the one hand the emissions system on these diesels is expensive, complex, susceptible to failures and chokes overall performance. On the other hand it does keep toxic emissions out of the air that we breathe.

I commend you technical achievement and condemn your added pollution.

You must not have to face regular emissions inspections where you are.

107123210 02-04-2018 06:11 PM

I sympathize with GLK S-F regarding the high cost of potential emission control components. I believe those items are covered by the emissions warranty for 7 or 8 years. The emissions warranty is not same as main warranty so no need to buy an extended warranty to cover those items. https://www.mercedes-benz-burlington...benz-warranty/. I once had the main computer on a smart car replaced under that emissions warranty.

I don't know about Alberta, but in Ontario, cars are emission tested once they are 7 years old. Most are done by just using the OBD2 data. (all but 1 sensors must be "ready") But there is also a preliminary inspection to check for modifications. Wonder if the tuning modifications make the OBD data look like the car has no problems?

GLK Super Fan 02-09-2018 02:15 PM


Originally Posted by formerjeepguy (Post 7373179)
I read this with mixed feelings. On the one hand the emissions system on these diesels is expensive, complex, susceptible to failures and chokes overall performance. On the other hand it does keep toxic emissions out of the air that we breathe.

I commend you technical achievement and condemn your added pollution.

You must not have to face regular emissions inspections where you are.

There are no emission test in where i live. To be honest it may be new to the GLK owner to do the DPF/SCR and EGR delete, but it is really common on the diesel trucks and VW. I even find a lot of BMW owner does that as well on their forum. I cant really tell if the emission eqipments are really helping the environment or not. i do not see any black smoke coming out from the exhaust at all after the delete completed. To me, the emission equpiments and tests are more like a cash grab from the government.That just my point of views and 2 cents.

GLK Super Fan 02-09-2018 02:26 PM


Originally Posted by 107123210 (Post 7373732)
I sympathize with GLK S-F regarding the high cost of potential emission control components. I believe those items are covered by the emissions warranty for 7 or 8 years. The emissions warranty is not same as main warranty so no need to buy an extended warranty to cover those items. https://www.mercedes-benz-burlington...benz-warranty/. I once had the main computer on a smart car replaced under that emissions warranty.

I don't know about Alberta, but in Ontario, cars are emission tested once they are 7 years old. Most are done by just using the OBD2 data. (all but 1 sensors must be "ready") But there is also a preliminary inspection to check for modifications. Wonder if the tuning modifications make the OBD data look like the car has no problems?

There are warranties on some of the emissions components, but not all of then. In Nov last year my DEF exhaust injector failed and the line attached to the injector got knocked off by the snows on the ground. The dealer quoted me $1600 for repair and that was not cover by the emission warranty. i was able to just replace the injector with a indy shop and keep using the old fluid line until I got my DPF delete completed.

I used live in ontario for over ten years and i know the emission test you talking about. Whenever I did the research for DPF delete, i saw more shops offer that in Ontario than in Alberta. Although there were more shops offer dpf for the trucks in alberta, just not so much to choose from for the GLK.

Whenever I did the DPF delete, SAM told me that the diesel engine cannot be tune by OBDII. Sam said the reason behind is to make it more complicated so makes harder for people to mainpulated the emission sysmtem. During my research, i found a guy that sell chips in Ontario to overide the emission components, but not true DPF delete. If you give a search in KIJIJI, you will find it.

GLK Super Fan 02-09-2018 02:35 PM

More pictures :)
 
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...0ee7947815.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7dc6a2568e.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...6d56707c41.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...26830bed34.jpg

Lately has been really busy for me. Here are some more pictures from the DPF/SCR delete.

GLK Super Fan 02-09-2018 05:45 PM

More Pictures on the parts that Sam helped me removed
 
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...49a02f31e3.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...d7459d2853.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...67fe371f78.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...048e22bba8.jpg

kifaru 05-01-2018 11:00 AM

Hi
so after a few months using your glk with the tune, hows the car doing any gain in mpg or driver feel?

thanks

GLK Super Fan 05-03-2018 12:16 PM

Hi,

So far, no complaint except for little diesel smell. The mileage seems the same, i was expecting to get little better, but it didn't happen. I will do more test once the weather are more stable. The other thing I notice is that I get a lot of white smoke whenever I first start the vehicle. It doesn't really brother me now. I did find a solution for the white smoke by adding the power stroke diesel additive. The best part after the deleting is that no longer needs to worry the emission system fail, like DPF issues, nox sensors fail, def pump malfunction, that really takes the stress off from my mind.

