GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Canadian Class Action GLK 250

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 250, BMW 335d

Yesterday I received a letter that stated that all MB Bluetec vehicles and their owners are part of a class action for a defect or a defeat device that turns off the emission control system. One must opt out if you do not want to participate but otherwise Canadian owners are in. This somehow does not sound right and if there was such a system one would think that the folks at Transport Canada would be involved like they were with the US agency a la VW and their issue.
Any thoughts on this as I suspect that this could be the beginning of the end for our diesels. Personally I opted out as if there is a buy back I do not want to be tainted by this class action recoery if there ever will be one (you know who gets the majority of the payout and it is not the owner).
What do you think as supposedly this has been tried in the US without success?
Cheers
Old 05-26-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
That invitation is much the same as the class action suits in the US. You need to opt out in order for you to pursue your own claim personally or you could be estopped from your later independent action. I doubt it would affect the elimination of diesels any more than other factors involved for the lessening of pollution.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:27 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
I haven't received the letter, but did see it on-line. I wouldn't opt out of the class action unless you are either prepare to take on Mercedes yourself, or are prepared to forego any settlement that may result.

There is a problem with the emission systems. This was first discovered in Europe and has resulted in class actions in USA and Canada. The US action is, I believe, continuing. The initial one was thrown out because of a legal technicality.

The actual problem, is that the emission control system turns itself off at temperatures below 10C. In Canada, Europe and many parts of USA, that means that it does not work for as much as 1/2 the time. MB apparently met the required tests, but did not disclose that it would not have at all driving conditions.

We enjoy our 2014 GLK250 and will keep it for a while yet. If there is a VW like settlement, that would be a bonus! My neighbor got a new gas VW Golf SW for $3500 to replace his diesel golf.
The following users liked this post:
LGLK250 (10-04-2019)
Old 05-28-2018, 08:29 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2014 GLK250
Would you kindly post the letter?
Old 05-28-2018, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK250-BT
I received the same notice by email. MB Canada must have been obligated by the courts to provide customer contact information?

I will not be opting out of the claim as our GLKs will likely be devalued as a result of all the negative press associated with the diesel scandals. If MB misrepresented the emission results then they should compensate their customers. As I understand, the DEF system is programmed to shut off below 10C which likely means that any future fixes will result in more DEF usage for most owners in Canada.

I was averaging about one tank of DEF per year based on my driving habits and if the end result is that the vehicle will be using significantly more DEF, I will be selling my GLK as the hassle of having to fill up more often is not acceptable particularly given the location of the filling port in the trunk.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:11 AM

2013 GLK250-BT
This is the email notice I received:

Good day,

A Court authorized this notice - you are not being sued.

If you own, owned, lease, or leased one of the listed vehicles, a class action may affect your rights.

Please read the attached Legal Notice for more details.

Sincerely,

The Mercedes-Benz BlueTEC Class Action Administrator

Toll Free: 1-877-739-8933
Email: MercedesBluetecClassAction@crawco.ca
Web Site: www.MercedesBluetecClassAction.ca
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 05-28-2018, 12:59 PM

2014 GLK250
Originally Posted by symphony
I received the same notice by email. MB Canada must have been obligated by the courts to provide customer contact information?

I will not be opting out of the claim as our GLKs will likely be devalued as a result of all the negative press associated with the diesel scandals. If MB misrepresented the emission results then they should compensate their customers. As I understand, the DEF system is programmed to shut off below 10C which likely means that any future fixes will result in more DEF usage for most owners in Canada.

I was averaging about one tank of DEF per year based on my driving habits and if the end result is that the vehicle will be using significantly more DEF, I will be selling my GLK as the hassle of having to fill up more often is not acceptable particularly given the location of the filling port in the trunk.
Really? Lifting the trunk floor and removing the tools more than once a year too much of a hassle?
Old 05-28-2018, 02:01 PM

2013 GLK250-BT
Originally Posted by Hugo L.
Really? Lifting the trunk floor and removing the tools more than once a year too much of a hassle?
Yup accessing the filling port is a hassle for ME. I carry a spare strapped down in the trunk and don't feel like removing all the contents of the trunk while it's -30C.just to fill the DEF.
Speaking of the DEF system, it appears to me that stuffing a diesel in the GLK was probably an afterthought or how to you explain putting the DEF tank and filler port where the spare tire should be? In Canada they give you a can of tire sealer and a cheap compressor expecting that it should suffice as a spare tire replacement.

