GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

MB BlueTEC Settlement Site is UP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK 250
Originally Posted by ExecNav
Dropped my '13 GLK off two days ago and the SA called today and said MB sent a memo out saying do NOT perform AEM on any passenger (non-commercial?) vehicles. They've called MB repeatedly and can't get an answer as to why. Anyone else experience this?
Interesting, I am scheduled to drop off my '14 GLK on Friday Morning.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:56 PM

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts
GLC300 (mine) GLK250 (wife's)
Originally Posted by andreigbs
Meanwhile, the GLC is just OK. We wouldn't buy one, in short.
Agree. I prefer driving my wife's GLK over my GLC. For some reason the GLK drives like a small car in the city and a large car on the highway. The GLC feels like a large car all the time (if that makes any sense). Love the GLK's diesel, the torque's addictive.
The following users liked this post:
Galindawagen (08-28-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 273 Likes on 231 Posts
GLK 250
Dropped my '13 GLK off two days ago and the SA called today and said MB sent a memo out saying do NOT perform AEM on any passenger (non-commercial?) vehicles. They've called MB repeatedly and can't get an answer as to why. Anyone else experience this?
That is interesting. Thanks for the update. I haven’t heard anything to that effect; in fact, I haven’t heard anything at all yet.

End of day 2 now.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Originally Posted by karmikan
Agree. I prefer driving my wife's GLK over my GLC. For some reason the GLK drives like a small car in the city and a large car on the highway. The GLC feels like a large car all the time (if that makes any sense). Love the GLK's diesel, the torque's addictive.
The GLC feels too light (though it’s not) and not insulated enough. Way too much cabin noise at freeway speeds. The engine is raspy not in a good way. I like the creature comforts but the drive is uninspiring.

The fuel economy plain sucks, especially paying for premium fuel. The only thing I really like is the 3D Navi and the 9 gears. Other than that, they can keep it.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 and 2015 GLK250
Just got this email from my dealer:
We’re happy to take care of your complimentary Approved Emission Modification for your Mercedes‑Benz. Visit the BlueTEC II site to check the status of your modification: https://bluetecupdate.mbusa.com/home or contact XXXXXX Imports to learn more.
Contact us for your complimentary
Emission Modification.
I've already done my '15. Waiting on the '14 until I've done my evaluation of fix. So far it's looking good. I agree with a couple of other posters that the trans seems to shift a little differently, but not in a bad way. Presently, the mileage is the same or slightly better.
andreigbs (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Good to know, thanks @Fagunza

My dealer said they're almost done with mine except for a few parts, and it may be ready late today or definitely first thing Monday AM (It's Friday AM now, day 4).
Fagunza (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 01:54 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
Interested to know if the transmission oil in the work order was just a top off, or a full flush. Can't tell from work order
Old 04-16-2021, 02:10 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 SL450
Mine got done with a smile by Carlton Motorcars in Greenville, SC. What's more, my check engine light had just lit up and that was the DEF heater unit ($1700 installed at the dealer), but that was covered by the extended warranty that accompanies the settlement campaign. So they replace that, and all fluids (DEF, etc.) free of charge. Plus a hand wash, of course.

Runs like a charm, just as fast as before, same diesel mileage we used to have. Some have said there is more loudness post-recall, but I can't notice any difference.

Just sent in my application for the very hefty settlement check.
andreigbs (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Good to know. My CEL was on as well, for the DPF being "full" and the DEF heater fault. Hopefully I'm getting a new AdBlue tank unit as well.

