Added DEF, now smoking alot!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 07:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 GLK250
Added DEF, now smoking alot!

Hi all

This is for my 2013 glk250, dash warning came on. Went to local speed shop and bought the DEF that was on the shelf a few days ago.

Now it's white smoking like crazy at stops.

Now questioning if this is the correct stuff.

Is this the correct stuff?

Guess that I will have to pump out the tank and get dealer stuff instead

Old 09-15-2020, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 270 Likes on 228 Posts
GLK 250
What exactly is smoking white? Coming out of the tailpipe? The DEF fluid is not burned anywhere in the system, so it shouldn't smoke. However, if you topped off to overfill the tank and spilled some out, you may have accidentally splashed some on hot exhaust piping in the area.

Simply put, we need more information. The DEF itself is fine, no need to pump the tank.
The following users liked this post:
Hwerrt (09-16-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 05:45 PM

2013 GLK250
Hi

Thank you for your response, I will double check next time I see it smoking, and report back. I am pretty sure I did spill some during the refill. Now that you mention it, I will agree with you that it is what it is, the spillage falling on the exhaust tailpipe on the drivers side.

I will report back.

Regards
Old 09-16-2020, 12:02 AM

2013 GLK250
Hi
Well it is smoking from both tailpipes,

Here are the results of the diagnostic I ran, (I cleared the codes and ran it again),

Does the tank have to come out completely to fix this? My 2013 has 102,000Kms (63,000miles), is this normal to fail like this?

Last edited by Hwerrt; 09-16-2020 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
I still don't see anything that has "failed" so to speak. I see crystallization on the OUTSIDE of the mufflers, which appears to be from your DEF line(s) possibly leaking, or as a result of overspillage.

The code for Reductant pressure being low indicates there might be a leak in the system, hence the low pressure. The Reductant tank temp sensor is the dreaded failure most Bluetecs suffer sooner or later; it's when the AdBlue/DEF tank heater/sensor/pump unit which is inside the DEF tank goes bad. The whole tank needs to come down to replace the pump/sensor/heater assembly. There are several threads around here if you want to search for the repair. I would first make sure to find out where the leak is exaclty. DEF crystalization cleans up easily with hot water, just don't get it on your skin.

The Mass Air Flow sensor code leads me to believe one of your intercooler hoses has a hole in it, which means you're losing boost and the MAF sensor sees a different value than it expects to. It's not likely a faulty sensor. There's also a few threads about the intercooler hose issue, should be easy fix. The DEF system is a pain in the a$$ no matter what, but let's first find out whether you have an actual leak or not. If all else fails, you can always turn the DEF system itself "off."
Hwerrt (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 02:18 PM

2013 GLK250
Hey Thank you for sticking with me on this one, really appreciate the guidance at this time.

Called the Merc dealership that I purchased it, used 3 years ago here in Edmonton Canada. Confirmed that there is no more warranties, extended or otherwise, left on the it. There is a steering bolt replacement recall, will deal with that at a later date.

I am under the vehicle, can't identify any leaks from the DEF hoses that I can see.

I cleared the codes again, and only the MassAirFlow and the Reductant tank temp sensor codes keeps coming back. The low pressure code is not showing up in the real time diagnostic. Only in the previous permanent codes.

Can you point me to one thread you would recommend I follow to remove the DEF tank? I would rather repair it than modding it, I don't think that I could handle the diesel smell if the emissions is removed.

I am thinking that the DEF injector be leaking into the exhaust internally? Hence the low pressure code?

PS:: Just got off the phone with merc parts dealer. They advised me that are actually 3 heaters in the system. Main heater and 2 line heaters. By the diagnostic code, can I tell which heater is pooched?

Regards

Last edited by Hwerrt; 09-16-2020 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Changed some questions
Old 09-16-2020, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Ours is due for the steering bolt recall too, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I like the BlueDriver scan tool for what it is, I just wish it was more useful. If it could force regens for example, that'd be great. As it is, i think the code is telling you it's the in-tank heater, not one of the lines. I imagine those would have separate (specific codes) like my X3 for example (Which, incidentally, needs the DEF heater line replaced).

The DEF injector could be clogged with crystallized DEF and spraying weirdly or not at all, and leaking instead. You'd have to remove it from the exhaust pipe to see its status.

As for removing and replacing the AdBlue/DEF tank heater, see this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...blue-tank.html and maybe send user "Skee1975" a private message. He recently replaced the tank innards with a repair kit. I believe the link to the kit is in the thread as well.

Just so you know, MB is about to start settlement proceedings with owners in the US over its emissions scandal. There will be fixes and warranty extension provided by MB, so if you wanted to follow that and just sit on it, rather than spend up to $1k of your own money, that's an option.
Hwerrt (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 07:55 PM

2013 GLK250
Thank you, for all your input and the link.
Also thank you for confirming the code as the tank heater, I was about 99% sure it was the tank heater from all the reading I was doing, but nice to have confirmation.
I went ahead and ordered a new injector anyways because of the concern I have about damaging the cat the longer I prolong this. Stopped using the vehicle until I really need it or until I can get the injector installed.
I will inquire about the MB settlement if it applies to Canada.
The weather is still pretty nice outside for the foreseeable future, so it buys me time to investigate the settlement before I am forced to purchase the heater.

Jeez, I thought that this Bluedriver did force regens. Will have to track down another one that does regens on the cheap. don't need it for anything else because the bluedriver actually has been really for me.

Last edited by Hwerrt; 09-16-2020 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:44 PM

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts
GLC300 (mine) GLK250 (wife's)
The Canadian lawsuit was initiated less than 2 yrs ago so (with the glacial pace of these things) I wouldn't expect a resolution any time soon. But it's possible the US judgement might make the Canadian case move a bit quicker. Here's a link to the firm who seem to be leading the suit.
https://kmlaw.ca/cases/mercedes-bluetec-class-action/
Hwerrt (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 09:56 PM

2013 GLK250
Great, Thank you for the link karmikan

If I remember correctly I did get a letter in the mail a long while ago.

Regards