MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLK-Class (X204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204-94/)
-   -   Finally got it done - GLK250 DPF/SCR Deleted and EGR disabled (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class-x204/697383-finally-got-done-glk250-dpf-scr-deleted-egr-disabled.html)

GLK Super Fan 06-27-2019 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by watchinggoodman (Post 7789335)
Don't know who's keeping up with this conversation but wanted to add some information.
I'm almost done with my DPF delete because I started getting repeated DPF codes and couldn't get the filter to respond to forced regenerations.
I went with the BuzzKen delete pipe and am VERY pleased with the fit and finish + Larry went out of his way to make the whole process painless.
Someone asked for photos so I included some.
I had JR in Canada do the remapping of the ECU and I can't say enough good about Justyna (for all I know she runs the company!) I had a 3 day nightmare with UPS (so send your ECU by Fedex). Justyna immediately responded to email, was on the phone dealing with UPS, texted, called - just a great gal. I haven't started the car yet but if the tune is anything like her customer service it will be wonderful.
Plan on a good 8 hours to do the delete and installation work with the biggest headache being securing the new pipe to the CAT with the Mercedes ring clamp - if you have 3 hands you will have no problem. Yes, the BuzzKen delete pipe leaves the Mercedes CAT (behind the turbo in place). Apparently CATs don't load up like the DPFs do and leaving it helps with the stink - we'll see on both accounts.
4 days for shipping and remapping if you do FEDEX overnight and shipping will cost you about $200. round-trip.
The delete pipe with (2) 2.5" band clamps from BuzzKen is $750. shipping included.
The ECU remapping from JR Performance was just over $1000.
Just got off the phone with JR - sent them an email and text about an EGR question - 10 minutes later they called to answer my question - that's service.
So the whole package cost me a litter better than 1/2 the price of replacement DPF.
I'll let you know the details after I start it later on today.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...4c13427484.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...8425d8e5ad.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...d5f83712ca.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...97a21d8bd3.jpg

Yours looks identical to mine, even the price are very close to the same. You are correct with the CAT, i still have my factory CAT on mine to reduce the smell of diesel. The only thing doing remotely is you may get a CEL and have to send back the ECU to the tuner.

Sam, the guy helped me tuned my GLK250 offered few different types of tune for me to try it. I was really appreciated him for letting me try it since there was no additional charge to it.

Do you know what kind of tune u getting it? do you wany more power or better fuel efficiency?

andreigbs 06-28-2019 12:25 PM

I think I need to plan a roadtrip to Canada. Would be nice to come back with more power AND better fuel efficiency, both of which are likely when you tune a turbodiesel.

Simon Galarneau 07-06-2019 11:38 PM

Gentlemen, I'll call Sam. It is definitively a no brainer. I seen all the troubles you guys went through and yesterday I did a Service A2 at Lone Star Mercedes benz and they suggested that I do a test drive(because they did reset the yellow engine light telling that it was my DPF that was maybe just clogged or faulty inside) so I had to rune 20-25 minutes on the highway to clear it. Went to canmore with the girlfriend and boom again... light is on.

Very satisfy with their service but the estimate to fix it is.... 2056.57$, I'll need to fix it again later with the Nos and the sensor.... no way.

Plan B : I'll call Sam and keep you in the loop. I'll take bunch of picture and explain like GLK SUPER FAN did.

Any details or questions: Simon.Galarneau.27@gmail.com

I'm in Calgary downtown.
If anyone want to do it to, we could group up and get a deal with Sam.

*** Out of topic *** I got a story I can give you but later maybe.. arrrr why not now:

Break disk and out side province inspection. Failed inspection due to Disk break with tiny groove.

