GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Any GLK diesel owners sign up for class action lawsuit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 09:55 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
GLK 250 eligible for compensation. MB has settled for $700M

Looks like the ball is starting to move again for the Mercedes Diesel scandal.

Did anyone join the class action? As I understand it, we don't need to sign up, if the verdict is against MB USA, we will be compensated?
It looks like the US has a strong case, surprised its taking so long after VW...

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/04/...sions-lawsuit/
https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...g-Class-Action

Last edited by bugelrex; 08-15-2020 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 217 Posts
GLK 250
I haven't, just as I didn't for the VW fiasco. I let things run their course and turned my leased Golf TDI in early, along with settlement checks received from VW and Bosch.

If judgement follows the same course in the MB scandal, Bluetec owners will likely receive similar options. The harder choice is whether to let them "fix" it, which effectively neuters your car, or to turn it in for a settlement amount and find another SUV that we enjoy as much.

Either way, I've been following developments but I'm not jumping the gun yet.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:39 PM

glk
A new probe has opened. this time specific to GLK 220 CDI. Not sure if this affects USA model GLK 250

https://phys.org/news/2019-04-daimle...-software.html
Old 04-24-2019, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK 250
I am surprised this thread has not seen more action/posts. I am certainly following this issue closely with my 2014 250.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
My personal experience with class action lawsuits is that there is little benefit to members of the 'class', in this case the car owners. These class action lawsuits benefit only the lawyers involved. Their massive fees take the largest majority of monetary damages and members of the 'class' get little or nothing. There were law firms founded solely for the purpose of pursuing class actions and they've become wealthy.

Years ago I spent much time gathering documents, filling out pages and pages of forms for what seemed to have potential for reimbursement of substantial financial loss. After years of waiting in one case, and periodically filling in new forms, I received a check for literally pennies. Not even enough to cover postage spent to return the forms. I wouldn't hold my breath here. I'll just enjoy my car while I have it. I'd guess if there is any benefit to be passed down to us owners that we'll be advised via MB USA, but I'm not expecting a thing!
The following users liked this post:
formerjeepguy (04-26-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
snip there is little benefit to members of the 'class', snip

^^^ this.

I'm watching things closely, as they seem to be progressing, but I'm not jumping the gun to enrich some law firm. If there is a settlement, MB will offer it to me and I can make my decision then.

Until such time, it's a wait and see game. 94K miles and going strong.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:25 AM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 GLK350
I think the people involved in the VW diesel fiasco made out so well because of all the negative publicity associated with it. But I just don't see anything at all on major news sites about this one and when I do see something it is just a short blurb. I'm convinced that it is going to turn out to be a whole lot of nothing.

I would love to see some payback for the hassle that I had with my GLK250 but I seriously doubt I will get anything.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:48 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
GL 320, 993TT, BMW 550XI
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-f...-idUSKCN1S91YM
Old 05-09-2019, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
The wheels are turning, albeit slowly.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:08 PM

glk
GLK 220 recalled in Germany over emission scancal. wonder how this affects US specd GLK250

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-da...-idUKKCN1TN0E8
Old 06-27-2019, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glk250
I’ve been following this new diesel scandal closely. I’ve called Mercedes Canada. They say nothing regarding the class action except that a judge is analyzing the file.

History of similar class actions usually begin after the settlement is done in Europe, then it suddenly move on quickly in North America. Note that our emission standard are not the same than Euro.

One of the difference between the VW/Audi/Porsche case is that Mercedes doesn’t admit their “wrong” intention. VW group went public and admitted their wrong intention.

Daimler-mercedes group is projecting a great amount of money for their legal procedures that are projected in the upcoming year.

it will be very interesting to see how it ends up on the other side.

https://www.daimler.com/innovation/d...ecall-faq.html
Old 06-28-2019, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Originally Posted by Vinceledude
Note that our emission standard are not the same than Euro.

https://www.daimler.com/innovation/d...ecall-faq.html
Very true; ours are more stringent when it comes to passenger diesels, which has kept us from being able to drive MANY of the available diesels Europe and Asia have to offer. Besides VW Group cars, which will no longer be made TDI for the U.S. market, we are losing MB's Bluetecs and BMW's diesels too.

You can try building a 2019 Bimmer or Benz but you won't find the diesel option anymore. I believe Mazda has finally revealed their Skyactiv-D diesel, but until I see it on a dealer's lot I won't believe it. Chevy/GMC still offers their 1.6L Ecotec diesel on new builds of the Cruze and small SUVs, but that's about it in terms of passenger car diesel-powered new cars.

The future looks to be "diesel-less" for most cars.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:14 AM

glk
The European GLKs are recalled for 're-programming'. Surely, this must change the car in some way (less mpg, slower, more wear & tear). I wonder if MB Europe also provides a free extended warranty with the 're-programming'?