I knew that there were these shortcomings with the GLK when I bought it and still like it despite them but if they misrepresented the consumption of DEF, MB should be held accountable.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:11 PM

GLK250 2014
Yup accessing the filling port is a hassle for ME. I carry a spare strapped down in the trunk and don't feel like removing all the contents of the trunk while it's -30C.just to fill the DEF.
Speaking of the DEF system, it appears to me that stuffing a diesel in the GLK was probably an afterthought or how to you explain putting the DEF tank and filler port where the spare tire should be? In Canada they give you a can of tire sealer and a cheap compressor expecting that it should suffice as a spare tire replacement.

I knew that there were these shortcomings with the GLK when I bought it and still like it despite them but if they misrepresented the consumption of DEF, MB should be held accountable.
There is a bigger problem than increased DEF usage. Apparently the Bluetec system is turned off below 10C in order to protect the engine. If not done, certain components will fail. If they had a fix that only entailed higher DEF usage, we would have heard about it by now.

The GLK had diesel power in Europe early on. It was only when brought to NA and when Euro emission requirements were tightened, that the Bluetec/DEF system was introduced. Obvious that the GLK250 was not designed for that. We lug around a compact spare in the cargo space too. (or behind driver seat).
Old 05-28-2018, 03:46 PM

2014 GLK250

GLKs also came with runflats, so the need for a spare is mitigated.

Also, they didn't represent the DEF consumption. They might've refrained from saying that the Blutec system turned off below 10C (although I remember reading that on forums BEFORE buying my car, so it was not a surprise), but aside from that, I don't see what the problem is. Seems like some lawyers just want to make a dim on MB's back.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:23 PM

GLK250 2014

GLKs also came with runflats, so the need for a spare is mitigated.
Not in Canada! We got all-season tires, a pump and some gunk. (See Subject )
Old 05-29-2018, 07:40 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
An option for a 10 year unlimited warranty would probably be a good choice too. The car itself is great
Old 05-29-2018, 08:32 AM

2013 GLK250-BT
[QUOTE=107123210;7464354]There is a bigger problem than increased DEF usage. Apparently the Bluetec system is turned off below 10C in order to protect the engine. If not done, certain components will fail. If they had a fix that only entailed higher DEF usage, we would have heard about it by now.

Interesting!

All the more reason to be concerned about the long-term impact that this issue may have on the longevity of the engine and emissions related components.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:25 AM

2014 GLK250
My bad about canadian GLKs. I'm in Canada but bought it used, so I didn't know if the tires it came equipped with (non runflats) were the OE ones.

Not sure this class action will succeed. I see no misrepresentation, aside from the fact that the system might pollute more than advertised on a yearly basis. In other words, when it works, it works as advertised, but sometimes it just doesn't work to prevent damage. I'm totally fine with that but will gladly take a check if some tree-hugger is offended by this.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:36 AM

GLK 250, BMW 335d
My bad about canadian GLKs. I'm in Canada but bought it used, so I didn't know if the tires it came equipped with (non runflats) were the OE ones.

Not sure this class action will succeed. I see no misrepresentation, aside from the fact that the system might pollute more than advertised on a yearly basis. In other words, when it works, it works as advertised, but sometimes it just doesn't work to prevent damage. I'm totally fine with that but will gladly take a check if some tree-hugger is offended by this.
The original tires on our 2013 were not run flats in Canada ala BMWs which were.
I agree with your assessment and if I do get a cheque then I do not want it encumbered by the class action settlement if there is one.
Cheers
Old 05-29-2018, 02:00 PM

2014 GLK250
The only thing I don't want them to do is tinker with it. Thankfully, I'm out of warranty so there is no chance of them performing any kind of unwanted repair/reprogramation on my car during a service, as I don't go to the dealer.

