GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Any GLK diesel owners sign up for class action lawsuit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2019 | 07:07 PM

2014 250 GLK
Originally Posted by bugelrex
Slow drip of news. Om651 (same engine as glk250) recalled in sprinter vans in germany for updates.

... but still nothing from the USA side.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/d...193803632.html
Don't hold your breath even if it affects the GLK 250 as we are still waiting on the replacement airbag subject to a recall years ago.
Old 10-12-2019 | 09:53 AM

glk
Originally Posted by bdturnham
Don't hold your breath even if it affects the GLK 250 as we are still waiting on the replacement airbag subject to a recall years ago.
Its now established fact that the glk250 emits more pollution than claimed as admitted by the recalls and fine in Germany.

Its very unusual for usa to allow known polluting cars to be still in the road this long. I would have at least expected California to make a stink about it. Even nada from Canada.

Mb must have some real good lawyers
Old 10-12-2019 | 10:13 AM

'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
Remember, the emission requirements in Europe are stricter than here. This matter all refers to those standards, not ours.
The following users liked this post:
bugelrex (10-12-2019)
Old 10-13-2019 | 09:44 AM

2014 250 GLK
And it is not something that the present administration seems to be worried about (car emissions).
Old 10-13-2019 | 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by bdturnham
And it is not something that the present administration seems to be worried about (car emissions).
.......nor should they be! That's a good thing! Unless they would reduce present requirements!
Old 02-03-2020 | 11:58 PM

glk
Lawsuit is still moving but very slow. Latest (sorry no free links)
- investor group opened a new case against mb for loss of share value due to scandal
- consumer class action is requesting names of management involved

Starting to give up hope.. but at least its still alive

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/produc...rticle-related

Last edited by bugelrex; 02-06-2020 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-21-2020 | 08:34 PM

glk
"
Daimler have admitted that authorities are likely to discover more software rigging the level of emissions in their Mercedes-Benz cars"

Things are still moving along here, hopefully a conclusion will come soon

​​​​​​https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/18...ehicles-likely

Old 02-22-2020 | 08:59 AM

Lawsuit is still moving but very slow. Latest (sorry no free links)
- investor group opened a new case against mb for loss of share value due to scandal
- consumer class action is requesting names of management involved
Just curious what you are hoping for. Replacement? Like VW? I don't see it happening in the USA so just wondering.
Old 02-22-2020 | 11:32 AM

glk
Originally Posted by Bob338
Just curious what you are hoping for. Replacement? Like VW? I don't see it happening in the USA so just wondering.
they are still in the discovery phase, some very large institutional investors are now driving a lawsuit so they have very expensive lawyers on the case now.

Truthfully, i am expecting them to find intentional "wink wink" cheating the software which would force buybacks in the usa. At the very least, if diesel software needs to be re-tuned an extended warranty is required

Bob338 (02-23-2020)
Old 02-23-2020 | 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Don't hold your breath, guys. The EPA made an example out of VW because they denied cheating at first, and the guvmint hates when you lie to them. As far as I know, MB has been cooperating with investigators in the EU and here, they have not denied anything openly and are not likely to be punished as severely as VW/Audi (if at all). Couple that with the fact that MB has stopped bringing diesels after 2016 year models and you can imagine there isn't much urgency to deal with this issue here.

Frankly, even if they offered a "fix" and extended warranty I don't think I'd be interested. I guess we'll wait and see.
Old 02-23-2020 | 02:45 PM

That's sorta the way I look at it.

Aren't they still putting the diesel engines in the Sprinter Vans assembled in Alabama?
Old 08-13-2020 | 01:52 PM

glk
mb usa has settled for 2.2B
Its not clear what consumer gets

https://europe.autonews.com/automake...esel-emissions
Old 08-13-2020 | 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Likely nothing, unless you file a claim of some sort. Better to expect nothing and be pleasantly surprised, than to expect big things and be routinely disappointed.

Besides, I like the way my GLK250 runs now, wouldn't let MB "fix" it for anything. I'll accept a cash payment anytime, though. That is all.
Old 08-13-2020 | 11:09 PM

glk
Originally Posted by andreigbs
Likely nothing, unless you file a claim of some sort. Better to expect nothing and be pleasantly surprised, than to expect big things and be routinely disappointed.

Besides, I like the way my GLK250 runs now, wouldn't let MB "fix" it for anything. I'll accept a cash payment anytime, though. That is all.
its 700M for 250000 vehicles. Assuming the lawyers don't take it all it will be between 2 to 3 thousand dollars... hopefully

Old 08-15-2020 | 09:53 PM

glk

anyone familar with the jeep, vw diesel settlement?

since MB has probably provided the government with all the VINS, is opting out of a emission re-retune really an option? If you in state that requires testing, can this be enforced?

The only upside is an extended emissions warranty and $(after the lawyers have taken their share)
chassis (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020 | 12:00 PM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
anyone familar with the jeep, vw diesel settlement?

since MB has probably provided the government with all the VINS, is opting out of a emission re-retune really an option? If you in state that requires testing, can this be enforced?

The only upside is an extended emissions warranty and $(after the lawyers have taken their share)
@bugelrex Yes I participated in the VW diesel settlement. What questions do you have? Overall the VW settlement was attractive to participants.
Old 08-16-2020 | 12:28 PM

glk
Originally Posted by chassis
@bugelrex Yes I participated in the VW diesel settlement. What questions do you have? Overall the VW settlement was attractive to participants.
i think this will be closer to the jeep ecodiesel settlement. Re-tune + warranty + few thousand $.

someone answered on another thread, no force retune if your State doesn't care for emissions.