Here are my personal mileage data after deleted

Best mileage ever got: .5.2L/100km (45mpg) - Highway only with 100km speed
Average highway mileage 6.0L /100km (39mpg) - Highway speed 110-120 average
Average City and highway 6.5L/100km (36mpg) - mix between 70% highway and 30% city

In terms of power, I told Sam to tuned down since it was too much for daily driving and I don't like the fact that affected my mileage. If you like the power, DPF delete is the way to go.

Let me know if you need more information

BenzWorld25 08-02-2018 06:17 PM


Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan (Post 7445577)
Hi,

So far, no complaint except for little diesel smell. The mileage seems the same, i was expecting to get little better, but it didn't happen. I will do more test once the weather are more stable. The other thing I notice is that I get a lot of white smoke whenever I first start the vehicle. It doesn't really brother me now. I did find a solution for the white smoke by adding the power stroke diesel additive. The best part after the deleting is that no longer needs to worry the emission system fail, like DPF issues, nox sensors fail, def pump malfunction, that really takes the stress off from my mind.

Here are my personal mileage data after deleted

Best mileage ever got: .5.2L/100km (45mpg) - Highway only with 100km speed
Average highway mileage 6.0L /100km (39mpg) - Highway speed 110-120 average
Average City and highway 6.5L/100km (36mpg) - mix between 70% highway and 30% city

In terms of power, I told Sam to tuned down since it was too much for daily driving and I don't like the fact that affected my mileage. If you like the power, DPF delete is the way to go.

Let me know if you need more information

Hi OP. Thank you for the info you provided in this thread.
I purchased my car about 3 months ago. During this time, the glk250 have spent more time at the dealer than on my driveway. I'm going have this done to mitigate all the headaches associated with this car DPF, and Adblue property. I have a few questions for you. Any help are greatly appreciated.

1. Is it possible to just have the DPF delete kit without having the stage 2 tune or is it all or non and not a la carte?
2. Did they have to fabricate some parts for your exhaust after removing the Catylic converter and such?
3. Did they end up removing the DEF tank or is it still in there and just not functional?

GLK Super Fan 08-03-2018 10:57 PM


Originally Posted by BenzWorld25 (Post 7519277)
Hi OP. Thank you for the info you provided in this thread.
I purchased my car about 3 months ago. During this time, the glk250 have spent more time at the dealer than on my driveway. I'm going have this done to mitigate all the headaches associated with this car DPF, and Adblue property. I have a few questions for you. Any help are greatly appreciated.

1. Is it possible to just have the DPF delete kit without having the stage 2 tune or is it all or non and not a la carte?
2. Did they have to fabricate some parts for your exhaust after removing the Catylic converter and such?
3. Did they end up removing the DEF tank or is it still in there and just not functional?

1) I dont think so, because you will have all sorts of engine code after you delete your DPF. You can get a tune close to the factory setting , like similar power and torque.
2) The DPF kit is bolt on and completely reverse able. If one day you decide to sell the car, all you have to do is pay labour and reverse the DPF system
3) No, they did not remove the DEF tank. Mine just sit there. If you want, you can get it remove, it just a lot more labour.

If you have anymore questions, I will suggest you contact Sam @ECU tuning in Calgary. They are really good and knowledgeable in terms of our diesel engine.

BenzWorld25 08-04-2018 11:15 PM


Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan (Post 7520407)
1) I dont think so, because you will have all sorts of engine code after you delete your DPF. You can get a tune close to the factory setting , like similar power and torque.
2) The DPF kit is bolt on and completely reverse able. If one day you decide to sell the car, all you have to do is pay labour and reverse the DPF system
3) No, they did not remove the DEF tank. Mine just sit there. If you want, you can get it remove, it just a lot more labour.

If you have anymore questions, I will suggest you contact Sam @ECU tuning in Calgary. They are really good and knowledgeable in terms of our diesel engine.

I did speak with Sam a few days back. He suggested that I sent him the Ecu to have it tune and have my local mechanic here finish up the delete. While it is about 22 hrs for me to drive to Calgary, I'm quite a bit nervous going the route Sam suggested. Trying to weight out my options whether to make the long drive and get it done right the 1st time or take a chance with the local (not great) mechanics here.

GLK Super Fan 08-04-2018 11:34 PM

If it only 22 hr drive, i will do the drive for sure. Since Sam is very knowledgeable and he done it before. So the chance for him to **** up are probably alot less. Take a trip to banff, it super nice :)

kifaru 08-05-2018 11:43 AM

Hi I have been looking into this for a while have decided to go with calgary autoworks they do malone tunning they recommend stage 1 for daily lifetime tune and can delete egr add blue and do if you wish a custome exhaust. just waiting to get the funds together then will pull the trigger.

