MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLK-Class (X204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204-94/)
-   -   Finally got it done - GLK250 DPF/SCR Deleted and EGR disabled (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204/697383-finally-got-done-glk250-dpf-scr-deleted-egr-disabled.html)

GLK Super Fan 01-19-2019 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by mrtoofay (Post 7658689)
So.. Forgive me if this has been addressed. If I'd follow the foodsteps of the OP, is there anyway this can pass California smog test? I mean, nowadays, smog test consists of a visual inspection and as long as the OBDII port is not throwing any codes, it's considered a pass. Sounds like it's passable. with an updated ECU.

No idea about the california smok test, but there are no codes after the ecu update. The thing is, you can smell the diesel after completed the delete, but no black smoke for me so far.

Gazwould 01-20-2019 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by formerjeepguy (Post 7658738)
Yes it was addressed and no this modification will not pass a smog test.

What's the smog test ?

t_dickie 01-28-2019 03:52 PM

Did you do the removal of the DPF and everything underneath yourself, or did the place you took it do everything? Was this the delete pipe you used?

https://www.tunemyeuro.com/mercedes-...-2017-buzzken/

I'm keenly keeping an eye on this thread, my gf just bought a 2015 end of December and it's been to the dealership twice already with DEF issues. Froze up twice now. Once when we were on our way to the dealership for unrelated warranty work. Then again coming home that same day. AdBlue count down came on, but wouldn't reset itself (not sure if it should) once I got it inside at my work for a day and a half. We're both getting frustrated with the DEF freezing, and with the temps in store for us (-25 or so daytime highs) I don't see it suddenly working smooth. I'm in Manitoba, so Calgary is an easy trip, could visit some friends and get two birds stoned at once.

Seems like a great vehicle other than the DEF/DPF/SCR system. Seems way more finicky than that of the North American manufacturers in the HD pickups.

GLK Super Fan 01-28-2019 03:57 PM

I am not sure if that the same kit i used on my glk. You have to give Sam a call. The price i paid included installation and tuning. Depending on how you want to tune ur vehicle, u may have to stay a few days

t_dickie 01-28-2019 05:33 PM

No problem.

When you say it has a diesel smell after, how bad are we talking?

GLK Super Fan 01-30-2019 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by t_dickie (Post 7666609)
No problem.

When you say it has a diesel smell after, how bad are we talking?

Hmm you will notice the smell when you first start the vehicle, special in winter time. after that, you wont smell any diesel.

dzl_benz 01-31-2019 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by t_dickie (Post 7666487)
Did you do the removal of the DPF and everything underneath yourself, or did the place you took it do everything? Was this the delete pipe you used?

https://www.tunemyeuro.com/mercedes-...-2017-buzzken/

I'm keenly keeping an eye on this thread, my gf just bought a 2015 end of December and it's been to the dealership twice already with DEF issues. Froze up twice now. Once when we were on our way to the dealership for unrelated warranty work. Then again coming home that same day. AdBlue count down came on, but wouldn't reset itself (not sure if it should) once I got it inside at my work for a day and a half. We're both getting frustrated with the DEF freezing, and with the temps in store for us (-25 or so daytime highs) I don't see it suddenly working smooth. I'm in Manitoba, so Calgary is an easy trip, could visit some friends and get two birds stoned at once.

Seems like a great vehicle other than the DEF/DPF/SCR system. Seems way more finicky than that of the North American manufacturers in the HD pickups.

Perhaps your DEF tank heater is on its last leg? You are in Manitoba so winter cold snaps could be even worse than in Calgary. My 2015 GLK2 was parked outside at -25C last winter and started right up in the morning without any warnings... but then my charge air temp sensor froze, throwing the truck into a limp mode. Took a while to thaw it in the mall's underground parking :)

There is an aftermarket replacement here: https://xemodex.ca/ca/product/def-ta...s-benz-glk250/ . I haven't tried it though, OEM still works "knock on wood".

t_dickie 02-01-2019 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by dzl_benz (Post 7668895)
Perhaps your DEF tank heater is on its last leg? You are in Manitoba so winter cold snaps could be even worse than in Calgary. My 2015 GLK2 was parked outside at -25C last winter and started right up in the morning without any warnings... but then my charge air temp sensor froze, throwing the truck into a limp mode. Took a while to thaw it in the mall's underground parking :)

There is an aftermarket replacement here: https://xemodex.ca/ca/product/def-ta...s-benz-glk250/ . I haven't tried it though, OEM still works "knock on wood".

