GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK250 DPF forced regen - soot sensor P2463 P24AF - SOLVED!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 03:14 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK250
GLK250 DPF forced regen - soot sensor P2463 P24AF - SOLVED!

Hi all, just providing this information to help others that may run into DPF issues: GLK250 Bluetec 2015, 125K miles (just past the extended warranty, of course).

Using a $7 OBDII dongle from ebay and the best free Android App (I found after trying a lot of them) I'd learned the CEL was due to OBDII codes P2463 P24AF which relate to the particulate matter sensor (soot sensor) being out of range and DPF restricted.
The app also showed me one of the EGT sensor temperatures was bad so replaced that (details in my post on EGT sensors).
Also showed my DPF differential pressure sensor was bad, so I replaced that, but found the new sensor reading was the same as the old and I still had the P2463, P24AF codes. The app lied... returned the sensor.

So bought an
iCarSoft MB V2.0 iCarSoft MB V2.0
scanner as that said it supported DPF regen functionality. IT DOESN'T - returned.
Then bought a
Autel MK808 Autel MK808
scanner as that said it supported DPF regen. IT DOES - but didn't when I first got it. Had to update from v1.4 to v2.07 software.

The Autel diagnostics screen showed my DPF fill level to be 399%, with a soot content of 19.9g.
Switching to the service menu there are two DPF regen routines. I did the stationary one first which involves 10mins of idling - no change to the soot content, so then I did the "while driving" regen. That involves driving at 30mph for 30mins while the DPF gets baked. That worked a charm. The Autel showed the soot content reducing to zero over the 30mins the regen while driving was active.

No CEL or codes now. Problem solved!
The following 6 users liked this post by Medic8ed:
andreigbs (12-07-2020), Fagunza (01-26-2021), FullMoonParty (01-18-2021), karmikan (01-18-2021), slmskrs (01-25-2021), TDIDave (06-22-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-07-2020, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 270 Likes on 228 Posts
GLK 250
Nicely done, and thanks for specifying which scanner did the job. I'll look into adding it to my collection.

As for % soot content, that's a weird number. Typically DPFs don't trigger a regen until 22-25g of soot. At least my X3d does. Good to know that you got the problem sorted, now you should be set for the future.

Btw, I thought I was "high mileage" at 123K miles...you've got me beat!
The following users liked this post:
Medic8ed (12-08-2020)
Old 01-18-2021, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK250
Thanks for the tool spec

I also returned the icarsoft as it was useless for the DPF. Good to know the right scanner now. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2021, 05:46 PM

GLK250
Thumbs up

It's been a couple months now since I forced the regen using the Autel. I've had no repeat issues with DPF/CEL and the car passed it's State Inspection without any issues too :-)
The following 3 users liked this post by Medic8ed:
andreigbs (01-19-2021), Fagunza (01-26-2021), karmikan (01-18-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 04:34 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 GLK250, 2022 Tesla MYLR, 1997 Correct Craft Ski Nautique
Originally Posted by Medic8ed
Hi all, just providing this information to help others that may run into DPF issues: GLK250 Bluetec 2015, 125K miles (just past the extended warranty, of course).

Using a $7 OBDII dongle from ebay and the best free Android App (I found after trying a lot of them) I'd learned the CEL was due to OBDII codes P2463 P24AF which relate to the particulate matter sensor (soot sensor) being out of range and DPF restricted.
The app also showed me one of the EGT sensor temperatures was bad so replaced that (details in my post on EGT sensors).
Also showed my DPF differential pressure sensor was bad, so I replaced that, but found the new sensor reading was the same as the old and I still had the P2463, P24AF codes. The app lied... returned the sensor.

So bought an iCarSoft MB V2.0 scanner as that said it supported DPF regen functionality. IT DOESN'T - returned.
Then bought a Autel MK808 scanner as that said it supported DPF regen. IT DOES - but didn't when I first got it. Had to update from v1.4 to v2.07 software.

The Autel diagnostics screen showed my DPF fill level to be 399%, with a soot content of 19.9g.
Switching to the service menu there are two DPF regen routines. I did the stationary one first which involves 10mins of idling - no change to the soot content, so then I did the "while driving" regen. That involves driving at 30mph for 30mins while the DPF gets baked. That worked a charm. The Autel showed the soot content reducing to zero over the 30mins the regen while driving was active.

No CEL or codes now. Problem solved!
Great info!! Thanks!! Since I live in California, I can't delete the system.

