GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

New X204 owner - water in footwells

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S4/M3
New X204 owner - water in footwells

Ran the wife's GLK350 (2014, 22k mi) through the touch free car wash. I got a fair amount of water in the forward corner of the passenger footwell. As the carwash was ending, I could see the water pouring down from behind the trim piece directly next to the glove box. Water also entered the driver footwell, but I didn't see where/how it entered (though roughly the same location).

I'm guessing (hoping?) its a sunroof drain, but didn't find much in searhing about this being a common issue. I see what I beleive are the drains to the front of the tracks (on the vertical sheetmetal) on either side (with a metal cross over them) - am I in the right spot and on the right track in terms of this being the issue? Should some compressed air solve the issue?
Old 08-09-2021, 09:39 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 C320
First of all I don't know for definite the answer to your question. I wouldn't think compressed air would be a problem however I'd regulate the pressure. I'd start as low as possible. I personally believe this is your problem. Sometimes YouTube is a good resource also. Best of luck to you.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 227 Posts
GLK 250
Agreed, sunroof drain(s) sounds like the problem. If you park your car outside much of the time, those small drain holes can get plugged up with dirt, leaves, pollen, dust, etc. You may even want to consider a small, flexible snake type tool that can be used to gently force accumulated gunk out of there, in combination with some pressurized air and/or water application.

I think YouTube videos like
may be helpful.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (08-10-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 03:13 AM

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 GLC 4Matic
I believe the water almost surely came through the HVAC intake located above and behind the battery. If the AC was not switched to recirculate and the fan was running water from the carwash will be sucked into the vent intake and overflow the drain system. I have the same model, I had the same issue. I ran the car with the blower running high-ish, non recirculate through a car wash, same result. Vacuumed out the water, dried the car and mats. I opened up the airbox behind the Batt and all was revealed. Now I switch to recirculate and run the fan, if needed, low. I have not the issue occur since.
The following users liked this post:
Angela_lisa (07-25-2024)
Old 09-14-2021, 08:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 Mercedes Benz glk 350 4matic
Originally Posted by NY450SEL
Ran the wife's GLK350 (2014, 22k mi) through the touch free car wash. I got a fair amount of water in the forward corner of the passenger footwell. As the carwash was ending, I could see the water pouring down from behind the trim piece directly next to the glove box. Water also entered the driver footwell, but I didn't see where/how it entered (though roughly the same location).

I'm guessing (hoping?) its a sunroof drain, but didn't find much in searhing about this being a common issue. I see what I beleive are the drains to the front of the tracks (on the vertical sheetmetal) on either side (with a metal cross over them) - am I in the right spot and on the right track in terms of this being the issue? Should some compressed air solve the issue?

This past storm ida, plenty of rain came down and when we were about to go to work, we discovered that wife's 2014 glk350 have water on the driver side footwell. We just got the car less than a month. I poured water to the windshield and tried to see where will it be leaking to inside the car. The drains from the wiper area( driver, middle and passenger side were all draining to the bottom of the car which is good. The only thing I found was the plastic that meets the bottom of the windshield and covers the wiper were a little bit lifted up which I found water leaking by the fuse box. I pushed it down and it locked and clicked poured water again and no more leak. Hope this helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeklog:
andreigbs (09-15-2021), TarasGLK (07-25-2024)
Old 09-19-2021, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S4/M3
Thanks for all the input. I checked the drains in the front windshield cowel area and they look clean. I tried to thread some trimmer cord through them. Then tried the same with the sunroof drains and there is something preventing them passing. So I'm going to try the recirc method mentioned and hope that's right because I'm clueless as to how to service those drains.
Old 09-19-2021, 01:50 PM

Thanks for all the input. I checked the drains in the front windshield cowel area and they look clean. I tried to thread some trimmer cord through them. Then tried the same with the sunroof drains and there is something preventing them passing. So I'm going to try the recirc method mentioned and hope that's right because I'm clueless as to how to service those drains.
I hope you get to find out where the source of your water leak and get a fix for it. In my wife's glk, I found out that it was coming from under the driver side dash so I had an idea that it came from windshield area. I did not have to go as far as the sunroof. On another car that had water, my wife used to have a bmw wagon 525i and in that car there was a leak and collects to the rear floor driver and passenger. The problem was the seal behind the door panel which are not sealed anymore, so when water gets to the rear window or rear door passenger and driver side, the water is supposed to drain at the bottom of the door, but instead of going outside since the door seal behind the door panel is not sealed anymore, water will leak to the inside.