I'll find out more Monday, will report back.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:30 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 Mercedes GLK250, 2007 Mazda 3 GT, 2004 Honda XR400R
Had this service done on my '14 GLK just last week. No noticeable difference for me either so far. Had a loaner GLA, meh. The DCT doesn't belong in that vehicle at all.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:33 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Bob338
They do update the control software so I'm presuming what is happening is intended. First, the shifter display is different than before. In Drive the display only showed "D" unless you downshifted with the paddle in which case the display showed a D with the number of the gear it was in. It never showed the gears in normal driving without use of the paddles. Now mine shows every gear it's in while driving normally, either accelerating or stopping, or using the paddles. Going through the gears the display will show D1, D2, D3, etc., as it shifts and the shifts are noticeable. Same when slowing down. At the initial start the display was totally confused. It showed only numbers, no initial. The numbers seemed to mix after driving a block or so, some with numbers only and others with the D. It drove and shifted as needed then normalized as above. However, the shifts are more discernible now where before they were imperceptible. Same from a normal start from a stop. Before I couldn't perceive the shifts unless I focused on them. Now they seem a bit more pronounced. Nothing negative, just "different". I'm sure the display confusion is a software issue and unless I see something negative about it, along with its confusion with no letters and only numbers, I'll just live with it for a while. I've contacted the dealer but I'm pretty certain the only people that can answer are Mercedes-Benz. The car drives a bit differently and I prefer the 'old' style rather than this, but I see nothing truly negative nor alarming.
I've driven mine locally more than normal. I'm satisfied all the changes are the way it's going to be and I now have no intentions of returning to the dealer. I seldom use this car locally for short drives. However, I used it several times since the above post. Gradually the software issue with the gear display 'normalized'. I no longer get a display of numbers only using Drive. The display continues to show the gear it's in under all circumstances. The jumble of numbers displayed after a cold start has disappeared and the display shows the gear it's in. The gears shifts are more noticeable than before the update but not objectionable. I'm satisfied. I've also submitted all the paperwork for the payout.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK250
Good to know. My CEL was on as well, for the DPF being "full" and the DEF heater fault. Hopefully I'm getting a new AdBlue tank unit as well.

I'll find out more Monday, will report back.

What was the verdict on that Adblue heater? I took mine in last week for the AEM modification and they replaced a few parts outlined in the letter from Mercedes (DPF, NOX sensors, DOC etc..) but nothing pertaining to the DEF system despite having a P203D code on the CEL before and after my appointment. I had to go in there today and ask why they ignored the CEL and didn't touch the DEF system despite being outlined as parts covered in the extended warranty in the letter from Mercedes. The SA simply said "I'm not at liberty to discuss anything related to the settlement" and scheduled me another appointment for this Wednesday. This seems so damn shady..
Old 04-19-2021, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Originally Posted by mgrych
What was the verdict on that Adblue heater? I took mine in last week for the AEM modification and they replaced a few parts outlined in the letter from Mercedes (DPF, NOX sensors, DOC etc..) but nothing pertaining to the DEF system despite having a P203D code on the CEL before and after my appointment. I had to go in there today and ask why they ignored the CEL and didn't touch the DEF system despite being outlined as parts covered in the extended warranty in the letter from Mercedes. The SA simply said "I'm not at liberty to discuss anything related to the settlement" and scheduled me another appointment for this Wednesday. This seems so damn shady..
Agreed. I just came to pick up my GLK and nothing in the paperwork indicates anything was replaced as far as the AdBlue system.

I still have the permanent code for the heater, no CEL for it, HOWEVER... after only 10 miles, I got a loss of power and CEL came on. Good thing I brought my code reader, which said it was a P0299 underboost situation.

So I swung back around to the shop and am waiting to see what they’ll find. I’m not pleased...
Old 04-19-2021, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK250 BlueTec
To follow up on this, I had to come pick up my GLK about a week ago as the SA advised me that MBUSA instructed them to NOT do the AEM work on my vehicle and they didn't know when it would be resolved or why. So today after returning from a business trip, I called about rescheduling, left a voice mail, and got a call back from the SA a few minutes later. This time, it's that they have a GLK there now that just had the AEM and it's giving them a start count down. They don't want to perform the work on mine until they figure out why that one is malfunctioning.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:52 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 SL450
To follow up on this, I had to come pick up my GLK about a week ago as the SA advised me that MBUSA instructed them to NOT do the AEM work on my vehicle and they didn't know when it would be resolved or why. So today after returning from a business trip, I called about rescheduling, left a voice mail, and got a call back from the SA a few minutes later. This time, it's that they have a GLK there now that just had the AEM and it's giving them a start count down. They don't want to perform the work on mine until they figure out why that one is malfunctioning.
Sounds like they don't know how to do it. My GLK was done just fine, as I've indicated in a different thread. They even fixed a CEL for the DEF heating unit as part of the campaign, no charge.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Still waiting to hear what the underboost issue stems from and how they fixed it. It's now been 8 days that they've had it.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:51 PM

