GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Another GLK with fuel leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2024, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GLK 350
Another GLK with fuel leak

My daughter's 2014 GLK 350 4matic has developed a fuel leak on the driver's side fuel filter. I cleaned it up and started the car and it appears to be leaking around the nipple where the blue fuel line goes on. I don't see any cracks in the plastic housing and was I was wondering how hard it is to change the blue fuel line? I can't find the other end of the hose. I don't want to go through the trouble and expense of replacing the filter only to find out that the hose was the problem.
Old 08-17-2024, 10:12 AM

2014 GLK 350
Forgot to say thanks!
Old 08-17-2024, 01:08 PM

Received 148 Likes on 122 Posts
2014 GLK350 base model (active) ; 2001 E320 base (retired); 2001 Wrangler soft-top
Originally Posted by Stevemillermd
My daughter's 2014 GLK 350 4matic has developed a fuel leak on the driver's side fuel filter.

I cleaned it up and started the car and it **appears to be leaking** around the nipple where the blue fuel line goes on.
In my mind, "appears to be leaking" isn't a definitive conclusion.

If you wrote, "it's no doubt leaking ...", then it's obvious of the problem.

Unfortunately, I can't provide a list of "check this and check that".
I will state there are a number posts out here of folks complaining of a "fuel odor", which might help (three links to threads):

https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...l-no-leak.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...ling-tank.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...-over-car.html

I post those because some have photos similar to what you provided. If I remember correctly, it's a gasket leak for the plate.

(keep in mind, I've been retired for over three years and my mind is mush, so the above might be rwong 👍 ).

Last edited by calder-cay; 08-17-2024 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-17-2024, 01:15 PM

2014 GLK 350
Sorry I should have put it's definitely leaking where the hose goes onto the nipple, I could see it coming from there, and even though the hose clicks on it is loose and wiggles a bit. I did not see an O-ring inside of the hose end. I will have a look at those posts though, thanks
Old 08-17-2024, 03:00 PM

Received 171 Likes on 131 Posts
2011 GLK 350 4Matic
I'm chasing a similar problem but my 2011 is obviously different from your 2014 (no blue hose - or any hose - on my driver's side fuel tank "cap"). In my case, the leak is on the right (passenger's) side cap, and I'm starting to believe that the problem is that the leak is coming through the plug (indicating a leak in the cap "electrical feedthrough") but I'm taking it a step at a time and (big shock...) video-documenting the process.

Anyway, in the end, what you have is "just a loose hose" - I'd check to see if it's possible that your year GLK is supposed to have some sort of quick disconnect or clamp on that line. If not, it seems like a fairly trivial matter to come up with a workable and robust solution to clamping that hose onto the nipple to keep it from leaking. This assumes that the pressure is reasonably low (I believe that the low pressure fuel pump in the tank produces 40-50 psi). That's well under my house plumbing pressure, so it's not a super-tough job to make a secure connection. A MB online parts diagram might show if there are any clamps or other devices to contain that pressure / secure the hose.
Old 08-17-2024, 04:32 PM

2014 GLK 350
Originally Posted by habbyguy
I'm chasing a similar problem but my 2011 is obviously different from your 2014 (no blue hose - or any hose - on my driver's side fuel tank "cap"). In my case, the leak is on the right (passenger's) side cap, and I'm starting to believe that the problem is that the leak is coming through the plug (indicating a leak in the cap "electrical feedthrough") but I'm taking it a step at a time and (big shock...) video-documenting the process.

Anyway, in the end, what you have is "just a loose hose" - I'd check to see if it's possible that your year GLK is supposed to have some sort of quick disconnect or clamp on that line. If not, it seems like a fairly trivial matter to come up with a workable and robust solution to clamping that hose onto the nipple to keep it from leaking. This assumes that the pressure is reasonably low (I believe that the low pressure fuel pump in the tank produces 40-50 psi). That's well under my house plumbing pressure, so it's not a super-tough job to make a secure connection. A MB online parts diagram might show if there are any clamps or other devices to contain that pressure / secure the hose.
It has a green button that you can see in the picture around 6 o'clock, that clicks when it is pushed on but it's still looser than I would expect, and that is where the gas is coming from. I will check a diagram as you suggest though, just to make sure, or maybe I can add something there but it's a hard plastic piece so I don't know. Thanks for the suggestion and good luck with your leak.