GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

where to buy OEM rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 08:49 AM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 GLS 450
where to buy OEM rims

Hi Everyone! I just bought a brand new GLS450 and I love it! What I'm not in love with are the rims. I looked on the MBUSA site and I'm finding only one rim option under accessories. Any suggestions for original Mercedes or AMG rims besides going to the dealer? BTW I don't want 20 inch or bigger because I don't want to lose any ride comfort. I wish the car would have come with the rims that I had on my 2014 ML but I don't want used rims either.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 GL350
The dealership should have an accessories catalog if you are looking for OEM rims. An alternate would be to get it from tirerack or a similar reputable place.

I currently have a 19s on GL X166 but am finding out that most places do not stock the 19 tires. They have to special ordered. I had a flat a couple months ago while on a road trip about 800 miles away from home. I was stuck in a small town for two days until the tires came in. The local Mercedes dealership didnt even have them. Now I am considering to upgrade my 19s to 20s. It looks like the 20s are more readily available.
The following users liked this post:
Strafzettel (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 03:45 PM

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
--
Originally Posted by Strafzettel
Hi Everyone! I just bought a brand new GLS450 and I love it! What I'm not in love with are the rims. I looked on the MBUSA site and I'm finding only one rim option under accessories. Any suggestions for original Mercedes or AMG rims besides going to the dealer? BTW I don't want 20 inch or bigger because I don't want to lose any ride comfort. I wish the car would have come with the rims that I had on my 2014 ML but I don't want used rims either.

eBay is a great resource for rims made available by people taking OEM off to put aftermarket on.

look for a reputable seller with perfect feedback
Strafzettel (09-27-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 07:51 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
'21 M5Comp, '17 GLS450,'17 Range Rover, '08 Carrera 4S
Same problem here. I went to the dealer yesterday and they indicated there are no 18" rims available for the GLS450, either in the US or Europe.

So, I've been trying to figure out aftermarket wheels; which are designed to an industry standard, which have appropriate offset, etc.

I'm just not an ebay guy; I'd much prefer to deal face-to-face with someone. Discount Tire handles all my tire needs so I'll probably go through them.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:02 PM

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
2019 Audi Q8, 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2015 GL63, & 2005 E500W4
www.factorywheelwarehouse.com has a good selection
Old 10-01-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
'21 M5Comp, '17 GLS450,'17 Range Rover, '08 Carrera 4S
Originally Posted by Yoni94
www.factorywheelwarehouse.com has a good selection
Nothing for the GLS450 though.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resu...&package=false
Strafzettel (10-05-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 01:41 AM

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
2019 Audi Q8, 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2015 GL63, & 2005 E500W4
Your 20" rule is a problem. The AMG wheels are 21". You can get AMG wheels here: http://www.factorywheelwarehouse.com...50-21x10-85274

Hey, you're in Illinois! Nice to see another Illinoisan on the forum.
Strafzettel (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 11:43 AM

2017 GLS 450
Thanks for the responses everyone! My dealer doesn't have a brochure that he could send and from what I found on the MBUSA site it looks like the GLS550 rims are my most favorite choice but expensive and not in 19 inch. I guess I'll save my money and keep the rims I have, at least I won't cry when they get a scratch.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:52 PM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
Thanks for the responses everyone! My dealer doesn't have a brochure that he could send and from what I found on the MBUSA site it looks like the GLS550 rims are my most favorite choice but expensive and not in 19 inch. I guess I'll save my money and keep the rims I have, at least I won't cry when they get a scratch.
I have a 2015 ML350 with the standard twin spoke 19 inch wheels and that are in excellent shape. I purchased a set of 19 inch wheels this summer, which were takeoff from a MB dealer. They are were off a 2014 GL and have them sitting in my garage. My plan is to put tires on them in the next month and I will be selling the ones that came on my car. If you are interested let me know . I live in southern Illinois and can send you pictures.

Ron
618-978-4314
Old 11-27-2017, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Hey I know you were looking for 19", but check out Midwest Wheel and Tire. Theyre prices are quite reasonable for a brand new model year.
https://midwestwheelandtire.com/whee...50/2017-gls450

Also, when I was looking for OEM rims for the winter set, Ebay was a real help. I got the same 19" sort of style you have for our 2010 GL with 4 rims for $400 and I really like that style. Looks classy.