-BTW, break Disc used for sell, kinda brand new, just have few groove that can be Remove with a Grinder and be just fine, Quebec(Sherbrooke dealer ship Mercedes benz) has receive a bad batch of break Pads with bigger pieces of metal chunks that allow to break harder, as they say, but create grooves in the disk and make your break yell at every stop sign you do. A NON FREAKING SENSE!!!! They changed the Disc twice with the same problem without acknowledgement and pretended it's was normal. Dumbs dumbs.... You heard a lot of brand new car 70 000 $$$ Audi, BMW, LEXUS, Cadillac yelling at each stop sign ? hell no. If it's your case fight it! I won twice and the third time I called Mercedes benz Canada to get a answer, they hided behind the dealer ship because he's the biggest seller in Quebec province. Outrageous.

Simon Galarneau 07-08-2019 11:23 AM

I got the Appointment right away with Sam, I'll leave the car for 2 days. Estimate 21 hundred $

Not bad. Same estimate as the dealership but.. Dealership will always find more pieces without telling you that required to fix more due to that and that...

I'll update later after done.

GLK Super Fan 07-08-2019 12:08 PM

Good for u man :)

Simon Galarneau 07-08-2019 12:09 PM

Honestly thanks to you for all the hard work to figure it out for everyone. I give you all the credit.

Simon Galarneau 07-10-2019 03:29 PM

Sam is working on it, I'll get it by next Monday, Gf will pick it up. 2100$ I'll unfortunately be gone on vacation for a week, and come back on next week, the 23. I'll drive test the baby and keep you in the loop. I'll take picture of Pieces removed and the new kit installed.

Peace out.

DisorderlyToast 07-25-2019 11:16 AM

Company Concerns

I am about 1 year into ownership of my 250 and 2 DEF system related issues deep already. Living in rural Texas, emission standards are not a concern and therefore deleting the whole system is my go to plan. The only issue I have is I want to make sure I'm using a reputable company. Anyone here have any knowledge of stateside ECU reflash companies? I'm looking at tunemyeuro.com currently, who sells the buzzken physical bypass and does the reflash themselves (I believe)....just wondering if anyone has heard anything good or bad about them. If it helps, I know they were formerly known as AARodriguez Corp...

Thanks!

andreigbs 07-25-2019 12:05 PM

Not sure I've heard of them, but you can also look up Malone Tuning for dealers near you. I think they have software options for our OM651 engines.

GLK Super Fan 07-26-2019 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by DisorderlyToast (Post 7811883)
I am about 1 year into ownership of my 250 and 2 DEF system related issues deep already. Living in rural Texas, emission standards are not a concern and therefore deleting the whole system is my go to plan. The only issue I have is I want to make sure I'm using a reputable company. Anyone here have any knowledge of stateside ECU reflash companies? I'm looking at tunemyeuro.com currently, who sells the buzzken physical bypass and does the reflash themselves (I believe)....just wondering if anyone has heard anything good or bad about them. If it helps, I know they were formerly known as AARodriguez Corp...

Thanks!

I think there is a new OBDII for the delete, but that will eventually clog up the dpf and exhaust components since none of the emission stuff will be remove. I will give a call to Sam and ask about the new OBDII delete. From what i know, he at least done a few glk dpf delete now.

Hondo78 07-29-2019 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by formerjeepguy (Post 7373179)
I read this with mixed feelings. On the one hand the emissions system on these diesels is expensive, complex, susceptible to failures and chokes overall performance. On the other hand it does keep toxic emissions out of the air that we breathe.

I commend you technical achievement and condemn your added pollution.

You must not have to face regular emissions inspections where you are.

Former Jeeper- "I commend you technical achievement and condemn your added pollution"
Please note: The EPA world is guided by a panel with two oil company executives on the board, don't condemn with what is a popular trend. I lived the 1970's oil embargoes 30 miles east of San Francisco, a time before working from home, it was a time of get to work or loose your job. Also that was a time with the fear of "Global Cooling", (Look it up, Dan Rather)
I have four diesels and will have five soon, they are the future, be it with a different fuel supplier possibly. If I do not find a fix for the count down to death issue", my spouses R350 will be a 5300lb paperweight, I have been fleeced by the Penske Owned MBZ Stealership network some three times, I don't wish to do it again. They are poorly staffed, trained and put their own time concerns ahead of mine, so I chose to opt out. This does not mean I will stop putting in Ad-blue, it simply means both wagons will start when I take a drive to remote destinations and still get me home.
I work in down town San Francisco, I almost never drive. I listen to Diesel hater and carbon rhetoric like a Jew in Nazi Germany EVERY DAY, I keep my opinions to myself.

