GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

EGR Problem with GLK 250

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 03:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 250 BLUETEC 2015
EGR Problem with GLK 250

Hi, im I new member, I readed all threads of this topic but I couldnt find information for my exactly situation, so im asking here for help and advises, my 2015 GLK 250 is having troubles with egr, 89K miles, i bought it on iaai, we dissasembly the egr to clean it cause it was stuck, put it back again and apparently is broke, is not fully closing, scanner showing negative % on the position of the flap, so im having troubles in the turbo A and getting into limp mode, im outside US and also dont have any tool to extract the ECU file by myself and send it to be coded, so I find a place where I can get the DPF, EGR, ADBLUE off in my country, they are charging me around 1K dollars, too much expensive but have no more options, the thing is that they say me I need to change the egr to one that fully works in order to dont have any problem with the ecu coding, I dont want to spend another 800 dollars to buy an egr + the price of the ecu coding, so I have this following questions:

- Do I really need to change the EGR in order to get the coding?
- Is possible to use the typically metal piece to manually block and delete the EGR and then make the ECU coding or will I get problems with this?
- Is there a way to try to recalibrate EGR or something similar after taking it off and clean it? Just to try to get it back to normal function and avoid getting a new one

If any one can help me I will really appreciate it, Im so tired with this problem, I already eliminated the dpf and the emission filter, they was clogged, now just trying to resolve the egr problem so I can finally use my glk as I would.
Old 04-15-2024, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 331 Likes on 264 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
Originally Posted by Egxsy
- Is possible to use the typically metal piece to manually block and delete the EGR and then make the ECU coding or will I get problems with this?
That is want I was going to suggest. If the coding is eliminating EGR then the block-off plate will ensure there is no EGR leak, and you should be all set.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 270 Likes on 228 Posts
GLK 250
It turns out there's nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes.

If you're unwilling to spend another $800-1000 to either replace the EGR or get the whole system "deleted" then you will be going around in circles not resolving much of anything.
The following users liked this post:
Odd Piggy (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 01:28 PM

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts
yes
Originally Posted by andreigbs
It turns out there's nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes.

If you're unwilling to spend another $800-1000 to either replace the EGR or get the whole system "deleted" then you will be going around in circles not resolving much of anything.

How do you know it was "cheap?" Maybe the owner paid a premium price and is dismayed with the thought of spending even more money on it.
Bill F (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Originally Posted by MBKLUE
How do you know it was "cheap?" Maybe the owner paid a premium price and is dismayed with the thought of spending even more money on it.
Hint #1: Bought it on IAAI, which is an insurance auto action place. You'll mostly find salvage title vehicles, destroyed repo's, and other similar treasures at those places. Buyer beware is their motto.
Hint #2: Doesn't have $800 for a new EGR valve, which would work just fine without any ECU coding (since stock coding includes use of EGR). Also, the price of a new EGR valve is under $200 if you bother to search instead of simply taking a shop's quote.
Hint #3: They "already eliminated the dpf and the emission filter, they was clogged," which is highly unlikely. It's shocking that a shop would simply hack off those parts without the requisite ECU software to disable exhaust aftertreatment in non-DPF setting. Without updated software, the ECU will attempt running regens even without a DPF and likely result in starting a fire. If they did alter the software to disable regens and SCR aftertreatment then they could also simply tune out EGR. Their explanation and methodology is suspect at best, but they'll attempt taking this customer for all he's worth.

A failed EGR valve is the least of this person's problems. They should have first fixed the issue(s) correctly in the proper sequence, at a shop that knows Euro diesels specifically. If they can't afford that and they're unable to research the issue on the web and start fixing it themselves, then they bought the wrong car.

calder-cay (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts
yes
Originally Posted by andreigbs
Hint #1: Bought it on IAAI, which is an insurance auto action place. You'll mostly find salvage title vehicles, destroyed repo's, and other similar treasures at those places. Buyer beware is their motto.
Hint #2: Doesn't have $800 for a new EGR valve, which would work just fine without any ECU coding (since stock coding includes use of EGR). Also, the price of a new EGR valve is under $200 if you bother to search instead of simply taking a shop's quote.
Hint #3: They "already eliminated the dpf and the emission filter, they was clogged," which is highly unlikely. It's shocking that a shop would simply hack off those parts without the requisite ECU software to disable exhaust aftertreatment in non-DPF setting. Without updated software, the ECU will attempt running regens even without a DPF and likely result in starting a fire. If they did alter the software to disable regens and SCR aftertreatment then they could also simply tune out EGR. Their explanation and methodology is suspect at best, but they'll attempt taking this customer for all he's worth.

A failed EGR valve is the least of this person's problems. They should have first fixed the issue(s) correctly in the proper sequence, at a shop that knows Euro diesels specifically. If they can't afford that and they're unable to research the issue on the web and start fixing it themselves, then they bought the wrong car.

Some fair points and you may be right but I also think you're making a good number of assumptions and the owner never stated he doesn't have $800.00 for a new EGR valve.
Old 04-15-2024, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Originally Posted by MBKLUE
Some fair points and you may be right but I also think you're making a good number of assumptions and the owner never stated he doesn't have $800.00 for a new EGR valve.
I know it's a bit harsh, but strong medicine tends to be. They found a 3-pointed star status symbol vehicle for cheap at auction that they had to have, but they were unaware and unprepared for the pitfalls and potential issues that a simple internet search BEFORE the purchase would've revealed.

Not much else can be said but good luck.

Trending Topics

Old 04-15-2024, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 449 Likes on 367 Posts
2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD
Reality is harsh sometimes.
I don’t know the OP’s level of expertise and experience nor do I know what kind of shop this is being done in. But what I do know is that I’ve read a number of these “resurrections” and most of them end badly (or never end) unless the DIYer is at the top of the E&E ladder and has a fully equipped shop. I’ve got everything except a hydraulic lift, and I don’t want to go there. I know 100 people who DIY. I know 4 that can perform these miracles: two that made businesses out of it, one that will when he has to, and only one who does it out of joy.

Last edited by Odd Piggy; 04-15-2024 at 06:37 PM.