But if youre really keen; try a different year. heres one with a 19" option from 2014
https://midwestwheelandtire.com/whee...450/2014-gl450

and mine from 2010
https://midwestwheelandtire.com/whee...450/2010-gl450

or curve ball...youll like this
2014 Ml550 AMG 19" wheel!

https://midwestwheelandtire.com/prod...lloy-wheel-rim

Hope you like the recommendations!
Strafzettel (11-27-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gl450
Originally Posted by kombifan
Hey I know you were looking for 19", but check out Midwest Wheel and Tire. Theyre prices are quite reasonable for a brand new model year.
https://midwestwheelandtire.com/whee...50/2017-gls450

Also, when I was looking for OEM rims for the winter set, Ebay was a real help. I got the same 19" sort of style you have for our 2010 GL with 4 rims for $400 and I really like that style. Looks classy.

But if youre really keen; try a different year. heres one with a 19" option from 2014
https://midwestwheelandtire.com/whee...450/2014-gl450

and mine from 2010
https://midwestwheelandtire.com/whee...450/2010-gl450

or curve ball...youll like this
2014 Ml550 AMG 19" wheel!

https://midwestwheelandtire.com/prod...lloy-wheel-rim

Hope you like the recommendations!
I have a set of OEM 19s that I’ve used the last two years on our GL in winter. I’d be open to considering selling.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 703 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Sounds like you have a pretty lazy dealer..... All Mercedes service centers have access to the entire Mercedes parts catalog, its all in the computer. Just call another MB dealer in Chicago, I think there are 5..... I would recommend you to forgo OEM rims anyway unless you are willing to pay absolutely ridiculous prices. The optional 20 inch winter set from MB is 4000 dollars for rims and tires. A non OEM set from tirerack is essentially half the price. BTW, no one, except MB dealers carries new OEM rims.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:33 AM

2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Sounds like you have a pretty lazy dealer..... All Mercedes service centers have access to the entire Mercedes parts catalog, its all in the computer. Just call another MB dealer in Chicago, I think there are 5..... I would recommend you to forgo OEM rims anyway unless you are willing to pay absolutely ridiculous prices. The optional 20 inch winter set from MB is 4000 dollars for rims and tires. A non OEM set from tirerack is essentially half the price. BTW, no one, except MB dealers carries new OEM rims.
I saw a video where they tested non OEM rims by running over something to see how they withstand potholes and the non OEM rim broke real fast. We have lots and lots of potholes here in Chicago, one of the main reasons why I like my ride soft and comfy.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I saw a video where they tested non OEM rims by running over something to see how they withstand potholes and the non OEM rim broke real fast. We have lots and lots of potholes here in Chicago, one of the main reasons why I like my ride soft and comfy.
hmmm potholes will mangle any soft rim....whether oem or aftermarket.

I understand though, I love the stock look of a car.
Strafzettel, have you had a chance to look at some of the links I posted? They’re all reconditioned oem rims. I think you’ll like the ml amg wheels.

Btw I noticed your gls doesn’t have the lighting package, do you have plans to retrofit hid into the stock halogen projectors ?
Old 12-21-2017, 11:01 AM

2017 GLS 450

hmmm potholes will mangle any soft rim....whether oem or aftermarket.

I understand though, I love the stock look of a car.
Strafzettel, have you had a chance to look at some of the links I posted? They’re all reconditioned oem rims. I think you’ll like the ml amg wheels.

Btw I noticed your gls doesn’t have the lighting package, do you have plans to retrofit hid into the stock halogen projectors ?
I would think a soft rim might take a bump while a hard rim would brake since it doesn't give in.

Don't know if I've gotten used to the look of my rims or what but I think in person they don't look that bad, it's more in photos where I don't like them. I did look at all the links that people posted here and I like the fact that my rims are OEM and new just like my car and since I'm the only one driving it, I know that they haven't been abused which means that I don't expect anything to go wrong with them.
And you are totally right about the stock look of cars, I like that. I understand that some people want some personal touch on their cars but if I was to buy a used one, I would always go for one that hasn't been messed with. There is another thread here where someone put different wheels on his GL63 and then complained about the car not behaving as it should. He put the regular wheels on and everything was fine... that proofs that Mercedes engineers know what they are doing, so I rather play it safe and just go with that!