I'll attach picture of glk floor leak and where I think water was coming down from outside to inside. First pic is where hood latch is located

Old 09-23-2021, 09:30 PM

2014 glk 3504matic water on driver side floor when raining hard

Hey ny450sel and to who else is having this problem withered glk 3504matic. So I thought my wife's car leak at the driver's side floor was fixed, after couple of rounds of rain and nothing happening. Well tonight I found water again so my water on the driverside floor is not fixed. Going to try to look into it harder maybe this weekend and report back to you guys.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:59 PM

2014 glk 3504matic water on driver side floor when raining hard

I have a theory, after doing some test. I opened the sunroof and poured water where the drains were located. Driver side was slow to almost not draining and observed water going towards passenger side. Passenger side draining a lot better than driver side. My apology for not having a picture. Theory is drain is clogged or really slow but no drain hose is disconnected or broken but probably since the drain is slow at draining water the channel overflows to the other part that frames the sunroof cover then slides to the pillsr ends up in the driver side floor. Passenger floor no because the drain is still draining quick enough on that side not to overflow to the pillsr and then floor. I'm going to try to use a some sort of snake or a blow gun and unclog the drain. Like what u guys suggest. This theory is to put an explanation why it leak inside if the drains are clogged.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jeklog
I have a theory, after doing some test. I opened the sunroof and poured water where the drains were located. Driver side was slow to almost not draining and observed water going towards passenger side. Passenger side draining a lot better than driver side. My apology for not having a picture. Theory is drain is clogged or really slow but no drain hose is disconnected or broken but probably since the drain is slow at draining water the channel overflows to the other part that frames the sunroof cover then slides to the pillsr ends up in the driver side floor. Passenger floor no because the drain is still draining quick enough on that side not to overflow to the pillsr and then floor. I'm going to try to use a some sort of snake or a blow gun and unclog the drain. Like what u guys suggest. This theory is to put an explanation why it leak inside if the drains are clogged.
Update poured water on both drains driverside was slow. Open the wheel well cover but not the whole thing just 3tabs underneath the driver door and 2 back of front wheel. Open the cover the way I can reach the end of the drain. Pushed a coffee stirrer and poured water again. Used compressed air from the top then the bottom then poured water again. Water came down a lot better hopefully this fixes the problem. I did the passenger side too since I'm already working on it.

Old 07-25-2024, 04:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(CLK230 kompressor before) GLK280 now
Originally Posted by Jeklog
This past storm ida, plenty of rain came down and when we were about to go to work, we discovered that wife's 2014 glk350 have water on the driver side footwell. We just got the car less than a month. I poured water to the windshield and tried to see where will it be leaking to inside the car. The drains from the wiper area( driver, middle and passenger side were all draining to the bottom of the car which is good. The only thing I found was the plastic that meets the bottom of the windshield and covers the wiper were a little bit lifted up which I found water leaking by the fuse box. I pushed it down and it locked and clicked poured water again and no more leak. Hope this helps.
Could you please show the photo of this cover that need push?
Old 07-25-2024, 11:14 AM

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2014 GLK350 base model (active) ; 2001 E320 base (retired)
Originally Posted by TarasGLK
Could you please show the photo of this cover that need push?
That person only has 5 posts, all in this thread from 3 years ago. They may not reply 🙂

Check the photo below that I took a few minutes ago. I've circled what I think is the cover they are referring to (it's a guess)