Received 133 Likes on 88 Posts
GLK250 ML350
Still waiting to hear what the underboost issue stems from and how they fixed it. It's now been 8 days that they've had it.
Hopefully they will fix for you for free. It seems the emission parts wont last long again. So far , there are no updates in Canada. I am debating if i should reverse my dpf delete to get the settlement
Old 04-21-2021, 04:45 PM

GLK250
Originally Posted by MarylandGLK250B
Sounds like they don't know how to do it. My GLK was done just fine, as I've indicated in a different thread. They even fixed a CEL for the DEF heating unit as part of the campaign, no charge.
Can you upload a copy of your paperwork/techsheet? I have the same issue with the adblueheater but they want me to pay and say it's not covered under the extended warranty. My dealership FYI is terrible.. They tried on multiple occasions to charge me for warrantied items and unless I can prove it via part numbers and tech specs in writing, they won't.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
You should bring your MB packet with you to the dealer/service manager. It lists on 2 pages all of the items covered under the extended warranty; the DEF/AdBlue system is on that list.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:45 AM

GLK250
You should bring your MB packet with you to the dealer/service manager. It lists on 2 pages all of the items covered under the extended warranty; the DEF/AdBlue system is on that list.
I did, It lists the module, pump, injector, and injector controller in the list. They say it's not any of those pieces and therefor isn't covered
Old 04-22-2021, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
LOL, shows you how much they know (almost nothing). The heater is part of the pump, inside the DEF tank. It's all one unit: pump, heater, sensor, etc. The injector is separate, in the exhaust stream.

You may need to involve MB corporate by phone.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:54 PM

GLK250
LOL, shows you how much they know (almost nothing). The heater is part of the pump, inside the DEF tank. It's all one unit: pump, heater, sensor, etc. The injector is separate, in the exhaust stream.

You may need to involve MB corporate by phone.
I called the phone number from the settlement paperwork, but they were unhelpful.. They are requesting $2270 for a new preheater - Part number 204-471-05-75 which when I look up, I keep finding this part called "repair kit"

Do you have any solid technical data showing that the preheater/level sensor is part of the pump or other warrantied component?
Old 04-22-2021, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
I’m away from my PC but hopefully someone else can chime in. I would call MB corporate, not the settlement firm. Tell corporate the local dealer is giving you the runaround regarding a required emissions component repair.

I’ll find the DEF tank and innards info as soon as I get back. The parts places online should have a breakdown of parts for the DEF system, and the preheater is included.

Your dealer is trying to get away with shady behavior, in my opinion.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
@mgrych Here is the repair kit which clearly says "Part included with tank assy" and "2.1l, emission reduction system, preheater"

You can see item #12 is the kit and it is part of the AdBlue tank. Item #9 is the SCR injector module.

Typically dealers will replace the entire tank unit which includes item #12. Either way, the preheater is REQUIRED for the AdBlue system to work properly, which is REQUIRED for the exhaust system to work properly, which means the dealer is REQUIRED to replace all defective parts associated with the system. Period.

#12 is the repair kit, which is a new sensor, pre-heater and pump, all installed INSIDE the AdBlue tank (item #2)

Last edited by andreigbs; 04-22-2021 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:31 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
interesting, I found this PDF which has step by step (with pics) on how a dealer is supposed to do the AEM
for GLK250
BlueTEC Update – GLK (X204) – 2014-2015 Mercedes-Benz GLK250 | Mercedes-Benz & Smart (oemdtc.com)

for E250
<https://static.oemdtc.com/Recall/P-EC-2020050029.pdf>

P-EC-2020050029.pdf (oemdtc.com)

andreigbs (04-22-2021)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MB BlueTEC Settlement Site is UP