GLK radio issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 08:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK 350
GLK radio issues

Good morning
Having issues with a GLK radio. When I first get in the truck and turn the radio on, all is fine. However, after stopping and turning off the engine, when I return and turn the radio on I hear a thumping noise from what seems to be each speaker sequentially. Also, when I try to tune the radio, the dial just speeds through every frequency and stops at the one it was on. There is no radio/CD/phone/XM at this time. Sometimes after driving for a while, it comes back, usually after at least a half-hour. This issue seems to occur more frequently on warm days when the truck is outside in the heat/sun. Two quick videos attached, one of the sound, one of the tuning.

Does anyone have any idea what causes this? Is the radio receiver going, or is it the amplifier? If I were to go the route of a new radio, are they coded to the specific vehicle?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_8857.mov (7.28 MB, 211 views)

Last edited by xmasbaby63; 09-08-2021 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:31 AM

GLK 350
Second video file

Last edited by xmasbaby63; 09-08-2021 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 212 Posts
2013 glk 350
It’s broken , get a unit on eBay cheap.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:59 AM

GLK 350
Figured as much. Would a replacement have to be coded to this vehicle?
The following users liked this post:
100Pyatt (02-12-2024)
Old 09-08-2021, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 glk 350
I don’t think so since you will be shopping for a used one, ask a few sellers that guarantee a return.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:55 AM

GLK 350
Thanks for the tip. Replaced the unit, new one works on startup but will have to wait to see if issue materializes again.

Now however, the backup camera does not come on when put in reverse. The display simply stays on the radio. Does the unit have to be reprogrammed?
Old 09-22-2021, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 glk 350
Go into the engineering menu with the radio, that’s where changes can be made. Look up how to access it, I forgot.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mmr1:
100Pyatt (02-12-2024), hceptj (03-02-2022)

Trending Topics

Old 09-25-2021, 11:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GLK 350
I came here with a very similar issue with the radio speakers popping on the wifes 2011 GLK350 . It is very consistant with how it operates or doesn't . The first time you turn the radio on after starting the car (for the first time of the day) the radio will operate fine . There are no signs of a bad speaker or amplifier etc , it works perfectly until you either turn the radio off or switch the car off . It will then click and pop all the speakers and you can not navigate the menu while it is doing this . The backup camera will work but the popping continues . The unit will not operate for the rest of the day . Next day repeat . If we turn the radio on after the 1st start of the day it will continue to operate fine even if we drive 300 miles , but as soon as we turn it or the car off it will start popping again and is finished for the day .

I was going to buy a used head unit off of Ebay until I read that it had to be programmed by the dealer to match the VIN . The dealer says they would just have to get it in for troubleshooting as it could be one of several modules and would not give a price to troubleshoot . We could live without the radio but using the backup camera is a headache with the speakers popping the whole time .

I thought some here may have ran into the same issue . Yours sounds very similar .
100Pyatt (02-12-2024)
Old 09-25-2021, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 glk 350
Used units don’t need programming , of course a dealer would tell you that bs
The following 2 users liked this post by Mmr1:
100Pyatt (02-12-2024), hceptj (03-02-2022)
Old 09-25-2021, 03:12 PM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by Benny Bryant
I came here with a very similar issue with the radio speakers popping on the wifes 2011 GLK350 . It is very consistant with how it operates or doesn't . The first time you turn the radio on after starting the car (for the first time of the day) the radio will operate fine . There are no signs of a bad speaker or amplifier etc , it works perfectly until you either turn the radio off or switch the car off . It will then click and pop all the speakers and you can not navigate the menu while it is doing this . The backup camera will work but the popping continues . The unit will not operate for the rest of the day . Next day repeat . If we turn the radio on after the 1st start of the day it will continue to operate fine even if we drive 300 miles , but as soon as we turn it or the car off it will start popping again and is finished for the day .

I was going to buy a used head unit off of Ebay until I read that it had to be programmed by the dealer to match the VIN . The dealer says they would just have to get it in for troubleshooting as it could be one of several modules and would not give a price to troubleshoot . We could live without the radio but using the backup camera is a headache with the speakers popping the whole time .

I thought some here may have ran into the same issue . Yours sounds very similar .
Exact same vehicle, exact same problem. However, we would eventually get the radio back at some point during an hour drive, if the unit was turned off. It seemed like the heat made the problem worse.

I bought a radio on ebay, making sure the VIN number identified a similar radio (I ended up with a single CD, had the changer) and making sure the unit was compatible. It seems that the 2010 isn't compatible with the 2011 and later ones have a slightly different roundedness to the faceplate.
I was concerned with coding it to my vehicle, but it worked right from the get-go. The only issue was the camera, which didn't work initially. However, after driving it, I realized that it now works. Perhaps driving it reset it. No dealer programming required.

