GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Canadian Warranty on emission components

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 12:12 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
Canadian Warranty on emission components

I talked to dealer today. I was surprised to be told that in Canada, the new car warranty covers, among other things, all sensors for the full 4 years. The glove box booklet says emission system only covered for 2 years, but dealer assures me it is 4 years in Canada. Booklet is wrong? (Confirmed by MBCanada)

Then if you had bought the extended limited warranty. the full new car warranty (including emission system) is extended for 2 more years plus one additional year on drive train. You can find this in the Extended Limited Warranty Contract - Item 12 under items covered. It is also on the on-line Mercedes Canada Warranty web page where Diesel exhaust treatment only mentions adblue system, but sensors and sending units are there too under Electrical System. (This is what Dealer told me. However, MBCanada customer line said emissions not covered except for adblue items mentioned in their Extended Warranty brochure/web page). When asked about the sensors, he said dealer had to determine coverage by contacting MB warranty department) Could not advise how owner could get that information!)

So, in other words, for those of us with the 2+1 extended limited warranty, our full emission system may or maybe not! be covered for 2 extra years (6 yrs total). 4 emission components (see below) are covered for 8 yrs total, and the soot sensor for 10yrs total.

The extended warranty only applies in Canada. If a problem occurs while in USA, you have to pay for the repair and then claim it back from MBCanada.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
emissions coverage.pdf (37.5 KB, 681 views)

Last edited by 107123210; 10-19-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 273 Likes on 231 Posts
GLK 250
"Trust, but verify," certainly applies.

Anything not expressly written in official documentation is just hearsay.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:13 PM

GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by andreigbs
"Trust, but verify," certainly applies.

Anything not expressly written in official documentation is just hearsay.
If I have a problem while in USA, receive a, say $5000 , bill, I can see problems for us and dealer if Mercedes Canada choose not to honor the claim.

Rather than get into such conflicts, I will probably trade our low mileage pristine GLK on another brand and consider this an expensive lesson learned.

Last edited by 107123210; 10-21-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GLK 250
4 year Emission Warranty in Canada?

Morning, I am in Toronto and heading in with my 2015 GLK this week to get a CEL checked... believe it is both NOx sensors... I am still in the first 4 years but am over 80k now, do you have it written anywhere that there is a full 4 year sensor warranty? Which dealer did you deal with? Any advice?

Thanks,

Originally Posted by 107123210
I talked to dealer today. I was surprised to be told that in Canada, the new car warranty covers, among other things, all sensors for the full 4 years. The glove box booklet says emission system only covered for 2 years, but dealer assures me it is 4 years in Canada. Booklet is wrong? (Confirmed by MBCanada)

Then if you had bought the extended limited warranty. the full new car warranty (including emission system) is extended for 2 more years plus one additional year on drive train. You can find this in the Extended Limited Warranty Contract - Item 12 under items covered. It is also on the on-line Mercedes Canada Warranty web page where Diesel exhaust treatment only mentions adblue system, but sensors and sending units are there too under Electrical System. (This is what Dealer told me. However, MBCanada customer line said emissions not covered except for adblue items mentioned in their Extended Warranty brochure/web page). When asked about the sensors, he said dealer had to determine coverage by contacting MB warranty department) Could not advise how owner could get that information!)

So, in other words, for those of us with the 2+1 extended limited warranty, our full emission system may or maybe not! be covered for 2 extra years (6 yrs total). 4 emission components (see below) are covered for 8 yrs total, and the soot sensor for 10yrs total.

The extended warranty only applies in Canada. If a problem occurs while in USA, you have to pay for the repair and then claim it back from MBCanada.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:05 PM

GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by Cottageguy33
Morning, I am in Toronto and heading in with my 2015 GLK this week to get a CEL checked... believe it is both NOx sensors... I am still in the first 4 years but am over 80k now, do you have it written anywhere that there is a full 4 year sensor warranty? Which dealer did you deal with? Any advice?

Thanks,
As mentioned here by others, it seems sometimes the codes that indicate a NOx sensor problem end up being something else. But only a dealer type diagnostic will find that out. I was told by our local dealer (not Toronto) as well as by the MBCanada customer service hot line that the emissions system has a full warranty for 4 years and not 2 years as stated in the warranty booklet. I would call that hot line (number should be in your booklet) and ask them directly. If the dealer says car needs sensors and they are not covered, ask them to check with the Eastern service supervisor. (Brent Pruesse).
The following users liked this post:
Cottageguy33 (12-11-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 04:39 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
14 GLK 250
Lots of emissions problems show up as Nox sensor even though they are NOT. Do yourself a favour and get "Carly for Mercedes" or iCarsoft MB2. That way you will have the info you need before spending $$$$. Saved me thousands. Calls to shops automatically assumed Nox sensors and wanted to replaced them right away. Also using a good app with OBD2 you can actually MONITOR the output of the Nox sensors to see what values they are giving. I believe sensor 1 should be around 80ppm and 2 should be 5ppm. anyhow when you hit the gas you can see the graph of the output and should make sense. Also if its a bad Nox sensor, what are the chances both are broken at the same time? slim to none. Theres another 1000$ for a part that still works. Might work for another 100K Miles for all you know. Dont get bullied by mechanics.... !
The following users liked this post:
Cottageguy33 (12-11-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 10:21 AM

2015 GLK 250
As suspected, being told that both front and back NOx sensors need replacement. (and that warranty ran out at 80k on these despite only 3 years old) Only consolation would be that both sensors will have a 2 year unlimited km warranty once replaced, but still a shock... .

I'll take the advice and buy a scanner soonest. I'll look at both the options suggested and see which works best for me. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:09 AM

GLK250 2014
As suspected, being told that both front and back NOx sensors need replacement. (and that warranty ran out at 80k on these despite only 3 years old) Only consolation would be that both sensors will have a 2 year unlimited km warranty once replaced, but still a shock... .

I'll take the advice and buy a scanner soonest. I'll look at both the options suggested and see which works best for me. Thanks.
Even although technically out of warranty because of km, those sensor should not require replacement after just 3 years. If it was my car, I would ask my dealer to contact Brent Pruesse and see if they would cover them in full or part under their Goodwill program.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:24 AM

2015 GLK 250
Good suggestion, I'll discuss it with them and see.

Thanks,
Old 12-12-2018, 12:35 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
14 GLK 250
Good suggestion, I'll discuss it with them and see.

Thanks,
If you are in Vancouver you can use my scan tool.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:56 PM

2015 GLK 250
Toronto, but thanks for the offer. I'll certainly take your advice and get one soon though...