GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Brakes Squeal - have done a search already

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GLK 350 4matic
Brakes Squeal - have done a search already

My brakes squeal when braking at lower speeds. I searched the topic and see it is pretty common. I drove 80+ mph and slammed the brakes to get the dust off. That works, but only for about 24 hours. Then the squealing comes back. I've also read that most people put on the ceramic Akebono Euro Pads and Zimmermann rotors to eliminate it. The pads I have currently are pretty new, less than 10k miles, as the previous owner replaced them just before I bought the GLK 350. I only plan on keeping the car for another 6 months, so I do not want to put much money into it. But I hate the squeling and want to enjoy driving it while I still have it.

Questions:
1. Does anyone have experience with swapping just the ceramic pads to eliminate the noises? I'd prefer not to do the rotors unless its absolutely necessary
2. Akebono makes 3 pad types - ProAct, EURO, and Performance? For the 2015 GLK 350 4matic do you absolutely want to get the EURO pads?
3. About how much does it cost to buy the tools necessary to do a pad/rotor replacement in your home garage? (Thinking about just buying all the tools and doing all the work myself going forward.)
Old 11-05-2020, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 212 Posts
2013 glk 350
Do you know what kind of pads he used
Old 11-05-2020, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2013 C350 Coupe, 2005 C230K Kleemann Sedan, 2013 GLK350 4matic
I just replaced the front and rear brakes with Akebono Euro pads and Zimmerman rotors.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 GLK250
Mercedes has identified a squealing issue concerning the front pads rubbing against the calipers, When replacing the front pads, a little brake grease needs to be applied inside the caliper to stop this issue
Old 11-06-2020, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 212 Posts
2013 glk 350
I have Zimmerman rotors and mb pads, no problems and less dust, maybe swap out front pads if issue continues.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 GLK350 4Matic
Ceramic pads

Originally Posted by clintbmu
My brakes squeal when braking at lower speeds. I searched the topic and see it is pretty common. I drove 80+ mph and slammed the brakes to get the dust off. That works, but only for about 24 hours. Then the squealing comes back. I've also read that most people put on the ceramic Akebono Euro Pads and Zimmermann rotors to eliminate it. The pads I have currently are pretty new, less than 10k miles, as the previous owner replaced them just before I bought the GLK 350. I only plan on keeping the car for another 6 months, so I do not want to put much money into it. But I hate the squeling and want to enjoy driving it while I still have it.

Questions:
1. Does anyone have experience with swapping just the ceramic pads to eliminate the noises? I'd prefer not to do the rotors unless its absolutely necessary
2. Akebono makes 3 pad types - ProAct, EURO, and Performance? For the 2015 GLK 350 4matic do you absolutely want to get the EURO pads?
3. About how much does it cost to buy the tools necessary to do a pad/rotor replacement in your home garage? (Thinking about just buying all the tools and doing all the work myself going forward.)
At times you might find a good deal on ceramic pads, regardless of the brand name. If you are not keeping the car, I would shop for the best price and swap them out.

I just did a complete brake system replacing everything including lines and hoses,and was happy with the slotted disc I found on sale that are coated to guard against corrosion. Brakes are silent as possible and grab really nice.
The following users liked this post:
clintbmu (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GLK 350 4matic
Sorry for the delayed response. I was sick with covid for 3 weeks. All better now. He swapped them with semi-metallic pads from O'Reilly, brand name Brake Best Select. I called and the pads have a life time guarantee so the sales rep said he would swap them out for ceramic pads, but it would be one the brands they carry in store (not Akebono). I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible since I'm not keeping the car much longer.

Do you think any brand of ceramic pads (without changing the rotors) will eliminate the squealing?

Last edited by clintbmu; 11-19-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 GLK350 4Matic
Ceramic pads

Originally Posted by clintbmu
Sorry for the delayed response. I was sick with covid for 3 weeks. All better now. He swapped them with semi-metallic pads from O'Reilly, brand name Brake Best Select. I called and the pads have a life time guarantee so the sales rep said he would swap them out for ceramic pads, but it would be one the brands they carry in store (not Akebono). I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible since I'm not keeping the car much longer.

Do you think any brand of ceramic pads (without changing the rotors) will eliminate the squealing?
I would tend to think most pads that are ceramic are made in a very similar fashion, You will have to determine that by possible reviews of any specific manufaturer or brand name. I did not ssve my brake parts information or I would direct you for it, but I am confident I purchased them from FCP or Pelican Parts. The cost was not horrible yet not the cheapest offering either.

I am sure some die hard merecedes owners are going to pledge to one set of rotorsor pads over other makes,but I would not be shocked if those brand names are actually made by someone that also makes "off brand" pads or rotors as well.

The famous Brembo brand name for performance brakes systems is something I bring to the attention that only recently the company started to actually make 100% all their own rotors, as not long ago the rotors were made from blanks shipped to them from a Chinese manufacturing company that made rotors for a variety of brand names. Brembo does have a quality control standard in what they make, but so do other brand names.

I hope you find what will work out for you and hope all the responses here have helped you, there is a lot of good information from everyone here.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 227 Posts
GLK 250
If you replace the pads, make sure to put a bit of brake caliper grease on the metal prongs of both INNER pads, where they insert into the caliper.