GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

MB BlueTEC Settlement Site is UP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 11:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK250
Originally Posted by Fagunza
Here's what my work order looks like. The dealer had the car for two full days.
Seems to run the same. I'll compare the mileage after I've gone through a tank. I've had problems with the emissions system on my '15 before. The DPF clogged and had to be replaced at 15,500 miles - also the DEF injector was leaking and spraying the exhaust causing white smoke to come from under the hood. My wife's '14 has been totally trouble free. Knock on wood.

work order
My AEM was performed on 5/12 and shared this same work order (Fagunza's). No noticeable changes in performance or issues to date after ~700 miles driving. Just submitted my claim with fingers crossed... Does anyone know when payments might go out?
Old 06-07-2021, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 273 Likes on 231 Posts
GLK 250
If I were a betting man, I'd say probably not before July 20th. That's the next court date at which this issue is supposed to be all buttoned up.

I would expect to see checks being mailed out starting with August (hopefully).
The following users liked this post:
pkov8 (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,394 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
The following court hearing is/was scheduled this summer, so knowing how the wheels turn, I am not expecting the checks before February... if we are lucky.
The whole process took 4 years, so keep the perspective.
pkov8 (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 01:45 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
Originally Posted by kajtek1
The following court hearing is/was scheduled this summer, so knowing how the wheels turn, I am not expecting the checks before February... if we are lucky.
The whole process took 4 years, so keep the perspective.
its also not clear when you can sell the car before the check arrives.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:00 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
I remember reading something in the docs that said it would be wound up in November. That would mean checks issued then. They won't be issued piecemeal. So, if the legal matters are to be finished in November, checks after that, or concurrent. Whatever will be, will be!
Old 06-10-2021, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,394 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Originally Posted by bugelrex
its also not clear when you can sell the car before the check arrives.
I already sold 1 of mine.
I did the AEM and I did file the claim, what gives me $2600 check when PO will make the claim as well.
If not, I will claim full $3500
Old 06-26-2021, 12:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 and 2015 GLK250
Post "Fix" update

I've finally accumulated enough mileage for my ride to have completed two full regeneration cycles. I've installed a temporary scan tool that allows me to see when the car goes into a regen cycle. What I've noticed is that nothing happens until the soot level gets to 82% according to my gauge. So, between 82% to 89% the car does short cycles to keep the soot level in that range for about 350-400 total miles driven. After that, even with short squirts of DEF fluid the soot level continues to climb. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm driving around town or on the freeway.

The second that the soot level goes to 100% the car goes into a full regeneration cycle. From what I've seen the time/miles driven during the cycle can vary. During the first regen, I tried to drive until it ended, even circling the block several times but gave up and parked. The soot level had fallen from 100% to 32%. When I drove the car the following day, after warming up, it went right back to the regen mode until I parked a few miles later. On the next start up I noticed the cycle was over and the soot level had fallen to 10%. Although I didn't want to shut down during regeneration I thought why not as you wouldn't normally know if it was in progress. I did note that the catalyst or something in the exhaust system was going tik, tik, tik as it cooled down.

Yesterday, I was able to see an entire cycle while on the freeway. The soot level hit 100% and the regen cycle came on and stayed on for about 20 minutes until the soot level hit 0%.
Since the fix was completed, the DEF level has gone from 52% to 46% and I've driven a total of 1003 miles. My gauge shows that the average distance between cycles for the first regen was 358 miles while the second was 415. I know this adds up to 773 miles not the 1003 that I've driven, but who knows how the computer figures that. Your mileage may vary as they say. FWIW, my wife's car shows an average distance between cycles to be 200 miles. Her car has not had the modification done yet.

DEF=fluid level RGN=regen ON/OFF ADR=avg dist between regen STL=soot level

The following 4 users liked this post by Fagunza:
andreigbs (06-26-2021), bugelrex (06-27-2021), FullMoonParty (06-27-2021), pkov8 (08-21-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 11:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
ML 250
The MB Bluetec Settlement site (https://www.mbbluetecsettlement.com/) updated - the settlement received final approval yesterday. I believe yesterday was also the deadline for former owners to file, so maybe they can start cutting checks soon.
greenchevette (07-13-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 01:27 PM

2014 and 2015 GLK250
Post AEM update

Took my 2015 in after the modification for a B service. I told the SA that the transmission has been downshifting hard. I've also noticed what I would describe as the transmission slipping during upshifts into higher gears occasionally as you back off the throttle. It's like the trans can't decide what to do. He said that there was some reprogramming done during the mod and that other's were complaining as well. It turns out that Mercedes has developed a software update to correct issues induced during the mod. My work order had the following: 271047 Perform adaptation (AFTER REPAIR) test. The sign off was: performed transmission adaptation. I haven't driven it enough to judge the repair yet.