One thing to note, during post "Embargo years" every manufacturer soon offered a diesel engine, one mining firm cam into my work and bought 10,000 brass flush head fasteners, for some former military 1.5 ton trucks used under ground, the conversation led to an interesting story. This mining firm, working solely under ground, had purchased 100 GM 6.2 diesel engines for re-powering their fleet. OSHA approved the use of these engines in an enclosed area for humans to breath! So either OSHA, myself or you don't really know the impact on the human landscape. Perhaps this is just more Carbon reduction rhetoric, and aimed at me, and all the while Al Gore and all of congress and all the haters in San Francisco jump on a jet every Friday to go visit beautiful places, I'd guess to intentionally pollute these pristine locations.

Note: I don't think you were seriously Condemning anyone, (Or do you have a stone in your hand now?);=D

Just remember never underestimate the shear "Stupidity of humans in groups", these Mobs can convince the strongest individuals to do great harm to others, in the name of saving the heard.

formerjeepguy 07-29-2019 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Hondo78 (Post 7815001)
Former Jeeper- "I commend you technical achievement and condemn your added pollution"
Please note: The EPA world is guided by a panel with two oil company executives on the board, don't condemn with what is a popular trend. I lived the 1970's oil embargoes 30 miles east of San Francisco, a time before working from home, it was a time of get to work or loose your job. Also that was a time with the fear of "Global Cooling", (Look it up, Dan Rather)
I have four diesels and will have five soon, they are the future, be it with a different fuel supplier possibly. If I do not find a fix for the count down to death issue", my spouses R350 will be a 5300lb paperweight, I have been fleeced by the Penske Owned MBZ Stealership network some three times, I don't wish to do it again. They are poorly staffed, trained and put their own time concerns ahead of mine, so I chose to opt out. This does not mean I will stop putting in Ad-blue, it simply means both wagons will start when I take a drive to remote destinations and still get me home.
I work in down town San Francisco, I almost never drive. I listen to Diesel hater and carbon rhetoric like a Jew in Nazi Germany EVERY DAY, I keep my opinions to myself.

One thing to note, during post "Embargo years" every manufacturer soon offered a diesel engine, one mining firm cam into my work and bought 10,000 brass flush head fasteners, for some former military 1.5 ton trucks used under ground, the conversation led to an interesting story. This mining firm, working solely under ground, had purchased 100 GM 6.2 diesel engines for re-powering their fleet. OSHA approved the use of these engines in an enclosed area for humans to breath! So either OSHA, myself or you don't really know the impact on the human landscape. Perhaps this is just more Carbon reduction rhetoric, and aimed at me, and all the while Al Gore and all of congress and all the haters in San Francisco jump on a jet every Friday to go visit beautiful places, I'd guess to intentionally pollute these pristine locations.

Note: I don't think you were seriously Condemning anyone, (Or do you have a stone in your hand now?);=D

Just remember never underestimate the shear "Stupidity of humans in groups", these Mobs can convince the strongest individuals to do great harm to others, in the name of saving the heard.

I'm not quite sure what you mean with this semi-coherent rambling. I think you disapprove of regulation on diesel emissions. If you do feel that way then by all means go ahead and breathe all the diesel fumes you want. I will believe the science that tells us that diesel particulate and nox emissions kill people by interfering with their respiratory systems. But you don't have to - you can believe whatever you want. Have a good day.

C300fan2 07-29-2019 03:18 PM

I had trouble following that rant as well.

andreigbs 07-31-2019 11:01 AM

I will believe the science that tells us that diesel particulate and nox emissions kill people by interfering with their respiratory systems.

Science is not a belief system, let's make sure we get that clear. It is merely a human tool used to study and learn things. Science can, and has been, misused at times and is often just plainly misunderstood.

I have yet to read any conclusive, repeatable and reliable scientific evidence whereby diesel exhaust was directly responsible for the death of any groups of people. It is a regulation issue much more than it is a health issue.

I believe emissions should be federally regulated and that the EPA should be the only agency to create and maintain these regulations, where appropriate.

Compared to gasoline-powered vehicles, diesel-powered passenger vehicles account for (maybe, at most) 5% of all new vehicles sold in the U.S.

If you have breathing problems, diesel vehicles are not your primary concern or contributing factor. And the heavy-duty industrial diesels like class 8 semis have been emissions-regulated since about 2007.

Again, let's keep things in perspective.

formerjeepguy 07-31-2019 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by andreigbs (Post 7816774)

Science is not a belief system, let's make sure we get that clear. It is merely a human tool used to study and learn things. Science can, and has been, misused at times and is often just plainly misunderstood.

I have yet to read any conclusive, repeatable and reliable scientific evidence whereby diesel exhaust was directly responsible for the death of any groups of people. It is a regulation issue much more than it is a health issue.

I believe emissions should be federally regulated and that the EPA should be the only agency to create and maintain these regulations, where appropriate.

Compared to gasoline-powered vehicles, diesel-powered passenger vehicles account for (maybe, at most) 5% of all new vehicles sold in the U.S.

If you have breathing problems, diesel vehicles are not your primary concern or contributing factor. And the heavy-duty industrial diesels like class 8 semis have been emissions-regulated since about 2007.

Again, let's keep things in perspective.

https://phys.org/news/2019-02-pollut...ed-diesel.html

https://lae.mit.edu/2018/09/24/new-l...mature-deaths/

https://www.newscientist.com/article...-than-thought/

Again, you can believe what you want to and have a good day.

andreigbs 07-31-2019 03:18 PM

As pointed out elsewhere, this report includes no observational data, actual emissions measurements or vehicle testing results to validate its various assumptions.

No evidence of deaths due to diesel exhaust emissions here either, but "the researchers predict these excess emissions will have a significant health impact, causing approximately 2,700 premature deaths per year across Europe."
No follow-up documentation to prove this prediction is available.

While "excess emissions of harmful nitrogen oxide (NOx) exhaust gases can be linked to 38,000 premature deaths worldwide," correlation is not causation. Any good scientist will recognize this.
Moreover, researchers "used computer modelling and satellite data to simulate the effect of excess NOx pollution on health, crops and the climate."
No actual deaths counted, confirmed or otherwise. Just more dire predictions.

Again, you can believe what you want to and have a good day.
Oh I will, no worries there. And same to you :wavey: Let's agree to disagree.

formerjeepguy 07-31-2019 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by andreigbs (Post 7817039)

Oh I will, no worries there. And same to you :wavey: Let's agree to disagree.

:) Ok.

mysterysi 08-14-2019 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Simon Galarneau (Post 7799645)
Sam is working on it, I'll get it by next Monday, Gf will pick it up. 2100$ I'll unfortunately be gone on vacation for a week, and come back on next week, the 23. I'll drive test the baby and keep you in the loop. I'll take picture of Pieces removed and the new kit installed.

Peace out.

Any update? Seriously thinking about DPF delete.

DisorderlyToast 08-14-2019 01:04 PM

Pulled the trigger

I finally pulled the trigger last week. Is shipped and on the way here now. I guess the pipe comes from Canada and then I mail the ECU to Georgia and then hope for the best lol... We shall see.

ronwp 08-19-2019 02:58 PM

Any News as to how it went? Photos Etc.

