GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK Transmission control module Tcm problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2018 | 08:59 PM

2013 GLK 250
GLK Transmission control module Tcm problems

I was driving home from work and noticed my engine light on. Then I started to notice that I couldn’t accelerate as fast. Driving city wise, it was manageable , but super slow take offs. My code reader says transmission control module 3y/8n4. My most recent research shows that only the dealership can install one since it has to be programmed by them. And it’s a very common problem amongst newer. Mercedes .

any one have a solution to fix it ?
Old 07-10-2018 | 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by wigglefurd
I was driving home from work and noticed my engine light on. Then I started to notice that I couldn’t accelerate as fast. Driving city wise, it was manageable , but super slow take offs. My code reader says transmission control module 3y/8n4. My most recent research shows that only the dealership can install one since it has to be programmed by them. And it’s a very common problem amongst newer. Mercedes .

any one have a solution to fix it ?
Answered your own question.
Old 07-10-2018 | 09:41 PM

2013 GLK 250
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Answered your own question.
cool story bro, can we get this man some cookies for being way too helpful
Old 07-10-2018 | 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by wigglefurd

cool story bro, can we get this man some cookies for being way too helpful
I know you want the cheap way to rig it, but the TCM is only sold as a TRP part and only programmable by a dealer. It's stupid but that's the way it works.

There are "rebuilders" on Ebay and places that will sell you a "virginized" TCM that can have the initial startup performed by a properly enabled SDS, but there's no way to DIY it.

It's not a terribly expensive part, replace it and carry on with life. This isn't something you want to be doing over and over again, and driving the car in limp mode for any length of time can cause severe mechanical damage in the transmission if it's already getting worn, best to fix it sooner than later.