BMW tried to cover up a problem with the N54 engines by lowering turbo pressure unbeknownst to owners... needless to say, they got whacked with a class-action lawsuit...
Old 05-31-2018, 04:20 PM

ML350 BT, GLK 250 BT, C230 4Matic
I just bought a 2013 GLK 250 with 95K in Canada and so far I love everything about the car, looks, feel, tightness...etc , well maybe not too crazy about the Diesel consumption as I expected better then the 8~8.5L/100km, and I definitely don't like the radio controls!
As to the class act suite, as a second owner are there mechanisms to join in? has anyone done that?
Old 06-01-2018, 02:53 PM

GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by ash333
As to the class act suite, as a second owner are there mechanisms to join in? has anyone done that?
I don't think you have to be a first owner. Check pdf attached to post #6 and let them know you are an owner.

Re fuel consumption, 8-8.5 is high. Depends on type of driving. Overall we do a lot more highway than city and our average over past couple of years (since last reset) is just over 7, (I think). On a 401 trip in summer, we sometimes get below 6.5. Some here claim much better, but they must be going downhill or something
ash333 (06-01-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 02:13 PM

2014 GLK250, 2014 Mustang Convertible, 2000 Ford Ranger, 04 Honda ST1300
Warranty/service deal

Originally Posted by bugelrex
An option for a 10 year unlimited warranty would probably be a good choice too. The car itself is great
I'd jump on that deal in a heart beat. Specially if they threw in service for the same time period. That would be a slam dunk! Overall it would be the cheapest option for MB and we'd get to keep they vehicles we love and those that would choose to sell would be guaranteed an excellent value.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:12 PM

GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by cpsseals
I'd jump on that deal in a heart beat. Specially if they threw in service for the same time period. That would be a slam dunk! Overall it would be the cheapest option for MB and we'd get to keep they vehicles we love and those that would choose to sell would be guaranteed an excellent value.
But why would they do that? The cars would continue to turn off their emission system every time the temperature goes below 10C. It wouldn't solve anything. They either need to make Bluetec work at any temperature. Or buy the cars back. Just like VW did.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:03 PM

2013 GLK250-BT
Came across more details from Wardsauto site on the allegations against MB. It appears that part of the reason for shutting down the SCR is to ensure that the refilling the DEF tank coincides with the service intervals. I guess they thought that filling the DEF tank is not something the average customer would be inclined to want to do so MB attempted to synchronize it with service intervals such as oil changes, inspections, etc..

http://wardsauto.com/engines/daimler...-defeat-device

The manipulation software programs allegedly used by Mercedes-Benz to allow its diesel models to pass the U.S. tests are similar to those developed by Volkswagen and threaten to drag it further into the Dieselgate scandal.

According to the information cited by Bild am Sonntag, one software program developed by Daimler is the “Bit 13” function. It commands the diesel engine switch to “dirty mode” once it emits 16 grams of nitrogen oxide. This corresponds to the duration of the U.S. highway test cycle, the newspaper says.

Also suspected of being used is the “Bit 14” software function. It switches the engine into so-called “dirty mode” under certain temperatures and preset periods of time. This function allegedly is particularly suited to allowing cars to pass the FTP-75 warm test cycle.

Another software function called “Bit 15” is claimed to have been used during the US06 test cycle. It is programmed to switch off the SCR exhaust-gas after-treatment system after 16 miles (26 km).

According to sources, tests carried out on the Vito reveal its SCR filter are programmed to reduce the injection of AdBlue to allow it to be filled during service intervals – thus reducing its efficiency and leading to higher NOx values than those claimed by Mercedes-Benz.

In addition, Bild am Sonntag says U.S. investigators have uncovered a further suspicious software function within the control system of various Mercedes-Benz models. Called Slipguard, it detects when the car is being tested on a rolling road and is claimed to influence the release of urea-based AdBlue solution into the SCR system.

Last edited by symphony; 06-04-2018 at 09:06 PM.
107123210 (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 01:28 PM

GLK250 2014
Yes, that story was all over the press in late May. Interesting to see what develops and how quickly. Presumably the GLK250 is one of the models affected.

http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...ls-report-says
Old 09-25-2019, 08:11 PM

Glk250
For Glk diesel owners, looks like things are moving. Daimler officially charged in Germany in regard of the Bluetec engine
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...esel-car-probe