Regarding the AEM, my wife drove my car last week and told me that if the mod makes her car drive like that, we will NOT be doing the AEM to her car. I told this to my SA as I asked to schedule a service A for her car. He said that if I bring it in for service, Mercedes requires them to do the mod. So, I said, never mind. I did remind him that the paperwork that we got from Mercedes said in paragraph VII. Customer Notices: If you choose to decline the emission modification at this time. . . etc. So I'm of the opinion that it can be declined. He said that he could add that to the work order and see what happens. I said no thanks. Guess I'll be going to indy's for future service.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:14 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 GLK250
Regarding the AEM, my wife drove my car last week and told me that if the mod makes her car drive like that, we will NOT be doing the AEM to her car. I told this to my SA as I asked to schedule a service A for her car. He said that if I bring it in for service, Mercedes requires them to do the mod. So, I said, never mind. I did remind him that the paperwork that we got from Mercedes said in paragraph VII. Customer Notices: If you choose to decline the emission modification at this time. . . etc. So I'm of the opinion that it can be declined. He said that he could add that to the work order and see what happens. I said no thanks. Guess I'll be going to indy's for future service.
Besides missing out on the cash for the update and the extended warranty, your local government may or may not allow renewal of registration or transfer of title of the vehicle without the modification completed. Will be interesting to see if the mod is done after the recall period if the cost then falls to the owner.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
if the mod is done after the recall period if the cost then falls to the owner

I'd doubt that, as it's a required MB fix. However, if there are other issues that prevent the fix from being done, the owner would have to pay out of pocket to repair those.

Also, it would be safe to assume that if the fix is not performed within a certain time period, owners will not be able to renew their registration or be able to operate those Bluetecs on public roads.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 C63 P31 and '14 GLK Bluetec
Originally Posted by andreigbs
Update: The stealership finally got my car "done." They got a new part installed (wastegate controller) and told me all is well, come pick it up. I asked them have they test driven it out on the roads to make sure it makes the requested boost, they said sure thing, they've driven it around and it's all good.

Anxious, I drove up there close to closing time and picked it up. Literally no sooner than I pulled out of the drive, the CEL came on!! GRRRR!!! I can't express the level of frustration, having picked up the thing 3 times now and still not properly fixed. In the back of my mind, knowing the underboost code is MOST LIKELY related to a split in the intercooler boost hose(s), I decided to drive it home. Monkey Shoulder helped ease my pain.

This morning, I put it up on ramps, take off bellypan and what was staring me in the face??

Not one, but TWO tears in the driver's side boost hose

Here's another view:

So, I patched it up with several rounds of tape so it'll hold until I get the new one delivered. Took it out for a drive and all my power is back, no CEL, and all is finally well. Diagnosis took all of 30 minutes. I feel like calling the stealership and yelling for several long minutes, but I'm sure that won't be productive. In the end, I know how to fix it and the AEM has been completed. Now to get my monies.

Question for the group: how should I deal with the stealership? How would you make them feel about misdiagnosing and getting it wrong 3 times in a row? Keep in mind, this place is 50 minutes from my house and I made 3 separate drives up and down. I'm just at a loss for words to express what I truly think of them, knowing it won't help my relationship with them in the future if I ever need warranty work post-AEM.

What would you do?
Wanted to send some THANKS to andreigbs for sharing his story. The wife's GLK just popped a CEL following the warranty work and after a quick look in the engine bay I found the exact same scenario. Will be picking up the replacement hose this afternoon ($126 from dealership) and hopefully have her fixed up by the weekend.

8/2 update - new charge hose easily installed, full power restored, and CEL vanished. Thanks again @andreigbs

Last edited by greenchevette; 08-02-2021 at 10:38 AM.
andreigbs (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Originally Posted by greenchevette
8/2 update - new charge hose easily installed, full power restored, and CEL vanished. Thanks again @andreigbs
Awesome to hear, glad I could help another forum member and fellow dieselhead
Old 08-07-2021, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 343 Likes on 272 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
I've installed a temporary scan tool that allows me to see when the car goes into a regen cycle.
How do you like that scanner for the GLK250? I'm looking for one that can monitor those sorts of things specific to the BlueTEC Diesel and am having a tough time figuring out which products can. Maybe it's common they can, or common they can't, but I don't know for sure...