It was weak, but the dealer replaced it on the 18th the first time it froze up on us.

Just went to the dealership today to pick up the GLK, really wasn't impressed with the answers they gave me. They're very helpful and at least seemed genuinely concerned and interested in helping make things right, but the emissions system sounds absolutely terrible on these vehicles. Basically every time it freezes up, if it gets to the point where the start counter comes on, it MUST go back to the dealership to be reset. The vehicle can't tell the system is thawed out, the tank heater does not have enough power to thaw the tank, and it only runs when the car is running. When I mentioned a delete they their answer was basically "we'll pretend we didn't hear that" and were super non committal when it came to answering how a delete would impact any future warranty claims.

dzl_benz 02-04-2019 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by t_dickie (Post 7670617)
It was weak, but the dealer replaced it on the 18th the first time it froze up on us.

Just went to the dealership today to pick up the GLK, really wasn't impressed with the answers they gave me. They're very helpful and at least seemed genuinely concerned and interested in helping make things right, but the emissions system sounds absolutely terrible on these vehicles. Basically every time it freezes up, if it gets to the point where the start counter comes on, it MUST go back to the dealership to be reset. The vehicle can't tell the system is thawed out, the tank heater does not have enough power to thaw the tank, and it only runs when the car is running. When I mentioned a delete they their answer was basically "we'll pretend we didn't hear that" and were super non committal when it came to answering how a delete would impact any future warranty claims.

Did you hear what happened to VW? Dieselgate? They ( any German car manufacturer of consumer diesels) are all super touchy-feely now 😂 That’s probably why such reaction to your question.

The emissions system is just too complex and fragile for our -25C and below winter temps. They need to beef it up for Canada-spec cars. Not just slap block heater on it.

I wonder if there is a way to reset counter via iCarSoft MB tool? There is also engineering menu - I think you can get to it via pressing and holding 1+ #+ hang up buttons at the center console. Don’t know if they have anything there, related to start counter reset.

C300fan2 02-06-2019 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by dzl_benz (Post 7672662)

Did you hear what happened to VW? Dieselgate? They ( any German car manufacturer of consumer diesels) are all super touchy-feely now 😂 That’s probably why such reaction to your question.

The emissions system is just to complex and fragile for our -25C and below winter temps. They need to beef it up for Canada-spec cars. Not just slap block heater on it.

I wonder if there is a way to reset counter via iCarSoft MB tool? There is also engineering menu - I think you can get to it via pressing and holding 1+ #+ hang up buttons at the center console. Don’t know if they have anything there, related to start counter reset.

yes both icarsoft and carly for iPhone you can reset the codes and counter.

abemiami 04-14-2019 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all, great post, I wish I would have seen it before when my car first started asking for oil out of no where, and just like quron_southwest mentioned at the beginning of this thread, it started with 1 qt every 1000 miles down to a qt every 200 miles.
At this point and after reading all this, I will definitely opt for the DPF removal and ECU mod, but I'm going to have the existing DPF re-installed after opening it removing the guts, that way I will keep the same look as OEM, what do you think?
The muffler has the DPF and the Catalytic converter, the bypass pipe quron_southwest got is for both or just the DPF?
I will be having the muffler and ECU removed tomorrow and shipped same day if possible, any input will greatly appreciated, thank you.

GLK Super Fan 04-14-2019 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by abemiami (Post 7731933)
Hello all, great post, I wish I would have seen it before when my car first started asking for oil out of no where, and just like quron_southwest mentioned at the beginning of this thread, it started with 1 qt every 1000 miles down to a qt every 200 miles.
At this point and after reading all this, I will definitely opt for the DPF removal and ECU mod, but I'm going to have the existing DPF re-installed after opening it removing the guts, that way I will keep the same look as OEM, what do you think?
The muffler has the DPF and the Catalytic converter, the bypass pipe quron_southwest got is for both or just the DPF?
I will be having the muffler and ECU removed tomorrow and shipped same day if possible, any input will greatly appreciated, thank you.

