GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Replacing the rear coils springs : how tough is it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 11:59 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2014 GLK250
Replacing the rear coils springs : how tough is it?

I noticed that one of my rear coil springs is broken. I ordered a set of new springs and will be replacing them myself. I have not found any tutorial on here (unless I'm mistaken). The only vids I found on Youtube were for sedans. Do I really need to remove the control arm? Seems like disconnecting the sway bar and shock would allow enough droop to be able to squeeze the springs out, but I could be wrong.

Any help?
Old 11-03-2020, 12:03 PM

Received 133 Likes on 88 Posts
GLK250 ML350
Mine rear one broke as well. I noticed when i changed my winter tire on. I am debating if i should get the H&R spring set of just the get the rear replacement and get my mechanic do it. He quoted me $700 for front and back and includes alignment, which is pretty decent (i think), but i have to supply the parts.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:36 PM

2014 GLK250
Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan
Mine rear one broke as well. I noticed when i changed my winter tire on. I am debating if i should get the H&R spring set of just the get the rear replacement and get my mechanic do it. He quoted me $700 for front and back and includes alignment, which is pretty decent (i think), but i have to supply the parts.
Ha! I noticed it upon changing my tires too!

The parts aren't expensive (130CDN$/spring), and if you have over, say, 60k miles, it's probably best to change both. I have 100k miles, so yeah, both are going to be changed.

Funny how I didn't notice it AT ALL, but it's a small part of the bottom coil that snapped. 700$ for front and rear including alignment seems decent.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:55 PM

Received 133 Likes on 88 Posts
GLK250 ML350
Originally Posted by Hugo L.
Ha! I noticed it upon changing my tires too!

The parts aren't expensive (130CDN$/spring), and if you have over, say, 60k miles, it's probably best to change both. I have 100k miles, so yeah, both are going to be changed.

Funny how I didn't notice it AT ALL, but it's a small part of the bottom coil that snapped. 700$ for front and rear including alignment seems decent.
Mine broke at the same spot!! If you don't mind lower your car, you can get the spring set from H&R from ebay for about $450 for front and back, or OEM replacement for rear about $130
Old 11-03-2020, 01:06 PM

2014 GLK250
Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan
Mine broke at the same spot!! If you don't mind lower your car, you can get the spring set from H&R from ebay for about $450 for front and back, or OEM replacement for rear about $130
Nah, not lowering it, I have a slightly lowered Abarth 500C for when I need a spirited driving fix.

Aside from upgraded brake pads, this car is stock and will remain so. Blame the lack of aftermarket support for that.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
What! The spring broke? Any pics? Can't imagine it being hard to replace but might need spring compression tool, which is not expensive on amazon. Wonder if there is anything to align in the back....
Old 11-04-2020, 09:38 AM

2014 GLK250
There. The spot identified by the yellow line should «meet» with the rest of the coil in the yellow circle.

The powder coating is also flaking off, as you can see.

Old 11-10-2020, 11:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 GLK350 4Matic
Tool you need

Originally Posted by Hugo L.
I noticed that one of my rear coil springs is broken. I ordered a set of new springs and will be replacing them myself. I have not found any tutorial on here (unless I'm mistaken). The only vids I found on Youtube were for sedans. Do I really need to remove the control arm? Seems like disconnecting the sway bar and shock would allow enough droop to be able to squeeze the springs out, but I could be wrong.

Any help?
If you are in need of compressing the spring, there is a mercedes benz preferred tool that is a must for safety. It sits inside the springs and goes around the coils like a cup to pull the coils towards one another. The tool is not all that expensive and can be a lirfe saver, I am sure Amazon sells one for a decent price, most likely less than a hundred bucks.

Last edited by Travelness; 11-10-2020 at 11:25 PM. Reason: spellcheck