TIA...
Old 08-08-2021, 04:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 GL 350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by roundedXZN
The MB Bluetec Settlement site (https://www.mbbluetecsettlement.com/) updated - the settlement received final approval yesterday. I believe yesterday was also the deadline for former owners to file, so maybe they can start cutting checks soon.

Has anyone received their checks yet or do we know how long it takes once it has been filed?
Old 08-09-2021, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
No monies received yet.
Ntuck (08-09-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 12:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
ML 250
I emailed them about this on July 16th, just to get a timeline. Here's what they said:
Thank you for your email. Claims Processing has just begun. We do not have specific payment dates at this time. Please continue to check the Settlement Website for updates.
So they're processing claims, at least, though who knows where they're at in that process. I'm guessing they're going to process former owner claims first, so maybe some of the former owners can chime in when they get a check.
Old 08-21-2021, 05:13 PM

2014 and 2015 GLK250
Originally Posted by John CC
How do you like that scanner for the GLK250? I'm looking for one that can monitor those sorts of things specific to the BlueTEC Diesel and am having a tough time figuring out which products can. Maybe it's common they can, or common they can't, but I don't know for sure...

TIA...
At the time I purchased this one, I couldn't find any scanners that were BlueTec specific. So I bought this one because it has the capability of making your own readings which includes some specific to diesels. It is not very user friendly as you have to plug it into your OBD port with the ignition on in order to program it. Then you have to go several menus down to reach what they call the "X-Guage" area where you can set your own parameters and name them. This includes loading the PIDs (found on the company's website). There are actually four strings of letter/number combos that you have to punch in one character at a time to get the parameter to work. In my case, the listed PID for %DEF remaining did not work. I tried the one listed for the sprinter and both of my cars registered 60% - forever. I switched to the E250 PID and my '15 appears to work but my '14 stays at 100%. So there must be differences in the computers. Hope this helps.
Old 08-21-2021, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 343 Likes on 272 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
In my case, the listed PID for %DEF remaining did not work. I tried the one listed for the sprinter and both of my cars registered 60% - forever.
I think I'll keep looking. Meanwhile, I finally figured how to get into the "engineering display" in the speedometer. To my surprise, it has a DEF status screen. Mine is "Not Full". How's that for details?
Old 08-21-2021, 06:30 PM

2014 and 2015 GLK250
Seems to be about as much information as "Not Empty". LOL Good luck with your search.
Old 08-22-2021, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by Ntuck
Has anyone received their checks yet or do we know how long it takes once it has been filed?
Nope,not me. The last communication I got from them was acknowledgement that they got my documents. That was early July (just before the filing deadline).
Old 08-23-2021, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by listerone
Nope,not me. The last communication I got from them was acknowledgement that they got my documents. That was early July (just before the filing deadline).
Another tidbit for folks - I emailed them last week asking if they were able to verify if other claims were submitted against our VIN. Doesnt tell when or how much, but would be nice to know if we're getting max refund etc. Will reply if I get any details.
listerone (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Another tidbit for folks - I emailed them last week asking if they were able to verify if other claims were submitted against our VIN. Doesnt tell when or how much, but would be nice to know if we're getting max refund etc. Will reply if I get any details.
A good point. I've wondered the same thing. My Bluetec was totaled...in Canada. So it's hard to know if it ever hit the road again or,perhaps,was broken down for parts. And if it did hit the road again was it in the US,or Canada and could the VIN have been changed to comply with Canadian law?
Old 08-24-2021, 10:00 AM

I did end up hearing back, but it was the same canned response @roundedXZN received
Old 08-28-2021, 07:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'13 GLK250; historically, '81 300TD wagon. He indoors: '85 300TD coupe.
Originally Posted by Bob338
I had one as well. That was EXACTLY my sentiments!
I've had my 2013 GLK250BT for two weeks (took possession of it just in time for a 3000 mi round trip family visit, during which my entire fam fell in love with it - even through a 10.5 hour day's worth of incidents on I-95 and US1 on the final leg). I took it into the dealership for the AEM on Thursday.

The loaner is a 2021 GLC300. If this had been the only diesel, 4wd, MB SUV available when I was shopping, I would have gone with another make. It's amusing my son to be complaining about a new Mercedes' inferiority to Galinda, and this has been a good object lesson in "superseded is not always exceeded".

I've been told to expect to have the loaner for up to a week, and this week is going to be a long one. I had wondered if the GLK was going to spoil me for all other vehicles and apparently the answer is "Yes". What is the opposite of Buyer's Remorse?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MB BlueTEC Settlement Site is UP