Just want to let you know that mine is glk250, ur is glk 350, u do not have a dpf in the gas model

adobian 04-21-2019 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by mrtoofay (Post 7658689)
So.. Forgive me if this has been addressed. If I'd follow the foodsteps of the OP, is there anyway this can pass California smog test? I mean, nowadays, smog test consists of a visual inspection and as long as the OBDII port is not throwing any codes, it's considered a pass. Sounds like it's passable. with an updated ECU.

I am in California. I was wondering about this too.

I figure all you have to do is gutting out the DPF and put it back so it looks all the same. The rest is just the ECU tuning or the emulator board.

Could someone confirm this ?

GLK Super Fan 04-21-2019 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by adobian (Post 7737902)
I am in California. I was wondering about this too.

I figure all you have to do is gutting out the DPF and put it back so it looks all the same. The rest is just the ECU tuning or the emulator board.

Could someone confirm this ?

Not Just the dpf, u have also remove the SCR. There is a dpf kit u can get. I got mine from ecutune for approximately $850, can't really remember the price.

adobian 04-21-2019 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan (Post 7737906)
Not Just the dpf, u have also remove the SCR. There is a dpf kit u can get. I got mine from ecutune for approximately $850, can't really remember the price.

Thanks for the pointer. I can't go to the website ecutune.com for some reasons.
Anyway, I keep seeing a pipe for deleting DPF that cost a lot of money. If I plan to just gut out the DPF and put back the empty shell, I don't need to buy that pipe, correct ?

GLK Super Fan 04-22-2019 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by adobian (Post 7737921)
Thanks for the pointer. I can't go to the website ecutune.com for some reasons.
Anyway, I keep seeing a pipe for deleting DPF that cost a lot of money. If I plan to just gut out the DPF and put back the empty shell, I don't need to buy that pipe, correct ?

Hi, sorry i reviewed my initial post and realized the shop call Ecuprogram, if u search Ecuprogram Calgary @ google.ca, u should be able to locate the website and contact the shop.

To be honest, if u think $800 for the parts is expansive, u should switch to gas model. U have to remove the SCR, which is part of the bluetec system. If u have one Nox sensor fail and needs to replace at the dealership, which is about $800.

adobian 04-22-2019 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan (Post 7738261)
Hi, sorry i reviewed my initial post and realized the shop call Ecuprogram, if u search Ecuprogram Calgary @ google.ca, u should be able to locate the website and contact the shop.

To be honest, if u think $800 for the parts is expansive, u should switch to gas model. U have to remove the SCR, which is part of the bluetec system. If u have one Nox sensor fail and needs to replace at the dealership, which is about $800.

I do not mind paying $800. But I am still learning, and I have read something like $1000-$2000 for ECU or emulator board and another $1000-$2000 for a straight pipe. That's why I asked if I could just gut the DPF and mount the empty shell without paying for the straight pipe.
So what you are saying is $800 is the total kit for ECU tuning/Emulator as well as a pipe ? Please clarify. Thanks.

GLK Super Fan 04-22-2019 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by adobian (Post 7738313)
I do not mind paying $800. But I am still learning, and I have read something like $1000-$2000 for ECU or emulator board and another $1000-$2000 for a straight pipe. That's why I asked if I could just gut the DPF and mount the empty shell without paying for the straight pipe.
So what you are saying is $800 is the total kit for ECU tuning/Emulator as well as a pipe ? Please clarify. Thanks.

The kit is around is around 800, and u r correct, the tune is 1100 and approximately 5hrs of labor for install the kit. Please note, our diesel cannot be tine by OBD2, that why is more expensive. I think this is probably the best 2.5k i ever spent since my glk250 now has almost 160 000km with zero emissions issues after the delete is completed.

adobian 04-23-2019 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan (Post 7738606)
The kit is around is around 800, and u r correct, the tune is 1100 and approximately 5hrs of labor for install the kit. Please note, our diesel cannot be tine by OBD2, that why is more expensive. I think this is probably the best 2.5k i ever spent since my glk250 now has almost 160 000km with zero emissions issues after the delete is completed.