BenzWorld25 08-08-2018 11:08 AM


Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan (Post 7521089)
If it only 22 hr drive, i will do the drive for sure. Since Sam is very knowledgeable and he done it before. So the chance for him to **** up are probably alot less. Take a trip to banff, it super nice :)

Haha..maybe i'm a wimp but a 22 hrs drive one way is no joke. I spoke to Sam and he said he would need the car for about 2 days. That meant the whole trip to get this thing done will required me to take a week off work. I will eventually do it, just not possible at the moment. I did found a reset plug on Ebay for around $350 after shipping. That will be my quick fix right now to get the car back on the road.

A question for you. Have you done an oil change on your Glk250 after the delete? If so did you use a different grade of oil since the Dpf compatible no longer an issue? Thanks again. Your thread made a huge different for my journey with this car.

GLK Super Fan 08-08-2018 01:44 PM

I still use the same grade of oil from dealership. Still doing it every 15k km. Honestly, after the car got the delete done, it feels like a normal gas car. I think the glk 250 can easily last for 300 000 km with the delete done. I am at 134 000 km now. So far, i am able to change oil myself , clean the k&n filter, clean the maf sensor, change diesel fuel filter, change transmission fluid. How many miles u have on urs? u don't want to put too much miles on it before u do the delete since the carbon will buils up

check this video out

https://youtu.be/84JbvXvnrDA

BenzWorld25 08-09-2018 02:51 PM


Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan (Post 7523947)
I still use the same grade of oil from dealership. Still doing it every 15k km. Honestly, after the car got the delete done, it feels like a normal gas car. I think the glk 250 can easily last for 300 000 km with the delete done. I am at 134 000 km now. So far, i am able to change oil myself , clean the k&n filter, clean the maf sensor, change diesel fuel filter, change transmission fluid. How many miles u have on urs? u don't want to put too much miles on it before u do the delete since the carbon will buils up

check this video out

https://youtu.be/84JbvXvnrDA

Currently 66,000 miles(106,000 km) on the cluster. I might be okay since the whole DPF system is still functional minus the Nox sensors. Dealers around me wanted $2,400(USD) to replace the sensors; seems pretty outrageous to me. The plug I ordered gets here tomorrow. All it does is it will let me reset the Starts Remaining count down message. Currently have 1 Start left render the car useless for the last few days. I bought this car as a birthday gift for my mom.I don't know what I was thinking but thank god I found this thread after endless research after keep having to take it to Benz dealership. The car was there 5 times in 3 months.

Btw, what scanner tool did you used to reset your maintenance light after the oil change or does that issue exist? I can't even get my Windshield washer fluids light to shut off with this car. I read somewhere on this forum that you have to use a certain brand of fluids otherwise it will not work. Seem highly excessive for washer fluids.

GLK Super Fan 08-09-2018 04:48 PM

Ok to bypass the adblue count down, you can try this method

https://youtu.be/yVN8fbLGFjg

This one does not require any tools or obd2 to reset it

For oil change interval or service reset, you can follow this video

https://youtu.be/k4KymF6Z5XU

For your windshield washer fluid low, that one i am suspected faulty sensor, i never have problem with mine(knock on the wood). I will go search around on google and see what other plp say about it

Joe77 12-28-2018 10:38 PM

BenzWorld25; Please tell me more about the "PLUG" . Just paid big box for the "starts remaining". The dealer replaced 2 NOX sensors.

Joe77 12-28-2018 10:41 PM

GLK Super Fan; Just wondering how is the modified GLK running ?

GLK Super Fan 12-29-2018 12:56 AM


Originally Posted by Joe77 (Post 7640748)
GLK Super Fan; Just wondering how is the modified GLK running ?

Awesome :) 147XXX km now

Joe77 12-29-2018 05:32 AM

Probably you read my thread. What do you suggest?

GLK Super Fan 12-29-2018 05:31 PM


Originally Posted by Joe77 (Post 7640870)
Probably you read my thread. What do you suggest?

No idea what u talking about. what thread?

mrtoofay 01-19-2019 05:58 PM

So.. Forgive me if this has been addressed. If I'd follow the foodsteps of the OP, is there anyway this can pass California smog test? I mean, nowadays, smog test consists of a visual inspection and as long as the OBDII port is not throwing any codes, it's considered a pass. Sounds like it's passable. with an updated ECU.

formerjeepguy 01-19-2019 07:15 PM


Originally Posted by mrtoofay (Post 7658689)
So.. Forgive me if this has been addressed. If I'd follow the foodsteps of the OP, is there anyway this can pass California smog test? I mean, nowadays, smog test consists of a visual inspection and as long as the OBDII port is not throwing any codes, it's considered a pass. Sounds like it's passable. with an updated ECU.

Yes it was addressed and no this modification will not pass a smog test.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:33 AM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands