GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Help glk 250 engine warning adblue 10 starts.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2023, 12:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK 250
Help glk 250 engine warning adblue 10 starts.

So my wife just called she’s out of town. Back later. But said while driving engine light came on with subsequent warning for adblue and 10 starts left.

there was no adblue warning on startup. She doesn’t recall the engine light being on from start up but can’t confirm either way.

I filled adblue in the last 2 months. At that time we got the usual low warning dash message (no engine light) that went away after refill and a little driving.

we got the car in 2021 and shortly after had the NOx sensors replaced at Mercedes dealer for engine warning (not adblue).

when she returns I will run my obd scanner. And I’ve asked her to refill adblue on route home as she needs to stop for diesel. So with 8 starts left just want to know what are the options/chance of success that adblue top up will solve this.

if adblue is indeed low would could that trigger the start countdown. And could refilling adblue make this issue go away. Or is it a definite trip to a dealer?

Coincidently I am booked in for the bluetec settlement recall repair next week. 2 day job apparently. I assume this would resolve it too? Hopefully solves it permanently l?? and not a consistent 2 year NOx $$$ repair.

Side vent this car being low mileage and 2015. 2nd engine warning. Cabin air fan not starting every time, drivers window sometimes snags and won’t go up if you roll it all the way down. Random driving sensors stop on occasions so cruise won’t work etc. love driving it but compared to other cars I’ve owned she’s a sensitive one.

Glk 250 2015 (w/all bells and whistles) - and a engine warning light with impending doom countdown

Last edited by RustyBucketBay; 03-17-2023 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 331 Likes on 264 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
Put more ad blue in and if it doesn't clear, use your next start to get to the dealer.

When you added last, did you fill it? I've only had to add once since I got mine, and that was 10K miles after it was last filled. It took one key cycle (driving) to clear the message, but I wasn't in to the "countdown" phase.

The engine light never came on; there was a warning message.
Old 03-17-2023, 03:20 PM

GLK 250
@John CC

cheers, that’s the plan. I’ve only ever had to put adblue in twice. I’ve never “filled it” on either occasion. I’ve dumped the usual 10liter (2.5gal) fluid in.

the last time was about 2 months ago. Can’t imagine it went through it that fast. Certainty didn’t previously.

hopefully it clears, if it doesn’t I’ll buy some more and fill it.

Assuming it’s emissions related the recall service it’s going in for should fix it.

edit: re adding def 2 mo ago. Usual dash message “adblue low”. Added fluid promptly, and message cleared. No engine light at any point, just the low def message.

Last edited by RustyBucketBay; 03-17-2023 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My first guess is that one jug is good for somewhere around 3-5,000 miles.
The following users liked this post:
RustyBucketBay (03-17-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 07:24 PM

GLK 250
Yeah maybe she’s been doing a few longer trips.

but just learned today the def tank is over 7gal so almost 3 of those jugs. I’ll fill it to the top this eve and see how we go.
Old 03-17-2023, 09:00 PM

GLK 250
Well the plot thickens.

filled to brim. Needed about 17liters (4.5gal). So it wasn’t empty if it’s a 7gal tank.

I checked the obd scanner. A rake of warnings came up inc adblue obviously. But the bigger concern is soot warnings, and the permenant codes for NOx sensor A & B. I cleared codes, engine light went out. But message for 8starts didn’t clear.

fwiw put shell v power diesel in too just in case there was a low quality fuel at some place.

so the following codes didn’t clear. But I didn’t turn car off and back on again due to start limitation.

Does the bluetec field measure recall fix all this?

(Found the camera warning is the aux battery low voltage so can tackle that myself)

Old 03-17-2023, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My car had the AFM prior to me getting it, but my understanding is that any issues with the emission controls systems will be dealt with. Perhaps someone else with first hand knowledge will chime in. Mine got a new DPF and converter, and a bunch of related sensors, at least.
RustyBucketBay (03-17-2023)

Trending Topics

Old 03-17-2023, 10:53 PM

GLK 250
Forgot to say located in Canada in case that changes anything re field measure recall.
Old 03-18-2023, 12:16 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
Originally Posted by RustyBucketBay
Forgot to say located in Canada in case that changes anything re field measure recall.
"Technically" the verbiage of the recall in USA implies they only cover issues AFTER the AEM repair. Unclear if that technically is enforced when clearly its an emissions issue. Best advice is to find a dealer which has experience with diesels (look for sprinter vans in the parking lot). Your issue could be an emissions, or even as simple as a loose/bad cable
Old 03-20-2023, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 270 Likes on 228 Posts
GLK 250
I've read posts from owners who had CELs illuminated or other warning lights on before taking their Bluetecs in for the AEM, and being told any issue(s) need to be fixed BEFORE the emissions updates can be performed, so YMMV.

OP, while I have a BlueDriver scan tool and it works for most things, it's not the best tool for the job. You need to find and use a scan tool that is specific to MB, that can interpret manufacturer codes and be used to test/reset/adapt components. Something with the ability to force regens may also work. As @bugelrex points out, the miscommunication errors are indicative of either bad connection(s), wiring, or sensor(s), and it's difficult to say which ones or where.

Old 03-20-2023, 12:23 PM

GLK 250
@andreigbs cheers. Noted. I’ll find out tomorrow anyway. Considering I paid for NOx sensor to be fixed less than 2 years ago I’ll be negotiating hard if this is the issue.

and yes I’ll look into a MB software package if I’m going to deal with this long term.

I’ll report back on the outcome.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:47 PM

GLK 250
Well for those interested:

field measure completed 2 days in the shop.

the adblue start count down NOx sensor issue was genuine. There was significant water ingress to the padding beneath drivers seat. This corroded the lead going to the sensors. Actually lucky as whole wiring loom is there. Seat removed carpet and trim back. $1kCAD parts and labour. Took an extra half day on top of field measure repair.

fwiw they called re CEL and had no issues fixing it for free if it fell within the field measure changes. This did not unfortunately.

I will add a pic of the affected part. Mechanic found no leak path. Think it was the massive snow storm back in Xmas.

anyway I have my docs in hand to apply for the bluetec claim.
The following 2 users liked this post by RustyBucketBay:
andreigbs (03-24-2023), bugelrex (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 11:42 PM

Received 148 Likes on 122 Posts
2014 GLK350 base model (active) ; 2001 E320 base (retired); 2001 Wrangler soft-top
Interesting outcome ... it's great you posted the results!

So, is the theory that y'all had so much snow pile up, that it egressed somehow up inside the floorpan?

Was it not noticeable upon first entry after snow (i.e., damp floorboard / carpet) ?
RustyBucketBay (03-24-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 01:01 AM

GLK 250
Yeah I have no clue. But something like that. I had to drive through some serious snow drifts for hours. People had snow in their attics through gable vents etc. was some serious weather.

the guys were great at the service center. I asked to see the car before they buttoned it all up. It was still damp under there. No rust or anything just that one corroded sensor wire harness for NOx.

We have rubber mats, and it’s been mostly below freezing until recently. Way under the seat, not a place you’d see/feel. The glk has some serious foam/sponge padding under the carpet. It was all in that foam, the carpet itself was fine.

but no grommets missing etc. they said the inspected for leak paths/missing seals and said it was all fine. And they checked the other side and said that was bone dry. I’ll monitor during rain or use a hose in case it’s a door/sunroof seal but my guess is it got in from below or too much snow got in on that adventure.

edit: oh yeah I’d consider removing the seat and allowing it to air out in the summer. Also see if the problem had returned. The tech said unfortunately the airbag would need to be disconnected to remove the seat and carpet. So would result in a trip to a dealer after. So until I have the software I’ll just keep fingers crossed it was a one off freak incident.

Last edited by RustyBucketBay; 03-24-2023 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-24-2023, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 212 Posts
2013 glk 350
I had a wet floor from snow melt water being trapped under rubber mats . I put in a small electric heater for a few days, on the floor . Leave windows open a few inches so air can circulate. A wet floor will rust, electrical connections will corrode .
Old 03-24-2023, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 270 Likes on 228 Posts
GLK 250
It's great that they did the AEM, which means you now have quite a comprehensive extended warranty for the next 4yrs/48K miles. I would still get a good scan tool because you can reset error lights/CELs on your own without having to go to the stealership. I think Foxwell makes a decent one that can even force regens; not sure of the exact model though (search for something like NT510 or 530).

And glad they fixed the sensor issue but it sucks you were on the hook for $1k. At least the AEM reimbursement should hopefully make up for some of that. Here's the link in case you need it: Bluetec Settlement.

All the best going forward!
RustyBucketBay (03-24-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 02:24 PM

GLK 250
@andreigbs thank you kindly!