If you want to do it yourself, this youtube video was fantastic. It really was one of the easiest jobs I've done and was done in under an hour.

Let us know how it turns out
andreigbs (09-27-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 03:14 PM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by Mmr1
Go into the engineering menu with the radio, that’s where changes can be made. Look up how to access it, I forgot.
Thanks, it started working sometime this week. I found out yesterday when I backed it out the driveway and realized hours later that I used the camera. Things you take for granted.....
Seems like it needed to reset itself.
100Pyatt (02-12-2024)
Old 09-25-2021, 03:41 PM

2011 GLK 350
That is interesting . Actually a dealer did not tell me that , it was the listings on Ebay that stated the donor vehicles VIN would be included and that a dealership would have to program it to my vehicles VIN . I may have to revisit that as it has been awhile since I looked into a used head unit .
Thanks
100Pyatt (02-12-2024)
Old 09-25-2021, 03:51 PM

2011 GLK 350
Originally Posted by xmasbaby63
Exact same vehicle, exact same problem. However, we would eventually get the radio back at some point during an hour drive, if the unit was turned off. It seemed like the heat made the problem worse.

I bought a radio on ebay, making sure the VIN number identified a similar radio (I ended up with a single CD, had the changer) and making sure the unit was compatible. It seems that the 2010 isn't compatible with the 2011 and later ones have a slightly different roundedness to the faceplate.
I was concerned with coding it to my vehicle, but it worked right from the get-go. The only issue was the camera, which didn't work initially. However, after driving it, I realized that it now works. Perhaps driving it reset it. No dealer programming required.

If you want to do it yourself, this youtube video was fantastic. It really was one of the easiest jobs I've done and was done in under an hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYyW-VFVTQY

Let us know how it turns out

I had watched that video a few weeks ago and as I owned a accessory shop for 20 years that did quite a few stereo installs , I still have all the specialized tools to take it all apart . I had put it on the back burner after reading that a dealer would still need to re-program a used unit . I think I'll look around Ebay again and give a used head unit a shot . I guess all I would be out is a couple hundred bucks , a couple hours and a few beers . Best case is it works and the wife is happy with her car again

Thanks a bunch
Old 09-26-2021, 09:42 AM

2011 GLK 350
This is the type wording that I still find on Ebay . Thoughts ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27224335148...cAAOxycD9TV-5I

"THIS SYSTEM IS UNLOCKED. BUT, SOME MODEL STILL NEED PROGRAMMING AT DEALER TO MAKE WORK INSTRUMENT CLUSTER WORK WITH NAV SYSTEM. THIS AUCTION ONLY NAV COMAND HEAD UNIT ONLY !! NO MONITOR OR OTHER PARTS FOR SALE!RIGHT NOW SYSTEM HAS BEEN PROGRAMMED WITH
  • HDD USA NAVIGATION - YES
  • HARMON KARDON SPEAKER SOUND - YES
  • 6DISC CD CHANGER - YES
  • BLUETOOTH - YES
  • UCI MEDIA INTERFACE - NO
  • SATELLITE RADIO - NO
  • AUX - YES
  • BACKUP CAMERA - NO
  • WE CAN PROGRAM RADIO TO MATCH UP WITH YOUR VIN NUMBER OPTION AS WELL $150 EXTRA )"

Old 09-26-2021, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 glk 350
OH - BULL ****
Old 09-27-2021, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 331 Likes on 264 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
To get people to pay the extra $150 up front, and never know the difference!
Old 03-01-2022, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glk350
Sounds problems

Hi everyone. I experience the same problem with the sound. In the morning when I start everything works well and if I stop the engine and turn it back on the sounds is gone and the speakers popping. So you said that changing the radio unit worked. A heard someone that it could be the amplifier. I don't know what to try and replace first. Thank you in advance.
Old 01-23-2024, 10:21 PM

Received 171 Likes on 131 Posts
2011 GLK 350 4Matic
I too just bought a "new" radio head unit (aka control unit) from eBay. Same exact part number (THAT was hard to find!), and like others have said, the eBay vendor (a very, very large vendor) suggested that I may need to contact MB with the donor vehicle VIN or the radio serial number. It sounds like (hopefully) that may not be necessary.

I did find a free code generator app, but it doesn't recognize the radio serial number.

I'm OK with just trying to swap the head unit (looks like an easy enough job) but it would be great to get a second opinion - will I need to contact MB to get a code or not?
Old 01-24-2024, 02:55 PM

Received 171 Likes on 131 Posts
2011 GLK 350 4Matic
Just to close out the issue - the NTG 4.0 radio indeed does NOT require a code to install a new radio (or reboot the original radio after disconnecting the battery, etc.). Kind of refreshing, though I did spend a fair amount of time trying to chase down the info.

I'll be doing a "radio ID, procurement and installation" video in the next few weeks.
Roadrashed (01-25-2024)