Sorry, I still haven't grasp the picture. Ok I understand the tuning part where you have to fix the ECU to.bypass DPF SCR DEF checking. Did you use an emulator board for it or just reprogramming ?

What are included in this DPF delete kit ? Is it just a pipe and mounting ? Can I just have the ECU tune and just gut out the existing DPF?

GLK Super Fan 04-23-2019 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by adobian (Post 7739621)
Sorry, I still haven't grasp the picture. Ok I understand the tuning part where you have to fix the ECU to.bypass DPF SCR DEF checking. Did you use an emulator board for it or just reprogramming ?

What are included in this DPF delete kit ? Is it just a pipe and mounting ? Can I just have the ECU tune and just gut out the existing DPF?

I think the replacement part for the dpf, new pipe to replace the scr and few more pipes . I am not sure if u can use the existing dpf.

In terms of programming the ecu, u have to contact Sam@ ECU program for more information. If you look back at the pictures that I posted, Sam used few wires to tap into the ECU and flashed with a software. I flashed ROMs in my cell phone and tablet before, but flashing the ecu seems a lot more scary and expensive to fix if something goes south. I can't imagine the replacement cost if u accidentally brick the ECU.

adobian 04-24-2019 12:00 PM

Does anyone know a way to increase the gas mileage of an R320 ? Could tuning do this ?

I am thinking of buying a used R320 CDI or Bluetec, then do a DPF delete, or just go with the boring Toyota Highlander hybrid

GLK Super Fan 04-24-2019 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by adobian (Post 7740560)
Does anyone know a way to increase the gas mileage of an R320 ? Could tuning do this ?

I am thinking of buying a used R320 CDI or Bluetec, then do a DPF delete, or just go with the boring Toyota Highlander hybrid

Tuning can help with better mileage. I was able to get my best mileage from 5.3l per 100km to 4.8l to 100km
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...d1c4e287c6.jpg

dzl_benz 06-17-2019 10:28 PM

These are awesome results! I had similar results (fuel mileage became much better) with Malone tuning stage 2... except it was on much lighter, FWD Golf TDI :P

Sébastien 06-25-2019 12:48 AM

Hi all, firts post here. I had the countdown started again this week... I'm sick of this system I'm gonna get rid of it too! I'm in touch with someone in my area well reknown for all kind of diesel tuning but I want to make the exhaust pipe myself. Anyone who's done the modification could you post pictures of the exhaust after the work was done on the car? I'm trying to find something to guide me in my fabrication process.

Thanks

watchinggoodman 06-27-2019 10:01 AM

In The Process of BUZZKEN and JR Delete

Don't know who's keeping up with this conversation but wanted to add some information.
I'm almost done with my DPF delete because I started getting repeated DPF codes and couldn't get the filter to respond to forced regenerations.
I went with the BuzzKen delete pipe and am VERY pleased with the fit and finish + Larry went out of his way to make the whole process painless.
Someone asked for photos so I included some.
I had JR in Canada do the remapping of the ECU and I can't say enough good about Justyna (for all I know she runs the company!) I had a 3 day nightmare with UPS (so send your ECU by Fedex). Justyna immediately responded to email, was on the phone dealing with UPS, texted, called - just a great gal. I haven't started the car yet but if the tune is anything like her customer service it will be wonderful.
Plan on a good 8 hours to do the delete and installation work with the biggest headache being securing the new pipe to the CAT with the Mercedes ring clamp - if you have 3 hands you will have no problem. Yes, the BuzzKen delete pipe leaves the Mercedes CAT (behind the turbo in place). Apparently CATs don't load up like the DPFs do and leaving it helps with the stink - we'll see on both accounts.
4 days for shipping and remapping if you do FEDEX overnight and shipping will cost you about $200. round-trip.
The delete pipe with (2) 2.5" band clamps from BuzzKen is $750. shipping included.
The ECU remapping from JR Performance was just over $1000.
Just got off the phone with JR - sent them an email and text about an EGR question - 10 minutes later they called to answer my question - that's service.
So the whole package cost me a litter better than 1/2 the price of replacement DPF.
I'll let you know the details after I start it later on today.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...4c13427484.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...8425d8e5ad.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...d5f83712ca.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...97a21d8bd3.jpg