I don't see any way to get buyback without opting out and rolling the dice with your own lawyer.
Old 08-17-2020 | 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
As did I. Thought it was pretty straightforward overall, and it was nice getting my cash down payment back essentially.
chassis (08-17-2020)
Old 10-15-2021 | 10:06 AM

2015 GL350
Need some help with my pre-AEM history. Below is the only history report I have access to presently and trying to figure out what exactly was replaced, if possible. Can anybody help with determining what was replaced with the info in the Damage History? Much appreciated in advance!!!

Old 10-15-2021 | 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
I'd say it's pretty clear, no? 2nd column lists what was replaced, most recent to oldest:
- AdBlue injection nozzle
- AdBlue temp sensor
- Front Left door sensor
- Brake disc (doesn't say which one)

There appears to be one item missing a description, performed on 6/29-6/30. It may related to the AdBlue temp sensor work.
Old 10-15-2021 | 11:22 AM

2015 GL350
I'd say it's pretty clear, no? 2nd column lists what was replaced, most recent to oldest:
- AdBlue injection nozzle
- AdBlue temp sensor
- Front Left door sensor
- Brake disc (doesn't say which one)

There appears to be one item missing a description, performed on 6/29-6/30. It may related to the AdBlue temp sensor work.
So, I'm not familiar with the typical 'highly likely to have an issue with this' scenarios of this vehicle. Meaning, are the first AdBlue items replaced part of the AdBlue tank assembly? I'm hearing of issues about the AdBlue tank and trying to determine if this is something that has been addressed with this repair.
Old 10-15-2021 | 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
The AdBlue system has multiple components, some of which are prone to fail early. For example, the AdBlue in-tank heater fails which means when it's colder than 40*F out, you will likely experience a check engine light (CEL) saying there is an emissions system fault. A good scan tool will confirm it's the heater that failed. Because the heater is included in the tank assembly along with the sending unit and level sensor, most stealerships will replace the entire AdBlue tank for around $2k, unless you're lucky to have it fail during warranty (or after the AEM work has been done, which provides a new warranty on emissions systems).

The AdBlue injection nozzle or sprayer is screwed into the exhaust pipe about midway down its length. The nozzle doesn't fail as often as the heater, but when it fails it's likely because the AdBlue solution has formed crystals around the spray nozzle that prevent it from spraying, thereby triggering a fault. In either case you will eventually be placed into "limp home" mode, meaning reduced power and rough shifts to get you to the nearest shop.

In your case, you've had the sprayer and temp sensor replaced. I don't think you've had the level sensor or heater replaced yet, but if you've had the AEM work done you are now covered should those items (or many others on that comprehensive list) go bad.

I would invest in a scan tool to keep an eye on things, should you ever experience another CEL. There are many options and prices available, but if you plan to keep the car it's a worthwhile investment that can potentially save you hundreds of dollars and headaches.
primbesy (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021 | 12:14 PM

2015 GL350
The AdBlue system has multiple components, some of which are prone to fail early. For example, the AdBlue in-tank heater fails which means when it's colder than 40*F out, you will likely experience a check engine light (CEL) saying there is an emissions system fault. A good scan tool will confirm it's the heater that failed. Because the heater is included in the tank assembly along with the sending unit and level sensor, most stealerships will replace the entire AdBlue tank for around $2k, unless you're lucky to have it fail during warranty (or after the AEM work has been done, which provides a new warranty on emissions systems).

The AdBlue injection nozzle or sprayer is screwed into the exhaust pipe about midway down its length. The nozzle doesn't fail as often as the heater, but when it fails it's likely because the AdBlue solution has formed crystals around the spray nozzle that prevent it from spraying, thereby triggering a fault. In either case you will eventually be placed into "limp home" mode, meaning reduced power and rough shifts to get you to the nearest shop.

In your case, you've had the sprayer and temp sensor replaced. I don't think you've had the level sensor or heater replaced yet, but if you've had the AEM work done you are now covered should those items (or many others on that comprehensive list) go bad.

I would invest in a scan tool to keep an eye on things, should you ever experience another CEL. There are many options and prices available, but if you plan to keep the car it's a worthwhile investment that can potentially save you hundreds of dollars and headaches.
Thank you for the insightful reply. Yes, I just purchased the iCarsoft MB V3.0 scanner and love the GL. Wife drives a 2020 Highlander Hybrid, which doesn't hold a candle compared to the GL overall quality and experience.
Old 10-15-2021 | 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Just now noticed you have a GL350 (Bluetec), not a GLK250 which is what this subforum is about. They're very nice trucks, way too big for my garage...

You may want to visit https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x166-173/ for your specific chassis, as there should be more knowledgeable folks there.
Old 02-28-2022 | 04:10 PM

2018 SL450
Looks like the ball is starting to move again for the Mercedes Diesel scandal.

Did anyone join the class action? As I understand it, we don't need to sign up, if the verdict is against MB USA, we will be compensated?
It looks like the US has a strong case, surprised its taking so long after VW...

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/04/...sions-lawsuit/
https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...g-Class-Action
we got $7030 ($3515 each for our GLK and our Sprinter) in January 2022. Long wait, but worth it!