GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

0 Starts remaining fixed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2024, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK250 Bluetec
0 Starts remaining fixed?

Hello. recently my wife was out of town and the dreaded 0 starts adblue warning came on. it's got about 5-6,000 km on the tank of def fluid. (it's a 2015 GLK 250)

closest dealer is 4 hours away. i went to the car after reading, and did a hard reset on the vehicle. disconnected the main battery, both terminals, also the aux battery under the dash, just unplugged it.
connected the main battery positive and negative cables together, left for 10 min. re connected, and pushed the start nothing, except showing 0 starts remaining. got out of the vehicle, locked the door with the fob, and unlocked , tried again and it showed two starts remining, and it started. we filled the tank with fuel i added an octane boost/cleaner, and topped up the def. drove for about 1.5 hours on the highway and got home. shut it off and restarted. repeated until 0 starts showing, and have since starred it 3 times. we plan to make the trek to the dealer this coming wednesday, the count still reads 0, but it's starting and running fine. anyone have this experience or thoughts on resetting the number of starts?

Thanks, Dan
Old 05-26-2024, 07:02 PM

GLK250 Bluetec
update

Originally Posted by danmannila
Hello. recently my wife was out of town and the dreaded 0 starts adblue warning came on. it's got about 5-6,000 km on the tank of def fluid. (it's a 2015 GLK 250)

closest dealer is 4 hours away. i went to the car after reading, and did a hard reset on the vehicle. disconnected the main battery, both terminals, also the aux battery under the dash, just unplugged it.
connected the main battery positive and negative cables together, left for 10 min. re connected, and pushed the start nothing, except showing 0 starts remaining. got out of the vehicle, locked the door with the fob, and unlocked , tried again and it showed two starts remining, and it started. we filled the tank with fuel i added an octane boost/cleaner, and topped up the def. drove for about 1.5 hours on the highway and got home. shut it off and restarted. repeated until 0 starts showing, and have since starred it 3 times. we plan to make the trek to the dealer this coming wednesday, the count still reads 0, but it's starting and running fine. anyone have this experience or thoughts on resetting the number of starts?

Thanks, Dan
Well the celebration was short lived. went this morning to see if the cold night killed the beast, and the 0 start code has won. have tried the battery cable connect, a couple of times, and now it's just where it was. So, about an 800$ tow job to get it to the dealer, and god knows what to follow then. i may change course and take it to the Toronto area, surely someone there can rip the guts out of that system.
Old 05-27-2024, 03:28 AM

Received 148 Likes on 122 Posts
2014 GLK350 base model (active) ; 2001 E320 base (retired); 2001 Wrangler soft-top
This is a bit intriguing (to me, anyway) ... I know you don't think it's intriguing, based on your current situation.

I wonder if this is specific to the diesel versions (?)
We have a 2014 GLK Base (gas) since 2016 with 92k miles now (bought at around 20k miles) and have yet to see this "xx Start" message.

Have you had ANY other issues around the timeframe you noticed this "xx Start" output ?
Old 05-27-2024, 04:44 AM

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts
yes
Originally Posted by calder-cay
This is a bit intriguing (to me, anyway) ... I know you don't think it's intriguing, based on your current situation.

We have a 2014 GLK Base (gas) since 2016 with 92k miles now (bought at around 20k miles) and have yet to see this "xx Start" message.

Have you had ANY other issues around the timeframe you noticed this "xx Start" output ?

Yes, specific to the BlueTEC Diesels. It's an emissions-related start "interlock" for the BlueTEC for when the Adblue liquid is low/used up (or the system is defective :-(
No relevance to the Gassers.

Last edited by MBKLUE; 05-27-2024 at 04:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
calder-cay (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 08:24 AM

GLK250 Bluetec
previous to the engine no start

Hello, approximately a month prior we ran the vehicle out of fuel. after adding enough, we cycled the key 3-4 times and then it started on the second try, ran rough til it purged the air. the engine light came on for low fuel rail pressure, but went out after about 5-6 starts. aside from that the ad blue def fluid hasnt been. low enough that a single jug didnt fill it. wondering if sensor on the def tank? trying the cross the battery cable trick, that worked the first time, and if not some tow company is going to very happy with us. it may only make it as far as the toyota dealer 2 hours away for a trade.

Cheers
The following users liked this post:
Bill F (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 01:07 PM

Received 148 Likes on 122 Posts
2014 GLK350 base model (active) ; 2001 E320 base (retired); 2001 Wrangler soft-top
Originally Posted by danmannila
approximately a month prior we ran the vehicle out of fuel. after adding enough
Another silly question on my part ... was the GLK fuel run out (empty) for a reason?

I've read where folks do that on purpose (for various reasons). I've always suggested to my wife, "when it gets to 1/2 a tank, stop and fill up".
Old 05-27-2024, 03:31 PM

GLK250 Bluetec
Another silly question on my part ... was the GLK fuel run out (empty) for a reason?

I've read where folks do that on purpose (for various reasons). I've always suggested to my wife, "when it gets to 1/2 a tank, stop and fill up".
No, unfortunately she though she could make it ... obviously not.

Trending Topics

Old 05-28-2024, 03:27 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
GLK350
Any chance this could be repaired under the diesel settlement? Don't know much about it, can others add in here pls?
Old 05-28-2024, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 270 Likes on 228 Posts
GLK 250
Take a look through this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...nt-canada.html

If your Bluetec has been repaired under the emissions settlement, it is covered under a very comprehensive extended warranty. I would check the VIN to see if it has been registered with MB Canada as "repaired" and if so, have it towed to the nearest authorized MB dealership. The rest should be covered under that warranty.

Here's the site for the VIN check: https://bluetecupdate.mercedes-benz.ca/en/home

If it says it's been fixed, you should have warranty coverage. If it's not, then the deadline has long since passed and you're basically on your own. You'll need to talk to a good tuner.
Old 05-31-2024, 10:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
On my 250 GLK, that I bought in October 2022, the '10 starts remaining' warning came on recently while on a long-ish trip away so I was somewhat alarmed. On that trip, the '10 starts' remained although I had had to stop and start it once. Then, on the drive back home, the message changed to '16 starts remaining', went back to 10, then back to 16, then went away completely. I researched it some and there are numerous youtube videos and online articles, and cheat techniques, to deal with this. In my case, it turned out it was low on adblue (for which strangely enough no warning appears in the dash, although it does set a code in the ECU). I also checked my car's recall status as suggested above, and it turned out I have 1 year warranty on the emissions system remaining. So definitely check that recall/warranty status on your diesel so you know what you can do vis-a-vis MB.