A few questions:
* Did you find out why your DPF fill level showed 399%? I think my sender unit is messed up so getting an error code and figure I'll have to replace the whole top unit in the tank.
* Is there any way to force the regen other than buying the Autel scanner?
* On the cheaper iCarSoft scanner, did the manufacturer just say it won't work on our GLK250's? What was the excuse/reason?
* On the 30mph@30 minutes, is that specified? I have plenty of places where I can go 60 or 70 for 30 minutes non-stop, but nowhere I can go just 30 without stopping and starting?

If the Autel scanner is the least expensive scanner that will work on this, I'll have to find out if it will read all the codes I need for my '05 Jag. I have an ODB blue tooth dongle and pair it up with the "Torque" app. It's been good for pulling codes and resetting them when the CEL comes on. But it seems to be just high level codes, and I need to be able to see codes for the Jag's air suspension, etc. If the Autel will work equally well on both, I might bite the bullet. Otherwise I might want to see if someplace rents them out. You interested?!!!
Old 01-25-2021, 07:00 PM

GLK250
Originally Posted by slmskrs
Great info!! Thanks!! Since I live in California, I can't delete the system.

A few questions:
* Did you find out why your DPF fill level showed 399%? I think my sender unit is messed up so getting an error code and figure I'll have to replace the whole top unit in the tank.
* Is there any way to force the regen other than buying the Autel scanner?
* On the cheaper iCarSoft scanner, did the manufacturer just say it won't work on our GLK250's? What was the excuse/reason?
* On the 30mph@30 minutes, is that specified? I have plenty of places where I can go 60 or 70 for 30 minutes non-stop, but nowhere I can go just 30 without stopping and starting?

If the Autel scanner is the least expensive scanner that will work on this, I'll have to find out if it will read all the codes I need for my '05 Jag. I have an ODB blue tooth dongle and pair it up with the "Torque" app. It's been good for pulling codes and resetting them when the CEL comes on. But it seems to be just high level codes, and I need to be able to see codes for the Jag's air suspension, etc. If the Autel will work equally well on both, I might bite the bullet. Otherwise I might want to see if someplace rents them out. You interested?!!!
* The 399% was exactly what it said on the Autel. I think I got into DPF issues in the first place after an EGT sensor failed (which I ignored for 6 months and believe stops DPF cycles) so DPF could have been building up all that time without cleaning.
* Not that I know of, I tried long drives, being hard on the throttle and cycling throttle events without success.
* I bought an iCarSoft MB v2.0 first which advertises that it does do regen, but it does not for GLK (so I returned it and got the Autel Maxicom MK808. Important! MK808 didn't do DPF out of the box either. I had to update the firmware to latest to get the DPF for GLK functions).
* Yes, the Autel gives those specific instructions on the screen, and will not start/maintain the cycle unless the conditions are met. I tried at highway speeds but it exits the program. Lucky I had a couple mile long 45mph dual lane by me with a traffic circle either end. Just rolled along there with the hazards going. You can see the DFP % decrease on the screen during the program. I got from 399% down to zero in 25mins, so should be faster for a lesser blockage.
* Ha! Get it on Amazon and just returned it when you're done

Old 01-25-2021, 09:31 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 GLK250, 2022 Tesla MYLR, 1997 Correct Craft Ski Nautique
Originally Posted by Medic8ed
* The 399% was exactly what it said on the Autel. I think I got into DPF issues in the first place after an EGT sensor failed (which I ignored for 6 months and believe stops DPF cycles) so DPF could have been building up all that time without cleaning.
* Not that I know of, I tried long drives, being hard on the throttle and cycling throttle events without success.
* I bought an iCarSoft MB v2.0 first which advertises that it does do regen, but it does not for GLK (so I returned it and got the Autel Maxicom MK808. Important! MK808 didn't do DPF out of the box either. I had to update the firmware to latest to get the DPF for GLK functions).
* Yes, the Autel gives those specific instructions on the screen, and will not start/maintain the cycle unless the conditions are met. I tried at highway speeds but it exits the program. Lucky I had a couple mile long 45mph dual lane by me with a traffic circle either end. Just rolled along there with the hazards going. You can see the DFP % decrease on the screen during the program. I got from 399% down to zero in 25mins, so should be faster for a lesser blockage.
* Ha! Get it on Amazon and just returned it when you're done
Ah, I miss read. When you said fill level at 399%, I was thinking the DEF tank, not the DPF.
Was the MK808 easy to update the FW?
Don't know how I'll be able to do 30mph. The only place without signals is the freeway, and mininmum speed is 45..... sigh
(like your idea about amazon... But I checked and it apparently will read all my air suspension codes on the jag. So I'll try it and see if it will do everything. If not, then I can return it after doing the regen...
Old 05-23-2021, 01:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK250 2015
FOXWELL NT510 is the answer not icarsoft

https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-fo...pf#post8341660