Would even a re-programmed GLK pass the stringent US Emission standards? VW owners who didn't choose the buy back (why wouldn't you?) were only offered $5k + reprogramming I think?? Without a clear admission of guilt, I don't see a buyback option.

https://www.cars.com/articles/we-tes...1420699480602/
http://fortune.com/2016/06/28/vw-own...ation-scandal/
Old 06-29-2019, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
True, the buyback was part of the punishment imposed, among other things for false advertising, misleading sales tactics, the tax incentives they were part of as “clean fuel efficient” bla bla bla. Some owners got more, some got less. I was leasing a Golf TDI at the time, they gave me the option to end my lease early and a 3k restitution payment, which I took.

The reprogramming will likely make the GLK use more fuel, put out less power and thereby emissions, use much more urea and run more DPF regeneration cycles which possibly damages the thing. From what I’ve read, DPFs weren’t made to be scrubbed too often, so we’d have to see how they last. This is why an extended warranty on all emissions system items is necessary: because those components are now being taxed much more often than designed, and we know how expensive they are to replace.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:00 PM

GLK 250 2015
Canada?

I'm trying to follow this new web site, really interesting. I appreciate all your effort you bunch of MB fans, like me.

For this Class Action, Any word if it apply in Canada. I'm in Calgary.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:03 PM

Glk250
Not yet, you can follow up with MB customer service they will act like if they don’t know what you’re talking about but if you detail and ask for more, they will develop about the subject or https://kmlaw.ca/cases/mercedes-bluetec-class-action/
Old 07-10-2019, 08:41 PM

glk
Starting to see a few news articles 'questioning' why the USA have been so slow in moving this forward. It took USA 1.5 years from start to finish to punish VW, its now been 3 years for Mercedes..

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...s-on/39657613/
Old 07-29-2019, 08:48 PM

2014 250 GLK
Originally Posted by emtskibum
I am surprised this thread has not seen more action/posts. I am certainly following this issue closely with my 2014 250.
We also have a 2014 GLK 250 but I am puzzled as to why there should be any issue like VW as we have this biggish tank of DEF (Bluetec) that gets used all the time unlike the VW diesels that just had a small cylinder of DEF that got squirted only when the car's emissions were tested. That is my understanding anyway.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:11 PM

Mercedes Benz GLK250
Originally Posted by bdturnham
We also have a 2014 GLK 250 but I am puzzled as to why there should be any issue like VW as we have this biggish tank of DEF (Bluetec) that gets used all the time unlike the VW diesels that just had a small cylinder of DEF that got squirted only when the car's emissions were tested. That is my understanding anyway.
VW diesels didn't have a DEF tank at all. I know because I owned one that was bought back under the emissions fiasco. Basically, they set up the software to recognize when the car was being tested and when it was being driven. The engine parameters were automatically adjusted for favorable emissions when it was being tested but it was game on when being driven. Personally, I didn't much care to sell my car back to VW. It was a fantastic car and we diesel owners represent a tiny slim majority of polluters so I didn't really care about the emissions. However, they put me in a tough spot. I was concerned that they (the government) would eventually force an emissions fix on me that would adversely affect performance if I kept the car. VW also made me an extremely generous offer that no reasonable economist could argue with.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:20 PM

Glk250
Audi 3.0 TDI, Porsche 3.0 TDI(Diesel was the name) and Passat TDI had a very similar anti-pollution system then what there is in your Glk 250 and the bluetec line up.
When I read that this car pollutes 40x more than the normal regulation under 10 celcius degrees(often in Canada) and my 12 months & 3 years old boys are in the car with me on our way to the daycare, in the morning. I just feel that I've been fooled my Mercedes and like thousands of owners which might not even know.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:21 PM

2014 250 GLK
Oh I read that they had a very small cylinder for the VWs. Actually when we were having trouble with errors with our bluetec system (check engine light on saying it was low when it wasn't) I asked my VW owner son if his diesel gave him similar problems and he had not a clue what I was talking about!
Old 07-29-2019, 09:26 PM

2014 250 GLK
So there is no regulatory issue in the US with the 250 then? When I read the first post about this I wondered whether an older version of the GLK 250 perhaps was different. We have heard nothing and funnily enough when we last had our car's emissions tested in DC my husband said they told him that we did not need to do it again EVER (as it was diesel) and we have a sticker to that effect. Odd given what Vinceledude says
Old 07-29-2019, 09:38 PM

Glk250
The thing is that Mercedes engineers might have tricked the tool which are use to measure the quantity of pollution emitted by the Mercedes equipped with the DPF in order to pass the different test.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:29 PM

2014 250 GLK
Originally Posted by Vinceledude
The thing is that Mercedes engineers might have tricked the tool which are use to measure the quantity of pollution emitted by the Mercedes equipped with the DPF in order to pass the different test.
I found the explanation of the lawsuit at https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-lawsuit.shtml
Old 10-11-2019, 05:26 PM

glk
Slow drip of news. Om651 (same engine as glk250) recalled in sprinter vans in germany for updates.

... but still nothing from the USA side.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/d...193803632.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Any GLK diesel owners sign up for class action lawsuit?