GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Service repaired wrong part

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2024, 04:14 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
GLK350 ML55 Ducati Porsche
Angry Service repaired wrong part

I took my GLK350 for repair front noise repair. They said it was wheel bearings, but i told them it could be transfer case. I must have asked them 6 time, are you sure. They were adamant it was wheel bearings.Anyhow they replaced both front bearings for $1100. Noise is still there and now they say it is transfer case.I paid and they will look for transfer case bearing kit. Frustrated!
Old 06-14-2024, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 270 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
They should credit you $1100 toward the transfer case work. GL...
Old 06-14-2024, 04:54 PM

Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts
2014 GLK350 base model (active) ; 2001 E320 base (retired); 2001 Wrangler soft-top
They should credit you $1100 toward the transfer case work. GL...
I AGREE completely!! I would demand they do the credit , because you ( @m00nd0gy ) had suggested it might be transfer case.
The following users liked this post:
m00nd0gy (06-15-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 273 Likes on 231 Posts
GLK 250
Was this an Indy shop or an MB dealer?
Old 06-14-2024, 06:46 PM
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Navy

Received 200 Likes on 163 Posts
SL63
Not for nothing, but if the bearing were anywhere close to their wear limit, you have a brand new set to rely on.
Old 06-14-2024, 08:24 PM

2014 GLK350 base model (active) ; 2001 E320 base (retired); 2001 Wrangler soft-top
Originally Posted by MB2timer
Not for nothing, but if the bearing were anywhere close to their wear limit, you have a brand new set to rely on.
Yea, but the shop said the bearings are bad ... after replacement, nothing changed.

Owner actually suggested a potential other problem.
Old 06-15-2024, 08:01 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
GLK350 ML55 Ducati Porsche
Lesson learnt; Go with mechanic for test drive to show them the noise. I know wheel bearing noise changes when turning. My noise is consistent when turning, does not change. After the repair the senior mechanic (owner) went for test drive with me, the noise was there before we left the parking area.
We all should be confident with our diagnics, especially with help from this forum. They said they put a scope to listen to the bearing noise. I would have made them put the listening scope to the transfer case, which they did after the bearing repair. And identified rear part of the transfer case is source of the noise.
Old 06-15-2024, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roll the windows up turn off radio and a/c. If you hear the whining noise coming from the trans tunnel near the shifter, it's the transfer case bearing. Very common unfortunately my 2012 has it. Cost for the bearing repair is 3K but at that point you may as well do the whole trans for 5K. That's what a reputable trans guy quoted me.
I would just turn up the radio or roll the windows down! You really can't hear it that well unless you are driving with the windows up / no radio. It will probably be only a noise until full failure which could be some time.
Lot's of money to invest unless you have a low mile truck.
Old 06-15-2024, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by amgwannabe
I would just turn up the radio or roll the windows down! You really can't hear it that well unless you are driving with the windows up / no radio. It will probably be only a noise until full failure which could be some time
Turn up the radio??

That's horrible advice, ESPECIALLY when discussing a transfer case issue. The longer you wait, the WORSE ($$$ wise) it ends up.
Old 06-15-2024, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calder-cay
Turn up the radio??

That's horrible advice, ESPECIALLY when discussing a transfer case issue. The longer you wait, the WORSE ($$$ wise) it ends up.
Joking... Not trying to suggest someone put their safety at risk on a primary vehicle. I've put a lot of miles on my car since the bearing issue started without any other set back other than the whine at low to mid speed/rpm. My car although in great shape and well maintained, is probably worth the cost of repair at this point. Trans guy that does these regularly on 4Matics told me he as long as I'm not doing cross country trips, driving Colorado mountains or tractor pulls the bearing could last some time, maybe longer than the car. He has replaced those bearings within a few years when these first had the issue and in cars like mine that are 12 years old 150k. Rarely he has to replace the housing and he always upgrades the output shaft during his rebuilds. Mine has been driving well for me for 20k, same noise no change in tone or pitch. And, yes with the radio on in my GLK you can't hear whining. Thankfully it's a second car I use for grocery getting. If I was to repair, I would do the 5K full trans. But, not worth the investment for me at this point of the GLK's life. The car is probably worth more parting out if I had the space and time. It's a shame so many great things about this car but now two issues back to back for me that are breaking the GLK's and my back. Just trying to share my experience.
I hope your bearing whine noise is not the same as mine. Please be safe and take care of your GLK, it will take care of you like it has for me for 12 years!