About my stock halogen lights... I'm probably the only one here who isn't unhappy with them but I live in the city and we have so many street lights that people sometimes drive around with their lights off and totally don't notice it, so I'm fine. Those retrofit kits bring me back to my point about engineers doing it right and people messing with it... I wouldn't.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's an interesting take on rims, but from what I have heard soft rims bend and mangle easier to hard hits because they are so soft. It's like a hot knife through cold butter I hear.

I think the gl rims are a good compromise, although I've heard complaints from each class owners.

I've read that thread you are referring to...but I think that's more of a fact oe VS aftermarket.
Im extremely happy with my ebc rotors and akebono pads; but then there are somethings that oe does better and others that aftermarket has the best solution.
Unfortunate though, I had just found a pair of the ml wheels on eBay for 900 with tires and tpms in my area that would have been perfect for what you were looking for.

Humm those mb engineers....I'm glad you're happy with the stock halogen, but it irritates me so to see a gl without xenons and even the cla, c or even a GLC with halogen reflector lights. It's baffling that they would even let it leave the factory like that.
It really ticks me off, especially when the tech has been around since the late 90s...came on my 00 ml55 and is stock on my "lowly" vw gli...

But I'm digressing.

I would think a soft rim might take a bump while a hard rim would brake since it doesn't give in.

Don't know if I've gotten used to the look of my rims or what but I think in person they don't look that bad, it's more in photos where I don't like them. I did look at all the links that people posted here and I like the fact that my rims are OEM and new just like my car and since I'm the only one driving it, I know that they haven't been abused which means that I don't expect anything to go wrong with them.
And you are totally right about the stock look of cars, I like that. I understand that some people want some personal touch on their cars but if I was to buy a used one, I would always go for one that hasn't been messed with. There is another thread here where someone put different wheels on his GL63 and then complained about the car not behaving as it should. He put the regular wheels on and everything was fine... that proofs that Mercedes engineers know what they are doing, so I rather play it safe and just go with that!

About my stock halogen lights... I'm probably the only one here who isn't unhappy with them but I live in the city and we have so many street lights that people sometimes drive around with their lights off and totally don't notice it, so I'm fine. Those retrofit kits bring me back to my point about engineers doing it right and people messing with it... I wouldn't.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:55 AM

2017 GLS 450
That's an interesting take on rims, but from what I have heard soft rims bend and mangle easier to hard hits because they are so soft. It's like a hot knife through cold butter I hear.

I think the gl rims are a good compromise, although I've heard complaints from each class owners.

I've read that thread you are referring to...but I think that's more of a fact oe VS aftermarket.
Im extremely happy with my ebc rotors and akebono pads; but then there are somethings that oe does better and others that aftermarket has the best solution.
Unfortunate though, I had just found a pair of the ml wheels on eBay for 900 with tires and tpms in my area that would have been perfect for what you were looking for.

Humm those mb engineers....I'm glad you're happy with the stock halogen, but it irritates me so to see a gl without xenons and even the cla, c or even a GLC with halogen reflector lights. It's baffling that they would even let it leave the factory like that.
It really ticks me off, especially when the tech has been around since the late 90s...came on my 00 ml55 and is stock on my "lowly" vw gli...

But I'm digressing.

One possible reason could be that, if they made the more expensive lights standard it would push the base price a little and then they couldn't say anymore that the GLS starts at just under 70K ?

I found that video about OEM wheels

Old 12-21-2017, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Haha very well could be! But then it would make sense to put the lighting package under premium 1....

Oh well...it's the marketing people in NJ who decide this anyways....

If you're interested I found this whole forum on Amg replica wheels.
USA rims.com seems to be a winner.
https://mbworld.org/forums/wheels-ti...-wheels-2.html

One possible reason could be that, if they made the more expensive lights standard it would push the base price a little and then they couldn't say anymore that the GLS starts at just under 70K ?

I found that video about OEM wheels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g05gODNU04Q