Simon Galarneau 08-19-2019 05:04 PM

Hey folks, Unbelievable! Left it there Friday afternoon. Ready by Tuesday. 2100 $

1 Little hick! I ask to give back all pieces, and as you notice there are several location where sensor are supposed to be, SAM took them and kept them. Probably worth a fortune for him, and for you if you manage to sell them your self on kijiji like i was planning on.. but he kept them. Probably worth dealing price lower if he doesn't keep them.( 300 - 400 $ lower )
But the job is perfect!
I hit on the highway to jasper(in the mountains), 5.4 and in town around 6.2 per 100k
Bit louder , but really just a bit, No smell at all like previous people mentioned.
I got to say tho. I put on each refill of the gas tank( Diesel additive ). I believe it is damn efficient. 2 shooter glass size each refill, and during winter I use the same white bottle.
Not as mention previously, loooooots of power but you do feel a little more kick.
Since I got it done, I did a reset on the mileages and I'm at 5.9 combine with 2000 more done.

Call Sam. worth a "loooooooots" of headache saving on the long run. I looked at my old bills since I bought brand new the GLK, 2 Pieces already got fixed under warranty in the past and I'm at 103k so far. It would have cost less to do it in the first place when I bought it new and salvage and sell pieces online as used.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...647cb266cd.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...b0ba3d5150.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...c751a681ea.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...25006eaf30.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...406d3f3b59.jpg

mono4lamar 08-19-2019 10:43 PM

EDIT

mono4lamar 08-19-2019 10:49 PM

Is the second item (with the flexpipe) the DPF? I ask as I have two bulky drums. One is located in view of the engine bay and the second is more visible under the car (identical to the flexpipe unit you have).

I only ask as I'm going to remove it and have it cleaned. I only have this vehicle so I can't have it down for long. Is it possible because I'm a California resident that I have two DPF's?

Thanks for your help in advance. I've searched a lot online however, nobody has really documented this and the factory diagrams don't really call things out well.

GLK Super Fan 08-19-2019 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Simon Galarneau (Post 7832526)
Hey folks, Unbelievable! Left it there Friday afternoon. Ready by Tuesday. 2100 $

1 Little hick! I ask to give back all pieces, and as you notice there are several location where sensor are supposed to be, SAM took them and kept them. Probably worth a fortune for him, and for you if you manage to sell them your self on kijiji like i was planning on.. but he kept them. Probably worth dealing price lower if he doesn't keep them.( 300 - 400 $ lower )
But the job is perfect!
I hit on the highway to jasper(in the mountains), 5.4 and in town around 6.2 per 100k
Bit louder , but really just a bit, No smell at all like previous people mentioned.
I got to say tho. I put on each refill of the gas tank( Diesel additive ). I believe it is damn efficient. 2 shooter glass size each refill, and during winter I use the same white bottle.
Not as mention previously, loooooots of power but you do feel a little more kick.
Since I got it done, I did a reset on the mileages and I'm at 5.9 combine with 2000 more done.

Call Sam. worth a "loooooooots" of headache saving on the long run. I looked at my old bills since I bought brand new the GLK, 2 Pieces already got fixed under warranty in the past and I'm at 103k so far. It would have cost less to do it in the first place when I bought it new and salvage and sell pieces online as used.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...647cb266cd.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...b0ba3d5150.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...c751a681ea.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...25006eaf30.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...406d3f3b59.jpg

I am happy it worked out really good for u :) There are no reason not to go to Sam if u live in Calgary area or place without emission test. My best mileage so far was 4.8L/100km. The other day i had little bit fun wifh the SQ5, i was able to keep it up with him till about 100km, it like head to head. I am really impressed with the glk since mine has almost 160k km and the sq5 has over 300 hp.

Simon Galarneau 08-20-2019 11:00 AM

I believe the PDF is the big metallic part attack to the catalyst. No there no such thing as a double PDF. You got a heater right at the exit of the engine that heat up glowing red prior to get to the PDF, that must be what you see.